Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

California? California.

e: Ah, hell, new page. gently caress, now I have to put a little effort in.

I spent a few months in San Francisco as an intern in CS and it is UNBELIEVABLE how many people are just that kind of crazy. As an actual graduate-degree-holding AI researcher (and, before that part of my life, a LessWrongRobot), let me agree that Yudkowsky is insane. He has all these clever one-sentence rebuttals to being told that his work is meaningless by the AI research community (he has self-published journal articles. I mean, come on, guy.), but has failed to consider the most obvious one: he is working in the center of a cult and his work is actually meaningless outside the cult.

Seconding the request for a LessWrong mock thread so that those of us who care about that can let you guys get back to TVTropes.

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

SolTerrasa posted:

California? California.

e: Ah, hell, new page. gently caress, now I have to put a little effort in.

I spent a few months in San Francisco as an intern in CS and it is UNBELIEVABLE how many people are just that kind of crazy. As an actual graduate-degree-holding AI researcher (and, before that part of my life, a LessWrongRobot), let me agree that Yudkowsky is insane. He has all these clever one-sentence rebuttals to being told that his work is meaningless by the AI research community (he has self-published journal articles. I mean, come on, guy.), but has failed to consider the most obvious one: he is working in the center of a cult and his work is actually meaningless outside the cult.

Seconding the request for a LessWrong mock thread.

If I knew as much as the rest of you about Yudkowsky's philosophy I'd consider starting it.

Maybe Saeku, if he's interested?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The more I read LessWrong, the more I feel my brain cells committing suicide one by one. I'm almost curious to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Do any of them even have a plan for how to make God GlaDOS ALL POWERFUL BENEVOLENT AIs or are they just assuming that by throwing money at Yudkowsky that they'll bring about the singularity sooner 'cause he does the thinking for them?

SolTerrasa posted:

(he has self-published journal articles. I mean, come on, guy.)

That is the single saddest, most pathetic sentence I have read all week. I almost feel sorry for him, but then he would probably correct that with another logic bomb and I'd lose a few more brain cells trying to parse his language.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
I gave yudkowsky all my parents' money, I'll probably be one of the guys who torture you shitlords in robot hell.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Another thing I love is how these kinds of lunatics always jump straight to rape kill torture. I mean, you'd never see the god-AI threaten to wreck the economy or shut down infrastructure until we do as we're told.

It's straight to TORTURE which is HORRIBLE like in SYRIA :byodood: Or to how it's is worse to get dust in your eye than being TORTURED FOR FIFTY YEARS :supaburn:

It's almost as though their emotional response to sex and violence is driving them rather than enlightened logic. Plus there's much more smug glee in defending atrocities as the truly rational option.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012
Hey, check this out: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/a_webby_for_tom_pike_and_co.php

This can't be real, can it?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I'm curious, is there any overlap between LessWrong and those Dark Enlightenment psychos?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

How long before tropers start claiming credit for all that guy did? Sure, I have a bad feeling about this guy's hiring, but at least he's done something with enough merit to get noticed.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

I'm curious, is there any overlap between LessWrong and those Dark Enlightenment psychos?

Only insofar as some neo-reactionaries want society to be ruled by an immortal and perfect philosopher-king AI. IIRC, the neo-reactionaries who showed up on LessWrong got booted out and made their own warren of inane sophistry called "MoreRight".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Wales Grey posted:

Only insofar as some neo-reactionaries want society to be ruled by an immortal and perfect philosopher-king AI. IIRC, the neo-reactionaries who showed up on LessWrong got booted out and made their own warren of inane sophistry called "MoreRight".
It's closer than you'd think. Konkvistador and Mike Annisimov were big posters on LW and they didn't get chased out so much as get tired of being contradicted. Less Wrong poster Yvain made an anti-reactionary FAQ to justify not being one. They're a minority, but a loud and respected one

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Anime/Wild Mass Guessing posted:

All anime takes place several million years into the future after a major cataclysm destroys all life forms larger than a cat (basically, the extinction of dinosaurs, but with humans). Another sentient species evolves from the aye-aye, and develops a society quite similar to our own. What we think is a stylistic rendering of homo sapiens is actually a realistic rendering of humans' successors. Anime producers and mangaka are actually a society of time travellers who have seen this new species for themselves.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Some completely bugfuck tropers posted:

That would explain the Over Nine Thousand quantities of erotic 'Hentai' from Japan (that includes Moe and Naughty Tentacles), and why Anime looks too Uncanny Valley. During the time of the Empire of Japan Anime wasn't so much popular. In fact, the Japanese instead raped massive numbers of Chinese people during WW2. After Japan lost the war the US stripped them off their imperial military, meaning they cannot rape foreigners anymore. Meanwhile, Geishas were expensive, and the middle-class don't want to spend so much money after Japan was nuked. The solution: make idealized portrayals of foreigners and Rape 'Em!!!!

quote:

Oh! That also explains all the But Not Too Foreign characters. First, idealize foreign characters. Second, rape them. Third, they get preagnent. Fourth, rape them while preagnant. Fifth, they give birth to half Japanese children. Sixth, rape them too (this step is Lolicon and Shotacon. Seventh, they grow to childbearing age. Eight, rape them again. Ninth, they get pregnant... All while still raping more idealized foreigners on the side.
:tvtropes: :tvtropes: :tvtropes:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Hmm. An intriguing position, to be sure, but what of the aye-aye's famously elongated middle finger? This may just be a consequence of my limited experience with anime, but I fail to see the expected manifestation of this trait. On the other hand, might not the bushbaby function acceptably in lieu of the aye-aye in this hypothesis? This warrants further thought.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

:psyduck:

I really wish I could say more but goddamn, those posts.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
What about the animes that don't have rape in them?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Maremidon posted:

It's closer than you'd think. Konkvistador and Mike Annisimov were big posters on LW and they didn't get chased out so much as get tired of being contradicted. Less Wrong poster Yvain made an anti-reactionary FAQ to justify not being one. They're a minority, but a loud and respected one

I guess I'm just constantly surprised at how regressive futurists/utopian idealists are. You'd think that a group that's so dedicated to progress would do better than fetishize some of the worst parts of the past. :sigh:

edit:

what the gently caress am i reading

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Leofish posted:

Oh please, we know such a thing doesn't exist.

" I'm not making this poo poo up posted:

Anime will replace real females as sex slaves, or substitutes for lovers.

It was based on this article. Seriously, anime are so beautiful, they are even loved and had sex to like how we have sex with real life humans in this world, even to the extent of romance and interactive emotions. That plain cuteness and lack of free will is so arousing......

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Soulcleaver posted:

How do these people exist? :psygonk:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

That first one is clearly a joke taking the piss out of anime. Those replies, though... Jesus Christ. :psypop:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Meta example of TVTropes being awful: the last two or three properties I looked up on TVT for this thread have wound up reinvigorating my desire to watch/play whatever it is. Figure that The Simpsons would have some :stare: stuff, but I got 1/3rd the way through the page and decided to play Simpsons Hit & Run while watching my old DVDs.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To be fair, Hit and Run was a legitimately good game for its' time (sure as gently caress better than the one that came before it, anyhow).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Leofish posted:

That's true, despite its unfair reputation not all anime is about rape. For example, when I was a kid I really liked Pokemon-

WMG: Pokemon: Pokemon Anime Subpage posted:

Cilan raped Burgundy.

Anyone else get the feeling?

Fits in with the Shadow Trio WMGs Considering who that Trio directly reports to.

WMG: Pokemon: Pokemon Anime Subpage: Ash's Father Sub-Subpage why do you need so many nested pages posted:

I can see Giovanni as a Missing Parent with a tint of Rape as Drama. Delia had him when she was 18 from what I understand...

Er, I guess I meant Yu-Gi-Oh?

WMG: Yu-Gi-Oh posted:

During Marik's tombkeeper's initiation, which was traumatic enough to complete the separation of Marik and his hatred, Marik's father didn't just carve magical hieroglyphics into Marik's back while everybody watched; Marik's father also raped Marik
after carving the hieroglyphics, though the rape was off-camera due to Marik being blinded by the similar pain in his back so we don't witness it. (Rape and inbreeding wouldn't be unheard of in an ancient underground cult like those tombkeepers, don't ya think?) Marik( and us viewers) don't see( and thus KNOW that) Marik was raped, though Marik was still effected and made to wonder what events took place specifically. This is where Yami no Marik got his powerful fetish for raping the minds of random people and killing them.

WMG: Yu-Gi-Oh posted:

Another thing is that, in some ancient cultures, if a man wanted a woman to marry him, and she was unwilling, he would just rape her. This would allow him to "claim" her as his wife, since no one else would want her. Why the hell would Marik's mother have married a man like her husband, unless she was forced to?

Well then. What else am I pretty sure didn't have rape in it? Death Note?

WMG: Death Note: L And Light subpage posted:

Light is a child of rape or kidnapping. Either that or he dyes his hair.

JFC learn how recessive alleles work you loving lunatics, stop making rape your first response to everything.

The good news is that at least Sailor Moon doesn't have any rapes in it! ...just "Mind Rape" and one character "making her think she was going to get raped at one point" and some very overt rape overtones.

Despite complaining constantly about the perception that all anime is about rape, tropers seem pretty convinced that all anime is about rape.

In short,

Soulcleaver posted:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Another thing is that, in some ancient cultures, if a man wanted a woman to marry him, and she was unwilling, he would just rape her. This would allow him to "claim" her as his wife, since no one else would want her.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Out of curiosity I looked up the trope page for Dominic Deegan and it is gigantic.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

what the gently caress am I looking at right now? :gonk:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Austrian mook posted:

what the gently caress am I looking at right now? :gonk:

Dominic Deegan rape scene. Because a distressed woman who saw her parents die needs to be raped to be saved.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
One of the Terrible Webcomics thread's favourite things, along with loss.jpg.

Basically, some far-too up-himself webcomic authour thought to himself:

Hmm. Plenty of fiction has heroic criminals, like killers and thieves... why not a rapist?

Of course, there's have to be some sort of extenuating circumstances so he's still a hero, like how Robin Hood gives to the poor, and Dexter only kills other killers... this will take all my authourial skill to justify...

Of course! Bad men will kill them both if he doesn't!

And then she can forgive him and they fall in love.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Elfface posted:

Hmm. Plenty of fiction has heroic criminals, like killers and thieves... why not a rapist?

Of course, there's have to be some sort of extenuating circumstances so he's still a hero, like how Robin Hood gives to the poor, and Dexter only kills other killers... this will take all my authourial skill to justify...

So does he only rape people who deserve it?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Elfface posted:

Even better, she falls in love with her rapist because he reminds her of her dad :shepicide:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Elfface posted:

Dear lord. Webcomics. gently caress.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ahahahaha fuckin' Dominic Deegan's Adventures of the Sexy Rapist.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Testekill posted:

So does he only rape people who deserve it?

It gets even worse when you see the cast react.

The only time people call Rapeman out it's because a demon is possessing them.

A character we're supposed to think is kind gets drunk and makes jokes to the woman about that time she got raped. This is framed to look cheeky and not at all monstrous.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Jesus, that webcomic reminds me of some dude who argued that the one story in the Bible where the Israelites take home a bunch of teenage girls for brides wasn't rape :psyboom:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Jesus, that webcomic reminds me of some dude who argued that the one story in the Bible where the Israelites take home a bunch of teenage girls for brides wasn't rape :psyboom:

There's a lot of weird rapey stuff in the bible, I'm surprised that the Tropers don't love it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Austrian mook posted:

There's a lot of weird rapey stuff in the bible, I'm surprised that the Tropers don't love it.

but the bible is also religious and tropers are usually internet atheists

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

corn in the bible posted:

but the bible is also religious and tropers are usually internet atheists

The great paradox of our time.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

corn in the bible posted:

but the bible is long and also a book

Fixed that for you

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is there an anime version of the bible, and does it have a TvTropes page?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Austrian mook posted:

Is there an anime version of the bible, and does it have a TvTropes page?

Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllLoveIsUnrequited

:lol:

"While (thankfully) not always the case, this trope is often true of Real Life. As a rule of thumb, people tend to be most attracted to people who are "out of their league": more attractive or talented or popular than themselves. As a result, almost everyone has had a lot more experience with unrequited crushes, both as the crusher and the crushee, than with actual successful relationships.

Very often happens amongst taken best friends."

• Locked thread