Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
This doesn't feel like the Wii Fit Trainer leak that happened. This dude just happen to get lucky with the vaguest guess. I'd have more faith in that leak if say Shulk had gotten in rather than Greninja since he specifically names Shulk instead of "A character from Xenoblade Chronicles" type bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

DrPaper posted:

It's culled a lot of "leaks" floating out there at least. There was practically none with Geninja, and pretty much all of them still have Zelda/Shiek, Pokemon Trainer or introduce a new character who changes. Right now the Gamasutra leak is the only one that hasn't been killed - even if 'A Pokemon from X and Y' is safe baby bullshit. Doesn't mean it's more real, but it's the only left to be debunked.

I really want to believe the Gamasutra leak just because everything it calls sounds awesome. Do you even know how much I'd love Rhythm Heaven Chorus Men as a fuckin character.

If you want my bet I think the initial Wii Fit Trainer leak was legit and Pac-Man and Mii will be a thing but some other guy claiming to be the same guy who leaked WFT made the newer call with Shulk, XY Pokemon, Chorus Men et al. But I still wanna believe it anywho.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Excels posted:

Something seems mildly racist about this picture, can't quite put my finger on it.

You're right. Where's Lucina :mad:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Someone really busted their rear end rendering the Super Scope right down to the screws.

e: and in the distance you can see a busful of kids on their way to Camp.

Excels fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 9, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

nerdbot posted:

I really want to believe the Gamasutra leak just because everything it calls sounds awesome. Do you even know how much I'd love Rhythm Heaven Chorus Men as a fuckin character.

If you want my bet I think the initial Wii Fit Trainer leak was legit and Pac-Man and Mii will be a thing but some other guy claiming to be the same guy who leaked WFT made the newer call with Shulk, XY Pokemon, Chorus Men et al. But I still wanna believe it anywho.

I will say though, failing to specify the Pokemon does start to make it a little shaky. Unless he knew Greninja was coming that day specifically and didn't want to ruin it for the Direct - which is possible, but also just convenient.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think the Pokemon name can be explained by few things:

-there are a lot of pokemons (I have Y but I couldn't remember Greninja's name), so if you're not into Pokemon it can be confusing.

-The name might have been the Japanese name.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
who cares about that, samus is wearing bunny ears

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I'm guessing Char-X is Charizard's only Mega Evolution in this.

Also, Global Smash Power to me still sounds like a ranking system to me provided that one knows exactly how many 'ranked' players there are.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I would take this person's word as gospel if they actually predicted Greninja, because he's not an obvious "star Pokemon" in the way that other inclusions have been. But "Pokemon from XY" is easy and broad and not worth any cred at all.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Hmm if Charizard X is Charizard's mega evolution they could use Mewtwo to represent Y's mega evolution.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

GenericMartini posted:

Hmm if Charizard X is Charizard's mega evolution they could use Mewtwo to represent Y's mega evolution.

Or he could use neither because he's not in. :twisted:

But seriously, I think they just chose X because it looked more different from his main design and is cooler. Maybe he'll get Mega Y on the 3DS?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They chose X because X is the Badass Black Charizard, let's not even pretend here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mega Charizard Y doesn't look different enough.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Bongo Bill posted:

Mega Charizard Y doesn't look different enough.

This is pretty much it. That and it's main deal doesn't really translate well in Smash (it got really sunny out!)

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
So is Ness coming back, or what? He's like one of the only original SSB characters that hasn't shown up in a reveal yet. And, I guess, Captain Falcon?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's still a bunch of characters who I think are basically guaranteed, but not announced yet:

-Captain Falcon
-Ness
-Ganondorf
-Falco
-Jigglypuff
-Metaknight
-Wario
-G&W

The characters who I think are very likely gone are Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur. Everyone else I'd peg at various states of uncertainty.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Naerasa posted:

So is Ness coming back, or what? He's like one of the only original SSB characters that hasn't shown up in a reveal yet. And, I guess, Captain Falcon?

And Jigglypuff. Luigi's the only one of the original four unlocks that's been revealed yet.

I feel like they're definitely coming back, because they're basically integral to the series. It's just not Smash Bros without Ness and Captain Falcon.

EDIT: At this point Ness is probably more of a Smash icon than a Mother icon. I'd actually kind of like to see them embrace that; work with Itoi and redesign Ness to both represent Earthbound and Smash itself.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 9, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cleretic posted:

At this point Ness is probably more of a Smash icon than a Mother icon. I'd actually kind of like to see them embrace that; work with Itoi and redesign Ness to both represent Earthbound and Smash itself.

It seems like they've redesigned Zero Suit Samus to represent Smash more actually. So should we give Ness neon high heels?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That's a lot of characters to unveil before Summer, I wonder if they're going to reveal much more characters in the coming weeks (instead of one or two per month) or that they are secret characters.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
It'd be really, really surprising if Ness wasn't in.

I also think it's pretty cool that Zero Suit Samus is separate, because it means now she'll have a functional Final Smash and not "Transform into the character I didn't pick because I don't find her fun to play."

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I still can't believe the Galaga ships showing up. Are you making this game just for me, Sakurai? :allears:

:v: Also gently caress all the PacHaters. If anyone should show up next to Mario, Sonic and Mega Man it's the muthafuckin' Pac Man. :v:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

unimportantguy posted:

It'd be really, really surprising if Ness wasn't in.

I also think it's pretty cool that Zero Suit Samus is separate, because it means now she'll have a functional Final Smash and not "Transform into the character I didn't pick because I don't find her fun to play."

What would Zero Suit Samus' final smash even be? Calling in her ship for a bombing run maybe?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Final Smash authorized.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's still a bunch of characters who I think are basically guaranteed, but not announced yet:

-Captain Falcon
-Ness
-Ganondorf
-Falco
-Jigglypuff
-Metaknight
-Wario
-G&W

The characters who I think are very likely gone are Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur. Everyone else I'd peg at various states of uncertainty.

Falco and Wolf seems like an either/or thing to me, and with the polar bear in Smash Run I'd say that means the Ice Climbers are back (though I'm disgustingly biased on the subject of Ice Climbers), but other than that I'd say yeah, we can guarantee all these guys basically.

We're up to 29 confirmed dudes now, and I'd say we can guarantee another 9 veterans on top of that, so like, 38, plus R.O.B. and Lucas are sorta borderline cases, Ike and Wolf are on the lower end of "maybe" and we'll probably have around 4 more newcomers, give or take? No matter how you look at it this game's gonna have a really hefty roster, and with how individually tuned up every character looks compared to the Melee->Brawl transition that's really impressive.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 9, 2014

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Rhonne posted:

What would Zero Suit Samus' final smash even be? Calling in her ship for a bombing run maybe?

She calls a ship and it takes her offscreen and everyone waits around for something to happen but it just turns out she left the game for good and you can't even choose her anymore. Then a better character shows up and surprise! They put development time into that instead!

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Rhonne posted:

The Baby

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Zero Suit Samus tries to activate her Final Smash, is suddenly attacked by Phantoon instead

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rhonne posted:

She goes into a panic attack so men can save her.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

She goes into a panic attack so men can save her.

I don't think the 3DS version has room for 5 minutes of monotone flashbacks though.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm really glad Samus doesn't look as sickly and frail as she did in Other M, though. I feel like a lot of the loathing for her new design just comes from kneejerk revulsion towards Other M, which, granted, is justified.

Compare/contrast:

Brawl:

Other M: (not even using her official render for this game because it's just a gratuitous rear end shot)

Smash 4:

Her Smash 4 design definitely looks the most like a Tough Space Warrior and least like a realdoll, at least to me.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I hadn't noticed this before, but her heels look like items that equip over the normal shoe part of the suit. No saying it'll impact game play or anything, but it's neat that it's very clearly an acquired powerup she picked up before the start of the game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

^^^

They also make her fabulous and she's the closest thing to having Bayonetta in which is also a plus.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
With Charizard, Pikachu, Greninja and Lucario in, things aren't looking so good for Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Mewtwo and Ivysaur. I'm honestly going to be a bit sad if we lose Jiggly & Squirtle. They're a lot of fun to play as.

Is the cancellation of transforming characters due to the DS hardware limitations?

Wario, Ness & Captain certainly have to get back in as well.

I'd be happy to see Falco/Wolf/Lucas/Ike go unless they get more diverse movesets.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Rhonne posted:

She makes every level she visits arbitrarily self-destruct.

As one of the strange people that actually played Ike enough to be pretty drat good with him, I am kinda pissed he is unlikely to make the cut but Chrom would be a decent replacement.

I will say now though, not having Frederick yelling "PICK A GOD AND PRAY! :hist101:" as he runs people through for an assist trophy would be the textbook definition of "Wasted Opportunity".

Calihan fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 9, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I love Samus' redesign. The suit looks more like actual material, the highlights work really well and make her look more like a combat suit (if that makes sense) and the jet boots look hella rad and add some great contrast to her design.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Andrew_1985 posted:

With Charizard, Pikachu, Greninja and Lucario in, things aren't looking so good for Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Mewtwo and Ivysaur. I'm honestly going to be a bit sad if we lose Jiggly & Squirtle. They're a lot of fun to play as.

Is the cancellation of transforming characters due to the DS hardware limitations?

I'd say it's more of a design decision then due to a limitation. The transform mechanic was more of a pain when using the Pokemon Trainer and I just wanted to use Charizard all the time.

I wouldn't rule out Jiggly though. He's been in every one right? Seems like a odd choice to let him go.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Rhonne posted:

If it's not somehow accidentally setting off the self destruct system of the stage in the middle of what should be an emotional moment i'll be disappointed.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

nerdbot posted:

Zero Suit Samus tries to activate her Final Smash, is suddenly attacked by Phantoon instead

This, but unironically. A Phantoon summon that hits everything, Samus included, would be amazing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Aladdin posted:

It seems like a decent amount of people are questioning the decision to release the 3DS version first as it will supposedly cannibalize the Wii U sales. Though it wasn't emphasized in this Direct, I think the whole point is to tap into the large 3DS install base and capitalize on the 3DS-Wii U connectivity features and really push them. With any luck this would provide incentive for these users to get the system to access these features and boost sales for Christmas.

I think one of the big reasons for the delay is that the Wii U version just isn't finished. You can see it with little things like the way Yoshi's feet clash with his body, how Zelda's hair clips through her boobs, etc. They probably decided that they would prioritize shipping the 3DS version and have the whole team finish up the Wii U version afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The thing that annoys me most about ZSS is that they could just have easily used Samus' military design from Other M and it'd be a million times cooler:

• Locked thread