Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

What I don't get is why he chose NH. That's a pretty intelligent state. Why not Florida? No one is actually from there and they'll elect criminals if they like old people enough and know the right lies to tell.

Because the Granite State has a long and storied history of Massholes who couldn't hack it moving 50 miles to the north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

evilweasel posted:

It's a lot easier for him to carpetbag his way into NH, which shares a lot of culture with Massachusetts but is considerably more conservative, than it is to go to a random state.

Yes, but Florida is a state full of Massholes already, plus they're known for having 0 standards. I don't know of many truly dickish NH politicians.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

De Nomolos posted:

Yes, but Florida is a state full of Massholes already, plus they're known for having 0 standards. I don't know of many truly dickish NH politicians.
Being the Republican senator from Florida isn't remarkable. Being the Republican senator from (insert typically blue state here - and I'm sure Brown will try for several) is.

What I want to know is why the gently caress Scott Brown is getting such a push. Seriously, what the gently caress? Does he have dirt on someone?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nessus posted:

Being the Republican senator from Florida isn't remarkable. Being the Republican senator from (insert typically blue state here - and I'm sure Brown will try for several) is.

What I want to know is why the gently caress Scott Brown is getting such a push. Seriously, what the gently caress? Does he have dirt on someone?

He won a statewide race in a very, VERY Democratic state, and he's (ostensibly) not crazy. Of COURSE the establishment GOP is pushing him.

What they don't realize is that the race he won was one where his opponent pissed away a 30-point lead by not campaigning for months, and that a woman with no political experience cleaned his clock after he decided to act like a racist frat boy to her in the Senate debates.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alter Ego posted:

He won a statewide race in a very, VERY Democratic state, and he's (ostensibly) not crazy. Of COURSE the establishment GOP is pushing him.

What they don't realize is that the race he won was one where his opponent pissed away a 30-point lead by not campaigning for months, and that a woman with no political experience cleaned his clock after he decided to act like a racist frat boy to her in the Senate debates.

He won a very low turnout special election on the back of crazy old people who REALLY hated obamacare. He was a unicorn.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

Well what was she supposed to do, go shake people's hands in front of the stadium?

I mean really.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

De Nomolos posted:

A good tenth of the general court are total wackaloons due to the whole 1 rep per 6000 people thing in the one chamber.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

De Nomolos posted:

Which Florida Senator is he going to take out? He can either RINO out of the money trying to primary Rubio in two years or get crushed by Bill Nelson/maybe have an open race in four years. Besides his truck needs a lift kit and some bigger wheels if he wants any cred for driving it around down here.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Gyges posted:

Which Florida Senator is he going to take out? He can either RINO out of the money trying to primary Rubio in two years or get crushed by Bill Nelson/maybe have an open race in four years. Besides his truck needs a lift kit and some bigger wheels if he wants any cred for driving it around down here.

This was meant to be a hypothetical and a slap at my former insane state of residence than a very legit point.

The real question I want to know is whether NH is really a place where the guy with MA plates on his truck can beat a popular former governor, or if this is just a ego trip.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

So Thomas Ravenel (T-Rav) is running verse Graham as an independent-libertarian now. He is the former SC Treasure before he resigned because of a cocaine bust. He is also a reality TV "star" for a show on Bravo that greatly embarrasses us fine folk in Charleston.

Only interesting because he actually does have money unlike the other loons running against Graham. Who knows we might have a democrat even win! Graham will still win

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 9, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Has anyone other than James Shields even represented more than one state in the Senate?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

It's a lot easier for him to carpetbag his way into NH, which shares a lot of culture with Massachusetts but is considerably more conservative, than it is to go to a random state.

Isn't NH more a case of the state assembly having absurdly low barriers to get into it(since there's so many of them) that any real money from outside sources almost guarantees a win that causes NH to skew so heavily conservative in recent years?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Party Plane Jones posted:

Isn't NH more a case of the state assembly having absurdly low barriers to get into it(since there's so many of them)

Basically, the lower chamber can have wild swings since every constituency is so small. Just look at the giant swings back and forth between Dems and Republicans in the last 3 elections
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_House_of_Representatives

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

De Nomolos posted:

This was meant to be a hypothetical and a slap at my former insane state of residence than a very legit point.

The real question I want to know is whether NH is really a place where the guy with MA plates on his truck can beat a popular former governor, or if this is just a ego trip.

The thinking, I'm betting, is that Scott Brown has statewide name recognition - most of the other viable GOP candidates are going to have to spend time going from town to town saying "Hey, I'm <insert name here> and this is what I'm all about," and Brown doesn't have to do that. Everyone knows who he is, he's the guy that won 'Ted Kennedy's Senate seat' because Coakley confused winning the primary with winning the election. So he has a chance to establish himself as "the only viable candidate" while everyone else is trying to raise their profile.

I don't think it'll work, because part of his name recognition lies in the fact that he's a carpetbagger, but hey, it's not the worst of all possible strategies.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There are a lot of people in Southern New Hampshire who are from Massachusetts who live there for tax purposes and commute to jobs in the metro Boston area. Scott Brown's path to victory is to hope that only those people and the back woods crowd turn out. I don't think he's got much of a chance of beating Shaheen because he is (being generous here) very stupid and she has won statewide in New Hampshire multiple times, but that's the strategy he'll be selling donors on.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Amused to Death posted:

Basically, the lower chamber can have wild swings since every constituency is so small. Just look at the giant swings back and forth between Dems and Republicans in the last 3 elections
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_House_of_Representatives

I enjoyed this link cause I learned there's like a thousand townships with population 0

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also 50 percent of NH's media market is based in Boston. So MA politicians get free name recognition in two states.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

So should I feel bad for my friends dad that he actually lost a race for the NH house? I think it was by like 20 votes but total votes was ridiculously low. Like, most town council wards in other states have more voters.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

Isn't NH more a case of the state assembly having absurdly low barriers to get into it(since there's so many of them) that any real money from outside sources almost guarantees a win that causes NH to skew so heavily conservative in recent years?

No, just look at historical presidential elections and other stuff like that and compare it to the rest of New England. New Hampshire has always been more conservative than the rest, I'm not talking about the nutjob legislature.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
This is...magical:

Iowa Senate Campaign Ad

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wanna vote for that dog

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

So should I feel bad for my friends dad that he actually lost a race for the NH house? I think it was by like 20 votes but total votes was ridiculously low. Like, most town council wards in other states have more voters.

When you get into smaller political boundaries, or just lower on the ballot, it really isn't all that odd for elections to be decided by votes in the 2 digits. I had a friend who ran for council who won her distirct in re-election with less than 15 votes between her and the opponent. Some township races were decided by 30 or some votes.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

De Nomolos posted:

Small-time races can paradoxically be harder than medium ones precisely because it's plausible to canvas all the voters.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

And.. you guessed it: The Second Amendment.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Next election we're going to see people bragging about how they didn't finish high school while they swim in an above-ground pool filled with guns.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I bet if you had tried to guess what the big issues in the Kentucky and Iowa Senate primaries would be this year you wouldn't have picked cockfighting and castration.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

notthegoatseguy posted:

When you get into smaller political boundaries, or just lower on the ballot, it really isn't all that odd for elections to be decided by votes in the 2 digits. I had a friend who ran for council who won her distirct in re-election with less than 15 votes between her and the opponent. Some township races were decided by 30 or some votes.

Yeah, don't feel bad about it, Gore lost in 2000 by one vote.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

I watched that with the sound off, did I miss anything important? I understand that term limits are important to him, as he brandished a gun and knife while presumably discussing the issue.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Joementum posted:

I bet if you had tried to guess what the big issues in the Kentucky and Iowa Senate primaries would be this year you wouldn't have picked cockfighting and castration.

The ugly part of me that wants to dismiss the primary voters as dumb hicks would.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Swan Oat posted:

I watched that with the sound off, did I miss anything important? I understand that term limits are important to him, as he brandished a gun and knife while presumably discussing the issue.

If you molested his sister he's going to shoot your balls off. He should put it on campaign signage.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Sometimes they're decided by a coin toss.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

That's very very true. Maybe the next Kentucky primary field will include a champion rooster and a person in a gun costume who changes his name to "Glock".

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

pangstrom posted:

That's very very true. Maybe the next Kentucky primary field will include a champion rooster and a person in a gun costume who changes his name to "Glock".
Anthony Reynolds the 15th has that seat locked up.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

There was some obscure town level race around here that someone forgot to file for one year. A guy that voted early in the morning noticed this and called 7 friends and told them to go vote and write him in for it. He won with a plurality.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pangstrom posted:

It already includes a turtle, why stop there?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

So are there any more Alvin Greenes around this year? There has to be.

According to Ballotpedia, Tim D'Annunzio is back in NC, running for the Hagan Senate seat as a Libertarian this time.

http://ballotpedia.org/United_States_Senate_elections_in_North_Carolina,_2014#Candidates

No word on whether he plans on reviving his blog, CHRIST'S WAR:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120306234747/http://christswar.blogspot.com/

Sadly, it looks like the Charlotte Observer no longer has its account of his claims that Jesus will drop a 5,000 foot tall pyramid on Greenland.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

notthegoatseguy posted:

Doesn't even have to be that small. The state senate race where I live was decided by 21 votes in 2012, out of about 90,000 total.

De Nomolos posted:

So are there any more Alvin Greenes around this year? There has to be.

According to Ballotpedia, Tim D'Annunzio is back in NC, running for the Hagan Senate seat as a Libertarian this time.

http://ballotpedia.org/United_States_Senate_elections_in_North_Carolina,_2014#Candidates

There's D'Annunzio, the dude who resigned his town council seat in Klingon, and that guy at the end of the bar who won't shut up about the infield fly rule real life Marty Huggins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr0G233lO4s

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 10, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

The Warszawa and I actually would've gotten cockfighting, possibly.

:colbert:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Rejoice! Crist is 7 points ahead of Scott in the polls and it's because people in Florida are hoppin' mad they don't have Obamacare.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/04/09/obamacare-rejection-buries-rick-scott-charlie-crist-holds-49-42-lead-florida.html

58% of Floridians think Rick Scott should have taken the medicaid expansion and that he didn't take it for purely political reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I can never read the word "cockfighting" without immediately thinking of Wilford Brimley and his love of it.

• Locked thread