Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Bant Walkers is already a thing, at least in my area. The general idea is it's a U/W control shell, except it runs G for Selesnya Charm and Kiora, with Brimaz as an early defender.

I know it runs at least Jace, Kiora, and probably Elspeth. It's not as reliable as Esper control, but the guy still does really well with it and it's apparently a lot more fun to play. When I see him this Friday I'll ask if he'd run the new Ajani in it.

Why couldn't he have cost 3/4 and been aggro-oriented :saddowns:

e: I suppose I should explain his general game plan, at least what I know of it.

Step 1: Play lots of scrylands.

Step 2: Play Brimaz as a 'gently caress you' to anything smaller / less evasive than a Stormbreath.

Step 3: Play Kiora, lock down the enemy Stormbreath/Polukranos/whatever.

Step 4: Win by either UNLEASHING THE KRAKEN, Brimaz punching you in the face, or playing Elspeth.

New Ajani lets him find planeswalkers more easily and also offers a "silly aggro deck, you thought you could win!" ultimate. I would not be surprised to see him grab one or two.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Sage seems snapped in half in a Mimeoplasm deck. Just imagine casting Mimeoplasm after binning it and a Lord of Extinction a few turns into a decently sized EDH game. :getin:

Joke option: BFM :v:

I like the blue guy, extra turn effects are a thing I can't say no to. And Ajani's ultimate is just so simple, I love it.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
New blue heroic guy + new Ajani ultimate + Sunbond = 20 extra turns! :buddy:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Just bought a playset of brimaz and captains after seeing iroas. Purphoros and Iroas token fun times is going to happen :D

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
If I bestow onto an opponent's creature, and the creature dies, does the controller of the aura or the controller of the creature get the bestow creature after it falls off?

Applebees posted:

I don't get why they worded it like that. It should be like Etched Monstrosity and say "Remove five +1/+1 counters from Sage of Hours: Take an extra turn after this one."

In my head I thought it was like you said, and Vorel being able to activate to double his counters from 5 to 10 would mean an infinite-turn combo unless someone has disruption.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Devor posted:

If I bestow onto an opponent's creature, and the creature dies, does the controller of the aura or the controller of the creature get the bestow creature after it falls off?

In my head I thought it was like you said, and Vorel being able to activate to double his counters from 5 to 10 would mean an infinite-turn combo unless someone has disruption.

New Ajani (or anything else that reliably gives 3 +1/+1 counters), Vorel, and Time Walk Man is infinite turns, unless I'm missing something stupid.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008

Devor posted:

The controller of the aura gets the new bestow creature.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I can't wait for the durdliest of decks that run both Ajanis because their ultimates synergize with eachother, it just has to get 2 planeswalker ultimates first.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

bvoid posted:

New Ajani (or anything else that reliably gives 3 +1/+1 counters), Vorel, and Time Walk Man is infinite turns, unless I'm missing something stupid.

If it was the other way, then just having 5 counters on it + vorel = infinite turns. You don't need another reliable source of counters.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Is there a better place than to discuss magic stuff other than here (which is good but not very active in my timezone) or mtgsalvation (pants on head retarded?), I just want to have standard discussions without people going "hurr dies to doom blade, bad card"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

If it was the other way, then just having 5 counters on it + vorel = infinite turns. You don't need another reliable source of counters.

The time walk guy removes all counters, not just 5. So yeah, you do need a source of counters.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah, I was just throwing out a scenario where it would work as it's written. You could theoretically get it on turn 4 (Mana Man turn 1, Vorel turn 2, Tim Walk turn 3, Ajani Turn 4, infinite turns) but that's probably janky.

EDIT: nevermind, Vorel's ability costs mana. Turn 5 it is!

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 9, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

forbidden lesbian posted:

The time walk guy removes all counters, not just 5. So yeah, you do need a source of counters.

Yes, but you wouldn't if the ability only removed five. That's what I was saying.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dr. Stab posted:

Other than the fact that doing both of those (Ajani + Vorel) only makes 4 counters?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Finally, Spikes (the creature type) can make their grand return! Just look out for that Spike Cannibal sideboard tech!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

GoutPatrol posted:

Other than the fact that doing both of those only makes 4 counters?

What? Both of what?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Yes, but you wouldn't if the ability only removed five. That's what I was saying.

Oh sorry, that's what you meant by "other way". I probably should have realized that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

Finally, Spikes (the creature type) can make their grand return! Just look out for that Spike Cannibal sideboard tech!

Does this card work favorably with Doubling Season?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Other than the fact that doing both of those (Ajani + Vorel) only makes 4 counters?

Ajani makes 3 +1/+1 counters, Vorel doubles them, making 6.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

I had to look up what Doubling Season did, but the way it's worded and Gatherer's rulings on it lead me to believe it doesn't affect counters that are moved.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Not sure about Spike Cannibal, but the other Spikes(Drone, Feeder, etc) should work well with Doubling Season.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It does.

rules posted:

121.5. If an effect says to "move" a counter, it means to take that counter from the object it’s currently on and put it onto a second object.
121.6. Some spells and abilities refer to counters being "placed" on an object. This refers to putting counters on that object while it’s on the battlefield and also to an object entering the battlefield with counters on it as a result of a replacement effect.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So why are they teaching players bad habits with the +100 life thing?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cool, it's just with all the ways terminology has messed me up in the past I wasn't sure. Like I'd never have realized Godsend could hit hexproof creatures on my own.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Korak posted:

Because bad players love lifegain. Good players can appreciate it on certain cards, but bad players................they love to gain life.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I think that if gaining any amount of life gain could be considered good it would be 100. Especially when the planeswalker its on is fine just ticking up forever and +100 life is a good safety net.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Korak posted:

I can't tell you how many limited games I've won because of Ordeal of Heliod. Lifegain if anything, is underrated among good players.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ Ordeal works well in limited yes, how many times have you played it in a standard deck?

Northjayhawk posted:

yeah, I might be wrong but I think I'm coming down on the side of this being an easily playable 5-mana PW.

Those + abilities are scary, he doesn't immediately defend himself but he starts out with a nice amount of loyalty and he demands an immediate answer. Those counters and creature/PW card draws are going to get out of hand.

Even if you can somehow deal with all the creatures he's throwing counters on or digging for, if the game goes long, how do you win when your opponent goes to 100+ life.
It's turn five you have Ajani, forest, mana dork, polukranos in hand. Your side of the board has 2 mana dorks and a courser. Your opponent has Thassa out with loyalty, maybe 2 smaller creatures with a domesticated Fleecemane and Dictate of Kruphix. Do you slam Ajani down? What would it do?

I think Ajani is an ok planeswalker for his second ability but you won't be seeing him in current GW archtypes. If someone figures out some kind of heroic deck that wants to go long, then maybe.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I can't tell you how many limited games I've won because of Ordeal of Heliod. Lifegain if anything, is underrated among good players.

Yeah, Bow of nylea won me nearly all of my important limited games at my BOTG pre-release.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Samael posted:

Yeah, Bow of nylea won me nearly all of my important limited games at my BOTG pre-release.

The best player at my LGS runs Bow of Nylea too and I've lost to it more than a few times.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Setessan Tactics - 1G Rare
Instant

Strive - Setessan Tactics cost G more to cast for each target beyond the first

Any number of target creatures each get +1/+1 and gain "t: Fight another target creature" until end of turn.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Superfriends is going to be so annoying. There's no way they won't get at least ONE planeswalker ultimate per game and Ajani's basically says "-8: Make the game go to time".

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
And anyway Ajani has pretty much always been about gaining life or rewarding you for having a lot of life.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
The lifegain ult feels like it's going to be redundant in a lot of situations. If your opponent couldn't push any damage through for 4 whole turns while you were building up Ajani, it seems really unlikely they were going to kill you with damage at that point anyway.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zorak posted:

Instant

Any number of target creatures each get +1/+1 and gain "t: Fight another target creature" until end of turn.

This one's really neat. Time to Feed was already a great Heroic enabler for your Centaur Battlemasters and the like, and being able to do that for as many Heroic guys as you've got, at a very cheap price, more than makes up for not being able to attack with them that turn.

Especially since you can also get an Inspired trigger out of it, and it's an instant so potentially a nutty combat trick.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 9, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Ordeal of Heliod would be a limited playable even if it didn't gain you any life. It's won you games because its been in your deck, and its been in your deck because threatening to add 3 +1/+1 Counters is pretty good for a 2CMC Aura in a format with limited removal long before you went "Oh sweet, sometimes I gain 10 life"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Stinky Pit posted:

Ordeal of Heliod would be a limited playable even if it didn't gain you any life. It's won you games because its been in your deck, and its been in your deck because threatening to add 3 +1/+1 Counters is pretty good for a 2CMC Aura in a format with limited removal long before you went "Oh sweet, sometimes I gain 10 life"

Well sure, thats why all the ordeals are playable but that 10 life is relevant pretty much every time the game goes long enough to crack it. More than the other ordeals I've played.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Lifegain is pretty relevant though, I mean compare how much play Sphinx's Revelation gets (4-of in every control deck in Standard) compared with Blue Sun's Zenith (1- or 2-of at best).

Spending a card just to gain life is often pretty bad (unless it's a huge amount - quite honestly, 3GW "you gain 100 life" would almost certainly see play), but spending mana to gain life (via your spell costing a little more than if it didn't have the lifegain, or missing out on some other rider you'd get for the cost) is often really good.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Zorak posted:

Instant

It's interesting, but I really think it should be uncommon rather than rare. I don't see this going anywhere near constructed play, and it's not that high a pick in Limited, especially since JIN will be opened first so you won't know if you will end up with a lot of Heroic cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nibble posted:

The lifegain ult feels like it's going to be redundant in a lot of situations. If your opponent couldn't push any damage through for 4 whole turns while you were building up Ajani, it seems really unlikely they were going to kill you with damage at that point anyway.

Kind of the same situation with Elspeth, Knight-Errant, really.

• Locked thread