Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Remember, these are the same people who think money is speech. But apparently talking about money with your coworkers is infringing on the free speech (money) of employers! Maybe because if you earn more you're taking away speech from the job creators and they have less to buy congressmen with create jobs!:qq:
They have more money and are therefore more human than you, easy to comprehend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

eviltastic posted:

You could say that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4QbJ3phEYs

(source thread)

Dunno if he did in 2012, but during that magical 2008 election season, the good doctor did not specifically advocate for a return to the gold standard. His pitch was for a "competing currency" system whose admitted purpose was to avoid any cap gains on gold holdings. It also would've introduced a lot of pointless opportunities for arbitrage and otherwise been a bad idea, but yeah, point stands, the stance makes sense given where he's got his money.

Hahaha, I'd forgotten about that. LF was a wonderful place, for a while.

Also, though I don't know if this was part of his platform for both 2008 and 2012 or just 2012, he decried the "rejection of the biblical admonition that we have honest weights and measures and honest money," the last of which is entirely code for gold.

FAUXTON posted:

Don't call me sport, chief.

Don't call me chief, mack.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 9, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ron Paul also believes that gold and silver are the only forms of currency authorized by the Constitution because Article 1 Section 10 says that they are the only things states can use to discharge debt, ignoring Article 1 Section 8 where it says Congress can do whatever the gently caress it wants as far as coining money.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SedanChair posted:

I can start a "The Rehabilitation of Dubya" thread when I get off work if that makes sense.

It does not. At least to me, but knock yourself out if the boss lets you out a half hour early and your wife isn't on you about some silly bullshit and you have a half hour to spend on your laptop.

SedanChair posted:

That's a good point. But apprehending bin Laden wouldn't have stopped 9/11. Apprehending KSM might have but there was little institutional pressure to do so. And I'm not sure Gore would have been any more inclined to follow up on Clinton's counter-terror moves than Bush was; remember how much Gore had distanced himself from Clinton and, justifiably or not, Clinton's interventions had acquired a strong "wag the dog" flavor.

I'm not real sure where to start with this, but...drat. Let's see.

How can you say that with even the slightest measure of certainty? The "Most Important Thing We Know" as the Clinton/Gore administration passed the baton was "this guy (OBL) means business and is not loving around. Here's the intelligence. If you don't believe us, listen to these non-partisan guys (Richard Clark). Forget about blowjobs and seriously, pay attention to this of it's gonna blow up in your face".

Clinton's interventions acquired that "wag the dog flavor" because that's the brush the GOP painted with him with at the time and they were all "OMG! This dude got his cock sucked! Let's impeach him! Oh! He's bombing brown people to distract from the blowjob!"

I'm not a tremendous fan of Bill Clinton or Barrack Obama myself but you seem to be making weird arguments all of a sudden that seem out of character for you.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

BiggerBoat posted:

Clinton's interventions acquired that "wag the dog flavor" because that's the brush the GOP painted with him with at the time and they were all "OMG! This dude got his cock sucked! Let's impeach him! Oh! He's bombing brown people to distract from the blowjob!"

Hilariously (except not hilariously at all), this goes all the way back to the '92 primary.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not a tremendous fan of Bill Clinton or Barrack Obama myself but you seem to be making weird arguments all of a sudden that seem out of character for you.

If you pay attention to his posts in this thread, it's because he rarely actually makes arguments. These are literally some of the first I've seen. Bush seems to be a weird place to draw the line.

The idea that capturing/killing Bin Laden wouldn't have stopped 9/11 is such a crazy statement to make. It's true that the plans were well underway at that point. However, the make up of Al Quaeda, its organization and hierarchy, its funding, and its loyalties were so intimately tied to Bin Laden at that time that it's simply impossible to say. Further, both the CIA and FBI were well on the trail of all involved (should they have been able to collaborate, it's possible that 9/11 may have never happened), and who is to say what phone taps after such an action wouldn't have tipped their hand?

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 9, 2014

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

eviltastic posted:

Dunno if he did in 2012, but during that magical 2008 election season, the good doctor did not specifically advocate for a return to the gold standard. His pitch was for a "competing currency" system whose admitted purpose was to avoid any cap gains on gold holdings. It also would've introduced a lot of pointless opportunities for arbitrage and otherwise been a bad idea, but yeah, point stands, the stance makes sense given where he's got his money.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily defending Paul, I'm just saying that it's possible in general for those sorts of confluences to run both ways. Of course, given that most politicians are horrible people...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Boon posted:

If you pay attention to his posts in this thread, it's because he rarely actually makes arguments. These are literally some of the first I've seen. Bush seems to be a weird place to draw the line.

The idea that capturing/killing Bin Laden wouldn't have stopped 9/11 is such a crazy statement to make. It's true that the plans were well underway at that point. However, the make up of Al Quaeda, its organization and hierarchy, its funding, and its loyalties were so intimately tied to Bin Laden at that time that it's simply impossible to say. Further, both the CIA and FBI were well on the trail of all involved (should they have been able to collaborate, it's possible that 9/11 may have never happened), and who is to say what phone taps after such an action wouldn't have tipped their hand?

Even if they didn't hit OBL, just watching the minions tighter means they could intercept them before they can hijack the planes

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Don't call me chief, mack.
Don't call me mack, comrade.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

JT Jag posted:

This stops once we hit bros.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Pedantry:Something Awful::Pederasty:Reddit

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JT Jag posted:

Don't call me comrade, jack.

amanasleep posted:

This stops once we hit bros.

We're still worlds away from that, don't worry. Bro

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To be honest I think getting rid of Saddam has been realpolitik policy ever since he started building a super big army and harassing the rest of the middle east, George Bush just had the political capital to pull it off under his administration.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

ColoradoCleric posted:

To be honest I think getting rid of Saddam has been realpolitik policy ever since he started building a super big army and harassing the rest of the middle east, George Bush just had the political capital to pull it off under his administration.

The issue with Bush was the process by which the policy was accomplished.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

How can you say that with even the slightest measure of certainty? The "Most Important Thing We Know" as the Clinton/Gore administration passed the baton was "this guy (OBL) means business and is not loving around. Here's the intelligence. If you don't believe us, listen to these non-partisan guys (Richard Clark). Forget about blowjobs and seriously, pay attention to this of it's gonna blow up in your face".

I wasn't saying that Clinton wasn't completely justified, and the "wag-the-dog" accusation unfounded. But Gore didn't want to be associated with his boss at that point. Now I'm sure that he'd have consulted Clinton extensively once in office, but to what end? Finding and killing bin Laden? How exactly do you imagine terror networks are organized? What about KSM? Zawahiri? Are you saying they could have gotten them all? Quick enough to stop it filtering down to Atta? All they knew was that they were determined to strike. Of course they're determined to strike, they're al-Qaeda!

And then we can get to the next issue; let's say they actually thwart 9/11. CIA somehow infiltrates the group of guys that know about it, instead of following their usual HUMINT protocol and interrrogating retarded teenagers. What then? You think they weren't going on to the next plan, or the one after that? All they ever had to do was one big strike, that's what the whole organization was created to do. One big strike and lure the Americans into the grave of empires. It was going to happen one way or another.

That's what's so depressing about the "what if Gore" theory of the Bush era. We act as if Gore wouldn't have been drafted into the military-industrial complex--Albert Gore, Jr., of all people, would manage to shake it off. We act as if KSM wasn't bound to strike, with all the cash at his disposal. Because KSM was the architect of 9/11, not bin Laden. Bin Laden was a charismatic figurehead, an eloquent freedom fighter who spurned the trappings of wealth. Killing bin Laden in 2000 would have accomplished exactly as much as it did when we finally got him. Yes, when we got bin Laden--remember that? How we got him ten years after we started looking for him, with all the power in the world, and couldn't find him?

Oh but Gore could have found bin Laden, and stopped 9/11. Please.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 9, 2014

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

menino posted:

The issue with Bush was the process by which the policy was accomplished.

Pretty much, if you look at the state departments handling of iraq pre bush they always kinda had it in for him. Bush and really Cheney wanted to do it as cheap as possible, except with guaranteed contracts and cronyism it turned to be as expensive as possible.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Terrorists already had a pretty good track record of hijacking airplanes, really it was just a matter of time before they tried using them as a weapon.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

SedanChair posted:

I wasn't saying that Clinton wasn't completely justified, and the "wag-the-dog" accusation unfounded. But Gore didn't want to be associated with his boss at that point. Now I'm sure that he'd have consulted Clinton extensively once in office, but to what end? Finding and killing bin Laden? How exactly do you imagine terror networks are organized? What about KSM? Zawahiri? Are you saying they could have gotten them all? Quick enough to stop it filtering down to Atta? All they knew was that they were determined to strike. Of course they're determined to strike, they're al-Qaeda!

And then we can get to the next issue; let's say they actually thwart 9/11. CIA somehow infiltrates the group of guys that know about it, instead of following their usual HUMINT protocol and interrrogating retarded teenagers. What then? You think they weren't going on to the next plan, or the one after that? All they ever had to do was one big strike, that's what the whole organization was created to do. One big strike and lure the Americans into the grave of empires. It was going to happen one way or another.

That's what's so depressing about the "what if Gore" theory of the Bush era. We act as if Gore wouldn't have been drafted into the military-industrial complex--Albert Gore, Jr., of all people, would manage to shake it off. We act as if KSM wasn't bound to strike, with all the cash at his disposal. Because KSM was the architect of 9/11, not bin Laden. Bin Laden was a charismatic figurehead, an eloquent freedom fighter who spurned the trappings of wealth. Killing bin Laden in 2000 would have accomplished exactly as much as it did when we finally got him. Yes, when we got bin Laden--remember that? How we got him ten years after we started looking for him, with all the power in the world, and couldn't find him?

Oh but Gore could have found bin Laden, and stopped 9/11. Please.

If your custom title was about a "Shitposting Monopoly" instead of a "Monopoly on Shitposting", it would rhyme and look like the Monopoly Man was singing and dancing.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Is there some reason we aren't clowning on Rep. Vance McAllister(R) of the great state of Duck Dynasty?

Dude ran on the industry standard jesus-loves-me platform, invited the cast of Duck Dynasty to the SOTU, because queers, and got caught on security-cam slipping considerable tongue to his scheduler, who happened also to be the wife of a friend and maxed out contributor.

Don't worry though, he is very sorry to all the people he disappointed, and the snugglebunny staffer has been removed from the payroll.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Slo-Tek posted:

Don't worry though, he is very sorry to all the people he disappointed, and the snugglebunny staffer has been removed from the payroll.

What's the over/under oh him having her added to the staff just so she'd be conveniently nearby when he wanted to get laid?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Slo-Tek posted:

Is there some reason we aren't clowning on Rep. Vance McAllister(R) of the great state of Duck Dynasty?

Dude ran on the industry standard jesus-loves-me platform, invited the cast of Duck Dynasty to the SOTU, because queers, and got caught on security-cam slipping considerable tongue to his scheduler, who happened also to be the wife of a friend and maxed out contributor.

I think at this point Republican sex scandals are only noteworthy if they involve crime, homosexuality, or an underage victim, i.e., "dead girl or live boy." Garden-variety infidelity is so . . . twentieth century. He'll "repent" and by the time of the next election cycle he'll be fine.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 9, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Slo-Tek posted:

I posted the video last page I think. Chump didn't even realize his office's security cameras toggled to night vision when the lights are cut.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

JT Jag posted:

Don't call me comrade, sovereign individual.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Congressmen and staffers must get all hot and bothered after watching House of Cards and fumblingly attempt to roleplay Kevin Spacey.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Slo-Tek posted:

At this point, my theory is that so long as you don't resign, there isn't a scandal that will take a politician down. Make some apologetic noises and the news cycle will wash it away. Mark Sanford "borrowed" a government vehicle to sneak to the airport to fly to south america to sleep with his mistress, and is sitting in Congress right now. Issa and Scott are both felons. Bob Kerrey is a child murderer. Gingrich and his mistresses. Clinton is a well respected elder statesman. Naked bribery all over the place (do you really think Sheldon Anderson is worried about kids being exposed to gambling instead of competition, or Thomas forgot that 750k?).

Anthony Weiner apologizing to Brietbart and resigning is what doomed him. If he had been completely loving shameless, he'd still be in Congress.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

Don't call me comrade, sovereign individual.

Don't call me sovereign individual, pal

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JT Jag posted:

As someone who also came of age in Bush's Florida, he really doesn't look that bad compared to Rick Scott.

Jeb and Christie are the only two Republican candidates who I think are a threat in the general. Jeb because he can win Florida and that alone makes it a race, and Christie because he's a good speaker and not crazy. Christie can't win a primary though.

Winning Florida while still losing Virgina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, among others, does not make it a race. Jeb might win Florida thanks to Florida being America's Taint, but if Romney couldn't win a bunch of battleground states the only way Jeb will is through some next level voter fraud.

zoux posted:

Ughhhh We are so going to have open carry in this state soon. I watched a bit of this hearing, these people are loving nuts. I don't get how goddamn gunrights are peoples' #1 political issue, and they are completely ignorant of economic, education and other huge issues that affect their day to day lives more than the fantasy that some dude is going to kick down their suburban door in the middle of the night to murder their families for no reason.

Get a lot of black and hispanic people to open carry around courthouses and state buildings. Assuming the police don't just open fire because a minority has a gun, the GOP will twist every which way to fix the 'problem' like Reagan did in California. Alternately, wait and pray for some dumbass to carry a loaded rifle/shotgun on their back, bump something, and have it go off in a very public place along with half of their head.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Slo-Tek posted:

/Sigh.

I'm running out of names that republican politicians haven't besmirched. This guy is distantly on my mom's side of the family. And my patronymic is phonetically identical to Akin - so nobody asks how to spell it anymore but they all spell it wrong.

So I'm cool with everyone forgetting and ignoring him.

In conclusion, here is a video of Hillary Clinton answering a question from RepChristopher Smith(R), member of the foreign affairs committee:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C8rGPDItayI

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

the GOP will twist every which way to fix the 'problem' like Reagan did in California.
Can you elaborate on this? I wanna hear a story about how the GOP liberalized gun ownership and then turned around when they realized that that meant nonwhites too.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I wanna hear a story about how the GOP liberalized gun ownership and then turned around when they realized that that meant nonwhites too.

Looks like that's it. Black people exercised their right to keep and bear arms, Governor Reagan signed a law against it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think at this point Republican sex scandals are only noteworthy if they involve crime, homosexuality, or an underage victim, i.e., "dead girl or live boy." Garden-variety infidelity is so . . . twentieth century. He'll "repent" and by the time of the next election cycle he'll be fine.

Keep in mind that we're talking about the state where David "diaperboy" Vitter got re-elected to the Senate and is probably going to be the next Governor.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Congressmen and staffers must get all hot and bothered after watching House of Cards and fumblingly attempt to roleplay Kevin Spacey.

Could they fumblingly roleplay Kate Mara instead and just "fall" in front of a subway train?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slo-Tek posted:

Her husband also says the whole Jesus thing is a scam

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Alternately, wait and pray for some dumbass to carry a loaded rifle/shotgun on their back, bump something, and have it go off in a very public place along with half of their head.

I lust for blood.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Her husband also says the whole Jesus thing is a scam

Well he would considering it's his wife on the tape. At least this time McAllister's parents aren't writing hush money checks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

Well he would considering it's his wife on the tape. At least this time McAllister's parents aren't writing hush money checks.

Any more info on this? I go to school in the district that elected this moron and I've never heard of this, or the "his wife admits it's a scam" thing. Everyone is just "oh just like all politicians, I won't judge though because I'm not God" about it.

EDIT: I rite gud

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 9, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Don't call me sovereign individual, pal

Don't call me pal, Riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noted liberal rag The Wall Street Journal (WonkWire link since the WSJ is behind a paywall) reported on a Rand study that the ACA has added 9.3 million to insurance rolls since an implementation, which is a roughly five percent decrease in the number of uninsured. So there you go.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Any more info on this? I go school in the district that elected this moron and I've never heard of this, or the "his wife admits it's a scam" thing. Everyone is just "oh just like all politicians, I won't judge though because I'm not God" about it.

It's a reference to John Ensign of Nevada, who was not only caught banging his staffer's wife, but had both the wife and the husband on campaign/staff payrolls respectively, fired the husband (by finding him a job as a lobbyist without waiting a year - an FEC no-no on top of basically acting as a hotline for the guy's clients afterwards), and had his parents write a $96k 'gift' check to them in order to keep it quiet. Except it wasn't seen as a gift by the staffer and his wife - they thought it was severance pay.

Coburn (of Hoklagoma) was the one who 'floated a number' to the staffer, e.g. suggesting how big that check should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

zoux posted:

Noted liberal rag The Wall Street Journal (WonkWire link since the WSJ is behind a paywall) reported on a Rand study that the ACA has added 9.3 million to insurance rolls since an implementation, which is a roughly five percent decrease in the number of uninsured. So there you go.

The ACA or the exchanges? I figured that number would be higher due to people <= 26 being able to get on their parents plan.

• Locked thread