Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I like DEI not only because the battles are "slower" but because the unit sizes are bigger and many of the casting abilities have been removed. IMO it's loving dumb that units of guys can cast spells and poo poo in an ancient Rome game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Most of them are running faster, getting angry and yelling at people, hardly seems like magic to me. It's arcadey, yeah, but so is a lot of TW.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I was having fun with DEI for 20 hours...until the save games stopped working and now just get stuck on loading at 10%. :(

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Unzip and Attack posted:

I like DEI not only because the battles are "slower" but because the unit sizes are bigger and many of the casting abilities have been removed. IMO it's loving dumb that units of guys can cast spells and poo poo in an ancient Rome game.

On the other hand, I rather appreciate that Generals have lots of special abilities. In Shogun 2 the optimal strategy was to pop Inspire, find the middle of the battle, and hit Stand and Fight. Eventually hitting Rally if your guys started to flag a bit.

In Rome 2 high-level generals have so many abilities that they can single-handedly turn the tide of a battle. Which is about what you'd expect from a Hannibal or Julius Caesar.

For battle speed, the best option is just to hit slow-mo when the battles get complicated. It can be tough to see some things when the battle is paused, and anyway you can't pause on Legendary difficulty.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 3, 2014

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Koramei posted:

He just posted here like a week ago guys, maybe he just has other things to do than update the mod.

Yeah, sorry, just haven't had the time/inclination to gently caress with it. Unfortunately there's no easy well to tell what CA did that broke it, so it's a time consuming process of elimination to find out why it isn't working. If someone else wants to fix it, feel free.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Penakoto posted:

Most of them are running faster, getting angry and yelling at people, hardly seems like magic to me. It's arcadey, yeah, but so is a lot of TW.

Sounds like a sports team with an angry coach to me. Doesn't even sound like an arcade game, sounds like football.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Organized warfare and organized football (either the Euro or U.S. kind) are very much alike when it comes to yelling at muscle heads to have some sense of discipline and team spirit, stay in formation and do planned poo poo instead of acting like one man shows.

Unfortunately the coaches don't ride horses as much as they should.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
DEI can still be heavily hosed with. I like the mod but having a general and army combo that gives over -60% enemy morale is pretty game breaking.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I loaded up DEI for the first time and thought I would try out the new Hannibal campaign. I was confronted with so many units that my brain seized and I quit to the main menu a broken man. Is there a brief run down of the major points I need to know about in terms of unit use and tactics with this thing? Also are all these units simply a case of "more = gud" rather than diversity?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

I loaded up DEI for the first time and thought I would try out the new Hannibal campaign. I was confronted with so many units that my brain seized and I quit to the main menu a broken man. Is there a brief run down of the major points I need to know about in terms of unit use and tactics with this thing? Also are all these units simply a case of "more = gud" rather than diversity?

Next patch they're introducing area of recruitment, so most of the units will be locked behind region requirements. I'm waiting for that until I give it another go.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Sounds like I was lucky to go with Royal Scythia for my DEI campaign, with their three units.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rabhadh posted:

Next patch they're introducing area of recruitment, so most of the units will be locked behind region requirements. I'm waiting for that until I give it another go.

there are so many other good games out i am just sitting back and letting the mods become more and more fleshed out

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

I had never used slingers before this campaign, and realise the ai just lets you unload on them with as many slingers as you want, until you run out of ammo. Move javelins in and their entire force charges forward, but slingers are allowed to decimate a defending ai force.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Scythia pronounced like Scythe, or like Skythia? Skythia sounds better to me, just like Massedon sounds better than Makedon.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gay Hitler posted:

I had never used slingers before this campaign, and realise the ai just lets you unload on them with as many slingers as you want, until you run out of ammo. Move javelins in and their entire force charges forward, but slingers are allowed to decimate a defending ai force.

I haven't found this to be the case. Maybe in some town battles? The AI is fairly proactive about getting out of the skirmish zone for me.

At the same time, some of them build hundreds of javelin troops, and they're terrifying for the 10 seconds before I make melee contact.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Scythia pronounced like Scythe, or like Skythia? Skythia sounds better to me, just like Massedon sounds better than Makedon.

Ancient Greek and Roman alphabets are pretty phonetic, it's Skythia with the hard c.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arcsquad12 posted:

This also only matters as much as you want it too for place a like Macedon. Take for example the modern country called Deutschland in German, Germany in English, and Allemagne in French.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I never understood why every mod makes every battle a massive slog as every unit fights almost to the end for a long time. When i'm playing DeI, I end up having to play battles on fast forward to watch an outcome that isn't really in doubt. What do these people end up doing for 30 minutes every battle? Staring at the unit animations?

I find that mods that slow combat down often overdo it to a stupid degree. That said, Rome 2's combat needed slowing down, as it was often the case that I'd slam my army into the enemy army, and they'd lose half their army in 30 seconds and break, at which point the Benny Hill chase started. Gave up on the campaign after that as it was too boring. Radious mod cranks up morale to ridiculous levels, where you have to reduce every unit to single digits to break them. Wasn't so bad in Shogun 2 as that game had effective ranged units to whittle down the enemy, but I find Rome 2's ranged units to be mostly weak, even when shooting from behind. DEI's units are tough to break, but I find it is possible to break them within a decent timeframe if you pile on the pressure, and unlike Radious mod chain routs are still very effective (once a couple of units break, the rest of the army often follows, while with Radious they'll waver and then go back to "Concerned").

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mr.Sloth posted:

Have you tried Close Combat? It extends engagement time as long as units aren't flanked, rear charged or whatever without fights turning into 30 min slugfests. I've been using it plus the mod compilation posted earlier in the thread and been having a good ol' time.

Can you link the compilation post? I tried Close Combat and I'm enjoying it, especially with the changes to javelin damage so they don't just melt anything in range.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Just a reminder if you have an Nvidia video card. The new 337.50 beta drivers are supposedly supposed to significantly improve performance speed for Rome 2. So it would be nice to give that a whirl if you're suffering from lag.

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Can you link the compilation post? I tried Close Combat and I'm enjoying it, especially with the changes to javelin damage so they don't just melt anything in range.

I can't remember which page the post was on, but you can subscribe to the collection here. Just make sure to read the instructions if you want to install the Graphics Enhancement Mod.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Imapanda posted:

Just a reminder if you have an Nvidia video card. The new 337.50 beta drivers are supposedly supposed to significantly improve performance speed for Rome 2. So it would be nice to give that a whirl if you're suffering from lag.

Fairly decent driver, not seeing all that much performance gain though.

FWIW, on the forest benchmark, I'm getting 64fps with all settings maxed @ 1080p on a 3-way GTX 670 SLI setup

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Is anyone else having the game crash on them as soon as they launch it?

I had a DEI game going, but on Monday when I tried to load it, the game hung as soon as it hit the loading screen. I ended up doing a complete removal of data and Steam re-install, but as of this morning it was still hanging, even when I tried to start it off a fresh install without any mods.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crashing on launch is usually a mod compatibility problem.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Agreed, it's probably a mod compatibility problem. The game can be surprisingly fragile. Make sure that you are clicking on "Play" rather than "Continue Campaign" as you don't want to be loading an obsolete save file. If that doesn't work then double check to make sure that you've deleted all the mods in the workshop, and also in the Windows directory.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

CobiWann posted:

Is anyone else having the game crash on them as soon as they launch it?

I had a DEI game going, but on Monday when I tried to load it, the game hung as soon as it hit the loading screen. I ended up doing a complete removal of data and Steam re-install, but as of this morning it was still hanging, even when I tried to start it off a fresh install without any mods.

I had that same problem, following these steps fixed it. You can just delete everything in the Rome2 folder aside from the saves folders and it'll still work.

Steam Forums posted:

-Go to "C:\Users\Administrador\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2"

-Then delete the Rome2 folder.

-Once removed go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\redist"

-Then open the files listed below in that order and click on repair for each one, the last one doesn't have a repair window pop up, instead you will see a small loading bar,

1-vcredist_x86-90.exe
2-vcredist_x86-100-sp1.exe
3-vcredist_x86-80-sp1.exe

Then just proceed to load your game and it should then go onto the main menu.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Sadly, that didn’t help…I did that, and the suggested Repairs on Steam, and updated my video drivers, and did a fresh, non-mod (removed all my subscribed mods too) install, and still locking up.

Other people seem to be having the same problem. Could just be one of those bugs that hit certain users with a certain configuration that’s impossible to replicate.

I’m bummed out because I FINALLY got into a good, tough campaign. I ended up going north instead of south as Rome, took over France, allied with Iberia and North Africa against Lustina, got Carthage into a client state, and was just now about to roll into Germany and take on the German Confederation when the lock up happened.

It was great because I managed to steamroll most of France in three turns, but then I’m wondering why I’m suddenly at -14 food and realized I couldn’t just pull an “Empire” and take over everything…

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

:stare:

The best part is I was moving this guy across the ocean a hundred turns back and forgot about him so he's been on a boat this whole time...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm coming back to this game after a long hiatus since the first few months of release, and was wondering about a few things: any significant changes to the campaign gameplay that I should keep in mind after all these patches? Also, are the Nomadic Tribes worth purchasing? I enjoyed playing with Parthia's cavalry but I'm wondering if these guys would be noticeably different aside from starting location and minor bonuses.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's generally harder now 'cause the AI is considerably more competent, but nothing fundamental changed, no. And the nomad tribes... their playstyle is significantly different from Parthia (and from each other, even), but they're pretty limited in terms of rosters and building options. I think they're worth getting at $4, much less so at full price, unless you're nuts about Scythia.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
I actually don't really think the nomadic factions add a whole lot to the game. While they're an interesting experience, I think they're a bit too one dimensional to be a fun experience.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Horser archer spam seems rather boring after a while. Parthia at least offers solid infantry options via their Persian swordsmen/archers.

They changed the culture system so it's somewhat harder to just carpet the map with your own culture, you have to keep a few temples around to keep an equilibrium.

e: The changes to mercenaries might make Carthage actually playable now, cool!

Epirus if you like a real challenge.
vvv

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 13, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Sort of bored with my Rome game. I've got most of Africa and almost everything directly north and west of the Italian peninsula. I'm raking in 10k/turn and have over 100k in the bank, and the thought of slogging my superlegions through to capture 90 regions sounds tedious.

The exciting part for me was early, multifront wars fighting for survival. I have the nomad and greek states pack. Which should I play next?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

canyoneer posted:

Sort of bored with my Rome game. I've got most of Africa and almost everything directly north and west of the Italian peninsula. I'm raking in 10k/turn and have over 100k in the bank, and the thought of slogging my superlegions through to capture 90 regions sounds tedious.

I'm kind of at the same point in my Rome game. After failing several times to follow history (and the objectives) and start out swinging for Carthage, I basically ignored the Mediterranean and instead shot straight into Central Europe and built an agricultural juggernaut. Germany is an absolute piggy bank, and my massive naval fleets protect Italia and upper Magna Graecia. Though really I have little to fear, as I'm good friends with a stunted Carthage and a booming Greek Confederation. It's basically the opposite of everything that actually happened, and as a history buff it's really funny that this is what ended up working. We'll see how much further I decide to push this, as I'm running out of funny things to do. Tomorrow I'm planning on a surprise invasion of Britannia from my massive military base in northern Hibernia (Ireland) in order to take out my Iceni allies. Ideally I will then continue East in order to defeat the Steppe nomads and kill off Genghis Khan's great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather in around 250 BC.

But yeah there's absolutely no difficulty left. I'm playing DEI and I haven't even bothered to take real advantage of the new reforms since I'd have to junk all my legions to build the new units. Similarly, I built workshops only to realize that upgrading your units is prohibitively expensive and not really worth the effort. The same could be said for the siege units at this point, since honestly they just slow my legions down. I haven't had much of a reason to leave the campaign map, so I haven't even seen the Marian units this game. I have eight full stacks that are on eternal crusade at this point, not to mention my navies, and so it's just a matter of putting enough units into place that victory is assured on the auto-resolve. I pull in 12k per turn and so it's fairly easy to keep my provinces under control even though many of them are only partially conquered. My only real concern was an impending food shortage, but fortunately I researched the third level of farms and now I'm floating at around a 60 food surplus (it'd be nice if you could tell how much food you'll have when everything is finished building, but whatever it just encourages conservative changes).

Kaal fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 13, 2014

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
There used to be a mod to shorten campaigns, was it ever updated to work with the latest patch? Really can't understand why there's no 'short campaign' option this time round.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I forgot how good this game can look.

Is there a cheat sheet somewhere for building provinces? I have no trouble with the kill your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their families part of the game, but everything else is giving me some trouble.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I solved my "too easy and boring as Rome problem" by starting an Epirus campaign :shepface:

Spartan heavy infantry are monsters.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ghetto Prince posted:

Is there a cheat sheet somewhere for building provinces? I have no trouble with the kill your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their families part of the game, but everything else is giving me some trouble.

This is all in DEI, but I'm sure it translates into the vanilla game as well: Most of the options are pretty crap, since really the only important element is the balance between food and public order. Each culture has their own buildings, which makes it pretty difficult to come up with a complete guide. But basically my go-to plan is this: Every minor settlement gets one farm, every province gets at least one temple, and every provincial capital gets one military recruitment building*. That should make every province more or less self-sustainable, and capable of being defended. Use your generals to sit on newly conquered territories until they settle down pretty well and become quietly productive.

At that point, decide what kind of province you want it to be. Large provinces in central areas are good for military recruitment because you can fit all the military buildings in, while smaller ones are mostly just good for food production. Industrial buildings are kind of a crapshoot, in that money quickly becomes less of a constraint on expansion than food production. Commerce/research/ports/etc. buildings are nice supplements, but shouldn't be allowed to destabilize provincial stability. Most of your money/growth/garrison is going to come from upgrading the settlements themselves. On that note, be willing to scrap or convert buildings when they aren't what you're going to need in the short term, and be conservative in upgrading buildings beyond the second level.

Keep on eye on your food levels, and be sure to float a healthy amount of food surplus. Take a look at the Province tab in order to see which provinces are the most productive (that's where I plant all my bureaucrats), as well as to see which ones are having the most problems with public order. It'll also tell you which provinces you've disabled taxation in, since their revenue is zero, which is nice for managing big empires.

I don't think that you really have to min/max it, and I try to get every type of building into a province just for diversity's sake, but just focus on keeping your food/public order in a healthy balance. Usually I start having problems when I start trying to get clever and allow provinces to overly specialize, or go on a building spree without making sure that I have the reserves to support it all. If you find yourself seriously out of wack, you can always disable taxation in a province, which will reduce public order penalties and also remove it from your food network (if the locals aren't paying your taxes you certainly won't be handing out bread). Technically you can also reduce taxation levels across the board via your economic manager, though I've never needed to do that.

*When you've pushed your front lines suitably far away, you can always go back and convert these excess military buildings into productive buildings. But it's good to give yourself some breathing room so you can retreat into a newly secured territory and recruit viable units if combat goes poorly. Plus it'll add to your garrison.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 14, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Unless you're Carthage and thus have access to a seemingly endless stream of Italian Infantry/Tarantine Cavalry/Elite Horse/Elite Barbarian Whatever that ends up being cheaper to recruit and maintain than your regular units. :shepface:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Thanks Kaal, that really helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Unless you're Carthage and thus have access to a seemingly endless stream of Italian Infantry/Tarantine Cavalry/Elite Horse/Elite Barbarian Whatever that ends up being cheaper to recruit and maintain than your regular units. :shepface:

This actually makes sense and should be how it is from the beginning. Carthage only used Carthaginian army soldiers if the city was under attack. Other than that land forces were mercenaries led by Carthaginian officers.

• Locked thread