Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The ACA or the exchanges?

"Since it took full effect". I'm not sure what that means since I wouldn't have considered "full effect" until the mandate deadline arrived, but I'll assume they include Medicaid expansion and the exchanges. The range cited in the article refers to a drop in uninsured since September 2013, which is well after the 26-y.o. exemption went in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

At this point, my theory is that so long as you don't resign, there isn't a scandal that will take a politician down. Make some apologetic noises and the news cycle will wash it away. Mark Sanford "borrowed" a government vehicle to sneak to the airport to fly to south america to sleep with his mistress, and is sitting in Congress right now. Issa and Scott are both felons. Bob Kerrey is a child murderer. Gingrich and his mistresses. Clinton is a well respected elder statesman. Naked bribery all over the place (do you really think Sheldon Anderson is worried about kids being exposed to gambling instead of competition, or Thomas forgot that 750k?).

Anthony Weiner apologizing to Brietbart and resigning is what doomed him. If he had been completely loving shameless, he'd still be in Congress.

Clinton is the exception because unlike the others he wasn't a member of the Moral Crusaders for Morality (or whatever the hell the various "family values" groups have called themselves throughout the decades) for his entire political career. What he did was lovely, yes, if you're Hillary Clinton, but the Republican witch hunt that resulted was completely uncalled for on every level.

And you may end up being proven wrong if the Chris Christie thing continues to unravel on him. Anyone hear about the shitfit he threw when Joy Behar roasted him?

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 9, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
How many major donors get off on the idea that a congressman is boning their wife? All these scum have open relationships, then they have to act shocked. Cue "rehab."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

How many major donors get off on the idea that a congressman is boning their wife? All these scum have open relationships, then they have to act shocked. Cue "rehab."

NY Post: Major Donor with Major Bonor

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The ACA or the exchanges? I figured that number would be higher due to people <= 26 being able to get on their parents plan.

If that's the same study I saw things about yesterday, it's a combination of new employer-based enrollment, the exchanges, and Medicaid enrollments. It's actually a really interesting figure, because their numbers on the exchanges and Medicaid are well below what's been reported elsewhere, and the biggest part of their number is from people who were previously uninsured who were offered employer-based coverage and took it.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I know Joe posted a link yesterday about Holder losing his patience with the 'honorable gentleman from Texas', Louie Gohmert. The video that circulated about the exchange apparently did not contain Holder's final remark.

Holder Plays Asparagus Card Against GOP Antagonist

quote:

After a testy exchange Tuesday with Rep. Louis Gohmert, a Texas Republican who had clearly gotten on his last nerve, Holder delivered a dose of ridicule.

"Good luck with your asparagus," Holder said dismissively.

:allears:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Haha, that's brilliant. Gohmert might actually be the dumbest person to ever hold a Congressional seat.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
What's the story behind the asparagus thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crain posted:

Malapropism from Gohmert. "You will not cast aspersions on my asparagus" or something.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Crain posted:

The linked article posted:

After Holder vigorously defended himself and his agency at that earlier hearing from Gohmert's accusation that the Justice Department failed to prevent the Boston Marathon bombing, a flustered Gohmert said: "The attorney general will not cast aspersions on my asparagus."

Your guess is as good as ours at what the congressman was going for there.

Fast forward almost a year: The Texas congressman on Tuesday accused the attorney general of not taking seriously the 2012 vote by the Republican-controlled House to find him in contempt over the Fast and Furious scandal.

Holder wasn't about to let that statement go by without response."You don't want to go there, buddy" he told Gohmert. But the congressman did want to go there.

So as the congressman's time to ask questions of the attorney general expired, Holder poked Gohmert in the eye with an asparagus spear, so to speak.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

zoux posted:

Malapropism from Gohmert. "You will not cast aspersions on my asparagus" or something.

I've seen it described as a malapropism in several articles, but what the hell was Gohmert aiming for? I've been looking for words that are kind of similar, but I'm drawing a blank...

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

richardfun posted:

I've seen it described as a malapropism in several articles, but what the hell was Gohmert aiming for? I've been looking for words that are kind of similar, but I'm drawing a blank...

Aspirations, maybe? Only thing I can think of.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

richardfun posted:

My guess is he didn't have an object in mind for "aspersions," and just circled back to the same word, i.e., he got to "don't cast aspersions on my ____", mentally filled in "don't cast aspersions on my . . . aspersions . . ., realized that was wrong, and short-circuited.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

richardfun posted:

My guess is wires crossed in his brain and he was going to say "aspersions" a second time (still incorrectly mind you) but it came out as asparagus.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess is he didn't have an object in mind for "aspersions," and just circled back to the same word, i.e., he got to "don't cast aspersions on my ____", mentally filled in "don't cast aspersions on my . . . aspersions . . ., realized that was wrong, and short-circuited.
Basically this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

richardfun posted:

It's important to keep in mind that Gohmert is a loving retard.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Aspersions on my asparagus" is the new "Keep loving that chicken".

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

It's important to keep in mind that Gohmert is a loving retard.

I think you mean permanent idiot king.

In somewhat subtle trolling news:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

9mm? That sissy little europellet? Looks like another RINO!

A True American Patriot would only provide .45 ACP.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

comes along bort posted:

I have no idea how much a weapon rental / ammunition from a firing range usually costs -- are those really outlandish prices for those plus food/drink? I probably would have guessed about fifty bucks for the pistol one, but I've never held a loaded gun in my life.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

loquacius posted:

I have no idea how much a weapon rental / ammunition from a firing range usually costs -- are those really outlandish prices for those plus food/drink? I probably would have guessed about fifty bucks for the pistol one, but I've never held a loaded gun in my life.

The $100 level looks like a legit good deal if you wanted to go shoot some pistols and SMGs with catered food.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

amanasleep posted:

Don't call me pal, Riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Don't call me whatever that was, me old china.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

loquacius posted:

$15/hr is normal if you're bringing your own gun, so add in another :10bux: for the food and beverages and I'm assuming he got a bulk discount for renting out the entire place.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Seriously, gently caress Ben Stein:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/09/ben-stein-poor-people-are-jealous-lazy-drunks-who-dont-appreciate-indoor-plumbing/

Warcabbit posted:

Don't call me whatever that was, me old china.

Don't call me old china, confidant and compatriot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

comes along bort posted:

I'm going to start a countergroup called "For a Well Regulated Militia".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So does that count as "class warfare" since apparently saying mean things about the rich does.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Aspirations, maybe? Only thing I can think of.

His aspirations to do...what, exactly? Run Holder out of town, tarred and feathered?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He was trying to say "aspersions on my character". Just before the asparagus line he said, "I cannot have a witness challenge my character."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I suppose if you squint, "character" and "asparagus" sort of look the same. Kinda.

Louie Gohmert's still a moron though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

He probably heard it from whoever beats him in the head with a hammer every day, thought it was a funny turn of phrase, and decided to blurt it at the attorney general.

Problem is that his hammer-wielding gimp master was fielding a bit of gastronomic criticism from the wife regarding his failure at properly cooking the otherwise delightful vegetable in question. She'd yelled down into the basement about how the asparagus was a lovely, lemony-peppery mush and the gimp, taking offense, insisted she not cast aspersions on his asparagus. Gohmert, as he had not yet received the first of his nightly concussions, was lucid enough to overhear. It was literally aspersions being cast upon a man's asparagus, but Gohmert took it as a euphemism (that bastard burns my grits/grinds my gears/throws shade) because he's a loving idiot.

Alternatively he believes he is literally a plate of asparagus and refers to himself in the self-possessive second vegetable. When he said "my asparagus" he meant himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

I suppose if you squint, "character" and "asparagus" sort of look the same. Kinda.

You know how when you are thinking about something else, that can creep into what you are talking about. I think Gohmert was thinking about how impressed he was with himself about using the word "aspersions" correctly in a sentence and accidentally said it twice.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

zoux posted:

You know how when you are thinking about something else, that can creep into what you are talking about. I think Gohmert was thinking about how impressed he was with himself about using the word "aspersions" correctly in a sentence and accidentally said it twice.

I am gonna go on record and say that Gohmert was attempting an homage to the Three Stooges.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

comes along bort posted:

This is a fart's distance away from my place. I could go there and check it out, but last time I went there it was asses to elbows and had a 2 hour wait or some poo poo, so...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Senate Intelligence Committee released a cropped (480 pages out of 6600, the executive summary + 20 conclusions and lessons learned) report on the CIA's torture program. Lots of new details on the black sites and the methods.

Not lunchtime reading. Not anytime reading really. But this poo poo needs to be exposed.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/9/senate-cia-torture.html

Excerpt getting buzz:

Interrogator: "We've gotten everything we can out of the guy"
CIA office: "Water board him some more"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Senate Intelligence Committee released a cropped (480 pages out of 6600, the executive summary + 20 conclusions and lessons learned) report on the CIA's torture program. Lots of new details on the black sites and the methods.

Not lunchtime reading. Not anytime reading really. But this poo poo needs to be exposed.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/9/senate-cia-torture.html

Excerpt getting buzz:

Interrogator: "We've gotten everything we can out of the guy"
CIA office: "Water board him some more"

Jesus Christ

quote:

According to Al Jazeera’s sources, Zain Abidin Mohammed Husain Abu Zubaydah was the only captive subjected to all 10 torture techniques identified in an August 2002 Justice Department memo. But the U.S. officials said the Senate report concludes that the methods applied to Abu Zubaydah went above and beyond the guidelines outlined in that memo and were used before the memo establishing their legality was written.

The Senate report allegedly adopts part of a narrative from former FBI special agent Ali Soufan, who first interrogated Abu Zubaydah at the black site and wrote in his book “The Black Banners” that Mitchell was conducting an “experiment” on Abu Zubaydah.

For example, the August 2002 Justice Department legal memo authorized sleep deprivation for Abu Zubaydah for 11 consecutive days, but Mitchell kept him awake far longer, the U.S. officials said, citing classified CIA cables. Abu Zubaydah was stripped naked, strapped into a chair and doused with cold water to keep him awake. He was then interrogated and asked what he knew, at which point, his attorney told Al Jazeera, Abu Zubaydah was “psychotic” and would have admitted to anything.

Additionally, the report allegedly says that Abu Zubaydah was stuffed into a pet crate (the type used to transport dogs on airplanes) over the course of two weeks and routinely passed out, was shackled by his wrists to the ceiling of his cell and subjected to an endless loop of loud music. One former interrogator briefed about Abu Zubaydah’s interrogations from May to July 2002 told Al Jazeera that the music used to batter the detainee’s senses was by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

The latest date I see in the article is 2006, how many years does this report cover?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Alter Ego posted:

Let's split the difference: Aspergsions.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Looks like there was a school stabbing incident this morning in Pennsylvania. I wonder how long it will take the Right to start claiming we should ban knives now herp derp.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm an advocate for open carry knives.

*he unsheathed his Hanzo steel*

E:

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 9, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Unzip and Attack posted:

Looks like there was a school stabbing incident this morning in Pennsylvania. I wonder how long it will take the Right to start claiming we should ban knives now herp derp.
From the article I read

quote:

All are expected to survive.

That's the difference.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Boy, "The Civil War Was About States Rights, Not Slavery" is getting long in the tooth. How can we being new life to Southern righteousness, denigrate "big government", and bring religion into it?
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/jim-demint-asserts-federal-government-played-no-role-freeing-slaves

Jim Demint posted:

Well the reason that the slaves were eventually freed was the Constitution, it was like the conscience of the American people. Unfortunately there were some court decisions like Dred Scott and others that defined some people as property, but the Constitution kept calling us back to ‘all men are created equal and we have inalienable rights’ in the minds of God. But a lot of the move to free the slaves came from the people, it did not come from the federal government. It came from a growing movement among the people, particularly people of faith, that this was wrong. People like Wilberforce who persisted for years because of his faith and because of his love for people. So no liberal is going to win a debate that big government freed the slaves. In fact, it was Abraham Lincoln, the very first Republican, who took this on as a cause and a lot of it was based on a love in his heart that comes from God.
Boom, you just got trifectaed, America!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

Winning Florida while still losing Virgina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, among others, does not make it a race. Jeb might win Florida thanks to Florida being America's Taint, but if Romney couldn't win a bunch of battleground states the only way Jeb will is through some next level voter fraud.
Florida might be interesting if Charlie Crist wins against Rick Scott in 2014. Even back when Crist was a Republican, he signed an executive order that automatically restored felon voter rights upon release from prison. Rick Scott has of course reversed that order; can't have all those released prisoners voting for Democrats voting again after paying their debt to society.

Not only that, since Crist is an actual Democrat now, there won't be a bunch of attempts to cut early voting hours, voter ID crap, bullshit "voter purges" right before the election, super long voting lines on election day, or any of the other crap Republicans love to do to suppress the vote.

What I'm trying to say is welcome to the Democratic party Mr. Crist, we're happy to have you.

• Locked thread