Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I'm just happy Arsenal posters are melting down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

not not luvd posted:

I'm not sure it is embarrassing. I've always been hugely pro Wenger and even I'm wavering.

Me to luvd, me to.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Jose posted:

lol how wrong can you be

No, you're right, just because he nicks the ball from behind players all the time instead of getting stuck in means he's the worst defensive attacker of all time. Get the gently caress out of here.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

mynameisjohn posted:

You know what, so am I.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Someone post that Cazorla gif from the Everton game tia

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

mynameisjohn posted:

It's that time of year to be fair. It would have been nice if we could have had a slow decline into fourth while winning the FA Cup rather than making GBS threads the bed but what can you do.

Next year..

NNick posted:

Me to luvd, me to.

It makes me sad :smith:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

not not luvd posted:

Also I don't really know anything about how Kroenke manages his US stuff but I find it hard to believe he's busting at the gut to spend money to take us up a place or two if we're making money in fourth.

I don't think he's dying to throw immense amounts of money at the problem but I also don't think he's as tone-deaf as people assume. Arsenal has been increasingly associated with a lack of ambition or desire for years now and while I doubt Kroenke gives one poo poo about winning titles I think he's well aware that if that perception continues Arsenal aren't going to continue to be profitable.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shoren posted:

Cazorla is hardly a luxury player. He may not run himself into the ground as much as Rosicky but he does work defensively, much more than Podolski that's for sure. He didn't go about it well, but he's entirely right.

I don't think he's a luxury player per se (he wasn't last season), but he clearly doesn't work with Ozil, and has been absolutely dogshit for the last 3 months or so.

Ideally I think the three behind the striker will be Ozil behind the striker and some combination of Wilshere/Walcott/New Left Winger on the wings. Cazorla may be handy to keep around for a backup for all three positions, but if the quotes are true he can gently caress right off imo.

e: I doubt Kroenke steps in unless we miss out on fourth and he has to inject some funds to protect his investment. I'm not sure it will be necessary if we retain fourth, since by all accounts there's decent money to be spent.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 9, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Shoren posted:

No, you're right, just because he nicks the ball from behind players all the time instead of getting stuck in means he's the worst defensive attacker of all time. Get the gently caress out of here.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Cazorla has quality, but Wenger doesn't seem very good at getting the most out of supposedly-in-their-prime attacking players. Arshavin, Podolski, Cazorla, worrying signs that Ozil could go the same way (and comedy answers of Bendtner and Park Chu-Young). Some of it may be lack of depth meaning they get overplayed, but I don't think that's all it is. More of it is probably Wenger's insistence on having the full backs cross it 50 times a match, which doesn't exactly play to the strengths of Spanish and Russian midgets with good technical skill.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

blue footed boobie posted:

Ideally I think the three behind the striker will be Ozil behind the striker and some combination of Wilshere/Walcott/New Left Winger on the wings.

Ramsey?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ravel posted:

Ramsey?

he would be part of the midfield 2 imo. We need to get some code tags itt.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

RVProfootballer posted:

Arshavin, Podolski, Cazorla

All players who prefer to have less than zero defensive duties. That's the issue more than anything.

In a total football loving world where we have as many central midfielders and generalists as is possible we can't afford to carry too many players like that.

The main issue this year though has been losing Ramsey and Theo as without them we can't really play our game. Obviously capable backup is the solution there.

Also Giroud/Sanogo/Bendtner. Just writing that hurts.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
How different this season would have been had we bid 50m for Suarez lol

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ravel posted:

They wouldn't have sold for 50 tbh.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
^^I don't think it would have taken much more. Now it would be closer to 100.

Ravel posted:

I don't want to get into this but I think we might have won the league :qq:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Ravel posted:

They weren't loving selling him. The transfer to be angry about was Higuain where Wenger just gave up on a transfer over a few million, in order to chase Suarez for even loving more money. Its so infuriating. We desperately needed another quality striking option and missing out on a great player, who was nearly certain to be moving clubs, because we were chasing down an even more expensive player, who was hardly a certainty for a transfer, from a club who have plenty of good reasons not to want to sell us their best player, is monumentally retarded.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 9, 2014

MACHI
Mar 4, 2008

I've lost track of the number of times carzola has been bullied off the ball leading to a counter and often goal. Hes only even looked good when arsenal are dominating midfield against weaker opposition. Luxury player is spot on.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Stinky Pit posted:

They weren't loving selling him. The transfer to be angry about was Higuain where Wenger just gave up on a transfer over a few million, in order to chase Suarez for even loving more money. Its so infuriating.

I'm posting too much ITT but I think not paying what Napoli paid for Higuain was the right decision. He's not worth that and I do think Suarez was available if we paid the right amount of money and didn't take the piss.

We left it too late though as we always do. We shouldn't be in a position where we're hurrying around with a week to go begging teams to let us have a player they'll have no time replacing.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

They wouldn't have sold for 50 tbh.

He was a good player that was banned for the next few months. He'd been banned for cumulatively 19 games in two seasons the first of which he'd spent being as unclinical as possible.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Arsenal could have won the league if all their players didn't break in half at the most vital moment. Having Ramsey, Walcott, Wilshere, Chamberlain, and Ozil playing through the entire season wouldn't have lead to the collapse we're seeing

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the genesis of Mourinho's managerial skills are that he's able to convince twinks like Hazard and Willian to be defensive wingers and contain the wing. He loving played Eto'o at like wing back that one time in the Champions League too. Arsene's team is too compartmentalized into attacking and defending roles. Teams that attack and defend as a cohesive unit usually trump those that are split into duties.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ravel posted:

He was a good player that was banned for the next few months. He'd been banned for cumulatively 19 games in two seasons the first of which he'd spent being as unclinical as possible.

I really don't think so. Rodgers was initially floating 55m after Cavani went to PSG, then when we bid 40 he started saying that it would take Bale money to get him. They (rightfully) were never going to actually sell him.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

not not luvd posted:

I'm posting too much ITT but I think not paying what Napoli paid for Higuain was the right decision. He's not worth that and I do think Suarez was available if we paid the right amount of money and didn't take the piss.

I just don't think Liverpool selling Suarez was ever realistic. They weren't close, they were flat out not willing to sell him. The club risked legal action by refusing to honor his clause or whatever it was. They risked that because they wanted to keep Suarez not because Arsenal didn't pony up a few million more.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

mynameisjohn posted:

the genesis of Mourinho's managerial skills are that he's able to convince twinks like Hazard and Willian to be defensive wingers and contain the wing. He loving played Eto'o at like wing back that one time in the Champions League too. Arsene's team is too compartmentalized into attacking and defending roles. Teams that attack and defend as a cohesive unit usually trump those that are split into duties.

I don't think this is true. I think the issue is that we're trying to player players who like to be in compartmentalised teams as if they were all rounders who were happy to put in a shift.

Also generally our tactics aren't defensive enough. We have to rely on our wingers and attacking players to run back and do too much because our centre mids don't give the back five enough protection.

If the team was set up differently we could get the most out of these exact same players.

But yeah injuries are AW's stubbornness have hosed us this year.

Stinky Pit posted:

I just don't think Liverpool selling Suarez was ever realistic. They weren't close, they were flat out not willing to sell him. The club risked legal action by refusing to honor his clause or whatever it was. They risked that because they wanted to keep Suarez not because Arsenal didn't pony up a few million more.

I think if we told them 55m it would have been a deal. They needed a figure that they could sell to the fans as good business.

Obviously this is just my opinion and I might be way way way way off.

Also lol at this becoming the Arsenal thread. Looking forward to people moaning.

E2 - Re: Cazorla. I can see us selling to City at some point.

not not luvd fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 9, 2014

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
He was a player desperate to leave and he wasn't THAT good last year. He was overvalued at 55m because Liverpool, a team which finished seventh in the league, were supposedly hosed without him. Now he's worth more than Bale ever was imo.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

If you watched Willian at Anzhi he was straight dog poo poo and just wandered around on the wing and tried to beat people. He had a better work rate in the Shakhtar team, but was still definitely a one sided player. Mourinho has gotten a ton out of him defensively that, if he were in a Wenger team, he probably either wouldn't be asked or wouldn't be bothered to do. Not sure if he's lost it tactically or managerially.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Theo Walcott's injury was the turning point. His pace and movement opened up the attack and it's no coincidence that Ozil and Giroud both look much worse without him in the side. The dumb thing is that replacements were available in January. Look at Salah for Chelsea as an example of exactly the kind of player that Arsenal lack.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

mynameisjohn posted:

If you watched Willian at Anzhi he was straight dog poo poo and just wandered around on the wing and tried to beat people. He had a better work rate in the Shakhtar team, but was still definitely a one sided player. Mourinho has gotten a ton out of him defensively that, if he were in a Wenger team, he probably either wouldn't be asked or wouldn't be bothered to do. Not sure if he's lost it tactically or managerially.

The reason Mourinho beats us every single time is because we only play one way. We set out to play to our strengths and don't focus on the opposition at all. It's a beautiful ideology and it's resulted in some wonderful teams and football but I wish he was a bit less rigid. The Paris final still hurts.

J Hume posted:

Theo Walcott's injury was the turning point. His pace and movement opened up the attack and it's no coincidence that Ozil and Giroud both look much worse without him in the side. The dumb thing is that replacements were available in January. Look at Salah for Chelsea as an example of exactly the kind of player that Arsenal lack.

If I had plat I'd find my post from when I found he was out for the reason. The league was gone as soon as that happened IMO.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

not not luvd posted:

E2 - Re: Cazorla. I can see us selling to City at some point.

If the quotes are true he could be leaving this summer.

Generally I'd like to see Arteta leave. He's been astonishingly poo poo this year and has high wages. I also think its time to move Poldi out. I actually like him as a player, but he's such a defensive liability that we can't afford to give him anything but 20 minute cameos.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Arsenal are always "right there". It's always one big transfer away, one player back from injury, etc. It's not going to happen with such a weak mentality in the team no matter what.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

tbp posted:

Arsenal are always "right there". It's always one big transfer away, one player back from injury, etc. It's not going to happen with such a weak mentality in the team no matter what.

To be fair it's a lot of injuries not just one and one striker (not) literally catapult us into contention. Liverpool with Giroud instead of Suarez this year wouldn't be about to win the league.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I think Podolski is a good player, that Arsene can't figure out how to set up a team to take advantage of one of the few direct, attacking minded players Arsenal have left at this point in the season is the kind of thing that makes me question his ability as manager.

not not luvd posted:

To be fair it's a lot of injuries not just one and one striker (not) literally catapult us into contention. Liverpool with Giroud instead of Suarez this year wouldn't be about to win the league.

I think the argument that people make a lot is that a Squad that aspires to win titles can't be paper-thin, and I think while a lot of it is "LMAO Arsenal" there is certainly a bit of truth in that. We've known Arsenal needed more players since last season, and while injuries have been pretty cruel to an already thin side, there was an entire window to try and address the problem and Wenger signed one player, who himself was injured.

It's a little bit baffling.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 9, 2014

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

tbp posted:

It's almost as if Wenger must walk?

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
Giroud would probably do well in the Rodgers System, with players actualy making runs behind him tbf.

It must be hard for him to do well with a Bare Bones Arsenal

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

It's almost as if Wenger must walk?

The only person I would be happy with replacing him is Klopp.

Grimble posted:

Giroud would probably do well in the Rodgers System, with players actualy making runs behind him tbf.

It must be hard for him to do well with a Bare Bones Arsenal

Nah they rely on incredibly mobile and quick forwards.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Rodgers wouldn't have Giroud because he'd know he wouldn't work in the team, and he'd have sold him like he did Andy Carroll.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
Will miss Micah Richards, obviously not as a player, he's shite, but it's gutting how ruined he got by injuries and how much it's affected him, he could have been awesome :(

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Will miss Micah Richards, obviously not as a player, he's shite

He's better than Dimachalis surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

tbp posted:

It's because they always have a star player leaving in the summer and then replaces said player with 1 decent transfer and a bunch of lottery tickets.

• Locked thread