Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What is the difference between an int and an unsigned int anyways?

I guess I should know this and google it to prevent shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Tusen Takk posted:

With ints, 4-5 is -1, while with unsigned ints, 4-5 is 4294967295.
(Assuming 32 bit ints.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hahaha, holy poo poo, my TA for data structures and algorithms posted this to the class's discussion board:

quote:

For those who bother by using std::xxx, you might add "using namespace std;" for a simpler name space, i.e. xxx instead of std::xxx.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Tusen Takk posted:

An "int" is a signed integer, meaning it represents a range of numbers that includes negative numbers. An "unsigned int" can represent only nonnegative integers. (If the range of nonnegative values offered by a signed int on your platform is abundant for your purposes, then you could still use an unsigned int to store a value that ought to always be nonnegative, if it fits your needs.)

As for the advisability of using signed or unsigned ints for particular purposes (absent a real need for a particular range of representable values), I don't know, as I am a newb when it comes to low-level languages like C++.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

hooah posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo, my TA for data structures and algorithms posted this to the class's discussion board:

It's certainly a code smell, but it's not same level of horror as having using namespace std in a header file.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Edison was a dick posted:

It's certainly a code smell, but it's not same level of horror as having using namespace std in a header file.

Except she didn't specify where to use it; she just said to use it in general. The projects we're doing have source and header files.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

As a beginning cs student what's wrong with this? Because I've been doing this, now I feel bad.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
It pollutes the namespace of every consumer of your header with the crap you pulled in with the using directive, leading to unexpected collisions.

e: here's an example of what can go wrong

in your_header.h
C++ code:
using namespace std; // whoops! now everyone who includes this header is also using namespace std
in consumer.c (someone else's code)

C++ code:
#include <your_header.h>
#include <vector> // expected this would pull in std::vector, but since we're already in namespace std...
#include <some_linear_algebra_library> // this pulls in linal::vector

using namespace linal; // consumer wants to refer to stuff in that linear algebra library without specifying namespace

vector v; // namespace collision, the compiler can't unambiguously tell whether the user meant std::vector or linal::vector
And now the other programmer will get a compiler error on line 7 of consumer.c telling him about an ambiguous reference to 'vector' and verbosely listing the candidates.

Blotto Skorzany fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 8, 2014

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Is there a name for this?

You have an array of n objects. Some are red, some are blue. You want to sort the array so that the blue objects are at the start and the red objects are at the end. You do not care whether two red objects or two blue objects stay in the same relative position. For simplicity assume that you know up front the number of red and the number of blue objects, in particular you know whether either is zero (in which case the array obviously is already sorted).

You initialise two counters, i and j say. i is initialised to zero and j is initialised to n - 1. i counts upwards until the ith array element is found to be red. Then j counts downwards until the jth array element is found to be blue. Then you check whether j is less than i. If it is then you are finished, otherwise swap the ith and jth elements and go back to incrementing i.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Hammerite posted:

"Unstable sort".

Nb. that people will be less reticent to assist w/ homework problems when you're explicit about their nature

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Otto Skorzeny posted:

"Unstable sort".

Nb. that people will be less reticent to assist w/ homework problems when you're explicit about their nature

I apologise. I did not mean to deceive anyone. I will be explicit in future if I am asking in relation to something similar.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Re: using namespace, there are two problem cases that tend to crop up if you just throw using directives around everywhere. One is having using namespace in a header as Skorzeny mentioned and the other is putting it before includes in a .cpp file. Writing:
C++ code:
    using namespace fnord;
    // ...
    #include "Platform/IO/AwesomeStream.h"
means that when AwesomeStream.h is included it will be with that using directive "active" (since #include is actual textual inclusion that just copy-pastes some code for you). This will similarly change the meaning of the code in the header and can cause fun conflicts, in this case appearing in some other file entirely.

There's nothing particularly wrong with using namespace in a .cpp file where you know you don't have name collisions and are making frequent use of things in that namespace, even if that namespace happens to be std and you're making frequent use of the STL.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 8, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrughes posted:

Unsigned int is the maximal code smell as far as unsignedness goes.

I'm curious, why don't you like unsigned int? I use it a fair bit for "unsigned, natural machine word size". I like the "no negatives" documentation element, and using the natural size would keep the compiler from having to generate masking or whatever like you could see with short or whatever (perhaps more historically than now).

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I am writing some code which will deal with large-ish (a few thousand members) arrays of small integers (like, no more than 4 digits). Should I use short, or just go with int? I know that short is at least 16 bits, so there is no question of it being big enough, I just wonder if it will be looked at as premature optimisation and/or an ignorant ineffectual attempt to optimise (because I don't know whether it, in fact, optimises anything)

Disclosure: I am writing code for a evaluation exercise from a company to which I am applying for a job.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hammerite posted:

I am writing some code which will deal with large-ish (a few thousand members) arrays of small integers (like, no more than 4 digits). Should I use short, or just go with int? I know that short is at least 16 bits, so there is no question of it being big enough, I just wonder if it will be looked at as premature optimisation and/or an ignorant ineffectual attempt to optimise (because I don't know whether it, in fact, optimises anything)

Disclosure: I am writing code for a evaluation exercise from a company to which I am applying for a job.

A few thousand 32 bit ints still make for less than 100 kb of memory. A modern system won't even bat an eye at it.
Call back when you get into several million items.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Hammerite posted:

If this is for an embedded system, using the smallest type that can hold all required values makes sense. Otherwise, I'd call it premature optimization.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Subjunctive posted:

I'm curious, why don't you like unsigned int? I use it a fair bit for "unsigned, natural machine word size". I like the "no negatives" documentation element, and using the natural size would keep the compiler from having to generate masking or whatever like you could see with short or whatever (perhaps more historically than now).

It's a bad smell because the benefits are weak arguments like this one. The documentation advantage is illusory, it's the inverse Ackermann function of advantages. Almost every time I've seen an unsigned int, the code was brittle against values greater than 2 billion anyway because somewhere, it gets converted to an int. Or it gets compared against an int and the person writing the code didn't have warnings turned on, or there's casting on all the comparisons. Or it's being used in places where a size_t would be the correct choice, or a specific choice of uintN_t.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hammerite posted:

I am writing some code which will deal with large-ish (a few thousand members) arrays of small integers (like, no more than 4 digits). Should I use short, or just go with int?
(Edit: For the index type:)

So the real question is, how is the size of the array actually determined? Assuming it's not hardcoded, there's probably some function that populates the array and indicates its size (number of elements). Whatever integer type returned by the "size" function is a good candidate.

If the array is hardcoded, I typically compute the number of elements as "sizeof(array)/sizeof(array[0])". Since the result type of the sizeof operator is size_t, then size_t would be the appropriate index type.

Otherwise, in absence of a specific circumstance that demands a better choice, size_t is usually a good answer as it's sufficiently large to index any byte array that can fit in the process VM space.

Hammerite posted:

I know that short is at least 16 bits, so there is no question of it being big enough, I just wonder if it will be looked at as premature optimisation and/or an ignorant ineffectual attempt to optimise (because I don't know whether it, in fact, optimises anything)
The last time I wrote code where this actually mattered was on a machine with a 6809 CPU and < 1 kB RAM.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 8, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrughes posted:

Or it's being used in places where a size_t would be the correct choice, or a specific choice of uintN_t.

Yeah, that's true. Guess I have a decade of habit to reform!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If the array is hardcoded, I typically compute the number of elements as "sizeof(array)/sizeof(array[0])". Since the result type of the sizeof operator is size_t, then size_t would be the appropriate index type.

I think he's asking about the storage type rather than the index type; the latter is size_t all the way IMO.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I think he's asking about the storage type rather than the index type; the latter is size_t all the way IMO.
Oh, good call. For the storage type, the risk of using a short is if it results in unaligned accesses on that platform. In general though, I'd make the storage type be compatible with whatever API actually was going to use that data.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Yes, sorry, I am talking about the items stored as the values of the array. I had forgotten that C++ was flexible in allowing customised array access.

Actually the array is fixed in size. That might sound strange, I don't really want to discuss it further though because I figure it would not be proper to reveal details of the task.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
Hello again. So I have a dilemma, I am working on a Vigenere cypher and have almost got it complete, but for some reason combining a cypher letter of Z or z to any letter greater than G seems to give me a negative ASCII value (i.e. -128 when I add values 25 and 103). I flooded my code with print functions and can't see where it is going wrong. Everything else seems to be going great except when a Z is introduced in the argument and used to modify an input code letter greater than g. Upper-case G works great. Any advice on this would be hugely appreciated.
code:
int main (int argc, string argv[])
//argument check
{
if (argc != 2)
    {
    printf("You need 1 argument, sucka!\n");
    return 1;
    }    

else
//codword check and storage. inputCode is keyword and inputLet is each letter in the keyword. 
    {
    string inputCode = argv[1];
    int inputLet[strlen(inputCode)];
    for (int i = 0, n = strlen(inputCode); i < n; i++)
        {
        if (isalpha(inputCode[i]))
            {
                if(isupper(inputCode[i]))
                    {
                    inputLet[i] = (int) inputCode[i]%'A';
                    printf("upper cypher%i\n", inputLet[i]);
                    }
                else if (islower(inputCode[i]))
                    {
                    inputLet[i] = (int) inputCode[i]%'a';
                    printf("lower cypher %i\n", inputLet[i]);
                    }
            }
        else
            {
            printf("Alphabet only, please!\n");
            return 1;
            }
        }
//Get the phrase *coded is array for converted letters*
     string phrase = GetString();
     //printf("%s\n", phrase);   
     char code[strlen(phrase)];

//convert the phrase
    for (int i = 0, n = strlen(phrase), z = strlen(inputCode), x = strlen(inputCode); i < n; i++)
        {
        if (isdigit(phrase[i]) || isblank(phrase[i]) || ispunct(phrase[i]))
            {
            code[i] = phrase[i];
            }
        else
            {
            if (isupper(phrase[i]))
                {
                printf("%i + %i\n", inputLet[x%z], phrase[i]);
                code[i] = inputLet[x % z] + phrase[i];
                x++;
                printf("x is %i\n", x);
                printf("pre upper %i is %c\n", code[i], code[i]);
                    if (code[i] > 'Z')
                        {
                        code[i] = code[i] - 26;
                        printf ("post upper %i %c\n", code[i], code[i]);
                        }
                 }
             else if (islower(phrase[i]))
             {
             printf("%i + %i\n", inputLet[x%z], phrase[i]);
             code[i] = inputLet[x % z] + phrase[i];
             x++;
             printf("x is %i\n", x);
             printf("pre lower %i is %c\n", code[i], code[i]);
                    if (code[i] > 'z')
                    {
                    code[i] = code[i] - 26;
                    printf(" post lower %i is %c\n", code[i], code[i]);
                    }    
             }

}
        }
        for (int i = 0, n = strlen(phrase); i < n; i++)
            {
            printf("%c", code[i]);
            }
        printf("\n"); 
    }
}
(Also, GetString is a function added by a special header file I am using.)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
A signed 1 byte integer (char) can only hold the values from -128 to 127

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

astr0man posted:

So should I convert to an int and redefine it as a char after the encryption?

Edit: It worked! Thanks!

durtan fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 8, 2014

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

astr0man posted:

What makes you think char is a signed type?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I think I tried to be a bit too clever. I have a function that accepts a std::ostream & as a parameter. I want to pass a std::ofstream to it. But I get linking error LNK2019. And a long error message that contains a lot of @'s for some reason. Is there a way to get this to work?... I can post more detail if it'd help.

Disclosure: I am writing code for an evaluation exercise from a company to which I am applying for a job.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

What makes you think char is an unsigned type?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrughes posted:

IIRC it's signed on x86 (gcc/llvm/MSVC) and unsigned on ARM by default, because ARM didn't have a sign-extending byte load instruction. Regardless of char's signedness, though, char, unsigned char and signed char are distinct, and char isn't compatible with the other two.

Yay C.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

I think I tried to be a bit too clever. I have a function that accepts a std::ostream & as a parameter. I want to pass a std::ofstream to it. But I get linking error LNK2019. And a long error message that contains a lot of @'s for some reason. Is there a way to get this to work?... I can post more detail if it'd help.

Disclosure: I am writing code for an evaluation exercise from a company to which I am applying for a job.

I was mistaken about this, it has nothing to do with the ostream/ofstream thing. The error message made me think that's what it was, but it was actually just me forgetting to update a function declaration with a parameter I had added.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Hammerite posted:

You have an array of n objects. Some are red, some are blue. You want to sort the array so that the blue objects are at the start and the red objects are at the end. You do not care whether two red objects or two blue objects stay in the same relative position. For simplicity assume that you know up front the number of red and the number of blue objects, in particular you know whether either is zero (in which case the array obviously is already sorted).

You initialise two counters, i and j say. i is initialised to zero and j is initialised to n - 1. i counts upwards until the ith array element is found to be red. Then j counts downwards until the jth array element is found to be blue. Then you check whether j is less than i. If it is then you are finished, otherwise swap the ith and jth elements and go back to incrementing i.

As Otto said, the fact that you don't care about the relative ordering of only red or only blue means this is an unstable sort. The fact that a simple linear-time algorithm exists is because you have exactly two different keys (red and blue). For three or more keys this won't work and you have to use a general n log n algorithm or radix sort or similar. It's somewhat common in parameterised computer science problems that the problem with K=2 is somehow fundamentally "much easier" than the problem for any greater K (see also SAT, graph colouring). I don't know if there's a name for that particular phenomenon, though.

seiken fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 9, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

shrughes posted:

Sorry shrughes I guess I should have been more specific and said that in his specific case his machine was treating a variable declared as a char as a signed 8-bit integer and that it was overflowing. I hope you can forgive me for making this mistake.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

Hammerite posted:

"Partition" is probably more accurate than "sort", here. See e.g. http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/algorithm/partition/.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's been a bit since I've used getline, so I'm a little lost as to why this isn't doing what I expect:
C++ code:
	string input;
	PrintVisitor pv;
	SimpVisitor sv;
	EvalVisitor ev;
	int x, y, z;
	cout << boolalpha;
	cout << "Write a boolean expression: ";
	getline(cin, input);
	while(input != "END"){
		cout << "Original input string: " << input << endl;
		Parser reader;
		reader.parse(input);
		Exp *p = reader.getResult();
		cout << endl << "Print (original form): ";
		p->accept(&pv);
		cout << endl << "Print (simplified form): ";
		p->accept(&sv);
		cout << endl << "Print (evaluation form):" << endl;
		p->accept(&ev);
		cout << "The expression evaluates to " << ev.getVal() << endl;
		cout << "Write a boolean expression: ";
		getline(cin, input);
	}
The first getline does what I'd expect, but the second never accepts input. Why is that?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

seiken posted:

As Otto said, the fact that you don't care about the relative ordering of only red or only blue means this is an unstable sort. The fact that a simple linear-time algorithm exists is because you have exactly two different keys (red and blue). For three or more keys this won't work and you have to use a general n log n algorithm or radix sort or similar. It's somewhat common in parameterised computer science problems that the problem with K=2 is somehow fundamentally "much easier" than the problem for any greater K (see also SAT, graph colouring). I don't know if there's a name for that particular phenomenon, though.

If you know the number of partitions beforehand, you should be able to implement an in-place algorithm running in O(n*(K-1)) time, n being length of array and K being number of partitions.

Keep a table of "end of placed elements", one for each partition.
For each element in the array, first to last: Find which partition the element belongs to. If this is the last partition, it's already in place. Otherwise, swap it into the one-past-last position for the appropriate partition, update the table of end-of-partition indexes. This places the first element of the following partition in the wrong location, swap that into position as well and update the partition indexes table, repeat until the last partition is updated. This should result in at most K-1 swaps for each element in the array.

(If all elements are unique/a separate partition, this obviously degenerates to a simple n^2 sort.)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FamDav posted:

What makes you think char is an unsigned type?
What makes you think that shrughes thinks char is an unsigned type?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

seiken posted:

It generally arises when the most efficient way to solve K > 2 is by decomposing it into subproblems where K=2 and solving those.

One example would be quicksort - sorting is essentially partitioning into K groups, where K = N. Quicksort works by partitioning with K=2, and then repeating the process on each partition until you get down to the individual elements.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

hooah posted:

The first getline does what I'd expect, but the second never accepts input. Why is that?

It's got the wrong method signature
code:
GETLINE(3)               Linux Programmer's Manual               GETLINE(3)

NAME
       getline, getdelim - delimited string input

SYNOPSIS
       #include <stdio.h>

ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream);
Sarcastic comments aside, I'm not so familiar with C++, assuming getline doesn't include the newline character (which you appear to assume, by checking that the returned string matches a non newline terminated string), it may not consume the newline from cin.

The C++ faq may help, though this part is using the shift operators instead of getline.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What makes you think that shrughes thinks char is an unsigned type?

Only shrughes can settle this burning debate!

It's got the wrong method signature
code:
GETLINE(3)               Linux Programmer's Manual               GETLINE(3)

NAME
       getline, getdelim - delimited string input

SYNOPSIS
       #include <stdio.h>

ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream);

Wrong getline.

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/getline/

It does consume the delimiter, FWIW. (I'm not sure what's wrong with the code at first glance.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Subjunctive posted:

Actually, the index type in C++ is ptrdiff_t (13.6.13). :science: