Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

When is buying a vest during the pistol round viable? I can see it going either way because

1)It would be terrible because no one has a helmet and everyone is just trying for headshots anyways

2)It would be amazing because few/no people have armor penetration so you can shrug off a few more bodyshots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Soviet_Russia posted:

When is buying a vest during the pistol round viable? I can see it going either way because

1)It would be terrible because no one has a helmet and everyone is just trying for headshots anyways

2)It would be amazing because few/no people have armor penetration so you can shrug off a few more bodyshots

The biggest advantage is that it significantly reduces aim punch which can make a big difference in the pistol round. It's pretty non-viable as CT but I'll do it fairly often as T.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Against bad players who can't get headshots, get armor. Against good players who will always 1click you, buy something else. For T side, buy nothing, then go back and buy a mac10 after getting a kill.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Here's a good example of why a some kevlar buys as T is not so bad.

Consider a simple dust2 A-split. Two players get kevlar, the rest get flashes and smokes. 3 long, 2 short. One kevlar goes short, the other long. Teammates with flashes flash in the kevlar player, then run in behind.

Unless the defending CTs hit their headshots, the first player will sponge a ton of bullets whether they die or not, hopefully meaning at worst a 2 for 2 trade which is an advantage for the T side.

I would never condone having 3 kevlar buys on T except in a full on 5 man B rush and even then I don't like it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Necc0 posted:

The biggest advantage is that it significantly reduces aim punch which can make a big difference in the pistol round. It's pretty non-viable as CT but I'll do it fairly often as T.

As CT i'm guessing you should always have defuse kits available, but does everyone buy them? One for each bombsite? What do the other 3 guys buy?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

For T side, buy nothing, then go back and buy a mac10 after getting a kill.

I try this basically every pistol round in matchmaking, since they left the buy time set at 45 seconds.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Soviet_Russia posted:

As CT i'm guessing you should always have defuse kits available, but does everyone buy them? One for each bombsite? What do the other 3 guys buy?

1 per site on pistol rounds is best, always buy it when you can on normal rounds.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Soviet_Russia posted:

You should always have one kit per site* and if you're one of the ones with the lot and die, be sure to tell your surviving teammates where you dropped it. The other three players it will come down to personal preference. Some prefer buying a full set of nades while others (like myself) will go for the five-seven plus a grenade. What grenade depending on what position I'm playing.

*You may be able to get away with a single kit on fast rotate maps like nuke or train, I dunno. Your team would have to be very aware to pull it off.

Mr Tumbles
Jan 14, 2013

Stumbletron posted:

I went looking for one a while ago and couldn't find any in Australia :(

I'll try again tonight because it seems like those settings would discourage 20 AWPs camping every line on the map which is a big part of my problem with deathmatch right now

119.252.190.65:27148

Here's another Australian HS-only server. With a player cap of 16 the action's pretty good, gives you a good chance to practise your anti-awper tactics.

I also added Boondie, I'm on as Squidgy. Real surprised to see there aren't more ausgoons who play CSGO, feel free to add me.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've seen lots of great advice here, but I've never seen an AWPing for morons guide. My CS group all made it to Nova 2 at the same time, and now it is really hurting us that nobody know how to use an AWP. I think that I'm going to become our AWPer just because I hate it the least.

So far I am passable at extreme range with it, and at point blank because I am OK with a pistol and buy a 5-7 or P250 whenever I'll be using an AWP, but I'm terrible at midrange. I've never really watched a good AWPer, but I know that my team falls apart playing with or against them.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You don't need an awp on your team to win. If you are all terrible at it than just don't buy one because you are throwing your money away. If your team is getting picked a lot by an opposing awp you should be throwing more smokes and flashes.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

astr0man posted:

You don't need an awp on your team to win. If you are all terrible at it than just don't buy one because you are throwing your money away. If your team is getting picked a lot by an opposing awp you should be throwing more smokes and flashes.

Yeah, but then you'll never improve. Go play on a DM server and use an AWP, that will get you good practice for basically all ranges. You need to use it in real games a lot before you get good at mid/long range 1v1s, it's just a matter of experience.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

Twerk from Home posted:

I've seen lots of great advice here, but I've never seen an AWPing for morons guide.

Your own positioning and predicting player movement is key. Get a feel for it at various ranges by playing/dming a lot and in time you'll develop the confidence and reactions for playing up close

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 9, 2014

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
To start out with the awp, I'd try to avoid direct fights with other awpers(unless they are terrible/worse than you). For example, instead of trying to pick T spawn from CT mid on D2, just watch cat.

Nothing makes awping more unfun than when the enemy awper can pick you every time.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

a slime posted:

Yeah, but then you'll never improve. Go play on a DM server and use an AWP, that will get you good practice for basically all ranges. You need to use it in real games a lot before you get good at mid/long range 1v1s, it's just a matter of experience.
I'm actually surprised to see someone else say this. Most people I've seen/spoken to think AWPing in Deathmatch is worthless, but for me personally it sped my AWP up considerably. I'm not great at long scoping corners, my reaction time is dreadful, but all the AWPing I've done in deathmatch has made me a lot better at quick scopes, fast scopes and it has even improved my long scoping at angles.

The best part about deathmatch in GO, especially with an AWP, is there are different levels you can use to get better and better with an AWP (or really any weapon).

Start with some Valve Deathmatch until you're used to the basics against bad players.
Then go to a Community Team Deathmatch against some more high skilled players, but still shooting at one team.
Then go to a Free For All Community Deathmatch, when you're using an AWP you'll die a lot here, because you can fire only so fast when guys are popping up all around you, but the kills you DO get have to be very quick, so it helps.
(For AK and M4, not so much for AWP, but there's the one tier more of playing Headshot Only DM either to really work on your aim.)

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I'd recommend you sit down and play headshot only DM with your awp until you hit 100 kills. It's really the only way.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

I'm not sure how long he'll be doing it, but cadiaN who was providing analysis during Katowice is going over some "map strategy" right now for Nuke. He might jump into matches soon, but get it while you can!

https://www.twitch.tv/cadianuz

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

kcer posted:

I'd recommend you sit down and play headshot only DM with your awp until you hit 100 kills. It's really the only way.

Why would you ever headshot DM with an AWP? That would completely gently caress up my snapshots, you should be training yourself to snap for the body

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

If you're not aiming for 400 dmg per shot then lol.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

RadioPassive posted:

I try this basically every pistol round in matchmaking, since they left the buy time set at 45 seconds.

I want to start 5manning on dust2 in MM, doing around-the-world with nobody buying, hopefully being able to pick up at least 2 mac10's by the 3rd lap.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

a slime posted:

Why would you ever headshot DM with an AWP? That would completely gently caress up my snapshots, you should be training yourself to snap for the body

Of all people Id expect you to be pro, slime, I'm disappointed

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'm going to make a mod that only registers 360 no-scope headshots. #goml

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
12-3 to HR 1st half, 13-2 to NiP 2nd half.

That's a pretty good comeback imho.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
NiP just came back and won Hellraisers 16-14 after losing the CT side of Inferno 3-12. :psyduck:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Smol posted:

NiP just came back and won Hellraisers 16-14 after losing the CT side of Inferno 3-12. :psyduck:

I posted about this exact phenomenon a page or two back. It isn't bullshit, it is a real thing how statistically deviant half scores between evenly matched teams will very often mirror after team switch, despite that making no sense from a purely objective perspective. After all, the CT half hasn't got any less advantageous.

astr0man posted:

I know this isn't exactly what you're saying, but a good AWP player is really the most important difference maker in CS. I say that as somebody who is just a regular ol' rifler. A dominant AWPer is just so much more useful than a rifle player, pound for pound, because they can afford you serious map control over mid and are far, far more likely to be able to score picks on enemy players without getting counter-picked.

A team will be seriously hamstringed without an AWPer. Situations are relatively few and far between that not buying AWPs is a good idea - tight economy, having a specific map strategy, the other team isn't buying AWPs for whatever reason.

edit: as a counterpoint to myself, teams like NiP and HR have come to use AWPs far less than previously. I generally attribute this to the fact that Fifflaren and markeloff were losing AWP duels with top AWPers like Guardian, KQLY, jw, SmithZz, KennyS too often for it to be worthwhile. On the flipside, you see them picking up autosnipers with far greater frequency than before, as a counter-measure.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 9, 2014

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Jeza posted:

A team will be seriously hamstringed without an AWPer. Situations are relatively few and far between that not buying AWPs is a good idea - tight economy, having a specific map strategy, the other team isn't buying AWPs for whatever reason.

There are a lot of teams that hardly buy AWPs unless they have someone extraordinary with it or can afford to lose it. It's been nerfed so much in GO and smokes have been buffed it really pays to just run with 5 rifles. Sure you'll see them around but they're hardly key to a team like they were in 1.6 and presumably Source(lol).

e: didn't see your edit!

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Jeza posted:

I know this isn't exactly what you're saying, but a good AWP player is really the most important difference maker in CS. I say that as somebody who is just a regular ol' rifler. A dominant AWPer is just so much more useful than a rifle player, pound for pound, because they can afford you serious map control over mid and are far, far more likely to be able to score picks on enemy players without getting counter-picked.

edit: as a counterpoint to myself, teams like NiP and HR have come to use AWPs far less than previously. I generally attribute this to the fact that Fifflaren and markeloff were losing AWP duels with top AWPers like Guardian, KQLY, jw, SmithZz, KennyS too often for it to be worthwhile. On the flipside, you see them picking up autosnipers with far greater frequency than before, as a counter-measure.
I think it's more that, kind of like mcvey said, it's a very situational thing in GO compared to 1.6. In 1.6, you'd be right, not having an AWP could really hurt a team. But in GO, it really depends on the map, the position, things like that. In GO, you'll have situations where players buy an AWP purely because of the spot they spawn in, if they're closer to Z on train for example, one might grab an AWP to try and get that fast pick. In the MM/Pug level though, there's rarely a situation where you're going to significantly hurt yourself by not having an AWPer on your team. Good use of flashes and smokes and even good AWPers can be neutralized pretty significantly.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Jeza posted:

It definitely depends on what skill level you are at though. In the nova range, awps really don't dominate as much as they do in the higher ranks. There is a lot more missing and getting picked by AKs.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
What hurts the AWP most is the noscope/quickscope delay. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with, and makes moving around the map and retaking sites a pain in the rear end.

If you ever see me do weird poo poo like move around the map scoped or run around with a p250 instead, that's why.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Apogee15 posted:

It definitely depends on what skill level you are at though. In the nova range, awps really don't dominate as much as they do in the higher ranks. There is a lot more missing and getting picked by AKs.

For sure, the lower the rank the more of a double edged sword the AWP becomes. Don't get me started on people on MM who are ecoing every second round to get AWPs only to miss every shot and die. Rinse and repeat.

I think my original post was a roundabout way of saying, if you've never tried AWPing, have a go. You might like it, and being good at it is a rarer breed of player and very useful for a team. Every player should at least practice doorbangs as T on d2.

If I've got the cash I'll even pick up an AWP with a good B spawn (like Cole says) to get the pick on a player jumping up behind bigbox in B. Seriously great place to pick.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Daeno posted:

What hurts the AWP most is the noscope/quickscope delay. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with, and makes moving around the map and retaking sites a pain in the rear end.

If you ever see me do weird poo poo like move around the map scoped or run around with a p250 instead, that's why.

I do think the scoping in csgo is pretty annoying and frustrating to deal with(scoping in css was so clean and nice), but I DEFINITELY like how it acts as a bit of a awp nerf.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Thanks for all the feedback. We have 2 or 3 people who like autosnipers, but they tend to lose duels with AWPs. The autosniper people aren't great with AWPs, but usually we have the opportunity to steal them and I feel like we should use them.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
If you want to be the dedicated AWP guy on your team then you will be expected to win the AWP duel. Not every time, but on CT if you get picked two times it's time to give it up that particular game. So, you should be good at peeking.

If you are winning the AWP duel then life gets a lot easier for your team. You can start to bully the other team with the AWP.

I would prioritize peeking over running around in DM noscoping fools.

And I wouldn't get into it if you are one of these players who rages out. You have to be cool and confident to peek AWPS with AWPS. And to roll with the punches when 10 seconds into the round you die and put your team at a disadvantage (which will happen a lot.)

This is not the only use of the AWP. Some people are really good at using it in the mid-game. I'm not, and your best rifle players may even be better than you with that. However, for the 'map control' thing you have to win AWP peek duels. Your job is to dominate part of the map. When you have established dominance there, your rifle guys can have their way.

Like, if CT just gives up outside on nuke, the entire map is yours.

edit- And pray this prayer after every win: "Hey, can you pick up my AWP?"

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 9, 2014

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Since we're on the subject of FPS doug and myg0t and dancing baby and Cindy Margolis

FMPONE
Feb 14, 2013

Level Designer Dude
Hey guys, been a little while coming, but Part 3 of Building Crown is live now on PC GAMER :) You can read it here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/09/building-crown-part-3-collaborating-with-the-counter-strike-community/

if you haven't already, PLEASE show your support on the workshop :D

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Link to Crown on the workshop:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=239672577

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Topical AWPchat:

http://www.twitch.tv/NiPgamingTV

mousesports vs Clan Mystik

or;

ChrisJ vs KennyS

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I never buy AWPs but I do alright when I pick up a dropped one in MM.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Crown is nice. I hope it'll get a spot alongside regularly played custom maps like Cache, Mill and Mirage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Is anyone else suddenly getting a ton of Overwatch cases? I only got my first one a few days back, and I've gotten over a dozen today. Weird.

• Locked thread