Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

This comic pisses me off more than most of the other ones posted here like Nancy and Mike du Jour. It's a really cool setting, and the art is eye-catching at first. The static poses, the creepy broken necks and vapid stares, the nonsensical story and bizarre pacing, the stupid attempts at being edgy like HARV the Super Mario sprite - it adds up to being a lot of wasted potential and has a smug "wink at the reader" air about it. I at least don't expect much from Gilchrist or Lester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Winnie the Pooh

It won't last.

Piglet's slow decent into Libertarianism.

Rabbit and Owl are wasted on these chuckleheads.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Comics (March 21st 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Edits Basically Mandated by the Internet Comic

Winnie the Pooh-Pooh

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The dude had a storyline about the high school putting on a play and a bunch of fucker idiot philistines protested because it was too sad and had so much tragedy and were too dumb to appreciate how good it was. Then, one of the characters went to bat for it because it's true art and represents real life, man. And then everyone realized that actually the play was good as hell. It was so transparent that the whole storyline was just Batiuk jerking himself off about how great his story is and how everyone saying that tragedy doesn't inherently make a story deep or interesting is wrong and dumb that it made me want to hurl. Does anyone remember this/have a link to it?

I remember that storyline. The play in question was Wit, which is about cancer (naturally). I've read that play and it's pretty great. It's also a goddamn terrible choice for a high school production. I don't care how talented the kids are. The bulk of the play is about one woman and how she deals with the cancer that steadily strips her of all the strength and dignity she once prided herself in. You can't showcase/fund a high school drama program with that. Nobody's parents are going to pay to see somebody else's kid depress them for two hours.

Luann

Somehow I don't think that story will be appropriate for children.

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Wow, Luann can go gently caress herself.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Thanks Internet posted:

Oh no. You know what this means, right?

backstory
Oh gently caress, you're right. I think we're about to find out what could possibly be worse than Sluggo's backstory (with the VIET NAM VET 'uncles' and the stealth not-really-charity sneaking food into his lovely broken-down house). :(

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Errm, while I see his point, you also don't have to let them be hand raised? One of the local vets here takes in various wild animals all the time. There is a herd of deer in the woods behind their house. His wife takes care of the fawn, and usually one of the does will adopt it after a short while.

...except for the most recently one. Which is a male. Yeaaah, I just don't see how this won't cause problems here in a couple years.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

In a move that will come as a surprise to absofuckinglutely no one, Phil will take Nancy to the father-daughter picnic.
I was kind of hoping for the VIET NAM VETs to take her, but I guess they'll probably be taking Sluggo.

F Minus

Mary Worth

drat she's pissed. I do like that she noted he'd pick up the check though.

Rex Morgan MD

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Midnight Moth posted:

Wow, Luann can go gently caress herself.

The more you read this comic, the more you realise that Tiffany is basically the only likeable character.

Invisible Bread

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Johnny Walker posted:

I was kind of hoping for the VIET NAM VETs to take her, but I guess they'll probably be taking Sluggo.

They can't, it's a Father Daughter Picnic!! Fathers and Daughters only.

Which a school would never host because it'd be exclusionary and it'd be a family picnic instead :colbert:. Yes, that's what's bothering me most about the stupid drat comic.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Imagine how pissed she would have been if he'd suggested she should get off her own lazy rear end and look for a job like any normal adult would who's struggling to live off savings while not having a job.

Yes, I am still wtf-ing about that.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

They can't, it's a Father Daughter Picnic!! Fathers and Daughters only.

Which a school would never host because it'd be exclusionary and it'd be a family picnic instead :colbert:. Yes, that's what's bothering me most about the stupid drat comic.

You're forgetting that Nancy takes place in the 1950s effectively, in a world before PEE CEE GONE MAD or what have you. Come to think of it I don't know if I've ever seen a black person in Gilchrist's comic.

I'd bet Nancy's dad was a VIET NAM VET, though even Gilchrist might think this is a stretch given the timeline....maybe to mix things up he'll be an AFG-HAN-ISTAN VET. I'm picturing some guy wearing the hat while crying in heaven or whatever the gently caress.

Speaking of terrible comics, the latest "my father, John Darling, the TV personality" plot in Funky just makes me think of the last we saw of that plot, where Darrin's date-rapist dad showed up and tried to make a reality show, and somehow everyone just stood around in a room and literally went "there is absolutely no way we can conceive of preventing him from doing this." That was terrible even by Funky standards.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 9, 2014

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

This is a real thing in Asia. Most of the toilets in my office in China have big signs that say "Please do not stand on the toilet seats" and no one seems to be able to read them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The speed of sound is very roughly six times the terminal velocity of a human body. I think it's gonna be fine, especially considering Spider-Man has apparently been suspended in mid-air for the past four strips.

grading essays nude posted:

Come to think of it I don't know if I've ever seen a black person in Gilchrist's comic.
Black persons, Asians, Native Americans, they all show up when Gilchrist does one of those "we're all one big family" strips and unironically depicts them holding hands around the globe. And only then.

I'd honestly have preferred the bullying storyline.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Retail

1. Why didn't the other employees tell him the store was closed?

2. What's the point of adding a new character if he's just going to act exactly like any of the other existing characters? You could literally have Marla, Val, Cooper or Amber stand in and deliver Arthur's lines with the exact same body language here and it wouldn't be out of place. If any of them had been promoted to Assistant Manager instead the result would be the same as what we got. For that matter the generic customers pretty much act the same too.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

I thought Karl hated cleaning messes with how much he loses his poo poo when Skip or Refurb make one.

Dustin

Steve Kelley must really care a lot about food with how many food-related gags he's been writing lately.

On the Fastrack

They're both jerks here. Dethany's being really paternalistic and involved but Fi's an rear end in a top hat for snubbing a $50 birthday present.

Safe Havens

Why didn't you bring a camera? I mean how kickass would that be to get a few shots of that?

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 9, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Why didn't you bring a camera? I mean how kickass would that be to get a few shots of that?

She's an rear end in a top hat. See: Every other thing she's done, ever.

Though I did just notice that, while her tail seems to be real, she has a pink plastic fin strapped to her back. What is that besides apparently a way of talking with her perpetually-twelve boyfriend?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Midnight Moth posted:

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

I thought Karl hated cleaning messes with how much he loses his poo poo when Skip or Refurb make one.

He does hate them, but it's also what he's made for. So when he cleans messes he feels fulfilled, and he needs messes to feel fulfilled, but when he sees them, he hates them.

It really is a vicious cycle.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Holy loving poo poo

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I have never heard a teenager say "browse" or refer to themselves as a teenager. Also, why didn't he just say "Hey, we closed a while ago. We'd do it all the time at my past retail jobs."

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

:10bux: says he's wasted when she gets back to their apartment. :v:

Jane's World

Wait, she's back? Or, is this before she left? I don't know anymore.

Non Sequitur

Bleh.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban

Speaking of wasted. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 4/9/2003

Weird, and dumb, Brooke.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

:stonklol:

Christ, Holbrook... I just... I don't even know.

Nemi

:)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Discovers Physics ain't all it's cracked up to be.

The Creeps is evocative

Wumo isn't bad enough. I mean, it's bad, but it's not Holbrook bad. So, how about we pick up Candorville? Because let's face it, it's really truly terrible.

Candorville Cut and Paste with lame rear end jokes and a heavy speech impediment.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

What a zinger :smug:

Fok_It

Today, Finland celebrates Mikael Agricola's Day, also known as the Day of the Finnish Language. Agricola was a clergyman in the 1500s who wanted to translate the New Testament to Finnish. He ran into a problem: there was no standard literary Finnish yet. Like the determined smart dude that he was, he developed the standard on his own first, and wrote the first Finnish ABC book to complement it. Later he produced the first Finnish New Testament, coining a ton of new words (that are still used) in the process.

The airhook guy was Mikael Granlund in the world championship games 2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JazGHYDwp-s

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

Thanks for continuing to translate and post Chief Dharma! It's honestly one of my favorite strips in the thread.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Remember Monday's joke? Apparently Mike didn't.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

1. Why didn't the other employees tell him the store was closed?

2. What's the point of adding a new character if he's just going to act exactly like any of the other existing characters? You could literally have Marla, Val, Cooper or Amber stand in and deliver Arthur's lines with the exact same body language here and it wouldn't be out of place. If any of them had been promoted to Assistant Manager instead the result would be the same as what we got. For that matter the generic customers pretty much act the same too.

Frequently non-management isn't allowed to shoo people out of places.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

Wait, she's back? Or, is this before she left? I don't know anymore.
Who even is she? Jane's World is so confusing.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps is evocative

I would like to hear more about these detectives.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy is still in reruns. (January 19, 1927 (with the original January 14, 1926 date carefully blanked out, but you can't hide that 1-19-27 wasn't a Thursday.))

Peanuts (April 12, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Yeah, are we going to get daycare on the pathetic income we have working part-time at the pizza place that we live above?

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Punch him again, Rip.

Pogo, in which the IRS doesn't fool around, bubba. (April 11, 1956)

The question we don't dare ask: What income does Albert have that they can tax it, anyway?

Out Our Way (October 8-9, 1924)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

She is the woman who invaded Jane and whatshiscishetface's trailer and started making changes before Paige's adhd took over and went off on a couple more flashbacks, and then it turned out that she was abducted by aliens, which explains why the Nagging Comix stopped for a while.

Pooch Café

Everybody's acting super out of character in this arc. Chazz just got a good burn in, for crying out loud.

Ballard Street

Walter just made something with his own two hands and he is basking in the pride of creation, you harridan.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

The real crime is reading USA Today, am I right? :cool:

Calvin And Hobbes

Gary Wise and Lance Aldrich present Real Life Adventures, which has nothing on Pros And Cons.

Dave Whamond's Reality Check.

I might need someone to Red and Rover this one.

Oh, and here's Red And Rover.

Yeah, that's what kids think of when they think of pop!

v: Red's jeans situation is pretty anachronistic, then.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 9, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think Red & Rover is meant to be set in the past.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I would have sworn this was an edit, after all of the comments I had to check. Nope, not an edit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Jane's World is complete poo poo and I wish it wasn't being posted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Dave Whamond's Reality Check.

I might need someone to Red and Rover this one.

If someone in a show like Archer or Arrested Development said "This is why we can't have nice things." it would be funny. Dave Whamond thinks he knows why, but he doesn't.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Napoleon's last name was Bonaparte and Nero's (closest equivalent to a modern 'last name' in the hilariously overdone Roman naming system) was Claudius. :colbert: Cleopatra and Alexander, though, yeah.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Alexander and Cleopatra were both of their respective royal houses, and used the names of the places they ruled, as royalty often does.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fok_It ca. 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy