Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Eric Holder will never stop being my favorite Obama Cabinet member and possibly all-time favorite Cabinet member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Cheesus posted:

Boy, "The Civil War Was About States Rights, Not Slavery" is getting long in the tooth. How can we being new life to Southern righteousness, denigrate "big government", and bring religion into it?
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/jim-demint-asserts-federal-government-played-no-role-freeing-slaves

quote:

but the Constitution kept calling us back to ‘all men are created equal and we have inalienable rights’ in the minds of God
Boom, you just got trifectaed, America!

Why do so many Americans worship the constitution without even knowing what's in it? That line is from the Declaration of Independence and has no legal standing, this man was a goddamn senator.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also, does he realize the Constitution had to be changed to accomplish what he's talking about?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Samurai Sanders posted:

"All are expected to survive." That's the difference.

This didn't stop them from using that line when the Chinese guy attacked the nursery a while back. You're absolutely right but the gun nuts won't give it a second thought.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

haveblue posted:

Also, does he realize the Constitution had to be changed to accomplish what he's talking about?

Hmm, I thought there was something else that happened just prior to that, which made amending the Constitution possible. Big something, lasted for several years, in which the Federal government somehow...

Nope, can't think of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

Don't ever tell him about the Articles of Confederation, he'd eat that poo poo up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

fade5 posted:

What I'm trying to say is welcome to the Democratic party Mr. Crist, we're happy to have you.
I'll pinch my nose when I vote for him, basically for me it's Anyone But Rick Scott at this point.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Fried Chicken posted:

Senate Intelligence Committee released a cropped (480 pages out of 6600, the executive summary + 20 conclusions and lessons learned) report on the CIA's torture program. Lots of new details on the black sites and the methods.

I disagree with that article calling the Red Hot Chili Peppers torture. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are awesome :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khfv_5Dyb1k&feature=kp

Possible 9/11 reference put out by the Illuminati?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Your boy and mine, Steve Stockman wants to change the tax status of bitcoin from a commodity/property to a currency. He also was the first (?) "serious" candidate to accept bitcoins in his run for US Senate, just one of a number of highly effective strategies that allowed him to defeat John Cornyn in the primary in March.

As a personal aside, if you like watching libertarians completely delude themselves and be wrong about stuff and then be constantly kicked in the balls by reality, you cannot follow bitcoin enough.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought bitcoins effectively crashed and were worthless now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

Your boy and mine, Steve Stockman wants to change the tax status of bitcoin from a commodity/property to a currency. He also was the first (?) "serious" candidate to accept bitcoins in his run for US Senate, just one of a number of highly effective strategies that allowed him to defeat John Cornyn in the primary in March.

As a personal aside, if you like watching libertarians completely delude themselves and be wrong about stuff and then be constantly kicked in the balls by reality, you cannot follow bitcoin enough.

The Bitcoin thread is endless entertainment

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543334&perpage=40&pagenumber=1123

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Radish posted:

Last I heard, the FBI was the single largest holder of Bitcoins after busting SilkRoad. I hope buttcoiners enjoy their FBI-run crypto-currency.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

They are trading at around $450ish, and have lost more than 50% of their value since February.

https://www.bitcoinwisdom.com

I prefer the YOSPOS one.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Can't quite purge all of GBS 1.0 :smith:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radish posted:

they always are crashing and always were worthless.

but man are they catnip for libertarian wanna-be captains of industry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you click on the site I listed earlier you can see that the price of bitcoin for a time was identical, and I don't mean kind of similar, I mean identical to the graph above.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
http://www.beepboopbitcoin.com/

A fun game.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

They are trading at around $450ish, and have lost more than 50% of their value since February.

https://www.bitcoinwisdom.com

I prefer the YOSPOS one.

YOSPOS and the Awful app don't play well together

"Thread list parsing failed; could not find thread id. Error code (-1002)"

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 9, 2014

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

RE: Asparagus Chat

It may be the case that Gohmert was actually going for a deep cut reference, and didn't just word vomit it out.

Of course, this is courtesy of Glenn Beck and The Blaze, so you can determine for yourself whether this is just Gohmert attempting to backfill or whether he's telling the truth.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

YOSPOS and the Awful app don't play well together

"Thread list parsing failed; could not find thread id. Error code (-1002)"

That's the entire forums for me right now. Sounds like its a problem with the Awful app when there is a forum announcement present.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Has Ben Stein ever been poor a day in his goddamn life? Has he ever, even once, had to decide between a meal and medication or gasoline or car repairs or school supplies for his son or the utilities bill or rent?

Because if not, he can gently caress right off with his stupid ignorant opinions. He'd still be an idiot shitheel for how bad those opinions are if he had first hand experience with poverty, but his ignorance is goddamn breathtaking. Hurry up and become obscure you chucklefuck. :wrongful:

Phone posted:

I'm an advocate for open carry knives.

*he unsheathed his Hanzo steel*

E:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

Has Ben Stein ever been poor a day in his goddamn life? Has he ever, even once, had to decide between a meal and medication or gasoline or car repairs or school supplies for his son or the utilities bill or rent?

Because if not, he can gently caress right off with his stupid ignorant opinions. He'd still be an idiot shitheel for how bad those opinions are if he had first hand experience with poverty, but his ignorance is goddamn breathtaking. Hurry up and become obscure you chucklefuck. :wrongful:
Um, he used to give all his money away to poors with the help of jimmy kimmel, remember?

quote:

The real ridiculous part is that for wanting to show off his "amazing blade skills" he completely hosed up the motion on that wave cut

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Guy may be nerdy as all gently caress, but I have to admit he looks like he's having fun.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Boy, "The Civil War Was About States Rights, Not Slavery" is getting long in the tooth. How can we being new life to Southern righteousness, denigrate "big government", and bring religion into it?
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/jim-demint-asserts-federal-government-played-no-role-freeing-slaves

So let me get this straight.

The 13th/14th Amendment AND the Emancipation Proclamation, two constitutional amendments and a Presidential executive order, were not an example of government enforcing positive social change?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zoux posted:

If you click on the site I listed earlier you can see that the price of bitcoin for a time was identical, and I don't mean kind of similar, I mean identical to the graph above.

I actually thought this WAS a graph of the price of bitcoin. What was it actually made for?

Alkydere posted:

Guy may be nerdy as all gently caress, but I have to admit he looks like he's having fun.

Yeah, if I had more money than I knew what to do with I might end up buying a giant sword and a bunch of poo poo to cut with it just for fun; I just wouldn't film myself using it or write a ridiculous book about it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

loquacius posted:

I actually thought this WAS a graph of the price of bitcoin. What was it actually made for?

It's a archetypal pattern for a financial bubble.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

It's the classic price curve of a bubble commodity.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Alter Ego posted:

So let me get this straight.

The 13th/14th Amendment AND the Emancipation Proclamation, two constitutional amendments and a Presidential executive order, were not an example of government enforcing positive social change?

Of course not. Those are examples of federal nanny stating. Don't remember all the damage that was done to the rich, white slave holders captains of industry during reconstruction. No? Well now we see who the real racists are :smug:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Crain posted:

Of course not. Those are examples of federal nanny stating. Don't remember all the damage that was done to the rich, white slave holders captains of industry during reconstruction. No? Well now we see who the real racists are.

Checkmate, libs. :smug:

Fixed that for you.

Moritastic
Oct 25, 2005

I don't wanna explode!

Mo_Steel posted:

I think this is the most telling quote for both Ben Stein and American class relations in general:

“We want for there to be a high number of rich people who function as a brake on government just as the nobles did on the crown in long ago England,” he said.

All hail the American aristocracy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Whiskey Sours posted:

Why do so many Americans worship the constitution without even knowing what's in it? That line is from the Declaration of Independence and has no legal standing, this man was a goddamn senator.
See also: the Bible.

Because reading is hard. :downs:

edited because formatting fuckup

edit 2:

Man, the new Dark Souls really sucks.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 9, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SedanChair posted:

I wasn't saying that Clinton wasn't completely justified, and the "wag-the-dog" accusation unfounded. But Gore didn't want to be associated with his boss at that point. Now I'm sure that he'd have consulted Clinton extensively once in office, but to what end? Finding and killing bin Laden? How exactly do you imagine terror networks are organized? What about KSM? Zawahiri? Are you saying they could have gotten them all? Quick enough to stop it filtering down to Atta? All they knew was that they were determined to strike. Of course they're determined to strike, they're al-Qaeda!

Oh but Gore could have found bin Laden, and stopped 9/11. Please.

I didn't say any of that. I pointed out that you posted with certainty that if OBL had been taken out when Clinton wanted to that it wouldn't have prevented 9/11. It may have. It may not have. Or it may have at least postponed it, lessened the impact (by way of a lesser attack) or even diverted it to a different city or country.

I don't know all that much about how terrorist networks are organized but I know a little and I know if you chop off the head, disrupt the organization and choke the money supply you can definitely slow them down and also that by taking them seriously, as Bush did not, you can at least keep your eye on the ball and know what they're planning. Bush straight up blew off anyone who tried to tell him "here's what we've got and what we're worried about. You might want to keep an eye on this thing."

SedanChair posted:

I can start a "The Rehabilitation of Dubya" thread when I get off work if that makes sense.

You could also elaborate on this unless it was a joke in which case "whoosh" on my part.

Gore distanced himself from Clinton because every time Bill's name was brought up, there were snickers about interns and cocksucking and it was hard to take him seriously as a result, not due to his foreign policy for crying out loud. I'm reasonably certain he'd have continued the work done by the previous administration and really seriously doubt that Iraq would have come up at all.

I shouldn't have to be the guy on the internet that has to document/link the hundreds of ways Bush ignored Clinton/Gore/Clark and their warnings about this motherfucker Bin Laden and what he was trying to do.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Osama Bin Laden was a major financer so taking him out early might have helped.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Whiskey Sours posted:

Once again The Onion proves that reality is beyond satire.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

So if you haven't read Capital in the 21st Century yet you aren't alone. But here is a good summary of it

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/8/5592198/the-short-guide-to-capital-in-the-21st-century

I actually just bought that book based on this summary, it looks pretty decent so far.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Moritastic posted:

I think this is the most telling quote for both Ben Stein and American class relations in general:

“We want for there to be a high number of rich people who function as a brake on government just as the nobles did on the crown in long ago England,” he said.

All hail the American aristocracy.

Good loving christ. He is actually white knighting the nobility. What next, the Magna Carta was a commumist document? And the rich wonder why they are vilified and becoming more and more isolated from the general population. Keep saying everyone is jealous when their wages have barely grown in a half century and the richest people's profits have gone up 3000% or so. Let me know how that works out. Maybe keep insulting several hundred million Americans and they will finally appreciate you then.

The rich really do yearn for those long ago days, don't they? No worker rights, even more corruption in government, able to pollute and poison without the pesky EPA and the poors knew their place. Eat the loving rich indeed.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Dapper Dan posted:

Good loving christ. He is actually white knighting the nobility. What next, the Magna Carta was a commumist document? And the rich wonder why they are vilified and becoming more and more isolated from the general population. Keep saying everyone is jealous when their wages have barely grown in a half century and the richest people's profits have gone up 3000% or so. Let me know how that works out. Maybe keep insulting several hundred million Americans and they will finally appreciate you then.

The rich really do yearn for those long ago days, don't they? No worker rights, even more corruption in government, able to pollute and poison without the pesky EPA and the poors knew their place. Eat the loving rich indeed.

Prima Nocta is just a step away...Ben Stein is totally gonna get some virgin pussy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I especially like the part where rich people fighting the government legally is a check on tyranny. I'd love to know which court cases they've been fighting that increased my freedom as opposed to limiting it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Radish posted:

I especially like the part where rich people fighting the government legally is a check on tyranny. I'd love to know which court cases they've been fighting that increased my freedom as opposed to limiting it.

Remember, according to conservative ideology anything that provides the rich with more money conveniently gives you more freedom somehow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

loquacius posted:

Remember, according to conservative ideology anything that provides the rich with more money conveniently gives you more freedom somehow!

Trickle down freedoms.

• Locked thread