Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Acetylene is one of those materials that is not to be hosed around with, not far from me(at the time) this occurred http://www.news.com.au/national/man-suffers-critical-injuries-after-van-explodes-in-mulgrave/story-e6frfkvr-1226219643781 I got called out in the aftermath to refit all the locks to the doors and windows facing the scene because the houses had shifted with the force of the explosion. I went back 18 months later to make keys to a car nearby and the scorch marks were still evident on the concrete and nearest house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMoPlPqeToM

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

I have performed this recall. No spiders were found. Maybe if 13" did it they would come out of the wood work. But all the other guys at work have seen one or two spiders since 2007-9 when they started with these. When they found the spiders they were dead.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I will never buy a loving Mazda.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mazdas are kind of like Japanese Italian cars.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

some texas redneck posted:

gently caress all of that. If I knew there was leaking acetylene, I'd be calling the professionals (911) while running as fast as I could.

Keyless entry could still cause a spark in the door lock solenoids, or the relays for the parking lights. So could opening the garage door (electric door opener; pulling the emergency release could possibly be safe, but walking past the optical sensors at the base of the door causes an audible "click" in the door opener head). For that matter, the power flickering for a split second could cause a spark in my garage - the power supply for the fiber terminal is in the garage, with a built in UPS (with a relay to switch to the 12V battery, I'm sure that relay isn't rated for class 1 explosion locations).

This happened to a friend of mine.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/plumber-s-car-explodes-near-vancouver-apartments-1.1350088

He had the tank in the trunk and when he used remote unlock... kaBOOM. Was lucky nobody was near it or died.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

This is why any logical welding gas place won't let you take cylinders (including inert gas) in an enclosed vehicle.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

N is for Nipples posted:

This is why any logical welding gas place won't let you take cylinders (including inert gas) in an enclosed vehicle.

I usually put my #2 75/25 tank in the front seat.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

nmfree posted:

A whole lot worse, indeed.

Quoting myself from the Trucker Thread:

I get nervous driving a couple of miles with the propane tank from my BBQ riding in the hatch of the girlfriend's Prius. How someone could leave explosive gases in their car for any length of time boggles my mind.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've been researching building my own campervan and the ignorance of basic gas safety I've witnessed is astounding. Basic safety practice is to have the tank mounted externally to the habitable area, with no high pressure piping inside the vehicle, easily accessible master off tap, with drop outs under every pipe join/manifold.

My favourite was a bloke that permanently installed a 60l lpg track under the bunks for his children. The fill point was inside the vehicle behind a hatch, there were no drop outs because he'd "lose valuable heat" and he'd joined several short scrap lengths of piping rather than spend $5 on a new length.

Also, his master cutoff was a brake pipe clamp tool on the low side.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Cakefool posted:

I've been researching building my own campervan and the ignorance of basic gas safety I've witnessed is astounding. Basic safety practice is to have the tank mounted externally to the habitable area, with no high pressure piping inside the vehicle, easily accessible master off tap, with drop outs under every pipe join/manifold.

My favourite was a bloke that permanently installed a 60l lpg track under the bunks for his children. The fill point was inside the vehicle behind a hatch, there were no drop outs because he'd "lose valuable heat" and he'd joined several short scrap lengths of piping rather than spend $5 on a new length.

Also, his master cutoff was a brake pipe clamp tool on the low side.

I guess you can still win the darwin awards if you kill all your progeny as well as you in a horrific accident.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I make a couple bucks and gas pretty frequently ferrying gas canisters in my truck because all the supply joints around here don't allow you to leave with canisters in an enclosed vehicle.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

A Melted Tarp posted:

I get nervous driving a couple of miles with the propane tank from my BBQ riding in the hatch of the girlfriend's Prius. How someone could leave explosive gases in their car for any length of time boggles my mind.

My car runs on LPG. I have about 20 gallons of propane/butane in the back of my car at all times. Then I pipe into my hot engine bay, heat it with coolant, and spray it into my inlet manifold.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

My car runs on LPG. I have about 20 gallons of propane/butane in the back of my car at all times. Then I pipe into my hot engine bay, heat it with coolant, and spray it into my inlet manifold.

The 20 gallons of propane/butane in the back of your car is in a tank that's been hardmounted to the exterior of the car, with properly-run and secured plumbing all the way up to the intake manifold. Said tank is also designed to withstand the kind of impacts that a car might see in a crash. A leak anywhere other than perhaps under the hood itself is more likely to dissipate than ignite.

Huge difference between that and carrying an at-best tied-down propane can with a valve that can easily be broken off by impact (or could be leaking), in an enclosed passenger space.

And if anything in that first statement isn't true, then we might be seeing your car in this thread sooner or later :v:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Haha, my install is all legit, hopefully I'll be explosion free for years to come :D

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

atomicthumbs posted:

He had already opened the door, started the car, and driven it into the driveway when it blew, so in his case instead of starting the car I'd open the hood, unplug the battery (presumably the acetylene wouldn't have floated out of the car and into the engine compartment by then), and then push it out.

If you somehow know it's filled with acetylene when it's still shut, you could always open the garage door and pry the car windows open.

This is why you aren't supposed to transport in an enclosed vehicle, and most places around me won't allow you to leave unless you at least have a valve cover on all your tanks.

75/25 won't burn (that's kinda the whole point), but it'll asphyxiate you and you'll never notice till it's too late and you're dead and have crashed into a schoolbus full of nuns.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So I should put it on the roof rack?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
When I have to haul cylinders in the crapcan I just make sure the valves are closed, put the valve caps on (the big metal ones that screw on over the whole valve), strap them down in the cargo area, and run with a few windows open. Legal/allowed by the company I refill at? Maybe, not sure. Safe? As safe as you can be with a 50lb chunk of metal strapped down in the cargo area of an SUV.

Make sure they're secured drat well, remember that a collision can easily be upwards of 10G deceleration. A 75lb acetylene cylinder becomes 750lbs at that rate... and that's just where things start, basically, a 30mph crash into a tree where the nose of the car caves in around 1 foot with a stretchable seatbelt will give the occupants an easy 20G (in other words, everyday highway accidents are going to be in the 20-30G range, easily) deceleration. Cargo will see much worse than that.

A gas cylinder flying around in the passenger compartment during a collision is going to turn you into a bag of broken bones in a loving hurry. So either use a pickup, put it on the roofrack (and risk ugly results if it flies into the car in front of you in a collision, I can only imagine what a lawyer would do with that), or strap that poo poo down really, really well.

Oh, and there are rules about transporting acetylene cylinders in particular because the gas is stored dissolved in acetone solution. If they are shaken/disturbed/transported in any position except vertical, they must be left alone stored vertical for several hours to let the acetone drain away from the gas outlet.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Has this been posted yet?
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242662

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Well, I puckered. Compressor tanks have always scared me anyway...

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I think I'm going to replace my 20-30 year old compressor I picked up off the end of someones driveway a few years ago with something "newer" this spring/summer. gently caress.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I like walking up to an unfamiliar compressor with a pressurized tank, hitting the bleed valve, and getting not just a solid stream of water, but a solid stream of RUSTY water.

It inspires confidence.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

N is for Nipples posted:

When I was 15, I raced karts, and we had purchased an 80cu.ft tank on eBay to start using nitrogen instead of air in the kart tires. While I was at school, my dad stopped by the welding supply store with our tank (we had bought a green tank) and asked them to exchange it for a full bottle of nitrogen. He loaded it into the back of our Suburban and drove the truck home, then took a different car to work.

When I got home from school, I went to get the tank out of the Suburban, but I noticed that there was an "OXYGEN" label on the tank. I told my dad, and he said he would call them to see how late they were open.

:v: Hi, I was accidentally given a bottle of Oxygen instead of a bottle of Nitrogen today, it was a mixup since the tank I dropped off was green and not orange.
:stonk: ...uhhhh
:v: I wanted to stop by and exchange the bottle, how late are you open?
:stonk: ...we'll come and get it. Where exactly do you live?"

They sent a truck to the house that night to get it. It didn't really dawn on either of us how big an explosion that would have created until it was already gone.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Savington posted:

When I was 15, I raced karts, and we had purchased an 80cu.ft tank on eBay to start using nitrogen instead of air in the kart tires. While I was at school, my dad stopped by the welding supply store with our tank (we had bought a green tank) and asked them to exchange it for a full bottle of nitrogen. He loaded it into the back of our Suburban and drove the truck home, then took a different car to work.

When I got home from school, I went to get the tank out of the Suburban, but I noticed that there was an "OXYGEN" label on the tank. I told my dad, and he said he would call them to see how late they were open.

:v: Hi, I was accidentally given a bottle of Oxygen instead of a bottle of Nitrogen today, it was a mixup since the tank I dropped off was green and not orange.
:stonk: ...uhhhh
:v: I wanted to stop by and exchange the bottle, how late are you open?
:stonk: ...we'll come and get it. Where exactly do you live?"

They sent a truck to the house that night to get it. It didn't really dawn on either of us how big an explosion that would have created until it was already gone.

One of the more :smith: stories is the one of Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee and how they died due to things being much more flammable in a 100% oxygen atmosphere (amongst some other issues with the test capsule).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

As someone who spends a lot of time crawling around in questionably maintained mechanical rooms on campus, all of which have equally questionably maintained compressors, this poo poo is my nightmare.

Most (but not all) of them have air-driers hooked up and automatic bleed-valves but, yeeeaaahhh. I have a folder of pictures of hosed up stuff in case they ever seriously piss me off...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Munin posted:

One of the more :smith: stories is the one of Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee and how they died due to things being much more flammable in a 100% oxygen atmosphere (amongst some other issues with the test capsule).

On my last ship, we had O2N2 plants. We took a giant wave broadside one night, and the deck beneath it buckled upwards about a foot.

Of course, everyone was making GBS threads themselves when they found out. And I will never forget what our CHENG said when he was talking to the engineering dept and some guy asked what we would have done if it had caused a casualty with a fire in there.

"Run as fast as you can to the opposite end of the ship, and pray. Because were hosed if that ever happens."

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

So the Alloytec really hates it when you skip a service, as to be expected...

But when you have 'Two 70,000km gaps in service book' poo poo goes south real fast :stonk:.

H1KE fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 9, 2014

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

daslog posted:

So I should put it on the roof rack?

Holy gently caress do not do this:

Acetylene bottles actually have a ceramic in the bottom 2/3rd of them in which the liquid chills out and only dreams of killing everything you ever loved.

When you put the bottle on the side, liquid acetylene gets to go out and explore its surroundings and at that point it usually loses its gentle and forgiving nature. And explodes with no warning and less provocation.

In Australia, it's been phased out in favour of MAPP gas; if you can get that instead, do so. Note that MAPP burns a bit colder and may poison your virgin cuts welds with reaction byproducts.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 10, 2014

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Just use the mapp to heat the piece up and cut with pure oxygen like a man. :getin:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Godholio posted:

I will never buy a loving Mazda.

We buy a ton of them here in Canada, despite the scary rust pictures of the older models. Mazda says the rust issues have been fixed, and the newer ones seem to be holding up well, but time will tell.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
MAPP hasn't been produced since 2008.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not mine. Wear your safety equipment.

:stonk:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Showed that to a boss of mine and he relayed a story about a grinding wheel that came apart on him, went over his left shoulder and hit some dude 20 feet behind him in the head hard enough to almost knock him unconscious and ripped his scalp open.:gonk:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Cutting/grinding wheels that blow apart at high speeds are terrifying. There's a lot of kinetic energy in that little disc...

Warning: graphic images of people damaged by cutoff wheels http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228108&showall=1

Wear your gloves. Use the side-handle on the angle grinder. Use the drat scatter shield/guard on the grinder, and rotate it so it shields you, not the side of your workbench and one of your legs.

Wear a face shield. Wear eye protection. Wear ear protection (what?)

And keep yourself out of what I call "the plane of death"... typically if the wheel explodes it'll fly somewhere in the plane it's rotating in. As long as you have the grinder under control and aren't in that plane, you should be MOSTLY safe.

Do as I say, not as I've done. I spent $1300 at the ER on xrays and stitches because I almost cut my left index finger off when a cutoff wheel bound up in a bolt I was cutting under tension. It was one of those "it's just two bolts I have to cut, no idea where my safety gear is, gently caress it" type things. Oh, between my insurance company and I, over $5k was spent getting metal and rust out of my cornea a few years back before that... apparently I don't learn as much as I should.

I wear my gloves+earplugs and use the side handle and guard religiously now, but I'm still kinda dumb about eye protection and face shields occasionally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I, too, am a crazy mutherfucker who incorrectly uses his angle grinder in dangerous ways. I've been lucky.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've had discs explode. but I don't stick my head right in the flightpath.

Good to see what happens when you DO though.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
My 30 year veteran coworker whos "old school" as he puts it never wears safety glasses. Literally never. Not when hammering on rusted drum brakes, not when using a cut off wheel or a die grinder. Not when using a cutting torch. Not even when tack welding. He will eventually put on a lovely harbor freight pair of dark safety glasses im pretty sure are just rated for a cutting torch, when welding for extended periods like ten min or longer. Its insane.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
About ten years ago my friend had an old lovely Opel that we'd fixed some rust on. For some reason he wanted some paint on the patches instead of just primer. Anyhow, he knew someone who knew someone who recommended this really old dude (with a genuine Karl Marx-beard, therefor everyone called him "The Beard") that had an old paint shop and had been in business for like 40 years, so he'd started to turn away customers he didn't know or who didn't get "recommended" to him from someone he knew so he could have more spare time and not have to deal with random idiots.

So we went there with the Opel, The Beard looked it over and gave us a price. My friend accepted, they shook on it and then we left the Opel there without going into the shop. A week later came pickup time. As we opened the door to the shop, the air was FILLED with the stench of solvent. It was completely overwhelming to the point where we couldn't even go in without choking. As we stood there with the door open, thinking something must be wrong, The Beard called out for us from inside the shop, before stepping outside with the biggest grin I've ever seen on a man.

We conversed for a while, looked the car over (that was parked out back) and paid him. As we where leaving, I couldn't help to comment on the stench. His only comment was "yeah, those water based colours are poo poo, I won't touch 'em". His employee (barely younger than The Beard) stood in the doorway smoking a cigarette the whole time we where there, before they both went into the shop again and closed the door.

How is there a single functional brain cell in heads like those?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My shop teacher in high school in 2000 told us all about taking a wheel explosion to the face and neck in 1993 and how he was still occasionally having chunks of it work their way to the surface.
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I was sent that pic with the wheel stuck in the guys face back in October, and the story went that he is a Union boilermaker working in a refinery and couldn't fit the grinder in where he needed to cut off a flange stud so he took the guard off.

The best option would have been to get a torch but at least at my local refinery, it takes an act of congress to be able to use a torch on anything still attached to process equipment. Back in October I spent a couple days hacksawing 1 1/2" studs about 3/4 through then using a chisel to break them because the line contained residual oil and h2s and they wouldn't issue a hot work for a grinder or torch.