Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

So the problem here, is that too many Ice Climbers will make the game freeze?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Guy A. Person posted:

The pikmin are probably each 1/4 as complex so if you have 4 Olimars each with their max 3 pikmin out and then they all simultaneously do their up B does that count as 8 characters?

The Pikmin are like 1/20th the polycount if we're being generous, and very basic textures.

Seshoho Cian posted:

So the problem here, is that too many Ice Climbers will make the game freeze?

get out

(yes)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Replace Nana with a pikmin.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm thinking Rosalina's gonna "fill" the two-character twin control "gimmick" of the Climbers. I'd be happy to be wrong but I'm not counting on them making it in.

We've already seen Smash City (whatever that mode is called) pictures that have the Ice Climbers polar bear. They're almost certainly still in.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Endorph posted:

Replace Nana with a pikmin.

They should make an cold-themed Pikmin just for this. An 'Ice Pick-min', if you will.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Spatula City posted:

So as of right now I see 43, but that's not a nice, pleasing number, so 45 maybe, although I can't see what more would be added. A third Fire Emblem and/or 6th Pokemon character? Snake somehow returns? A newcomer from something else?

I can hope against all hope from a Kirby's Return to Dream Land character (Waddle Dee or Magolor) and King K. Rool (considering the Kremlings were back), but even I know they'd be in the "highly unlikely" bin.

Also Simon Belmont, who'd make a very suitable Snake replacement for a Konami rep and reunite the Captain N trio.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artix posted:

We've already seen Smash City (whatever that mode is called) pictures that have the Ice Climbers polar bear. They're almost certainly still in.

On the other hand we haven't seen anything related to Xenoblade

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
It seems like they could get around this by keeping the Ice Climber models simple. They're already not complex designs, and since your designing for a handheld screen you can use some shortcuts.

Also, I don't recall Melee ever having trouble with 8 Ice Climbers on screen.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

The Pikmin are like 1/20th the polycount if we're being generous, and very basic textures.

Yeah I know I was just joking. It is a concern, especially because the whole "no characters who change" thing was also likely due to technical limits (even though I personally like that change). Hell, Olimar's Pikmin limit might be the same issue.

I am wondering if there are cheats they can use because the Ice Climbers are literally the same exact model and are performing the exact same movements 90% of the time. I am hopeful because they have consistently surprised me, so I won't sweat it just yet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I know I was just joking. It is a concern, especially because the whole "no characters who change" thing was also likely due to technical limits (even though I personally like that change). Hell, Olimar's Pikmin limit might be the same issue.

This is probably limitations with the 3DS memory, I assume Olimar was limited too because 4 Olimars with 6 Pikmin each would probably be hell on the 3DS to render. Then factor in the 3D and it'd be a slideshow.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

bef posted:

Actually I don't know if I want them to switch up Ganondorf, hes a lot of fun to play in melee especially with his aerials. I guess if they keep the satisfaction of thunder-powered thighs and back-airs that smack you across the map i'll be content. I haven't tried him in P:M yet but I hope he got the buff he deserved

I completely agree, but some of this could easily stay even with a new sword based move set. Thunder thighs could justifiably stay, as could back air, just jabbing with the hilt of a sword instead of a fist now. Neutral A could remain the same, maybe mixed up with a sword finish like Ikes. His down B could be a magically lunged Sword dash instead of a kick. Side B is unique, and hopefully will stay as is. Its really really useful to be able to stop other characters right where they are, when you're the slowest one.

I think the only thing that I would hate to lose, which probably would be lost with a sword based move set is his forward air.

E: Oh yes he is glorious in Project M. I'm best with Marth in Brawl, but in Project M suddenly I was a faaaaaar better player, thanks to Ganondorf, then my Marth could ever be.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 9, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is probably limitations with the 3DS memory, I assume Olimar was limited too because 4 Olimars with 6 Pikmin each would probably be hell on the 3DS to render. Then factor in the 3D and it'd be a slideshow.

Also most of the changes to characters are generally speaking upgrades to playing them? Like Olimar's poo poo is much more manageable, Zelda and Sheik get their own movesets and can be flushed out better instead of having to balance around the player having two entire movesets they can swap at will, AND you're no longer actively punished for getting the Smash Ball as Samus.

Good poo poo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
At low levels Olimar will definitely be easier, but it's worth remembering that even with his awful recovery he was still top tier. It'll be interesting to see how he shakes out, because getting Pikmin in order is a big help, and he can't be edge-guarded as easily with his new recovery, but minus the edge weakness his old recovery recovers farther the more Pikmin he has, while the new recovery is the opposite-so he may need to not call back/throw away Pikmin to make it back when knocked off and not immediately close, putting him at a disadvantage until he can pluck more. Also his old recovery was a fairly useful offensive tool, albeit definitely not his strongest one.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also most of the changes to characters are generally speaking upgrades to playing them? Like Olimar's poo poo is much more manageable, Zelda and Sheik get their own movesets and can be flushed out better instead of having to balance around the player having two entire movesets they can swap at will, AND you're no longer actively punished for getting the Smash Ball as Samus.

Good poo poo.

They've definitely been framed that way and I think most people would agree that they are. It's obviously personal preference though. The Zelda/Sheik dichotomy was a unique play-style and having them separate is cool but you lose something unique from the game. I know a lot of people like Charizard being solo but I think he is redundant without the switching mechanic (at a pinch I would rather have either of the other two but I think if you are losing that whole gimmick then any of them are just another pokemon slot yipee). The Samus thing was just annoying as piss though. They've made the less Pikmin thing into a boon by making them easier to set up combos since you can no longer just spam them, and also having less Pikmin out is an advantage when you are trying to recover.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Did anyone in the history of Smash ever actually make good use of switching between Zelda and Sheik? It's such a lovely swap, even pokemon trainer's could leave you dangerously open but Zelda's takes sooooo looooooong.

Also they finally replaced Sheik's lovely ->B, holy balls!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The only downside is that now you can't start as ZSS and get a ton of bullshit strong items to throw at everyone. I 3 stocked one of my friends in college just with the armor pieces and then he never played Smash with me again :saddowns:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

IronicDongz posted:

Did anyone in the history of Smash ever actually make good use of switching between Zelda and Sheik? It's such a lovely swap, even pokemon trainer's could leave you dangerously open but Zelda's takes sooooo looooooong.

Also they finally replaced Sheik's lovely ->B, holy balls!

I'm sure there were some people that switched strategically or something, but in all of my matches from Melee through Brawl, people either played Zelda or played Shiek, and never really swapped mid-match at all.

Pokemon Trainer would have been the same way if they didn't force you to switch due to stamina/respawning. I'd have just played Squirtle all day long. (who i assume is not returning now :( )

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I never realized it, but Sceptile would be an awesome addition. Then again, the Starter-trinity with Charizard and Greninja could purely be coincidental and we'll might see Jigglypuff, but that's it.
Personally I like the Ice Climbers but I wouldn't be devastated if they were cut. They can be confusing for casual play and have little to offer competitively aside their asynchronous maneuvers and chain-grabs, which shouldn't exist in the game in the first place.

Thinking about Samus' redesign some more, I'd argue the boots are an even better addition than most folks think. Yes, they're high heels, but they're also chunky as gently caress and really stand out of the rest of Samus' suit. The jet boots, along with the matching bracelets, break the generic silhouette of a woman with slender wrists and dainty feet. During gameplay, it looks like she's wading around with magnet boots or something.

VV That's the thing, yes. Then again, I'm not sure what Sceptile could bring to the table that would have already been done with another character. Treeko or Grovyle, however...

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 10, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think the boots are really bad either, I just think ZSS is bad in the first place.

Also Sceptile would rule but I'm pretty sure Sceptile is not popular at all, because everyone who isn't me has poo poo taste. :mad:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I think nintendo should add Triple H to smash bros.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Samus has weirdly-shaped breasts and I don't know how that passed Nintendo's QA.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Seeing the Ice Climbers Polar Bear show up in Smash Run was all I needed to see to feel confident they're back. Wario, Falcon, the Climbers, and Ness are basically guarantees due to incidental evidence, and Ganondorf, Meta Knight and Game & Watch all feel like pretty big givens. Game & Watch is the First Nintendo Character, Ganondorf's Ganondorf and Meta Knight is Sakurai's baby. At this point there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to doubt those seven characters showing up.

Likewise, Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle can basically be written off. The rest are in varying states of "maybe".

Sceptile is my all-time favorite Pokemon and I would absolutely love to see him show up alongside Greninja and Charizard but I think it'll just be Jigglypuff. And that's fine too because I love Jigglypuff. :3:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Wonder how this will feel playing on the 3DS. Wasn't considering double dipping on this one until they spaced out the release dates.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

horriblePencilist posted:

VV That's the thing, yes. Then again, I'm not sure what Sceptile could bring to the table that would have already been done with another character. Treeko or Grovyle, however...

Use Grovyle and base him off of his Mystery Dungeon appearance. You get a Grass type starter, and a way to represent the Pokemon spin-off games. He can throw Time Gears as a special and his Final Smash can summon Primal Dialga.

(Seriously though, I'd love for the Pokemon spinoffs to get SOME kind of recognition in Smash. Anything would be nice, really.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Reiley posted:

Samus has weirdly-shaped breasts and I don't know how that passed Nintendo's QA.

It's this poo poo. I can deal with the jet-heels (though not the pointless heels from Other M) but the loving boob-socks are just egregious pandering. It's awful.

At least she's not five-foot-six like in Other M, though, that was loving Mai Waifu bullshit.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 10, 2014

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So odds are pretty high that ZSS will have a color scheme that references Bayonetta, right?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Overbite posted:

I think nintendo should add Triple H to smash bros.

I think you mean the Beast Incarcerate, Brock Lesnar. Paul Heyman assist trophy mandatory.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

DoctorWhat posted:

boob-socks

This. I am actually of the opinion that the skin tight attire makes sense, since I imagine Zero Suit to be a "I just literally just now stepped out of the suit" Zero Suit. But they were like "Ok ZSS is coming back, what do we do? Bigger boobs and high heels? Give this man a promotion!"

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

The Bee posted:

I think you mean the Beast Incarcerate, Brock Lesnar. Paul Heyman assist trophy mandatory.

Brock looks like a baby and he can't wrestle. Triple H is the best one for Smash Bros.

Also, why does the Wii U version have a Kid Icarus stage when the 3DS does not? The game was on 3DS.

edit: I'm upset they made Samus shorter. I mean what's with that, why can't she be 6 foot plus?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

So odds are pretty high that ZSS will have a color scheme that references Bayonetta, right?

Or Raiden, another Functional High Heel Wearer.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If there was a grass starter Pokemon to round out the trio it has to be that smug snake.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

The Bee posted:

no, add jhon cena

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Overbite posted:

Brock looks like a baby and he can't wrestle. Triple H is the best one for Smash Bros.

Also, why does the Wii U version have a Kid Icarus stage when the 3DS does not? The game was on 3DS.

edit: I'm upset they made Samus shorter. I mean what's with that, why can't she be 6 foot plus?

The 3DS has the reset bomb forest from Uprising as a stage.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Overbite posted:

He's far from my favorite. I just can't stop laughing at the idea of Heyman advocating for whoever gets his trophy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im wondering how much abuse the 3ds will be able to take for this game. seems like you might quickly wear out the thumbstick and buttons to it? it definitely should be more comfortable to play with a stick on the regular controllers.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Space T Rex posted:

This. I am actually of the opinion that the skin tight attire makes sense, since I imagine Zero Suit to be a "I just literally just now stepped out of the suit" Zero Suit. But they were like "Ok ZSS is coming back, what do we do? Bigger boobs and high heels? Give this man a promotion!"

Basically it's not unreasonable that Samus would wear something snug under the powersuit, but the thing with skin-tight clothes is that they stretch over indentations like the navel instead of clinging to every detail, and also they compress stuff like boobs, smushing them flat.

ZSS looks like Dennis Reynolds was involved in the concept art.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Judging by the screenshots on the website Samus actually looks a lot less weird in the 3DS version so I guess those lower polycounts are a boon after all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I really hope the 3ds version doesn't get ruined by hacks or pro action replays.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

bef posted:

On the other hand we haven't seen anything related to Xenoblade

They can throw Ice Climbers stuff in there and people can make their own assumptions since Ice Climbers have been in Smash before. They pretty much can't reveal anything Xenoblade related since it'd be an awful choice publicity wise. Revealing Bionis Leg or Prison Island before announcing Shulk pretty much announces Shulk without actually announcing him. That being said, they've already revealed Ferox Arena and a Tiki trophy and we still haven't seen anything involving Chrom, but that probably falls into the same camp as Ice Climbers, it's something a majority of fans have already assumed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Yeah, yeah, high heels are totally impractical.

Counter-point: You know who else went into battle wearing high heels?

• Locked thread