Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Covok posted:

Are the classes going to have no flavor? That seems off for D&D. They usually at least have some implied setting snuck into the PHB. Also, I think they "bumped it up" to 10 or 11 classes a while back.

haha, are they really going to have no flavor? thats some poo poo, "roleplay a barbarian" "what kind of barbarian" "just do it human being, heres your char sheet"

one of my favorite things about the 4th ed char builder is just checking out the section dedicated to fluff background information, picking out like 5 and making a character concept out of them, best addition ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I've never felt the need for the roleplaying system to tell me what my character is

I mean, I can do a bad french accent, a bad spanish accent, a bad australian accent, the theater of the mind is flush with possibilities

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Neurolimal posted:

haha, are they really going to have no flavor? thats some poo poo, "roleplay a barbarian" "what kind of barbarian" "just do it human being, heres your char sheet"

To clarify, I have no idea if they are going to have flavor or not. Considering past editions, I think they are definitely are going to have flavor. I was just asking because LSTB said it like it was a fact which means he might know something that I don't. It's not like I've been keeping up to date with this game.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

I messed up that figure, I was thinking of the playtest which didn't have all the classes, but it did have all the staple classes. Time will tell if it will he a possible sell to your Paizofriends I suppose.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

To clarify, I have no idea if they are going to have flavor or not. Considering past editions, I think they are definitely are going to have flavor. I was just asking because LSTB said it like it was a fact which means he might know something that I don't. It's not like I've been keeping up to date with this game.
I think LSTB meant that the classes are bland and uninteresting, not that they won't have flavour text.

In one packet if you played a Dragon Power Source Sorcerer you became more and more dragon-ey as you cast spells, slowly transforming into a fire-belching scaley dude over the course of the day. They got rid of it because it was new and interesting. No really that was their actual given reasoning.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 8, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I have two loving totes full of those loving books that I never really want to open again, and yet I'll be damned if I sell them.
I got like 300 bucks from my 3.5 books. No regrets.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
So I checked out the player's guide for Zeitgeist since I seen good talk about it, and the Polyhistor paragon path looks like what I'd expect from a martial-dice based Fighter, plus it's really strong mechanically.

Could the Next Fighter be fixed by basically pulling all the stuff off the polyhistor and making those sorts of abilities the basic chassis you could staple more stuff onto?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
this game appeals to no one don't play it

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Generic Octopus posted:

So I checked out the player's guide for Zeitgeist since I seen good talk about it, and the Polyhistor paragon path looks like what I'd expect from a martial-dice based Fighter, plus it's really strong mechanically.

Could the Next Fighter be fixed by basically pulling all the stuff off the polyhistor and making those sorts of abilities the basic chassis you could staple more stuff onto?

The Polyhistor is better already by not being called a "fighter". That's like calling an Only War character a shooter.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

LSTB posted:

The Polyhistor is better already by not being called a "fighter". That's like calling an Only War character a shooter.

What the hell is a Polyhistor though

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gort posted:

What the hell is a Polyhistor though

The definition of Polyhistor is Polymath. Apparently, Polymath means "a person of encyclopedic learning."

So, transitive property...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

The definition of Polyhistor is Polymath. Apparently, Polymath means "a person of encyclopedic learning."

So, transitive property...
Yeah, the attached theme is "Martial Scientist" so it's all about learning how to best kill things.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
think about how there is an entire generation of young people for whom d&d next will be a novel tabletop RPG experience and then kill yourself

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

if you haven't done it before, driving a rusty nail through your dick is a novel experience.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What if the nail's not rusty? Does it still feel like a nail?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ratoslov posted:

if you haven't done it before, driving a rusty nail through your dick is a novel experience.

sounds like something a fighter would do

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doc Hawkins posted:

sounds like something a fighter would do
I'm pretty sure there's a BoVD feat with that as a prerequisite.

Dec 26, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

but enough about a newbie playing a fighter in d&d next

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Splicer posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a BoVD feat with that as a prerequisite.

In return for +1 to saves against dazzling and the ticket cost of getting into Thrall of Googilyface

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

quote:

@vikke064 Just read the L&L about the Battlemaster. Seems promising, but I still lack an option for a "fighter's cure wounds". DMG maybe?
@mikemearls there's a healing-like option included in the battlemaster's initial selection of tricks

@Tavicz Are you considering some special maneuvers for critical hit? Some special tricks a PC could do when scores a critical hit.
@mikemearls We're trying to avoid that kind of thing. There's a bad collision between making crits more likely, and improving crits.

@rockguitarmy Can PC gain new skill profs? Can they buy training? Gain extra background? Or is MC the only option?
@mikemearls feats, plus downtime system should have option for training.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

i like not tailoring build options to the thing that happens 5% of the time, but nothing makes me less excited about next than the idea of "the downtime system"

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

it's like jazz. it's the adventures you aren't having

Dec 26, 2012

healing-like option

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

i like not tailoring build options to the thing that happens 5% of the time, but nothing makes me less excited about next than the idea of "the downtime system"

Torchbearer has a fun and engaging "Town Phase" that allows you to roll dice and have fun (or unfun) stuff happen to you as you try to offload your loot and get better stuff. But then again, Torchbearer is designed by a guy who actually wants to make a game and not just a frankenstein's monster of mechanics from the different editions of the same game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gau posted:

But then again, Torchbearer is designed by a guy who actually wants to make a game

Something you know all about, right?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

01011001 posted:

healing-like option

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I prefer "master of battle". I prefer it my way.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 10, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Gau posted:

Torchbearer has a fun and engaging "Town Phase" that allows you to roll dice and have fun (or unfun) stuff happen to you as you try to offload your loot and get better stuff. But then again, Torchbearer is designed by a guy who actually wants to make a game and not just a frankenstein's monster of mechanics from the different editions of the same game.

Is this game like Diablo at all? Whenever i hear "town phase" that's the first game that pops into mind.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

See and this is why "I roll the highest result possible and AUTOMATICALLY hit" is a retardedly lovely premise for critical hits. If you roll a 20 you goddamn well better hit the loving thing, otherwise your game math is completely hosed sideways.

A critical on a d20 should be a roll that normally wouldn't hit; that would make it easier to have crits do interesting maneuvers or effects and allow for crit-opping. Right..?

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

DOWNTIME IS WIN

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

downtime abbey, the game system about spellcasters and their servants

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Torchbearer has a lot of really bad ideas that are too fundamental to the system to remove, like Nature

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

LSTB posted:

Torchbearer has a lot of really bad ideas that are too fundamental to the system to remove, like Nature

haha, nature does like 1/4 of what it does in a game like Mouse Guard. You could pretty much ditch it, even though it's awesome and really flavorful.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gau posted:

haha, nature does like 1/4 of what it does in a game like Mouse Guard. You could pretty much ditch it, even though it's awesome and really flavorful.

i am not sure dwarves getting +7 on all checks to whine about elves is really flavorful or awesome

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Cease to Hope posted:

i am not sure dwarves getting +7 on all checks to whine about elves is really flavorful or awesome

think of all the tension and drama when you fail that roll but

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

LSTB posted:

Torchbearer has a lot of really bad ideas that are too fundamental to the system to remove

luke_crane.txt

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

they call it burning wheel because playing it is like being broken in a medieval torture-dungeon

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

I successfully rolled a FATAL character but I've never completed the "character burner"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

guys i just had an idea. eye of argon.... the tabletop rpg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
use it as the resolution mechanic. The Difficulty Number is how many sentences you have to read without laughing.

• Locked thread