Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Apok posted:

Well I'm excited for the 3DS version, however I'm a bit disappointed that they removed both Ness and Lucas and haven't announced any Earthbound characters. I mained Ness pre-Brawl and Lucas in Brawl and no other characters come close to their play style.

We don't have the complete cast list and Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge are both still items. Odds are extremely good one of the two (probably Ness) is still in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

How big is the Earthbound Franchise in Japan?

I know over here it has a pretty big cult following and is beloved enough that people fan-translated Mother 3, but I'm always curious as to the series' popularity on its native soil.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
If SE ever put a fighting into brawl I would love for it to be someone from the Mana series if anything. I might hold onto a hope that SE will actually put love and effort into that series again.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I know over here it has a pretty big cult following and is beloved enough that people fan-translated Mother 3, but I'm always curious as to the series' popularity on its native soil.
It's pretty drat huge in Japan. Almost Monster Hunter levels.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I heard it's pretty big but not a lot of people liked Mother 3 for being super depressing. I remember a specific quote being "I don't know why they want it over seas. It's a alright game but it's just so moody" or something similar.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Apok posted:

Well I'm excited for the 3DS version, however I'm a bit disappointed that they removed both Ness and Lucas and haven't announced any Earthbound characters. I mained Ness pre-Brawl and Lucas in Brawl and no other characters come close to their play style.

it hasn't been confirmed they removed either

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Zain posted:

It's pretty drat huge in Japan. Almost Monster Hunter levels.

Mother is popular, but I don't think it's anywhere near Monster Hunter's level.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Why yes, I would like Boney as a player character.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Mother is popular, but I don't think it's anywhere near Monster Hunter's level.

Going to agree with this, Monster Hunter is in the same league as Animal Crossing and Pokemon over there, hell, the primary reason people bought a PSP in Japan was for the MH Portable games and Portable 3rd sold something like 4.5 million copies in the first 6 months of its launch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Earthbound is a game a good few people remember fondly, it isn't some big mega-franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Earthbound got into SSB because HAL Labratories worked on both games. That's it.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

^That, too

Plus, the writer for the series (Itoi?) is apparently a big name in Japan, so they're more popular because of his attachment too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Shigesato Itoi was a renowned copywriter and helped establish the profession in Japan, voiced Mei and Satsuki's father in My Neighbor Totoro, and has a blog he's updated with essays every day since 1997, as well as his work with the Mother series and a bass fishing game where you played as him.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
If Earthbound was Mother 1, what happened to Mother 2?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Excels posted:

Earthbound = Mother 2

Mother was translated by Nintendo of America but never brought over.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Excels posted:

Mother and Mother 2 are both called Earthbound.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Excels posted:

Mother 1 never came out in the US, Earthbound is Mother 2.

e;fb. Twice. Welp.

Anyways I'm super excited for playing as Charizard (as a full character) and Greninja, even though he's not a fire starter. I uh. Have difficulties choosing not the fire starter in Pokemon games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's like a Strong Female Characters comic made into a video game.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

What the gently caress.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fox is upsmashing? Tripping on a banana? I think ZSS is like, doing an inverse cammy cannon spike?!?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
No items, no spines, Fox and ZSS only, Final Destination.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Xad posted:

Mother 1 never came out in the US, Earthbound is Mother 2.

e;fb. Twice. Welp.

Anyways I'm super excited for playing as Charizard (as a full character) and Greninja, even though he's not a fire starter. I uh. Have difficulties choosing not the fire starter in Pokemon games.

:hfive: why pick some other type when Fire's the best, amirite?

Charizard, Greninja, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac all look so good to play as. This game is going to be so good. :allears:
oh, and STAND-enhanced Zelda looks more fun.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Exorcist Suit Samus

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Excels posted:

Exorcist Suit Samus

Zero Soul Samus

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Hobo Siege posted:

Where the gently caress is my Captain Hotdog announcement. Also where is Chrom? I DEMAND ANSWERS, SAKURAI.

I would be very surprised if Chrom didn't turn up, especially after seeing the FA: Awakening Arena as an in-game level.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Breasts that jut out so far you can see them while her back is turned.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Turns out that Chozos were owls

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I haven't followed Smash news lately is there any chance of a Castlevania character getting in, or Space Pirate?

That's what I really want. :shrug:

Endorph posted:

Yeah, Earthbound is a game a good few people remember fondly, it isn't some big mega-franchise.

The last game was 2005, iirc, and Itoi wanted it to end there. Sad but that's how things are!

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I haven't followed Smash news lately is there any chance of a Castlevania character getting in, or Space Pirate?

idk dude, maybe? I guess Space Pirate being 1st party means it's more likely. If either happen.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

:hfive: why pick some other type when Fire's the best, amirite?

Charizard, Greninja, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac all look so good to play as. This game is going to be so good. :allears:
oh, and STAND-enhanced Zelda looks more fun.

Honestly, the only fire starter I wasn't a HUGE fan of was Infernape, and I still picked him :colbert:. And yeah, loving Mega Man and Sonic in one game is far more than I could have ever asked for. I really hope they made Sonic better, even the improvements they made in Project M were amazing, and they barely touched any of his special moves. Mostly I just want them to change either his down-B or side-B because WHY DOES HE NEED TWO SPINDASHES HE CAN DO OTHER THINGS. Like make his side-B a light dash through some rings or his down-B a ground slam or basically just anything to give him at least one hard-hitting move. Something with his Shot special from Sonic Battle? I don't know, Sonic Battle was awesome and Sonic doesn't breakdance enough in Smash.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The jet boots could've been a neat idea but I hate that neon yellow light they have. Did using the purple that's on her back not test well or what?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Supercar Gautier posted:

Breasts that jut out so far you can see them while her back is turned.

She's not fully turned away from the camera, that's her side.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

They're trying to make her seem "powerful" and I imagine the designer thought yellow neon went with her hair. Overall I thought her Brawl suit was better. Simple is best, in my opinion. Not everything needs neon lines on it, Japan.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lessail posted:

The jet boots could've been a neat idea but I hate that neon yellow light they have. Did using the purple that's on her back not test well or what?

Eh, I think it works, it emphasizes that they're a separate part. The Zero Suit doesn't have built-in jet heels, they're a separate component that Samus has strapped on.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
http://youtu.be/7xUWnQu2Grs?t=16m20s

The substitute doll that Sakurai replaces himself with at 16:20 does anyone know if that is for sale? On ebay I've only found low quality knock offs. I really want one of these for myself now.

Also, this new Smash Bros game is going to rule. Did not see Greninja coming. That Mega Man final smash couldn't be cooler. It has X and that's all it needs.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Anatharon posted:

The last game was 2005, iirc, and Itoi wanted it to end there. Sad but that's how things are!

It seems to be the only good series that Nintendo is willing to let die.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Unholy Ghost posted:

If you think about it, though? They didn't. In 1996, APE, the company that made Mother 1 and 2, was reformatted into Creatures, Inc. and helped develop a small RPG for the Game Boy with a similar aesthetic and tone.

You might've heard of it. The original installment was pretty buggy, but popular enough that it got a few sequels and spinoffs, and is still around today.

EDIT: I like to imagine this is why, in the Subspace Emissary, Lucas gets paired up with the Pokemon Trainer.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 10, 2014

Sherd Red
Mar 23, 2012
I AM A HORRIBLE PUBBIE WHO LIKES TO USE REDDIT MEMES PLEASE MOCK ME EVERY TIME I POST

The Unholy Ghost posted:

But Nintendo doesn't want to work on F-Zero games anymo- oh, you motherfucker.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The original creator of Earthbound doesn't want to make any more games. I don't see how respecting that wish is 'willing to let it die.' I'm sure they'd be happy to produce another game, but if the main driving force behind it isn't up for it, then churning a fourth entry into an only moderately popular series out would be pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Unholy Ghost posted:

It isn't that they are willing to let it die. It is that Earthbound is kind of a specific person's project and if they don't want to make any more, you really can't make more. I mean you could make Mother 4 but if you did you'd piss off the people most likely to buy it.

• Locked thread