Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Melicious posted:

It definitely varies by state and hospital, but most emergency centers will have discount/charity options for folks without insurance. You may have to fill out a bunch of paperwork, but if you qualify, you may not have to pay anything.

If you're paying out of pocket, then you can probably negotiate a lower cost from the hospital. If you're someone who has a job, and is willing to try to pay off the cost, you can probably get a sizable discount. It will still probably cost you hundreds of dollars, but that's at cost. Hospital billing is notoriously inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SlayVus posted:

How much can I expect to pay for a emergency room visit with two lab tests? I had left early from work twice for almost passing out from vertigo and nausea. I would have gone to a clinic, but they were closed at the time I went to the doctor (2 am). I'm hoping I don't have to make like ten monthly payments of $500...(exaggeration)

I don't have health insurance and just qualified for it through my job.

Ask for a self-pay discount. Most hospitals will give you one if you ask.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
And most hospitals are very flexible and generous with payment plans (they're just happy you are paying). I had a hospital allow $50/month on a $2000+ bill, which is pretty good IMO

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the difference between an Axiom and a Given?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baron Porkface posted:

In formal arguments, axioms could be described as "givens" that everyone agrees on, while just having something as given alone could be a novel thing, or used to argue about known alternates to present situations. E.g. 1 rock + 1 rock = 2 rocks would be an axiom; 1 gallon of fluid x + 1 gallon fluid y = 2 gallons of fluids may be just a given for an argument (since they might mix or react in ways to result in less than or greater than 2 gallons of resulting fluid).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Last time I went camping I didn't have a sleeping bag so I just took a doona and it was totally fine, but it didn't occur to me until just now to wonder, what is the point of a sleeping bag anyway? As far as I can see it's no better for its intended use than a doona is, but if you own one then you have to store it all the time you're not using it, whereas a doona can just stay on your bed. What's the advantage to using an actual sleeping bag?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Tiggum posted:

Last time I went camping I didn't have a sleeping bag so I just took a doona and it was totally fine, but it didn't occur to me until just now to wonder, what is the point of a sleeping bag anyway? As far as I can see it's no better for its intended use than a doona is, but if you own one then you have to store it all the time you're not using it, whereas a doona can just stay on your bed. What's the advantage to using an actual sleeping bag?

Sleeping bags are generally much warmer than duvets which is why they're better suited for camping in cold regions/ in winter.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

Sleeping bags are usually both much more resistant to moisture, and available so that they're comfortable at much lower temperatures. Many sleeping bags are even suitable for sleeping in on the bare dirt/forest floor where normal bedding would tend to not work as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

If you're going car camping in nice weather, there's no advantage.

Now, try stuffing a -5c rated set of blankets into a 22L backpack after two days of rain under a tarp and the advantage will become evident.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Yeah, my old sleeping bag has a windbreaker-type material on the outside which blocks wind, and it's also moisture resistant. I've slept on a hammock (my preferred method) with it on nights where it's 30-40°f and it's kept me warm simply because it blocked wind much better than normal bedding ever could.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Baron Porkface posted:

If you're unsatisfied with Install Windows answer, try asking in the philosophy thread

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

How much can I expect to pay for a emergency room visit with two lab tests? I had left early from work twice for almost passing out from vertigo and nausea. I would have gone to a clinic, but they were closed at the time I went to the doctor (2 am). I'm hoping I don't have to make like ten monthly payments of $500...(exaggeration)

I don't have health insurance and just qualified for it through my job.

This is something that will vary tremendously. Two different hospitals right next to each other could charge you entirely different rates, sometimes different by an order of magnitude.

Welcome to America.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

If I'm streaming video on my phone, does streaming a webm format video reduce the amount of data I'm using vs flash, all else being equal?

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 9, 2014

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Install Windows posted:

What's wrong with that?

Monocultures are the normal way to farm. Throughout history, it's been rare for farmers to intentionally use multiple different breeds of the same crop in the same field, it's always been far easier to use a single one. If what you're trying to say instead is that we're only using one strain of crop for major crops - that's just dead wrong, each and every major seed company has tons of strains they sell, and their offerings even vary by region.

There's nothing wrong with pairing products, and to boot that's only a minority of GM crop strains.

Honestly it was figured out that this poo poo was safe and ok decades ago, and the use over the ensuing time has only reinforced the safety. What you're doing is the equivalent of the people who still believe wifi makes you sick.

You're describing two hugely different definitions of monoculture / lack of biodiversity.
One is "entire US states that nigh exclusively grow 2 crops, corn and soy."
The other is "a farmer has acre A that only contains crop A, acre B that only contains crop B, acre C that only contains crop C," etc.

I agree that a lot of anti-GMO arguments are unfounded or misguided, and that GMOs have a lot of advantages and have saved a lot of people and are pretty important right now, but I thought it was pretty well established that vast swaths of corn planted extremely close together with little in between does foster increased breeding of corn pests, and diminishes soil health. Replace "corn" with soy, wheat, or rice, and it's the same story.
In other words, as I understood it, the question out there is not "does this style of agriculture increase reliance on pesticides and fertilizer," but rather "can we afford to stop this style of agriculture, given our massive population and limited land?" and the answer to that second question is currently "no."

IIRC, even the father of modern GMO crop usage, Norman Borlaug, is troubled by vast monocultures and their implications for pests and fertilizer use, but sees them as necessary sacrifices to feed the world and reduce deforestation. That's why he's also a big proponent of population reduction. Can't recall where I read that so feel free to ignore the Borlaug bit.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

alnilam posted:

You're describing two hugely different definitions of monoculture / lack of biodiversity.
The other is "a farmer has acre A that only contains crop A, acre B that only contains crop B, acre C that only contains crop C," etc.

I agree that a lot of anti-GMO arguments are unfounded or misguided, and that GMOs have a lot of advantages and have saved a lot of people and are pretty important right now, but I thought it was pretty well established that vast swaths of corn planted extremely close together with little in between does foster increased breeding of corn pests, and diminishes soil health. Replace "corn" with soy, wheat, or rice, and it's the same story.

Except that argument has nothing to do with GMOs, and is just a natural implication of farming. Soil depletion didn't start with GMO crops and crop rotation isn't exactly some ancient secret. Farmers have been dealing with that for hundreds of years before GMO crops came along.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 9, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

alnilam posted:

Yes one is a thing that doesn't exist, and the other thing is something that isn't a problem.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Install Windows posted:

Yes one is a thing that doesn't exist, and the other thing is something that isn't a problem.

From the USDA, just a few notable agriculture states and their crop make-up by planted acreage:
code:
S Dakota	65% Corn	30% Soy		4% other
Nebraska	63% Corn	37% Soy		0% other
Minnesota	42% Corn	53% Soy		5% other
Iowa		50% Corn	47% Soy		3% other
Corn map

Soy map

This is my last post on the matter, I'm sorry I even got involved.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

alnilam posted:

it was pretty well established that vast swaths of corn planted extremely close together with little in between does foster increased breeding of corn pests, and diminishes soil health.
Why is this a problem only with GMO crops?

alnilam posted:

IIRC, even the father of modern GMO crop usage, Norman Borlaug, is troubled by vast monocultures and their implications for pests and fertilizer use, but sees them as necessary sacrifices to feed the world and reduce deforestation. That's why he's also a big proponent of population reduction. Can't recall where I read that so feel free to ignore the Borlaug bit.
I doubt he's got much to say seeing as he died in 2009.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

alnilam posted:

From the USDA, just a few notable agriculture states and their crop make-up by planted acreage:
code:
S Dakota	65% Corn	30% Soy		4% other
Nebraska	63% Corn	37% Soy		0% other
Minnesota	42% Corn	53% Soy		5% other
Iowa		50% Corn	47% Soy		3% other
Corn map

Soy map

This is my last post on the matter, I'm sorry I even got involved.

Those states do other things too, like ranches. There's nothing wrong with planting the things that work best for an area.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have a Windows 98 laptop that appears to have been running Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business. I'm trying to get some emails off of it; I've only found one pst file, a file named "archive.pst." Could additional emails have been stored in a different format, or have they likely been deleted?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Thanatosian posted:

I have a Windows 98 laptop that appears to have been running Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business. I'm trying to get some emails off of it; I've only found one pst file, a file named "archive.pst." Could additional emails have been stored in a different format, or have they likely been deleted?

Can you open that file using outlook? My old job archived emails in archive.something files, so if you moved desks/branches you had to transfer that file or lose all your old correspondence, and it was only openable by Outlook.

E: I am not a computer expert, that just sounds like the file type our email archives were.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Huntersoninski posted:

Can you open that file using outlook? My old job archived emails in archive.something files, so if you moved desks/branches you had to transfer that file or lose all your old correspondence, and it was only openable by Outlook.

E: I am not a computer expert, that just sounds like the file type our email archives were.
Oh, yeah, I can totally open that file. It's just that it's just the "Sent Mail" folder, I was hoping to find one that's the inbox, and thought maybe Outlook could have possibly stored it in a different format, given the age.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Oh sorry that I don't know. On our system you had to manually move emails into the archive.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Huntersoninski posted:

Oh sorry that I don't know. On our system you had to manually move emails into the archive.
Yeah, this is what is generally done with the archive. I suspect that when the user got migrated off this computer, they cleaned out all of the emails that were current, and this is just an archive file of sent mails that were missed, but I'm just trying to verify that Outlook 2000 didn't store emails in a different format for active emails than it used for archive emails, to confirm that I'm not missing anything.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

This is definitely a stupid question, but: What does it mean when you seem to attract hyper-clingy people?

I keep coming across people, friends of friends, classmates, co-workers, whoever, that latch on to me. It's so bad that I often find myself purposely acting cold and disinterested just to create distance. I've had a best friend's GF come on to me, a different friend's fiance come on to me, random (male) classmates who borderline stalk me, and just a slew of other people. The kind of stuff where you pick up your phone and have 25 messages from one person that are all "Are you there? I know you're there! Why aren't you responding?"

It happens so much that it must be a problem with me. Is this just a problem 'nice' people have?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Baldbeard posted:

This is definitely a stupid question, but: What does it mean when you seem to attract hyper-clingy people?

I keep coming across people, friends of friends, classmates, co-workers, whoever, that latch on to me. It's so bad that I often find myself purposely acting cold and disinterested just to create distance. I've had a best friend's GF come on to me, a different friend's fiance come on to me, random (male) classmates who borderline stalk me, and just a slew of other people. The kind of stuff where you pick up your phone and have 25 messages from one person that are all "Are you there? I know you're there! Why aren't you responding?"

It happens so much that it must be a problem with me. Is this just a problem 'nice' people have?

My posting's been real real bad lately. For the past four or five years, honestly. I was wondering if you could be my mentor?

I just want to PM you little thoughts I have on the SA ecosystem and occasionally previews of posts I'm kind of on the fence about. I need help with jokes because apparently this is a comedy forum. And if I get banned or someone buys me red text or something I could use a little cash or you could just rebuy my poo poo for me. Just go ahead and give me some contact info, if that's cool. I won't call after maybe whaddya think 10pm PST, unless it's really important.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
NVM

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 12, 2014

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I have a Samsung Series 9 laptop with an Intel N-6235 wireless card. It has the worst wireless performance of any laptop I've ever owned (dropped packets, slow loading, etc).

Does anybody have any last advice for fixing this before I send it to the returns centre?

I've used the Intel driver and the microsoft driver so far. Bought a new dual band router, changed the router channel, played with the power options. Running windows 8.

Thanks

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why is this a problem only with GMO crops?

GMO crops are typically of the same strain, and therefore easier to infect en masse. Non-GMO crops come from all sorts of places and have all sorts of different traits. A single disease outbreak in a field may only affect some of the crop.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raimundus posted:

GMO crops are typically of the same strain, and therefore easier to infect en masse. Non-GMO crops come from all sorts of places and have all sorts of different traits. A single disease outbreak in a field may only affect some of the crop.

This is wrong, conventional seed will bought in huge lots that are used for the whole farm, and for farmers who instead cull their own seed from the harvest, the crop unifies its strain almost entirely after 2 harvests or so.

Once again, another argument people think applies to GM crops that at most applies to all farming in the past ~300 years.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Raimundus posted:

Has there been a case of this actually happening?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hoobajoo posted:

Has there been a case of this actually happening?

Logic of industrial risk, man.

See also, the precautionary principle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Setting aside politics and radioactivity, could detonating nuclear weapons to throw up a bunch of dust into the atmosphere and reduce sunlight be a way to combat global warming, or does the environment not work like that?

I'm only using nukes as an example because similar means of putting up tons of dust into the atmosphere, such as a volcanic eruption, can't really be triggered on demand.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Setting aside politics and radioactivity, could detonating nuclear weapons to throw up a bunch of dust into the atmosphere and reduce sunlight be a way to combat global warming, or does the environment not work like that?

I'm only using nukes as an example because similar means of putting up tons of dust into the atmosphere, such as a volcanic eruption, can't really be triggered on demand.

This is kind of happening already just as a result of human activity and isn't exactly a good thing.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

gradenko_2000 posted:

Even if there was a really, really good chance of that working whoever initiates it is running a single pass/fail experiment on the whole of life on earth.

Even the best scientist(s) in the world have no clue what the exact unintended consequences of something like that would be. The amount of variability involved is probably near infinity.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

It backfired in The Matrix, so I wouldn't scorch our skies IRL either.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

gradenko_2000 posted:

supposedly you could release sulfuric acid into the sky with crop dusters and it would combat global warming:

http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/511016/a-cheap-and-easy-plan-to-stop-global-warming/

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day
Ok, this is weird.

I can't access https://www.irs.gov. Over the past 3 days I've tried multiple times, on 4 different browsers, with no luck. It gives me the "problem loading page" error every time. It worked fine a few weeks ago. Other .gov sites seem fine. My girlfriend can access it fine on her computer at work (just down the road). At first I thought it was down due to the last minute tax rush, but we're a few days past that now and nothing has changed on my end.

What is going on?

Edit: Have now also tried second computer on same connection, still won't work.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 10, 2014

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pogo the Clown posted:

Ok, this is weird.

I can't access https://www.irs.gov. Over the past 3 days I've tried multiple times, on 4 different browsers, with no luck. It gives me the "problem loading page" error every time. It worked fine a few weeks ago. Other .gov sites seem fine. My girlfriend can access it fine on her computer at work (just down the road). At first I thought it was down due to the last minute tax rush, but we're a few days past that now and nothing has changed on my end.

What is going on?

Edit: Have now also tried second computer on same connection, still won't work.

Is it possible that there is a ":tinfoil: keep the government out of my business" firewall on your connection that blocks government IPs? Try disabling the firewall on your router.

That'd be a pretty crazy firewall if that's the case, but that's the only answer that comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I was reading a thing a few months back and can't remember the details, but it was something along the lines of if a certain star was to go supernova we would be able to see it during the day for a year or so. Does anyone have an idea which star this might be, and the time it would take for the light to reach us from the star that exploded (how long ago would it have exploded for the light to now reach us). Would there be any way to detect it before we could see it?

Any hints and tips would be appreciated.