Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Captain Postal posted:

Bingo. Any FG plane becomes prettier as an RG. RG>>FG and we all know it.

edit: Since we're friends and in a safe space I will admit to feeling a little conflicted about the Bugatti P100, since it's by far the most stunning aircraft ever but it's also a tail dragger. I'm not quite sure what these strange and confusing feelings are.

Tail dragger is the way God intended it. Perhaps He has stirred your heart and revealed the Truth to you? Have you thought about Him and the sacrifice He made to ensure that mankind would be saved by having the main landing gear up front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Tail dragger is the way God intended it. Perhaps He has stirred your heart and revealed the Truth to you? Have you thought about Him and the sacrifice He made to ensure that mankind would be saved by having the main landing gear up front?

Um, I'm pretty sure tail dragging is banned in the old testament. Somewhere in Leviticus. God Hates Tail-draggers.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

StandardVC10 posted:

I like flying out of Long Beach, there are no jetways so they pull airstairs up at both the front and back of the plane (for JetBlue's A320s at least) and it's small enough that it doesn't usually get too crowded.

Speaking of food, I've connected through Chicago O'Hare once or twice. While on my way to Portland, Maine, the CRJ broke and we had to wait way, waaaay too long for a new one, but that's not the point of the story - the point is, every restaurant and store in that part of the terminal closed at 8 except the Starbucks. Which I thought was weird, but the rest of the gates seemed to have cleared out - is it just that United's last departure bank from that terminal is around 8 PM, and there's no use keeping anything open afterwards?

One of the things that drives me bonkers about US airports is how early all the concessions close. God help you if you're flying out of Dulles later than 8:30 and want something to eat or god forbid a drink.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

drgitlin posted:

One of the things that drives me bonkers about US airports is how early all the concessions close. God help you if you're flying out of Dulles later than 8:30 and want something to eat or god forbid a drink.

This really is the worst but understandable giving how much passenger traffic dies down by that time of day.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Captain Postal posted:

I'm not quite sure what these strange and confusing feelings are.

Little boys get these feelings when they begin to mature into men and learn to appreciate sex and beauty and tail draggers and FG and other adult things.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Captain Postal posted:

Bingo. Any FG plane becomes prettier as an RG. RG>>FG and we all know it.

edit: Since we're friends and in a safe space I will admit to feeling a little conflicted about the Bugatti P100, since it's by far the most stunning aircraft ever but it's also a tail dragger. I'm not quite sure what these strange and confusing feelings are.

I've always thought that high wing planes look goofy with gear up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:pervert:

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

There should probably be some blowing going on behind the fan, too. Just like Spaceball I, it goes straight from suck to blow.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

joat mon posted:

Little boys get these feelings when they begin to mature into men and learn to appreciate sex and beauty and tail draggers and FG and other adult things.

Exposing your LG for all to see? You sinful deviants!

The Qur'an clearly states: “Say to the believing pilots that: they should cast down their glances and retract their undercarriages (by being chaste). This is better for them.”

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ehnus posted:

Lancair Legacy :swoon:

That is a sexy airplane

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, looks way nicer than the DA-40 in my opinion. The DA-40 goes too far past curvy and just ends up looking absurd and a bit fragile.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jonny Nox posted:

Hey sometimes we have a Liberal Government. Then it won't be a shitshow because the Liberals won't buy anything at all.

Late comment to the whole thing: I agree*, but sometimes I think this attitude is part of the problem. Really, the system itself is what is broken, not one party vs. another. And because Canadian Federal Government is itself fairly broken, the only thing us citizens are allowed to do is choose who's in charge of the broken system.

Let me put it another way: in several other parts of the government, a minimal competence is upheld simply because the alternative would be complaints and a possible political advantage to people not in office. So, even without competitors, parts of the government that deal with the public have an incentive to maintain some level of competence. The Department of National Defense (DND for outlanders) is the opposite: they only have one 'client' that they actually answer to: the government of Canada. This is made much worse because anytime the DND fucks up, the Government will always defend them, as whatever party wins the last election suddenly wants to deflect blame away from the government instead of shove it toward government as the party did when in opposition. So the DND can just gently caress up more or less forever, its various apparatchiks trading favors and sliming up to this or that interest group without consequence.

A good example of this is the comically terrible submarine program the Canadian Navy has. It was a Liberal screwup, without a doubt, buying flakey submarines from the Brits without checking to see what torpedoes they fire, and then deciding that instead of buying torpedoes from the Brits they would reverse-engineer the subs to fire the American torpedoes we had a stockpile. Still, the Cons took complete ownership of that shitshow, and then doubled down on it simply to avoid the appearance of being in error previously. Instead of buying new submarines, replacing the entire fleet with modern subs of German or Swedish construction, they sunk the equivalent amount of money into the old, now decaying submarines that Canada already has - even though they can't fire torpedoes. (If the fleet lasts another 20 years, I'll be astonished.)

Anybody with the actual power to enact change (IE the ruling party) is also the only group (aside from apparatchiks of the bureaucracy) who suddenly has something to loose by it, and so let the wasteful and broken system continue undisturbed. Indeed, they are the major beneficiary, since they can use defense spending to generate all sorts of politically useful baksheesh. Prop up this rotten borough over here, send a contract to this friend of the party, etc. With the continuing F-35 program in Canada, all these questions about "industrial benefits to Canada" are really just upfront solicitations for bribes from LockMart. This is always the first question for the federal government when procurement questions come up - how they can extract as much as possible from the process for their own use. If the Canadian Military got literally nothing at the end of the process, it would matter not a whit to the fed, as long as it doesn't make them look bad. At this point the F-35 could be made from cardboard and cottage cheese and it wouldn't matter, as long as LockMart sent enough politically convenient baksheesh their way. (Especially, say, just before a federal election--)

This is coming perilously close to being a rant against the the Conservatives, and I suppose it is, in a way. These are mistakes they are making, after all. But here's what I want to underline: if another party was in power, it wouldn't be any different. These evils are the evils of the Fed, not the evils of the Conservatives. We're supposed to rant against this or that party, because that deflects blame from the real problem: the fact that the system itself is incompetent and corrupt, and the people in charge (regardless of who they are) like it that way.

*The Cons did increase military spending, and that is a good thing in my view - one of the very few policies they have that I agree with - since the Forces have become increasingly hollowed out, with lots of equipment that badly needs replacing. They did buy C-17s, the new C-130Js, and the national shipbuilding program (which BTW was outsources from the DND to consulting firms to make some fairly important decisions) seems to be coming together rather competently. Still, as in the off-topic rant above, those are high points in a series of mostly quite terrible decisions.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 9, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nebakenezzer posted:

They did buy C-17s, the new C-130Js, and the national shipbuilding program (which BTW was outsources from the DND to consulting firms to make some fairly important decisions) seems to be coming together rather competently.

As the thread's resident boatsperg, let me assure you that the NSPS will be in line with traditional Canadian procurement shitshows, and is coming together that way already. Of course it won't get cancelled or strongly modified because as you said a) The government would have to admit that they've hosed up and b) Lots of jobs in BC and Nova Scotia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

*The Cons did increase military spending, and that is a good thing in my view, one of the very few policies they have that I agree with, since the Forces have become increasingly hollowed out, with lots of equipment that badly needs replacing. They did buy C-17s, the new C-130Js, and the national shipbuilding program (which BTW was outsources from the DND to consulting firms to make some fairly important decisions) seems to be coming together rather competently. Still, as in the off-topic rant above, those are high points in a series of mostly quite terrible decisions.

They also actively suppressed and defunded Canadian science programs, pushed creationism and pseudoscience as the norm, and literally censored scientific papers that didn't fall in line with majority party talking points.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FrozenVent posted:

As the thread's resident boatsperg, let me assure you that the NSPS will be in line with traditional Canadian procurement shitshows, and is coming together that way already. Of course it won't get cancelled or strongly modified because as you said a) The government would have to admit that they've hosed up and b) Lots of jobs in BC and Nova Scotia.

Do...boatspergs have their own thread? I have a few questions about maritime salvage...:shepface:

CommieGIR posted:

They also actively suppressed and defunded Canadian science programs, pushed creationism and pseudoscience as the norm, and literally censored scientific papers that didn't fall in line with majority party talking points.

No argument here. I did say, though, that

Nebakenezzer posted:

(increased military spending was) one of the very few policies they have that I agree with

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
We really need to teach those corrupt Conservatives a lesson and vote in those corrupt Liberals. Or if we get especially mad, we can vote in the incompetent NDP so that the next corrupt government has to slash everything to to bone to pay for their economic mismanagement.

:canada: Politics :suicide:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Blistex posted:

We really need to teach those corrupt Conservatives a lesson and vote in those corrupt Liberals. Or if we get especially mad, we can vote in the incompetent NDP so that the next corrupt government has to slash everything to to bone to pay for their economic mismanagement.

:canada: Politics :suicide:

No poo poo. It's a cluster either way. What kind of a bizarro world are we living in when when Brian loving Mulroney comes out of the woodwork and starts actually sounding like he's making the most sense now days.

Also continuing on airport chat, the only thing positive I had to say about YYZ was once when I arrived from Frankfurt there was ZERO immigration. Got off the the aircraft, followed the roped walkways, end up in baggage claim. Get suitcase, walk out of the area expecting immigration but all of a sudden I was outside in the unsecured area. Was a major :wtc: thing for me but whatever. I kept looking back like I missed something and probably had a guilty look for hours.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

*The Cons did increase military spending, and that is a good thing in my view - one of the very few policies they have that I agree with - since the Forces have become increasingly hollowed out, with lots of equipment that badly needs replacing.

Sure the Cons gave DND a pile of money, but it played out along the lines of "Hey it seems like it would be a vote-getter to give you guys some money, have a truckload!"

"What are we supposed to do with it all?"

"SUPPORT ARE TROOPS YOU IDIOTS :canada:"

With little to no direction as to how to spend it, they pretty much just wasted it all on frivolous things that neither made our military any more effective nor improved the quality of life of our soldiers either.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Do...boatspergs have their own thread? I have a few questions about maritime salvage...:shepface:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393222

This thread has ship-spergs in it. Mostly talking jobs.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3582242

This one is more about marine/ocean science, but ship stuff might come up there too.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MrChips posted:

Sure the Cons gave DND a pile of money, but it played out along the lines of "Hey it seems like it would be a vote-getter to give you guys some money, have a truckload!"

"What are we supposed to do with it all?"

"SUPPORT ARE TROOPS YOU IDIOTS :canada:"

With little to no direction as to how to spend it, they pretty much just wasted it all on frivolous things that neither made our military any more effective nor improved the quality of life of our soldiers either.

I think the C-17s would count as a positive as we can now airlift out Leopards without having to lease US aircraft and our disaster relief now has orders of magnitude more flexibility and better response times since we have actual cross-country heavy lift capabilities. Even something like another Haiti earthquake scenario would benefit from our ability to more massive amounts of aid much faster and cheaper than what we were able to do before (bunny-hopping C-130's, leasing cargo carriers, putting everything on a slow-boat).

But my general opinion is that the best our 2.5 governments can hope to do is as little as possible, as that usually results in the least amount of waste and damage*.

*Sea King helicopters :v:

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

PHI AS350 crashed on the roof of UNM Hospital. No injuries, although they came very close to going off the roof.

http://krqe.com/2014/04/09/helicopter-crashes-on-unm-hospital/

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Another 350? :ughh: Glad no one was hurt this time.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Astar Schadenfreude?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Come, now. You can't bring up helo crashes in my town without at least mentioning that 206s crash here, too.

http://juneauempire.com/stories/060206/loc_20060602009.shtml

Edit: http://juneauempire.com/stories/030410/sta_570701100.shtml
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20140203/ntsb-releases-information-fatal-2013-alaska-state-trooper-helicopter-crash
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20111031X10241&key=1

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 10, 2014

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

A* crashes are like mass shootings nowadays. You just kind of shrug your shoulders because it's so commonplace.

It was a brand-spanking-new B3e model with 50 hours on the clock :haw:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Have more awesome homebuilt airplanes!

Cory Bird's Symmetry

Symmetry is almost literally flawless:

It is Cory's own design, built over a 14-15 years. Cory's had the chance to learn from the masters because he was working at Scaled Composites at the time. It features nice touches like having the pitot tube integrated into the wheel pants so that nothing protrudes from flying surfaces.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ehnus posted:

Cory Bird's Symmetry

How fast does it go? Every article I googled about it is a wall-of-text with no cruise speed. I see it has a Lycoming IO-360 engine. That's the same kind that is in the Cessna 172SP. So I'm interested to see how much faster it is (I'm assuming much, much faster).

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
All I can think of is how loving hot it'd be under that dome. Only domed top aircraft I flew was the T-6 and at least that thing had some bitchin' a/c.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well looks like it can skyrocket up to 10,000ft in no time, it's plenty cool up there

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

The Ferret King posted:

How fast does it go? Every article I googled about it is a wall-of-text with no cruise speed. I see it has a Lycoming IO-360 engine. That's the same kind that is in the Cessna 172SP. So I'm interested to see how much faster it is (I'm assuming much, much faster).

According to this article (with more pictures!) it tops out at 240 kts.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There you have it. The C172SP goes about 110kts. Ah the power of weight/drag.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm firmly convinced Dulles is the worst airport on the planet

I was going to argue but then I remembered that almost every time I flew between Dulles and Heathrow my luggage invariably arrived a day after I did.

Heathrow is its own brand of misery though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The only time I flew through Heathrow was in the early 90s. It still had those mechanical boards for departures and arrivals instead of TV screens. They also were really messed up and pretty useless.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My flight itinerary over the past three weeks:
LHR-YYZ-NRT/HND-KOJ-HND/NRT-YYZ-SEA-YYZ-LHR.
I think I got back yesterday. What time/day/time zone is it?

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

A Melted Tarp posted:

PHI AS350 crashed on the roof of UNM Hospital. No injuries, although they came very close to going off the roof.

http://krqe.com/2014/04/09/helicopter-crashes-on-unm-hospital/

Randomly :siren:my wife:siren: was talking with a friend who works at PHI about interviewing there when that happened as she was leaving that hospital. I guess the helicopter was brand new too.

VOR LOC fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 10, 2014

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

VOR LOC posted:

Randomly :siren:my wife:siren: was talking with a friend who works at PHI about interviewing there when that happened as she was leaving that hospital. I guess the helicopter was brand new too.

Yup, brand new B3e with 50 hours on the meter. Whoopsie.

PHI's press release didn't immediately throw the pilot under the bus, but they remain pretty tight lipped:

quote:

Yesterday afternoon, one of our helicopters, after dropping off a patient at UNM Medical Center, experienced an unforeseen issue on takeoff resulting in the aircraft coming off of the helipad and onto the hospital rooftop, where the aircraft came to rest on its side. The aircraft will remain on the rooftop of UNM Medical Center for further evaluation.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
How do you even get it off the roof? Erect a crane to lift it off or get a heavy lift helicopter to pick it up? What if the other helicopter has a problem and then you need to get an even bigger one to get them both off? I'm picturing a scenario that ends with the entire hospital caving in due to choppers piling up and over-stressing the roof.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

They'll just crane it off; Squirrels (AStar is too cool a name for such a crappy aircraft IMO) only weigh like 3,000 lb. empty.

E: I've seen two different trucks this past week (nowhere near any airport, I might add) towing trailers with crates labeled "Turbomeca Arriel" on them.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 10, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ehnus posted:

Cory Bird's Symmetry

Symmetry is almost literally flawless:

It is Cory's own design, built over a 14-15 years. Cory's had the chance to learn from the masters because he was working at Scaled Composites at the time. It features nice touches like having the pitot tube integrated into the wheel pants so that nothing protrudes from flying surfaces.

sex

just sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

sex

just sex

It doesn't even look real. It's so smooth and sleek that it just screams "rendering". Absolutely gorgeous.