Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Hollismason posted:

I'm just getting back into the Black Library stuff, I've read all of Abnett's stuff loved it. Everyone really loves this Night Lords books. How are they compared to Dan Abnett's stuff?

I personally think ADB is a better writer than Abnett. Abnett does a good job with world-creation but ADB is just a better writer of characters in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Donnerberg posted:

That's what they're building up to right now, but the Black Library's raging hard on for John Grammaticus means that by the time they reach that scene, John will be a planet sized, immortal robot with eight arms wielding double-bladed katanas and fighting Perpetual demons in the Eye. So I wouldn't worry about him replacing Olly. Unless they manage to restrain themselves for that long.

Grammaticus is on his last death, so they really aren't building him up too much. He is obviously going to die in some grimdark way, and the spoilered theory makes some sense considering the other guy is still immortal.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Shockeh posted:

I'm behind on my HH books, and just got to Angel Exterminatus, and at half way in, I'm sadly just bored. It's competently written, but the characters themselves seem to barely get any airtime or development, and if they do, it's 'generic 40k dialogue 101', interspersed with the usual fare of basic 40k action sequences.

I feel like it's a little my own fault, and I'm being jaded, but this book isn't capturing my attention at all, and I don't think it's furthering the HH plot either.

Angel Exterminatus was a horrible book. The only part that was semi decent was the characterization of Perturabo. Sadly if your half way into the book, it just gets even worse.

Sadly i think Graham Mcneil has gotten worse at writing. His earlier books were fairly decent, but most of his books lately have been garbage. He is also publishing not 1 but 2 Horus Heresy books this year apparently.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Shadowhand00 posted:

I personally think ADB is a better writer than Abnett. Abnett does a good job with world-creation but ADB is just a better writer of characters in general.

I'm a fan of both, but after the two newest books by each, ADB has certainly taken over the lead.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They both have their strengths. ADB does better characters, but I think Abnett has better action. ADB writes Chaos in such a way that I can see why people would turn to it, and Abnett writes the Imperium in a way that makes it work, makes it feel like something more than a meat grinder harvesting skulls so it can make bigger tanks to harvest more skulls.

They're both awesome, and they're both way better than anybody else the BL has writing for them.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
On the subject of 'How many more', I have a IRL friend in Black Library who is typically defensive over anything GW does and generally won't tell me anything, but he has dropped at least once that the Siege itself will certainly be multiple books in it's own right, possibly even parallel stories across books.

(So my conjecture; A book on the Eternity Gate, a book on the war in the Assassinorum, a book about Lion El'Jonson continuining to be a dick, etc.)

Always the one bit of Gav Thorpe writing I thought they should have kept, incidentally; The idea that which half of the Dark Angels was corrupt might actually be blurred by history, and perhaps Luther was in fact the loyalist, and the Lion was just waiting to see which side won. The greatest strategist of all the Primarchs, and the most logical other choice for Warmaster aside from Horus, and he's late to the Siege of Terra? It even sounds plausible.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It's explained in descent of angels by one of the fallen being interrogated that it's common knowledge among the fallen that Lion was just biding his time to see who won.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

That was in Angels of Darkness, not Descent of Angels. And that's from the word of a fallen, so take that FWIW.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Joe Videogames posted:

It's explained in descent of angels by one of the fallen being interrogated that it's common knowledge among the fallen that Lion was just biding his time to see who won.

I'm pretty either GW or Gav Thorpe retconned it so that the Lion is and always was loyal now.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Kegslayer posted:

I'm pretty either GW or Gav Thorpe retconned it so that the Lion is and always was loyal now.
That's my understanding of it too, which is a shame, I quite liked that plot thread. (But then, I also liked the one of Ferrus Manus as C'tan, but that was retconned by the Necron rewrite.)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shockeh posted:

That's my understanding of it too, which is a shame, I quite liked that plot thread. (But then, I also liked the one of Ferrus Manus as C'tan, but that was retconned by the Necron rewrite.)

Yeah stuff like that's the main reason I don't like the whole concept of the Horus Heresy series. I hope they eventually retcon it as devotional literature from the late 36th millenium or something.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have a four hour drive on fri and another 4 on sunday, and id like to try an audiobook since ive never listened to a 40k one. Can anyone recommend some good (or at least bearable/not trash) ones?

I was thinking trying Malcador and the that establishes the inquisit. Are those ok? Any better ones?

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Waroduce posted:

I have a four hour drive on fri and another 4 on sunday, and id like to try an audiobook since ive never listened to a 40k one. Can anyone recommend some good (or at least bearable/not trash) ones?

I was thinking trying Malcador and the that establishes the inquisit. Are those ok? Any better ones?

You mean The Sigilite? I really liked it; the voices and sfx really made Malcador and the Imperial Palace seem lifelike. It won't eat up much of an 8 hour trip, but should entertain well enough for a half hour or so!

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Waroduce posted:

I generally dislike audiobooks, but the guy who does the reading for Betrayer does an awesome job.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I hate to say it because I know it's well regarded here, but I didn't much care for The Emperor's Gift. It seems like so much of the book was just Hyperion standing there and thinking "man, this sucks" without really doing anything about it. Once the book moves away from the planetary battle it seems like he's just an observer. It gave a pretty good insight into the Grey Knights and just how weird it is to be a posthuman dealing with humans, but overall it left me kind of flat. It wasn't as bad as my introduction to 40K fiction, Soul Drinkers, but also maybe I shouldn't have read it straight after reading Eisenhorn.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

I hate to say it because I know it's well regarded here, but I didn't much care for The Emperor's Gift. It seems like so much of the book was just Hyperion standing there and thinking "man, this sucks" without really doing anything about it. Once the book moves away from the planetary battle it seems like he's just an observer. It gave a pretty good insight into the Grey Knights and just how weird it is to be a posthuman dealing with humans, but overall it left me kind of flat. It wasn't as bad as my introduction to 40K fiction, Soul Drinkers, but also maybe I shouldn't have read it straight after reading Eisenhorn.

Read Night Lords and Betrayer

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PantsOptional posted:

I agree with this. It's easily ADB's weakest, probably because the fluff got hugely rewritten while he was writing it.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

VanSandman posted:

I agree with this. It's easily ADB's weakest, probably because the fluff got hugely rewritten while he was writing it.

I've heard this before, and I've also seen links to him not-so-subtly expressing his frustration about it. But are there details on specifically what was re-written in the fluff, and/or how this affected the actual book?

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Regardless of all else, it is still pretty much the best book about the Grey Knights. And I did really like the Inquisition/Wolves power struggle. Actually I really liked it overall, even though I could see that around 3/4ths in there was a shift in the narrative.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

PantsOptional posted:

Honestly the most entertaining portion of the Emperors Gift, was Hyperion's interactions with the Inquisitors posse, and how hilariously awkward it was. Like how Hyperion was constantly spying on Annika, when she was painting, screwing the chaos cultist, etc. Or just flat out staring at her while she showered.

Hyperion is a total goon.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Memory wipe or no, he's still just that goony kid tryin' to sneak a peek at Harlon's private pictures.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

DirtyRobot posted:

I've heard this before, and I've also seen links to him not-so-subtly expressing his frustration about it. But are there details on specifically what was re-written in the fluff, and/or how this affected the actual book?

If I remember correctly, the GK's weren't nearly grimdark enough, so Ward made it so that any poor soul that even uses the words "grey" and "knight" in the same sentence gets his entire planet blown up. They kinda went from over-zealous paladins to psyker death squads that do poo poo that would make Kharn proud (Hey sisters of battle, having a little bit of trouble with this demon, so... we're kinda going to slaughter all of you and bathe in your blood to make us stronger! Blood for the bloodgolden throne!).

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Running out of reading material in my new city, so I borrowed Dark Apostle from a friend.

It's...aggressively mediocre. Not quite bad, though even that might have been more entertaining. Characters have almost no life or depth, and the action trudges along rather than flow. Everyone has one and exactly one character trait. Each challenge is bureaucratic and dealt with in two chapters or so. What, an Imperator Titan? Just an end-of-chapter scare before a single band of terminators brings it down next chapter.

That said, it does have a few fun moments. Having the Word Bearers tease each other when one of them gets run over by a Chimera was a rare and needed moment of levity and brotherhood to set them aside from, say, cynical Night Lords. And some of descriptions of the corruptions of chaos on an enslaved society were genuinely disturbing, even if the author's vocabulary and presentation could use a lot of work.

PS: Kargos Bloodspitter should be in every book. Every single one.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

DirtyRobot posted:

I think it was the change that the Grey Knights were now incorruptible to Chaos "just 'cause" instead of the fact that they're incorruptible due to their own efforts and rituals and stuff.

Also the Dreadknight.

quote:

It's...aggressively mediocre. Not quite bad, though even that might have been more entertaining. Characters have almost no life or depth, and the action trudges along rather than flow. Everyone has one and exactly one character trait. Each challenge is bureaucratic and dealt with in two chapters or so. What, an Imperator Titan? Just an end-of-chapter scare before a single band of terminators brings it down next chapter.

I thought the same thing. There seems too much "Then the word bearers gunned down hundreds of Imperial guard with any effort or problems." compared to Storm of Iron or the Night Lords Trilogy

The chaos corrupted slave parts of the book were pretty decent though.

Muppetjedi fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 11, 2014

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The Sigilite (spelling) audiobook was really good. I was surprised at the level of sfx in the background, especially the war scenes.

the scene where Malcador shows off the gates of hell and is all like th Emperors in there fighting and magnus should have known better was fuckin sweet.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Muppetjedi posted:

I thought the same thing. There seems too much "Then the word bearers gunned down hundreds of Imperial guard with any effort or problems." compared to Storm of Iron or the Night Lords Trilogy

It's not even that. Even when he tosses in some difficulties, they feel hollow and rote. "The enemy buckled under the assault of the word bearers. Murderous fire from bolters and vehicles tore through the imperial advance, and yet they kept coming in endless numbers. Some marines fell under sheer volume of lasgun fire, though." It's as if he notices that both sides usually takes casualties in war, but can't go beyond giving it a nod. It doesn't mean or change anything. It's an afterthought.

Compare that to the slow, desperate tick-tick-tick of lives and territory in Helsreach, of the madness of the terror assault Eisenhorn witnesses. Or the colossal, chaotic, fun bungling in Valleka in Betrayer. Hell, two legions with titan support and primarchs in tow collectively poo poo their pants when the Corinthian makes planetfall. Here, a single host of Word Bearers treat the thing as an annoying roadbump.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Apologies if this gets asked a lot but is there any chance of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels, especially any of them after the first two anthologies, getting reprinted?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Apologies if this gets asked a lot but is there any chance of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels, especially any of them after the first two anthologies, getting reprinted?

Black Library repriting novels? Hardly. :v:
You simply have to wait for the next omnibus to come out somewhere in/after all the HH books. But you can if you want to buy an overpriced reprint of First and Only if you so want to.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cooked Auto posted:

Black Library repriting novels? Hardly. :v:
You simply have to wait for the next omnibus to come out somewhere in/after all the HH books. But you can if you want to buy an overpriced reprint of First and Only if you so want to.

Welp, oh well. Thanks for the info.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Pretty sure the third anthology came out a long time ago.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Welp, oh well. Thanks for the info.

Of course I could be exaggerating as well and they do reprints in a minor fashion.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

UberJumper posted:

Pretty sure the third anthology came out a long time ago.

Available for the bargain price of £110 new on Amazon, there are some used copies for around ~£20 which I might get but if there was a chance of a reprint I'd hold out, it'll probably be cheaper to get the individual books used.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Available for the bargain price of £110 new on Amazon, there are some used copies for around ~£20 which I might get but if there was a chance of a reprint I'd hold out, it'll probably be cheaper to get the individual books used.

Buy the ebook.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I know it's just a big book full of luscious imagery but the writing in Visions of Heresy is loving awful. Who the hell is Alan Merrett and why is he allowed to pen such atrocious bullshit next to such lavish scenes of war and treachery?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

I know it's just a big book full of luscious imagery but the writing in Visions of Heresy is loving awful. Who the hell is Alan Merrett and why is he allowed to pen such atrocious bullshit next to such lavish scenes of war and treachery?

To sell toys

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Merrett is one of the bigwigs at GW. I think fleshing out the heresy was his big project- most of the art in that book and the other Visions books were commissioned for the card game that I guess they expected to be a huge hit judging by the amount of stuff they did for it. The game died after a couple of years and I guess they just decided to roll with the heresy because they had done so much art and backstory for it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I've finally finished the Battlefleet Gothic novels and I'm impressed. The adventures of the Lord Solar Macharius were interesting, to say the least. Also, the books get bonus points for showing a lot of the inner workings of the Imperial Fleet and, of course a Dark Eldar cruiser being destroyed by the black hole powering it running amok.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Libluini posted:

I've finally finished the Battlefleet Gothic novels and I'm impressed. The adventures of the Lord Solar Macharius were interesting, to say the least. Also, the books get bonus points for showing a lot of the inner workings of the Imperial Fleet and, of course a Dark Eldar cruiser being destroyed by the black hole powering it running amok.

Those books got me to start playing BFG online. Loved those books and I am sad there was not a third one.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Libluini posted:

I heard they were kinda uninteresting, will give them a try, thank you.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Those books got me to start playing BFG online. Loved those books and I am sad there was not a third one.

Please, could you tell me more about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

I heard they were kinda uninteresting, will give them a try, thank you.

Please, could you tell me more about this?

VASSAL: http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php
VBFG: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/VBFG/info