Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

My Framerate seems to suddenly plummet for no reason. I just randomly go down to below 5 FPS and stay there for a while. In general I have very low FPS in the game. My computer seems to run Planetside 2 better than this game.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Wolpertinger posted:

It isn't? The non-torchligher path for elf is pretty blatantly evil, heh - deciding to exterminate all of humanity, and any survivors will be enslaved, only as a favor to Julia since she'd feel bad if they all died.

The Human path involves you overthrowing the Emperor and toppling the Elven Court so you can lead all the races into a future filled with peace and helpful machines. Everything goes swell for a while! It is definitely a lot friendlier compared to the Elf path.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Xae posted:

My Framerate seems to suddenly plummet for no reason. I just randomly go down to below 5 FPS and stay there for a while. In general I have very low FPS in the game. My computer seems to run Planetside 2 better than this game.

Any ideas?

Try turning off SSAO in the launcher, a lot of people say that helps.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Finally finished my first game all the way through!

Sorcerer on a Medium map, 85 turns. I ended up stalling for a bit so I could use Chaos Storm in the final battle. Ended up taking absolutely no casualties.

Man Sorcerers get all the good stuff.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'm in midgame for a Dwarf Theocrat run and I'm really hurting on ranged options until my Ark of the Covenant. What do you guys reccommend for a half-decent ranged option? I'm trying to stick to Dwarves, so I guess my only real options are Martyrs and ranged support from my heroes?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Do you remove the Chaos Rift spell by using the dispel spell in tactical combat?

I'm the 6th Elf campaign. Holy poo poo if the enemy AI is behaving like my allies...
The tactical AI won't give you anything for free, unless you rig the fight with Chaos Rift/ Hellfire or something. Hands down really impressive.
The map (/"strategic") AI OTOH, is pretty useless. Too docile, if I were to name the problem as I see it in two words.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Daktari posted:

Do you remove the Chaos Rift spell by using the dispel spell in tactical combat?

Disjunct gets rid of Chaos Rift. And it's done by clicking on the picture in the corner and it'll give you the option.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Daktari posted:

I'm the 6th Elf campaign. Holy poo poo if the enemy AI is behaving like my allies...
The tactical AI won't give you anything for free, unless you rig the fight with Chaos Rift/ Hellfire or something. Hands down really impressive.
The map (/"strategic") AI OTOH, is pretty useless. Too docile, if I were to name the problem as I see it in two words.

Barring a few kinks, tactical AI is pretty good, but yeah, I'm kind of amazed at how.. passive AI is in random maps compared to how aggressive they feel in the campaign - I suppose the fact that in the campaign they have a lead on you and are forced immediately into war is what matters.

Or I guess I could say the random-map AI is passive-aggressive by always offering peace treaties and accepting them, never accepting open borders, ever, no matter how much you bribe, and then running a unit through your borders 50 times until you have hateful relationship but never being the one to declare war, and then starting to make cities in your domain because of the tiny 1 hex gap in your domain between your two cities :psyduck:. And then the whole world hates you for declaring war on this guy, heh. And then they start doing it too. :argh:.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wolpertinger posted:

Or I guess I could say the random-map AI is passive-aggressive by always offering peace treaties and accepting them, never accepting open borders, ever, no matter how much you bribe

I was going to ask if anyone had ever allied with an AI player, because I've never got them beyond peace. It's funny that the AI is ALWAYS good aligned as well.

In other news, how would people rate the tier 3 racial units? That is if you take class out of the equation. So far I think for me the Firstborn are the best due to their resistances and sheer staying power while the Flyers are the weakest.
Gryphon Riders are amazing in sieges too, but they're a tad squishy.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

I was going to ask if anyone had ever allied with an AI player, because I've never got them beyond peace. It's funny that the AI is ALWAYS good aligned as well.

In other news, how would people rate the tier 3 racial units? That is if you take class out of the equation. So far I think for me the Firstborn are the best due to their resistances and sheer staying power while the Flyers are the weakest.

I had ONE game where everyone would accept open borders and alliance invites on the first attempt (except for that one guy who declared war the same turn I ran into him - it was like his default state, there was no one turn wait for a declaration), but it was on Knight - every game after that has been on Lord, and it seems to have made alliances impossible yeah.

It's also possible that my experimenting with making maps less wide open plains and more chokepoints and stuff with more mountains+water like someone suggested earlier and having the full 8 players on a large sized map has made them less tolerant of open borders or alliances - they may distrust people too close to them or people who own too much of the map or something.

My first instinct with 4x games is to ally with the first AI I run into that isn't going to try to kill me or isn't sitting on some valuable resource I want, and stick with them against the rest, but I generally can't get any of the seven other AI to ally with me and end up having to kill off all my neighbors when they start dropping cities in my domain :v:.

As far as t3 units go that aren't class-related Firstborn are probably #1 - Funnily enough I would put Draconian Flier up extremely high too, sure they don't have resists but they fly, are extremely fast, have overwhelm, and just good stats in general - they're the best racial flier and probably one of the best fliers in the game outside of dragons. They're just not used in the same way as firstborn, they're more lethal flankers - with multiple chain flanking an enemy it's pretty drat lethal.

If you throw class units in, I'm not sure if berserkers are tier 2 or 3, but for some reason I fear berserkers more than most tier 3 units. If I see one (and they have a tendency to come in groups), I know that I WILL lose a unit or two if I let them get in melee for more than a single hit or two. Plus you can't even charm them and they're extremely resistant to most status effects, hurrgh.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 10, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wolpertinger posted:

If you throw class units in, I'm not sure if berserkers are tier 2 or 3, but for some reason I fear berserkers more than most tier 3 units. If I see one (and they have a tendency to come in groups), I know that I WILL lose a unit or two if I let them get in melee for more than a single hit or two. Plus you can't even charm them and they're extremely resistant to most status effects, hurrgh.

They're actually the first class unit for Warlords. I agree they're really strong, certainly better than the TERRIBLE horse archers. Although maybe that's because I've only had orc/human horse archers, they might be really good if you're an Elf.

For me Flyers just die too easily. I like to roll in with my army and take the initiative and it feels like Flyers can't really handle when you do that. I'd take Exalted, Gryphon Riders or an elemental over them any time.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

They're actually the first class unit for Warlords. I agree they're really strong, certainly better than the TERRIBLE horse archers. Although maybe that's because I've only had orc/human horse archers, they might be really good if you're an Elf.

For me Flyers just die too easily. I like to roll in with my army and take the initiative and it feels like Flyers can't really handle when you do that. I'd take Exalted, Gryphon Riders or an elemental over them any time.

Forgot entirely about exalted :v:. Without resurgence they would be pretty bad, but they have resurgence, so.. they're amazing. And elf horse archers would be terrifyingly good, just like all elf archers compared to all non-elf archers. Elf Druid is disgustingly good for that reason, hunters having so many terrain move bonuses, having a lot more defense/resist/health than a normal archer, + befriend. A elf hunter sixstack can simultaneously scout the world and take out the vast majority of non-mythic independent camps on their lonesome guarding treasure without having to call in your heroes from more important things. Then there's the whole 'create huge forest' spell which is literally custom made for elves and mostly useless for everyone else, but is in druid instead of creation magic.

Elf honestly feels disproportionately cool compared to non-dwarf races right now as far as having synergy with classes go. Hell, elf dreadnought - get sidearms, use your unicorn riders to have teleporting musketeers. Elf sorcerer - bonus shock damage on apprentices and heavily buffed storm sisters, who were already amazing. Elf warlord - elf mounted archers. I haven't really played any theocrat outside of the one campaign mission but I'm guessing they have some sort of amazing combination too - elf archer mighty meek probably. I hope races get more bonuses equivalent to longbow archers for class units - the longbow flavor gives elf some awesome uniqueness it's just nobody else has anything like it.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 10, 2014

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Flame tanks my favourite t3 (until you come up against something flame immune). Their mobility, high damage and huge AoE means that in larger battles you can chain flank attacks against large clumps of enemies. You need to be careful with the positioning, although if you use the first tank to spin the enemy's front line you can disengage any of your units which lets you be a lot more aggressive (or sloppy) with the next few attacks. I think having no melee strike is actually an advantage as they don't waste actions on retaliation.

I really dislike sidearms because the damage is very low (and doesn't upgrade with rank). They only really get used for spinning units, but musketmen can do that with similar mobility and 20 more damage.

I think single strike abilities (like muskets, cannons etc) are very powerful as they will often let you flank strike at 100% effectiveness, unlike normal bows or melee strikes.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Taear posted:

Playing on Lord and King difficulty, yes all the time. I've found if you offer them peace the first turn you meet them and are at polite relations, they will generally accept. When they don't, a bribe of 50-100 mana usually seals the deal. Same with open borders, after making peace 5-10 turns later and if your relations are good they'll often accept, a similar bribe helps. Again same with creating an alliance.

Alignment seems to matter a lot though, when your alignment starts to differ, peace treaties become shaky and alliances/open borders are more often rejected (unless you up the bribes, maybe). Whether or not an AI is at war with another party is a big influence too and it becomes a lot more receptive when it is.

Good alignment is way easier in this regard, I've never seen the AI go evil* so far either and once you start piling on the treaties both of you just get more sweetness and love points.

*I think in the interest of unit preservation the AI lets guards run and prefers to bribe towns, makes sense to keep its forces up but it does prevent them from differing in alignments, hope something gets changed about that.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 10, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Taear posted:

For purely racial Tier 3 units, I'd probably rank them:

Firstborn. Just crazy tanky and immune to two common damage types and resistant to a third. Amazingly good.

Flier: I rate these slightly higher then Griffon Riders because they make better Flankers and have innate fire resistance. Flying units in general are very powerful and Draconian Flyers are the best outside of class units.

Griffon Riders: Slightly less powerful then Fliers, but first strike is really good and Dreadnaughts sidearm upgrade go very well with these guys.

Shocktrooper: Shocktroopers are hard to classify. They are the strongest racial Tier 3 in melee and have the badass Tireless ability, but their 9 resist is a huge weak point.

Knight: Human units in general pretty much suck. The mariner trait is almost useless and no one is clamoring for average stats. Knight is one of the better ones, even though though they're still one of the worst racial Tier 3s. Knights are just upgraded Cav, but arguably the strongest Cav unit, which is better then nothing.

Beetle Riders: Eh Tunneling and Wall Crushing is handy, and they can potentially do good damage with blight secondary damage and overwhelm, I just don't like these guys. They're fairly squishy, not that mobile, and just aren't that scary.

Now, outside of Firstborn and maybe Fliers, class Tier 3 units tend to just be better. Druid has Shaman, which is like the only Tier 3 support unit and has Entangle. Engtangle is love. I'm not touching on their high end animal summons, which are ridiculously good.

Warlords have Phalanxes, which are amazing, and Warbred, which are ok.

Dreadnaughts have Flame Tanks, Golems, and Cannons. Enough said.

Theocrats just have Exalts, which are good, but not best unit in all situations good.

Sorcerers have the node serpent, which is well, pretty good.

Rogues of course have Shadow Stalkers but that's kinda cheating. Succubus are pretty darn handy, though.

As far as hidden race bonuses go, it's worth keeping in mind that all Draconian units that don't start with 60%+ fire resistance can get an extra +40% resistance through rank-ups.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

madmac posted:

For purely racial Tier 3 units, I'd probably rank them:

Firstborn. Just crazy tanky and immune to two common damage types and resistant to a third. Amazingly good.

Flier: I rate these slightly higher then Griffon Riders because they make better Flankers and have innate fire resistance. Flying units in general are very powerful and Draconian Flyers are the best outside of class units.

Griffon Riders: Slightly less powerful then Fliers, but first strike is really good and Dreadnaughts sidearm upgrade go very well with these guys.

Shocktrooper: Shocktroopers are hard to classify. They are the strongest racial Tier 3 in melee and have the badass Tireless ability, but their 9 resist is a huge weak point.

Knight: Human units in general pretty much suck. The mariner trait is almost useless and no one is clamoring for average stats. Knight is one of the better ones, even though though they're still one of the worst racial Tier 3s. Knights are just upgraded Cav, but arguably the strongest Cav unit, which is better then nothing.

Beetle Riders: Eh Tunneling and Wall Crushing is handy, and they can potentially do good damage with blight secondary damage and overwhelm, I just don't like these guys. They're fairly squishy, not that mobile, and just aren't that scary.

Firstly - it's *then, not than!

I find myself almost totally turning around your order. I'd agree with firstborn for sure, they're amazing as I've already said.

Next up for me is the beetle riders though. I love wall crushing and just like Firstborn they're really tough and difficult to kill.

Third I'd say Gryphon riders simply because they can fly and again are harder to kill than the Flyers. Granted Flyers are resistant to fire and elves are vulnerable to blight, which is nice, but otherwise Flyers die more easily.

Fourth is Knights. They're cavalry with a shield and they do great amounts of damage. I'm using them in my current game and I find that they're pretty great - I've easily dispatched Phoenixes with them because they're so hardy.

I'd put Flyers last. Even when I'm facing an enemy army I'm glad to see that it's mostly Flyers because I feel like it's a guaranteed win.

So far I haven't used the orc unit. I was so disappointed that it wasn't the Warlord that I've held off!

I've never summoned a Node Serpent either, because why spend 3 turns on that when it's 4 turns for a horror?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

So far I haven't used the orc unit. I was so disappointed that it wasn't the Warlord that I've held off!

If your enemy doesn't have much non-physical damage, Orc Stormtroopers are probably the best racial T3, in terms of sheer combat potential. They have high defense, high damage output and they're tireless, so they don't spend action points when they retaliate.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got to wean myself off building themed armies :( Two Halberdiers, Two Musketeers, a Priest, and a Knight may look cool, but they'll get murdered by any half-decent mid-game stack the AI can field. Six units just isn't enough for "themed" armies.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Next up for me is the beetle riders though. I love wall crushing and just like Firstborn they're really tough and difficult to kill.

I think your perception is playing into things. Beetle Riders aren't particularly hardy. Aside from their blight immunity, they are exactly as tough as Flyers! Griffon Riders are Flyers with +1 Res and First Strike and slightly less damage instead of Fire Resist and Overwhelm.

The actually tougher then baseline Tier 3 units are Firstborn, Knights, and Shock Troopers (Physical only) in that order.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So CW 3 is a little easy to break wide open, just don't enter purple dwarf land until your relatively well along and you can slaughter everything else with no repercussion. I triggered the event after picking up the outlying indy towns, building up a few horse archer stacks, and knocked out all 3 dwarfs in 6 turns. The AI do not build additional units at all during the peace section, so they have like 9 units total. Couple firstborn and all tier 1s.

You might need to force a turn limit trigger or something there Gerb, at least on normal and hard maybe.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 10, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So silly question regarding Scenario's, would you recommend to use one of the leaders presented or do your own thing?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Incy posted:

Flame tanks my favourite t3 (until you come up against something flame immune). Their mobility, high damage and huge AoE means that in larger battles you can chain flank attacks against large clumps of enemies. You need to be careful with the positioning, although if you use the first tank to spin the enemy's front line you can disengage any of your units which lets you be a lot more aggressive (or sloppy) with the next few attacks. I think having no melee strike is actually an advantage as they don't waste actions on retaliation.

I really dislike sidearms because the damage is very low (and doesn't upgrade with rank). They only really get used for spinning units, but musketmen can do that with similar mobility and 20 more damage.

I think single strike abilities (like muskets, cannons etc) are very powerful as they will often let you flank strike at 100% effectiveness, unlike normal bows or melee strikes.

I dunno, I've found sidearms to be very very useful - at close range it'll do like 15-20 damage, and musketmen are noticably less mobile than a teleporting unicorn rider or a flying griffon rider. When a unicorn rider teleports, they have no movement points left as if they ran max distance, which means they get in only a single attack which will most likely do considerably less damage than a pistol shot as well as incurring retaliation. This allows you to do something you can't do with musketmen - teleport behind the enemy walls, and shoot them all in the back. Then, on the next round, you are capable of melee, and are considerably more likely to kill them and win having taken off 15-20hp. That's the big thing that cavalry have one important thing they have that musketmen don't - the ability to win a melee fight during that two turn reload. Sometimes charging in is too risky, like being surrounded or an enemy with extremely nasty retaliation, or you don't have enough to get in melee range to a unit that has to die right now.

I mean, sure, it's not enough to take elf by themselves, but it's pretty drat handy/fun, and the +1 racial ranged damage doesn't hurt either. Plus, with the dreadnought skill that has +medal for archers, you can make silver medal longbowmen on top of musketmen - I find elven archers and musketmen are useful in pretty different situations. Elven archers have ludicrous range and the ability to fire every round, which makes them the best to man a wall. On the other hand, musketmen do massive damage with a single shot and can fire for full damage with only one action point, which makes them better on the attack, especially versus big, nasty targets who need to die fast.

Mazz posted:

So CW 3 is a little easy to break wide open, just don't enter purple dwarf land until your relatively well along and you can slaughter everything else with no repercussion. I triggered the event after picking up the outlying indy towns, building up a few horse archer stacks, and knocked out all 3 dwarfs in 6 turns. The AI do not build additional units at all during the peace section, so theyave like 6 units total.

You might need to force a turn limit trigger or something there Gerb, at least on normal and hard maybe.

It's pretty funny how gullible I was on that mission - I honestly did not expect it and had left zero defenses, so they snagged a few cities at first.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

madmac posted:

I think your perception is playing into things. Beetle Riders aren't particularly hardy. Aside from their blight immunity, they are exactly as tough as Flyers! Griffon Riders are Flyers with +1 Res and First Strike and slightly less damage instead of Fire Resist and Overwhelm.

The actually tougher then baseline Tier 3 units are Firstborn, Knights, and Shock Troopers (Physical only) in that order.

First Strike plays a gigantic part in staying alive for any unit because of how damage works (in that things don't get weaker when they're hit).
I guess I also feel like blight is a very common damage type, whereas fire tends to be more spell based or large creatures breathing it on you, neither of which I see the AI do too often.

They feel stronger because of the stuff you come up against, I guess.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

First Strike plays a gigantic part in staying alive for any unit because of how damage works (in that things don't get weaker when they're hit).
I guess I also feel like blight is a very common damage type, whereas fire tends to be more spell based or large creatures breathing it on you, neither of which I see the AI do too often.

First strike seems not that good for survivability because of health not scaling with damage - it seems kinda 'OK' in that it will only benefit you if your first strike kills them before they can attack, otherwise it's just a back and forth like before. It's not like, say, Eador, where first strike is amazingly powerful by itself because it seriously weakens the attack about to hit you.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Also, after playing CW 3 as mentioned earlier, add an Elf warlord to the tier 1/2 challenge. Elf Horse archers, especially with seeker, are a lot of fun. Your effectiveness will fall off faster then musketmen against higher tiers, but the movement speed of all cav archers can really pay off if you get to them quick.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 10, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Taear posted:

It depends a lot on what you're up against. If you're up against Goblins, Rogues, or Goblin Rogues, then yeah, poison resistance all day, although you are limited by the fact that a lot of blight resistant units also do blight damage. Against Dreadnaughts, Theocrats, and Draconians, you will find yourself wishing for fire resistance pretty hard, especially since it's much rarer then Blight Resistance.

First Strike is a very good trait, but it only keeps you alive if you're able to kill attacking units in one hit, something that Griffon Riders aren't particularly good at-they do the least damage out of all the Racial Tier 3 units and don't have any damage increasing traits except charge.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mazz posted:

So CW 3 is a little easy to break wide open, just don't enter purple dwarf land until your relatively well along and you can slaughter everything else with no repercussion. I triggered the event after picking up the outlying indy towns, building up a few horse archer stacks, and knocked out all 3 dwarfs in 6 turns. The AI do not build additional units at all during the peace section, so they have like 9 units total. Couple firstborn and all tier 1s.

I passed it on to the designer, thanks!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

madmac posted:

especially since it's much rarer then Blight Resistance.

First Strike is a very good trait, but it only keeps you alive if you're able to kill attacking units in one hit, something that Griffon Riders aren't particularly good at-they do the least damage out of all the Racial Tier 3 units and don't have any damage increasing traits except charge.

It's than. Than blight resistance!

For me the good part of first strike is if both units are smashing each other, your unit is going to kill the other when you're low on health. It's a big thing and I find it decides battles quite a bit, because I'm quite aggressive with my units.
Perhaps that's what creates the difference in opinion.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
If anyone has been having issues getting multiplayer to work, we've just released a patch with Himachi/VPN support:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/vpn-support-beta-patch-live-on-steam/

I'm afraid that this is a beta patch, so for now only steam people will be able to use it. It will hopefully roll out soon for GoG users though.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm pretty sure dwarves just flat out get the best melee units in the game, but suffer in that they lack decent ranged units (compare dwarven crossbowmen to elven longbowmen, for example) and have a mediocre secondary damage type since fire is probably the most often resisted element (beside holy immunity on a bunch of units, I guess).

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

First strike seems not that good for survivability because of health not scaling with damage - it seems kinda 'OK' in that it will only benefit you if your first strike kills them before they can attack, otherwise it's just a back and forth like before. It's not like, say, Eador, where first strike is amazingly powerful by itself because it seriously weakens the attack about to hit you.

I like first strike less for survivability but the guarantee that a low tier/low health guy that's going to die will still at least get his piece of the damage in. It's why I've been messing with pikemen as my early-mid game chaff unit, they're not much later on but they won't just fold without doing damage when something big swings at them.

Zore posted:

Finally finished my first game all the way through!

Sorcerer on a Medium map, 85 turns. I ended up stalling for a bit so I could use Chaos Storm in the final battle. Ended up taking absolutely no casualties.

Man Sorcerers get all the good stuff.

I've just finished a map with the Warlord, done most apart from the Sorcerer and the Theocrat (though I did play around with the Sorc a bunch) and I've noticed I tend to say that about whichever class I just played. Seems like every class gets a ton of good stuff that's hard to imagine going without until you get going with another classes' good stuff, it's pretty sweet.

Overall the game feels like it's balanced rather high, with a lot of options or combinations available to do a ton, which is also why I'm a little hesitant to speculate on balance, meta or rankings of stuff.

Standout moment in that last Warlord game was 3 veteran thoroughbred Boar riders with some buffs thrown in crushing a level 8 hero and a firstborn.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Autsj posted:

Overall the game feels like it's balanced rather high, with a lot of options or combinations available to do a ton, which is also why I'm a little hesitant to speculate on balance, meta or rankings of stuff.

The classes definitely, though I think the races have a more noticable divide between them.

Pretty unimportant though.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Whoever mentioned bringing back the teleport gates definitely has the right idea. It would really help with the late game slog that is waiting for your guys to stream in from 10 turns away. They could be super expensive or whatever, that's fine. Just need something to make the game actually end in a reasonable time frame on anything but a small or overpopulated medium map.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Another feature I would like is being able to have your hero's race not match the kingdom's race. I want to create a human wizard Saruman who leads an orc army! Or like an orc warlord who has enslaved the goblins or something. You can already hire heroes of other races to lead your armies (or wait, is that only other classes?) so it seems like it wouldn't be a huge change. You could probably already do this with the level editor too, if you set up custom scenarios. It'd just be cool if that worked in random maps too. But its minor. And it might effect balance in some way too, I'm not a master of all the rules yet.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Well, you *can* find a city of the desired race, and migrate them to your throne city and replace your original race, but I know that's not exactly what you mean.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Whoever mentioned bringing back the teleport gates definitely has the right idea. It would really help with the late game slog that is waiting for your guys to stream in from 10 turns away. They could be super expensive or whatever, that's fine. Just need something to make the game actually end in a reasonable time frame on anything but a small or overpopulated medium map.

They actually specifically didn't put those in because some people in the community really hated them. Which I don't really understand. Just make them a high tier research option.

Something else that might be fun would be to give each class a different end-game method of getting around. For example, the Dreadnoughts getting train track upgrades to roads (only costs 1mv per tile and only they can use them), Sorcerers could get the old teleporter gates, and so on. Maybe one class could gain the option to make unit production take 1 extra turn to finish (or maybe just slightly more gold cost) but that unit spawns in the city of your choice when finished.

I dunno, might be a fun way to continue to distinguish between the classes, though it might be hard to come up with 6+ unique and reasonably balanced options.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also, everyone should go Dwelling Hunting. Especially if you're a Druid or Sorcerer who's summoning most of their units.

Giant and Dragons are absolutely ridiculously bonkers good. And if you get a Dwelling early enough you can be pumping them out way before you can get other Tier 4's with the research changes. Similarly, with the Fairies, Just do the quick building chain to get the fairies and ignore the Nymphs/Unicorn. Nightshade Fairies are one of the best Tier 3 units in the game, can be produced quickly even from a Dwelling and are just amazing in general.

The only real exception to this is Archons. Yes, the Wraith King/Titan are decent but you have to build so many buildings to unlock them. And since they don't heal naturally you need to stick the crappy Archon caster in the stack with them. Oh and you need a Hero with an item/ability or you'll have constant morale penalties if you're good.

Late game my Sorcerer's armies were almost all Nightshade Fairies, Stone/Fire Giants, Golden/Fire Dragons and a bunch of summons that has stuck around for a while (a ton of Griffons, Wyverns, and a few Horrors).

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

redreader posted:

This was posted about earlier. Due to <some logic error in the code> only about 10 of 100 items drop most of the time, and this will be fixed at some point.

Well that explains it, i hope this gets fixed soon. The whole find awesome gear for your heroes is amazing.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Is there any way to force units that can both sabotage and climb walls, to sabotage them? I'm tired of seeing my scoundrel scale a 10HP wall even though I selected the sabotage ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Gerblyn, the map thing that gives xp seems to leave behind its glowy effect. Picture from elf1 for effect:

Zore posted:

Late game my Sorcerer's armies were almost all Nightshade Fairies, Stone/Fire Giants, Golden/Fire Dragons and a bunch of summons that has stuck around for a while (a ton of Griffons, Wyverns, and a few Horrors).

Congratulations for living the dream, that of leading the fae realm against the foul mortal upstarts with their foul smelling technology and cold iron. :magical:

Hum... campaign idea...

• Locked thread