Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starfish
Dec 21, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

One of my new houses has a fence on a patio. All I did was smooth a single voxel, arranged them into a fence-like pattern and magically I get this fence that looks almost like a hand-made prop. It also causes the patio to warp around the individual poles, so it isn't perfect.

I'm more frustrated that I can't make a roof with a slope that isn't flat or 45 degrees. Also, everything not a cube shaped voxel doesn't come with a single voxel size, so I have to make the bigger version then select just one sloped part of the block. And sometimes those sloped voxels become corrupted and make small holes in your roof.

You can fix the patio thing, but I can't find the thread that explained it.. I'll edit my post when I find it. (e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYgr0S7FAU)

As for roofing, here's a video for a round-slopey one, but joebob is right, if you want to smooth you need to have it be more than 1 voxel thick to not get holes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1lLdeEJWN8

starfish fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Mephiston posted:

Just keep playing with things. I'm yet to work out how to make antivoxels but microvoxels are pretty fun. I made a little fence and a pretty neat window frame out of them so far. The smooth tool is also pretty good fun.

These four tutorials will teach you most of what you need to know about microvoxels, antivoxels, controlled deformation, and zero data voxels. Most of the really neat stuff you see uses at least one of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0wEtg03mro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgjGsJUntag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFjmbBqN_6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oTGuiHpiQQ

From there it's just a lot of experimentation to figure out exactly how things weld and learn to manipulate it to get what you want. Some of it's a matter of smoothing, but some of it (like the antivoxels) is more a matter of inversion.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just started playing a bit and I have a few questions:

- Are all resources on the surface? Haven't seen any caves and it seems much harder to dig quickly down than in Minecraft.
- What does the tier level mean in the continent list?

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

The main problem i have is that antivoxels seem to be entirely broken right now. I tried creating a string, and even just a negative decoration template but both of them didnt work properly.

Microvoxels are working alright though, despite being a bit messy.

ymgve posted:

Just started playing a bit and I have a few questions:

- Are all resources on the surface? Haven't seen any caves and it seems much harder to dig quickly down than in Minecraft.
- What does the tier level mean in the continent list?

Aside from stone and dirt, yeah everything is on the surface if not extremely close to.

Tier level means the level of ores that are available on the continent. E.g. Tier 1 is mostly copper, iron, etc. It isnt representative of the wood you will find, but most trees have heartwood anyway. Fibrous plants are found EVERYWHERE.

Mephiston fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 9, 2014

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Mephiston posted:

Aside from stone and dirt, yeah everything is on the surface if not extremely close to.

Tier level means the level of ores that are available on the continent. E.g. Tier 1 is mostly copper, iron, etc. It isnt representative of the wood you will find, but most trees have heartwood anyway. Fibrous plants are found EVERYWHERE.

To add to this a little, island tiers are a beta thing while they work on the game engine to handle things like caves and water and players. The planned banana will feature all of the tiers on each island separated by depth, kinda like Minecraft.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mephiston posted:

I think they plan on changing this at some point, right? I seem to recall reading something about needing amulets or something to find materials beneath the surface

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Another question: Is there a way to stretch the cubes you build with in one or two directions? It's getting tiresome creating thin floors/walls one cube at the time (And you can't even do the Minecraft "hold down button then move" to make placing cubes quicker)

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Select tool is what you're looking for.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ymgve posted:

Another question: Is there a way to stretch the cubes you build with in one or two directions? It's getting tiresome creating thin floors/walls one cube at the time (And you can't even do the Minecraft "hold down button then move" to make placing cubes quicker)

This is general advice I've said before, but, DON'T START BUILDING EVER UNTIL YOU HAVE THE SELECTION TOOL AT LEAST. It is the single tool that makes creating stuff in this game a joy compared to Minecraft. If anyone is building things without it, once you get you'll kick yourself for wasting so much of your time building without it.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005

Mephiston posted:

The main problem i have is that antivoxels seem to be entirely broken right now. I tried creating a string, and even just a negative decoration template but both of them didnt work properly.

Antivoxels are very definitely working currently.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How do you make solid cylinders? Antivoxels and the smoothing tool?

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

Google Butt posted:

How do you make solid cylinders? Antivoxels and the smoothing tool?

Use something like this except filled in, then copy and paste the slice you made on top a bunch of times and smooth the hell out of it. Then you can just select the middle (without the rounded top/bottom) and template it or whatever.

If you ever make an empty cylinder make sure you make them at least 2 voxels thick or you'll get holes when you smooth.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hey, if your claim is surrounded by already claimed land, and you delete your claim to reposition it quickly in the same area, will that space you were on 'fill in' as claimed space, or will you still have an open area to replace your claim? I would assume theres empty space there, but I really don't want to take chances deleting it on a whim in case i'm wrong.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Azhais posted:

I think they plan on changing this at some point, right? I seem to recall reading something about needing amulets or something to find materials beneath the surface

Yep, eventually as was stated they will be seperated by tier, and supposedly there will be different biomes underground you can dig to, but i'm not sure if that is just for EQN or if it will be in landmark too

Flarestar posted:

Antivoxels are very definitely working currently.

Odd. The ones I've made, going by at least 3 different guides, have all been broken. I go to select the string in the middle of the 3x3x3 and the game suddenly forgets there are movement handles.

Tom Guycot posted:

Hey, if your claim is surrounded by already claimed land, and you delete your claim to reposition it quickly in the same area, will that space you were on 'fill in' as claimed space, or will you still have an open area to replace your claim? I would assume theres empty space there, but I really don't want to take chances deleting it on a whim in case i'm wrong.

The unclaimable radius will extend completely from every plot surrounding yours, so unless there is a small square in there you can re-claim, then you'll lose that plot location.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
I've found that I'm not as creative as I think, at least on the housing/building level. I think I might need to go stare at some architectural pictures or something and copy them, because the things I've "built" are just embarrassingly rudimentary. I do have some grand plans in mind, but at this rate they'll look like a mansion of cardboard boxes instead of something palatial, so much thanks to Flarestar for linking those videos on voxels. I bet they'll help a ton.

Also, I find the accumulation of building materials is a pretty chill thing to do, and a nice companion to reading novels.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005

Mephiston posted:

Odd. The ones I've made, going by at least 3 different guides, have all been broken. I go to select the string in the middle of the 3x3x3 and the game suddenly forgets there are movement handles.

If you're using a 3x3x3 that's probably why. Usually you start with a 5x5x5 block, and at the end you're using 5x1x5 slices to build a 5x3x5 block.

Also, are you forgetting to fill in the center slice's hole before you copy/paste the antivoxel blank in front and behind? The behavior you're experiencing is what usually happens when you try to copy/paste an antivoxel before it's been inverted.

One of the tutorials I linked a few posts back was specifically for creating antivoxels - the instructions in it work.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So I need to make a pretty big dome with a big slice cut out the middle of it for my observatory...which do you think would get me my desired result faster, making the dome and then removing middle chunk, or trying to make the two dome parts separately? Just working on getting the last of my build tools made and then I'll be kicking it into high-ish gear.

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

Depending on how big you're going to make it, I'd just make half or even a quarter of it and rotate/mirror the rest and then slice the piece out with the selection tool. Domes sound like a bitch, kind of like conical roofs.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Can you only delete your claim if you're standing in it? I'm trying to get rid of it to build it in a new spot (with the 3 claim limit making it impossible to make my thing), but the claim management screen doesn't even show any claims listed that I can click on.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

starfish posted:

Depending on how big you're going to make it, I'd just make half or even a quarter of it and rotate/mirror the rest and then slice the piece out with the selection tool. Domes sound like a bitch, kind of like conical roofs.

If I make the whole thing at once, my line of thought is to take that cylinder-template guide thing, make a bunch of half-circles so that the flat side ends up being a circle too, then smooth the hell out of it. I think as long as I make it thick enough, that'd be less bitchy, but my main concern is that the delete/remove tool seems to be locked to a certain grid...though I guess I could easily select the dome and re-position it around the grid to get the middle cut cleanly out.

edit: I just realized the similarity between this and using integrals to find the volume of a hemisphere. I'm freaking out a little.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 9, 2014

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

I've not really used any of the other shape template things so I'll have to take your word for it, I was thinking something like this which seems like a pain.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I quit this for the most nitpicky reason ever, which was that I didn't like building from the ground level. I wanted to be able to hover in the air in my claim so I could get a better look at what I was working on.

Have they added a flying tool or whatever yet?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Grappling Hook.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

starfish posted:

I've not really used any of the other shape template things so I'll have to take your word for it, I was thinking something like this which seems like a pain.

Just eyeballing it it looks like that's just intersected circles as per the cylinder guide, which is what I was trying to communicate! I'm feeling optimistic. What did you make that in?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Keshik posted:

I quit this for the most nitpicky reason ever, which was that I didn't like building from the ground level. I wanted to be able to hover in the air in my claim so I could get a better look at what I was working on.

You could build nerd poles

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

Keshik posted:

Like someone said, grappling hook. You can grapple to the arrows on the selection tool (when you press shift) and hover anywhere you please.

Trebuchet King posted:

Just eyeballing it it looks like that's just intersected circles as per the cylinder guide, which is what I was trying to communicate! I'm feeling optimistic. What did you make that in?

Google image search. It's from this site that lets you change the diameter, view the different layers and switch between isometric and 2d, so it's kinda neat.

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

starfish posted:

Like someone said, grappling hook. You can grapple to the arrows on the selection tool (when you press shift) and hover anywhere you please.

I had no idea this was possible, I was also missing the ability to fly around, so I just grappled onto stuff I'd create in the air, this makes it much easier.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't the ability to fly coming from an item or something like that?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Not currently, but the live stream last night confirmed that there will be an item that allows you to fly within your claim.

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

Not currently, but the live stream last night confirmed that there will be an item that allows you to fly within your claim.

Was there an ETA, or is just one of those sometime in the future things?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Maybe it will be an item like the Prime Grappler, they will drop codes for a flying do-hickey which end when open beta starts.

RIP Prime Grappler

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Are the bonus items for the more expensive packs worth it? I just want to know like what is the impact of the bracer and the storage things, are these going to be good forever or something that will just be replaced later on?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Are the bonus items for the more expensive packs worth it? I just want to know like what is the impact of the bracer and the storage things, are these going to be good forever or something that will just be replaced later on?

I honestly don't feel like they are worth it now. The only thing worth anything from my perspective is the pickaxe because it saves you some grinding. Also, is upkeep getting a little bit much for anyone else? I really don't feel like playing right now but I am going to have to log in a grind out copper for a couple hours because I won't have time to do it with my work week coming up. They really probably should avoid making people feel like this is a job.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005

joebob posted:

I honestly don't feel like they are worth it now. The only thing worth anything from my perspective is the pickaxe because it saves you some grinding. Also, is upkeep getting a little bit much for anyone else? I really don't feel like playing right now but I am going to have to log in a grind out copper for a couple hours because I won't have time to do it with my work week coming up. They really probably should avoid making people feel like this is a job.

Even with the full number of claims, grinding out enough copper to max your timer takes like an hour tops, and that's with a pretty terrible pick.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Can I buy a plot of land right next to someone's spergy castle and dig out every tile so it's just a huge pit?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

joebob posted:

Yeah its a little annoying. I know I ended up spending a whole night sad as it is, doing nothing but mining copper until I had 2 months worth of upkeep for 4 claims. Speaking of which I'm really glad they finally increased it, even if its only by 1 I can have a 4x4 block and start working on my build.

I haven't really done anything with the entrance yet, that can wait.

But inside I've got the gates mostly done, outside of some more detailing. The rest... well, its still a giant empty box underground.

I'm trying to make a re-imagining of neriak. Even with the extra claim there isn't enough space to do something exact anyways. I'm hoping to try and use as many familiar buildings and things that I can, but trying to fit in a whole town in the tiny space you have is going to be tricky.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Can I buy a plot of land right next to someone's spergy castle and dig out every tile so it's just a huge pit?

No, claims have a safe zone around them that you can't put a claim down on.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

You used to be able to get like 40k copper for $1 in the store but they might have fixed that now.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Just checked - they fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
A high tier pick is going to let you mine about 10k in chopper in about fifteen minutes. It's really more the haggle of logging in to pay if you haven't played in a few days.

• Locked thread