Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I should know better than to read Facebook comments by now, but it's amusing seeing hateposts about how people will switch to Fallon because they somehow don't know that Colbert is playing a character on his show. I had to stop when someone said that Ellen would make a good late night host though, I like her and all but let's not be ridiculous.

Bucswabe posted:

Has Jon Stewart ever expressed any ambition to host a "bigger" late night talk show? Would this be a situation where Colbert was picked over Stewart, or would Jon be entirely uninterested?

I think The Daily Show would definitely feel dragged out if it was an hour long, sometimes it feels dragged out at 30 minutes. I don't feel like any of the current correspondents are ready for their own show though. Larry Wilmore, maybe.

e: looks like I totally misunderstood what you were going for there, somehow.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I bet Colbert will bring the character back for certain segments on the new show.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

Has Jon Stewart ever expressed any ambition to host a "bigger" late night talk show? Would this be a situation where Colbert was picked over Stewart, or would Jon be entirely uninterested?

A number of years ago, he referenced that he could be persuaded by the "money truck" of a network late night show. Whether you'd call that ambition or not…

That said, I'd bet CBS at least talked to him about it. He was occasionally mentioned throughout the years as a possible successor to Dave.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Bucswabe posted:

I think he denied interest in this opening. I'm pretty sure he's happy hosting the daily show and maybe trying his hand at more producing/directing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
No more Colbert Report?

Why no more Colbert Report :(

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
This guy seems really excited about the news

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bucswabe posted:

He look over the Larry Sanders show.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope they give Colbert freedom to do the show his way, but it's kind of unlikely though since both the Late Show and The Tonight Show are ~* institutions *~ so in the end it hardly even matters who is hosting them because they can't be allowed to change from what they used to be.

If they let Colbert just do whatever the hell he wants like Ferguson, then it would be good but it's hard to say how well it'll work once the switch actually happens. It'll definitely be less political but even without Colbert's conservative character it doesn't mean he can't make jokes about politics, it'll just be without the conservative filter I guess.

ShutteredIn posted:

This guy seems really excited about the news

I don't know, the fart joke makes me think he might know what he's talking about.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If he's going to be anything like he was during Q&A when I went to a taping he's going to be great. And I'm sure he'll pepper some of his "schtick" in.

I'm sad there's going to be no more Report but I'm happy as hell for Stephen so I guess I'll start watching.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

CapnAndy posted:

No more Colbert Report?

Why no more Colbert Report :(
Because :20bux: :20bux: :20bux: :20bux: :20bux: ...

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wait, is this for real? :smith:

That really sucks. I don't have much interest in another show that's just a dude talking to actors about their latest movies, even if it's a dude as funny as Stephen. He's not even doing it in character?

Man, I would rather they took Jon Stewart. He's more of a "traditional" host and he's better at talking to celebrities. Plus, we know his show works without him.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
CBS has always struck me as "old person's" network. Is there any way to stream Late Night on tv? It's not on Hulu.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Aw man. Now I feel bad for slagging him over last night's show. :ohdear:

Sad to say that I probably won't be giving him much of my time once he peaces out to late night, though. As funny as he is, I almost always tune out during his interviews unless it's some magical combination. Maybe dropping the character will make him have a better give/take with the guest du jour, but I find myself wholly apathetic at the prospect of trading in the Report for the chance to find out.

The real tragedy here, though, would be Comedy Central not finding a way to adequately fill their nightly block of political humor. I mean, after losing Oliver, I can't really pick one from the pick that would be able to step into Stephen's shoes- maybe Jason Jones, if I had a gun to my head? It's just such a solid part of my life that it'd be so jarring to only tune into the Daily Show for a half-hour and then turn in. :saddowns:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Honestly CBS knows what it's paying for and it isn't an average, run-of-the-mill "just be funny" Jay Leno clone. They are probably also looking to swing their demographic younger and finally usurp NBC, so he would be on the short list of guys who could possibly do that.

Colbert has also been angling for this spot forever and scheduled his Comedy Central/Viacom contracts to end whenever Letterman's did. That's how long this has been in the works.

After seventeen years of playing an insane Republican pundit I think he can be excused if he wants a slightly different stage act, too--not that this is necessarily what will happen. All a 90-minute Colbert Report requires is more writers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I feel like Jason Jones/Sam Bee would be a great duo to host a show.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bass Bottles posted:

CBS has always struck me as "old person's" network. Is there any way to stream Late Night on tv? It's not on Hulu.

CBS has their own video player which is pretty terrible unfortunately.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Watch Letterman steal his show back after 6 months.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Generic American posted:

The real tragedy here, though, would be Comedy Central not finding a way to adequately fill their nightly block of political humor. I mean, after losing Oliver, I can't really pick one from the pick that would be able to step into Stephen's shoes- maybe Jason Jones, if I had a gun to my head? It's just such a solid part of my life that it'd be so jarring to only tune into the Daily Show for a half-hour and then turn in. :saddowns:

Outside the box... Retirement plan for Steve Carell?

Chris Hardwick has no ties to the Daily Show, but is up-and-coming. Could he anchor a show that would be a match for the daily show?

I'm not convinced that John Oliver is out of the question, still depends on how his HBO show goes.

Wyatt Cenac has not seen his career take off like he hoped after leaving the Daily Show. He could be interesting.

Will be interesting to see who replaces him and if Colbert has a hand in picking his replacement.

LmaoTheKid posted:

I feel like Jason Jones/Sam Bee would be a great duo to host a show.

Sam Bee would have to tone it back to host her own thing. Not that that's too big a deal, even Colbert toned it back from his correspondent days.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It would be funny if Jones/Bee did a show that was as jingoistic about Canada as the Report was about America.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

kayakyakr posted:

Chris Hardwick has no ties to the Daily Show, but is up-and-coming. Could he anchor a show that would be a match for the daily show?

G4 still airs 3+ year-old episodes of Web Soup and I think BBCA still airs reruns of the Nerdist TV show, why don't you take a look at those and see what a terrible goddamned idea that would be. He works where he is on @midnight because he's a conduit for much funnier people.

I'm just afraid of things going back to the pre-Colbert 11:30 time slot, those dark days of Tough Crowd and Too Late with Adam Carolla.

kayakyakr posted:

Wyatt Cenac has not seen his career take off like he hoped after leaving the Daily Show. He could be interesting.

This is pretty much the only thing I want to see.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 10, 2014

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It would be funny if Jones/Bee did a show that was as jingoistic about Canada as the Report was about America.

They are amazing at interviews. I'd love to see a play on 60 minutes with those two.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

I don't see Hardwick leaving @Midnight. I'll bet CC loves that show, since it must be so cheap to produce, and afaik gets pretty decent ratings.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^ true. I think it's the first solid, maintainable follow to Colbert that they've come up with (aside from south park/futurama reruns).

raditts posted:

G4 still airs 3+ year-old episodes of Web Soup, why don't you take a look at those and see what a terrible goddamned idea that would be. He works where he is on @midnight because he's a conduit for much funnier people.

Oh, I understand how unfunny he is on his own. The replacement show doesn't necessarily have to be a solo-effort, though, and I won't deny that he has the potential to be a good conduit/host.

LmaoTheKid posted:

They are amazing at interviews. I'd love to see a play on 60 minutes with those two.

This could be interesting. Basically 30 extra minutes of daily show correspondent segments every night? It might be tough to pull that off 4 nights a week, though, would need additional correspondents, and would be a bit of a drag on what the daily show does.

JodoKaast
Apr 18, 2001

An All-in-One and One-in-All of limitless being and self

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'll be honest, Colbert leaving the Report for Late Show loving sucks, because late night variety shows loving suck.

It's unfortunately too true. I am not looking forward to his comedy being watered down by being on network late night variety bullshit. I feel like in 2 hours they cover as much as the Daily Show or the Report does in 15 minutes.

Now we get to have three times as many boring, vapid celebrity interviews. Can't wait for even more terrible musical artists to drone on about their craft.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Have Jessica Williams take over the "Stephen Colbert" character.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

JodoKaast posted:

It's unfortunately too true. I am not looking forward to his comedy being watered down by being on network late night variety bullshit. I feel like in 2 hours they cover as much as the Daily Show or the Report does in 15 minutes.

Now we get to have three times as many boring, vapid celebrity interviews. Can't wait for even more terrible musical artists to drone on about their craft.

I'm certainly worried, but I'm not nearly so pessimistic. I think CBS is well aware of whom they've hired, and while he will not be Colbert the character, he's still Colbert the comedian. Dude's always been a genius. He'll make it his own somehow.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Echo Chamber posted:

Have Jessica Williams take over the "Stephen Colbert" character.

Suddenly all those "people tell me I'm white" jokes get a lot funnier.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
If there is a benefit to this, it means that Neil deGrasse Tyson will have more opportunities to appear on network television. That's a win for everyone.

Other silly replacement hosts:

Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellan as "Best Buds" late night hosts

John Hodgeman to directly take over the Colbert character

Jay the Intern

(Buddy) Cole Bear Report with Scott Thompson as Buddy Cole

radlum
May 13, 2013
I don't live in the US so I don't get any of the late shows; the Report was one the of the few things that have always entertained me, even if I had to use CC dumb video player to see it. It was too much of Stephen's thing to be replaced with a new host (unlike TDS, I can see Jon retiring and being replaced by someone different) and now it will be gone.

I feel we are losing something slightly unique, to get more of the same (yeah, I'm talking without actually seeing the late show, but still, no more Colbert Report is bad enough)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

kayakyakr posted:

(Buddy) Cole Bear Report with Scott Thompson as Buddy Cole

I will be sad if they don't make this joke on the show with a demonstration clip of some sort.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

kayakyakr posted:

John Hodgeman to directly take over the Colbert character

I'd totally watch this in a second.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'll be honest, Colbert leaving the Report for Late Show loving sucks, because late night variety shows loving suck.
Indeed it does, I never watch them, they are terrible.

I don't watch much TV but the Colbert Report is one of the only shows I actually watch!

I just heard the news. I... I speechless. Is this what it is like to lose a child? I feel a profound sense of loss. Do we have any grief counselors on hand?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Welp. :smith:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

twistedmentat posted:

I'd totally watch this in a second.

I like Hodgeman but I don't think he has the energy for a Colbert type character.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Diogines posted:

Indeed it does, I never watch them, they are terrible.

I don't watch much TV but the Colbert Report is one of the only shows I actually watch!

I just heard the news. I... I speechless. Is this what it is like to lose a child? I feel a profound sense of loss. Do we have any grief counselors on hand?

I like watching Conan clips here and there, but I never make it a point to sit down and watch a whole episode (I really just do not give a poo poo about celebrity interviews).

Although I'm not sure how old the Conan clips I'm watching are: the ones I like are the "conan travels" remotes and anything with Jordan Schlansky, I'm not sure how much of that weird stuff he did when he was on a mainstream network.

Anyway my point is yeah, I will not be watching full episode of Colbert's late night show the same way I watch the colbert report as part of my normal morning ritual :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The only time Conan is funny is when he's off-script, which includes the remotes he does and when something unplanned happens on the show. The interviews are really dull and so scripted that it's painful to watch, aside from a handful of people who clearly never follow whatever script there is. But when Conan is funny, he's really loving funny.

Colbert also has a fantastic knack for improv, so his interviews might be good if he does what he does on TCR now and mostly just riffs with the guest, and without his conservative persona there will be less interrupting too. Bottom line is that the dude's funny no matter what. When TCR goes off the air I'll be completely in the dark about US politics because currently he's the only source of it I can stand to watch.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Echo Chamber formally nominates Jessica Williams to host Comedy Central's 11:30 show.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
They're bringing back Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn.

I would like to see Patton Oswalt get a shot at it, realistically.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

As long as Stephen's non-character interviews are as good as this, then I'm okay with this decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXh9RQCvxmg#t=363

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Action Serious posted:

They're bringing back Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn.

I would like to see Patton Oswalt get a shot at it, realistically.

I really liked tough crowd with Colin Quinn. Colin couldn't host without tripping over his tongue, but having Patrice O'Neal and other comedians fight each other over politics was really funny.

• Locked thread