Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Herr Tog posted:

Is it okay for me to skip part 1?

Just watch the anime. The art aged like crap, and all you're missing is a pages of Speedwagon trying to be useful and failing being adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Herr Tog posted:

Is it okay for me to skip part 1?

Part 1 events are very important and ripple through the entire series. And it's loving awesome in its own right. Read it like the author intended, start with Jonathan.

Watching the anime is perfectly fine too, super great aesthetically and is very faithful. Plus the intro songs are crazy hype.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

WickedHate posted:

From now on whenever someone asks if they can skip any part, everyone should just say "No way, there's so many important things, you'll be missing so much".

I skipped part five (currently reading six very slowly) and it doesn't really feel like I missed anything at all.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Yeah 5 is completely skippable. The only thing you'll miss is "Maybe Giorno is here in florida too????" (but hes not so it doesn't matter)

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Okay I'll wath the anime but where and how to I watch the drat thing?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Herr Tog posted:

Crunchyroll has it now. Everything else is :filez:

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Herr Tog posted:

First season is on Crunchyroll now.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

Herr Tog posted:

Crunchyroll has the first season for free with streaming!

Just hop onto the site and look up "JoJo". It should be on the front page too.

E;fbx2

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Herr Tog posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/jojos-bizarre-adventure

They should get the second part of season one soon-ish. Only thing to keep in mind is that every time Dio says "me" in these subs, it's literally hitler and she should be saying I, DIO instead.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'll go against the grain here and say you can skip part 1. The main take-away is that proper breathing techniques kill vampires and vampires can put their heads on other people's bodies.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This is a very active thread and I appreciate it. I will skip around if this season drags on too much. I am into JoJo for the fabulous and punching and nothing more.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's 9 episodes, I'm sure you can handle it

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I do not recommend skipping any part of Jojo at all. Honestly I don't even get it, every part of Jojo works together to create a beautiful interwoven tapestry of ridiculous oneupsmanship and amazing poses.

Also even the worst part of Jojo is way better than most anything else you could read, so why deny yourself the experience?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'm in the "don't skip anything" camp. It's not a race. You don't have to hurry to the end. Just enjoy the journey for what it is.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Same. It's the same when people ask to skip One Piece arcs. You don't gain anything by being caught up faster, but you do lose out on some great stuff if you skip around. It's all worth seeing for yourself.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Phantom Blood is easily the weakest part of JoJo but its also the shortest, and even if it's the closest JJBA gets to the ISO Standard Shounen model it still has enough weirdness and charm to it to make it worth checking out.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

mr. stefan posted:

Phantom Blood is easily the weakest part of JoJo but its also the shortest, and even if it's the closest JJBA gets to the ISO Standard Shounen model it still has enough weirdness and charm to it to make it worth checking out.

The weakest JoJo is still loving awesome, and knowing all these characters make Part 2 and 3 even better. It may be closer to the shonen formula, but it is also doing that formula better than almost anything else, and that alone would carry it. Add on top of that Dio just being the greatest shitfucker villain ever, I think it's absolutely excellent even if it is sticking close to its Fist of the North Star influence.

It's also really different from modern shonen, and I found it refreshingly retro in its sensibilities.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I would say to skip Part 1 if you are really not enjoying it, but Part 2 is mandatory as gently caress.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
When I first read Jojo, I started with part 3 and then afterwards I went back read part 1 and then never read part 2.

That's right, I'm the worst Jojo fan there is.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The problem I have with not skipping anything is, I watched the anime version of part 1. Even though the new anime is really great, part one got super tedious to watch about halfway through, and I had to force myself to finish it. The non Joseph/Speedwagon/Dio/Zeppeli characters were so godawful, and I still kind of resent my friend for making me watch through the whole thing.

Part 2 made up for it about two minutes though, literally.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I got burnt out half way through Part 5 because the dialogue was loving awful. I picked it up again after a month or two and plowed through to the end but after that i wasn't going to sit through Part 6 as from what i've heard it's more of the same. I skipped to Part 7 which was a breath of fresh air since it had actual good storytelling and/or competent translations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Part 6's translation is okay afaik? It's a really good part, too

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Yeah Part 6 really isn't more of the same. It's, as I recall, a little stilted but it doesn't ruin the character writing and/or obfuscate the poo poo out of everything like part 5's current translation does. Also it's got a great JoJo (my personal favorite), a great main cast and some really cool, weird stands.

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~
Why would anyone want to skip over Speedwagon, come on now.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Every time I see someone ask if they can skip Part X, I think "Well you probably could. Although there is this one really cool fight. And that one. OH and that other one is really awesome too. Same with this other one. Actually almost every fight is amazing, don't skip any part ever"

Part 1 gets you in the groove. Part 2 has crazy tricks. Part 3 has stands and great characters. Part 4 has crazier stands and even better characters. Part 5 has confusing stands but are paired in super creative and surprising ways. Part 6 easily has the best fight setups and creative arenas (for lack of a better term). Part 7 has incredibly strong everything. Part 8 has :psyduck:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Momomo posted:

The problem I have with not skipping anything is, I watched the anime version of part 1. Even though the new anime is really great, part one got super tedious to watch about halfway through, and I had to force myself to finish it. The non Joseph/Speedwagon/Dio/Zeppeli characters were so godawful, and I still kind of resent my friend for making me watch through the whole thing.

Part 2 made up for it about two minutes though, literally.

There were other characters?

I mean, I'm sure there were, I just don't remember anything about them other than names.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Tarkas and Bruford rocked.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

Tarkas and Bruford rocked.

Not to mention the hilariously racist Wang Chung.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
JoJo is best watched with friends. I got my good buddy wrestlemod to watch Parts 1 and 2 with me and he dug it like crazy. It's just great to be freaking out with buddies over all the over the top poo poo.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Zorak posted:

JoJo is best watched with friends. I got my good buddy wrestlemod to watch Parts 1 and 2 with me and he dug it like crazy. It's just great to be freaking out with buddies over all the over the top poo poo.

Note: make sure you're friends have a tolerance for goofiness. I showed Jojo to a few friends, and they hated every second of it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CJ posted:

I got burnt out half way through Part 5 because the dialogue was loving awful. I picked it up again after a month or two and plowed through to the end but after that i wasn't going to sit through Part 6 as from what i've heard it's more of the same. I skipped to Part 7 which was a breath of fresh air since it had actual good storytelling and/or competent translations.

Well, sorry to say but you missed out on the best JoJo, one of the best villains, the best posse and some of the best fights.

Goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you hear.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Note: make sure you're friends have a tolerance for goofiness. I showed Jojo to a few friends, and they hated every second of it.

Also make sure you have friends with good taste. :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Skipping Part 1 is generally not a bad idea if they're reading the manga. On top of the art being not good, it doesn't have the flair and cheesy nature the anime does, being a mid 80s shonen manga it is unbelievably serious about itself. That being said, Part 1 still has enough to kind of laugh at things and Dio's ridiculous villain stuff is too good not to experience, so just like get someone to watch the anime on that if they must experience Part 1. A big problem I have with Part 1 too is that all of the fights aside from Kid Jonathan/Kid Dio and Jonathan/Bruford are honestly really boring fights with no real structure or tension to them. Even the following the Dio fights don't really have anything more to them than the basic Kenshiro fight.

Part 2 owns though so yeah, don't skip any points from then on. Part 3 is cool with its fun group dynamic and intro to stands. Part 4 is ambrosia from the gods. Part 5 has some of the best fights in the series. Part 6 has a lot of good stuff aside from the kind of overdone ending and Part 7 is loving better than every other part in about every way. There's something worth experience about every part of the series.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I hope that we get more Stone-Ocean-Style creative settings for fights. Part 6 had some creative stands, sure, but what stood out to me was the various situations everyone gets in where the fights take place. Fighting on a jet boat on a bayou, while throwing a baseball back and forth, fighting while in zero gravity, fighting while constantly shrinking and growing again, fighting while the entire world is on it's side, it's all so creative and fun and goddamn. Steel Ball Run had some neat scenarios but nothing else quite comes close to the unique situations of Stone Ocean.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Aurora posted:

Part 6's translation is okay afaik? It's a really good part, too

The early chapters of part 6 have a really ugly looking translation. It gets better later on because a new group takes over but I don't think they ever redid the start?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Holy poo poo, who bought the thread a banner add? :psyduck:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Fiend Computer posted:

I thought you were joking but then I checked and :wtc:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Fiend Computer posted:

I have no idea, but whoever did that rocks.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hi, Iggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Representing the tarot fights with differentiating backgrounds was radical as gently caress and so was Jotaro standing off with an obscured Dio. This OP has so much more stuff than the other ones and the other ones already had a lot.

• Locked thread