Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

zoux posted:

Yeah they don't have any counter numbers or anything they are just saying "-not, Wayne's World".

Once the numbers are concrete from a third party agency they'll just move the goal posts and pretend that they didn't go all in on the "no one will use Obamacare because it's big government" and you know what, everyone will forget that they did.

"That 7 million is only 2% of the US population. It is nothing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

JT Jag posted:

That had not occurred to me. He pushes Viacom's boundaries regularly. MTV, Spike, Comedy Central, that Viacom. I don't know how he's going to cope with the boundaries of network.

He'd almost certainly have to abandon his Stephen Colbert: In-your-face fake conservative persona and just become Stephen Colbert, funny person. I kind of hope it's another Conan-like ratings fiasco and he has to fall back into political satire, but at the same time I like him too much to wish him ill :confused:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Since TANF is just straight cash assistance can you buy anything with it, or are EBT cards restricted from certain purchases?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

^^^: It's a little confusing because a lot of places combine programs. So in Massachusetts you get an EBT card that actually combines both your SNAP (food stamps) and TANF (welfare) into one thing, although their usage is still restricted. You can use your cash benefits for a lot of things, but it's not unrestricted - in MA you can't buy alcohol, lotto tickets, jewelry, or some other random extravagances with in (including court fees!). The SNAP portion can only be spent on foodstuffs (usually excluding 'hot' foods) and, interestingly, seeds and plants to grow your own food. So you can't buy a rotisserie chicken, but you can buy a tomato plant.

WIC is much more restrictive than EBT; if you want to you can buy soad and pretzels with EBT (OH NO) but WIC is often restricted down to a specific product, so that one size/type of orange juice might be WIC approved and another might not. That's why it's usually flagged on the shelves, otherwise people would forever be grabbing the wrong type of unsliced wheat bread.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 10, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Conan's comedy was always too absurdist for a mainstream talk show driven by viewers who are going to bed as the monologue finishes. I had irrational hopes he could succeed there, but wasn't surprised when he didn't (especially given that NBC was and is run by lizard people).

Colbert's flair for satire gives him a wider opportunity, I think. He could pivot reasonably well but it's always going to come down to writing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Swan Oat posted:

Since TANF is just straight cash assistance can you buy anything with it, or are EBT cards restricted from certain purchases?

Don't worry, they thought of that too, which is why we have H.R. 4137: the Preserving Welfare for Needs Not Weed Act of 2014.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Ashcans posted:

WIC is much more restrictive than EBT; if you want to you can buy soad and pretzels with EBT (OH NO) but WIC is often restricted down to a specific product, so that one size/type of orange juice might be WIC approved and another might not. That's why it's usually flagged on the shelves, otherwise people would forever be grabbing the wrong type of unsliced wheat bread.

I know that the compatible list for WIC is like a paragraph long and is only staples like bread, milk, cereal and baby formula.

poo poo, while we're talking about it: Item 7 is a general list for WIC and The blurb on the right if you click on "What is EBT?" is a generalized list for EBT.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I love how they're almost identical, though one is 2 years after the act and the other is one. Oh, and a change to the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008.

Extra comedy from the use of both Marijuana and Marihuana.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

Don't worry, they thought of that too, which is why we have H.R. 4137: the Preserving Welfare for Needs Not Weed Act of 2014.
I'm delighted they're using the word "weed" in bill titles. Soon we will have the BONG Act, Operation HASHPIPE, and the newest army tank affectionately referred to as The Hotbox.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mdemone posted:

Can we elaborate on how this is so, in small words that people can remember? The older folks on my Facebook (goddamn they have a lot of free time!) should probably be agitating about this but they haven't been exposed to any clarity yet.

The average senior gets $14,800 in healthcare dollars every year, and Ryan's budget sets a cap of $8,000 on that amount.

Fried Chicken posted:

I assume this is assuming an average tax rate, or did you weigh sectors by tax burden, figure out their growth, and then aggregate that for the average growth figure?

Like if the growth is concentrated in middle class incomes you'll see a burst in tax revenues but if the growth was in companies that have reduced their tax burden to zero you won't, so you need middle class incomes need to grow faster to "compensate" for the fact that the growth those companies had won't be reflected in tax revenues, and then integrate these various growth rates to find the necessary average annual growth rate to make this work

Basically, can you post your work? Is like to see how you did it so I can do it in the future :)

Don't write any papers based on this, it's back-of-the-envelope math. It is assuming an average tax rate that remains roughly constant, and that projected annual tax revenue would have to increase from $30 trillion over the next 10 years to $37.3 trillion to balance the budget of Ryan's plan. I turned this into an equation to solve:

010 3((1+g)^x) dx = 37.3, where g is growth and x is time in years. This gives roughly .043 for growth, or 4.3%. That's just a ballpark figure that's useful for showing the problem with Ryan's plan - even Reagan couldn't achieve that kind of growth rate - but it's not what I'd bring to a serious policy discussion.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

Someone equated Bush's paintings with Zimmerman's, and the concept is the same but the execution is way different.

Bush's paintings are imperfect and look like a painting done by an amateur.

Zimmerman's paintings look like a Photoshop filter on a jpg with some hacky bullshit scrawled on it and carefully screenprinted onto a canvas.

Both of them are lazy as gently caress, but Bush's paintings actually show effort. Also, Bush didn't gun down an unarmed teenager in Florida.
Also, as far as I can tell Bush hasn't tried to sell any of his portraits that are based on someone else's art work.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

loquacius posted:

I actually kinda don't like this. Colbert's persona works really well in a context where he's always only talking about politics, but maybe not if he's on a generic Late Show where he also has to devote time to pop culture or celebrity gossip or whatever else. So either he abandons the character or it loses its focus.

The article says he's dropping the character. It's going to be interesting to see how people respond to the real Stephen Colbert every night.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Does he make up his own rate of growth based on some nonsense model that his office has produced, or has the plan been rated by the CBO presumably using the same model and assumptions that White House budget proposals use?

It's definitely an asspull. Ryan doesn't give numbers for the growth rate, he just says that between closing loopholes and growth there'll be enough revenue to make up for his budget's shortfall, which is even higher than Obama's budget. I calculated that growth rate with a lot of assumptions and some integral calculus, but it's still more work than Ryan put into demonstrating the kind of growth that would be necessary. If I had the resources for an in-depth study, I'd account for the following:

1. Automatic decreases in welfare spending due to lower unemployment with economic growth
2. Higher marginal tax rates paid under economic growth
3. Reduced demand due to the cuts to social spending
4. Increased capital investment due to corporate tax cuts
5. The stimulus to the funeral industry from additional thousands of dead seniors

This is why it's possible to be a Republican budget wonk - Ryan can claim that reduced demand won't be an issue, that seniors will figure out how to survive massive Medicaid cuts with the same quality of care, and that the economy can sustain the same kind of growth it did fifty years ago. Because the typical voter doesn't look at the multiplier effect or a senior's hospital bill or graphs of GDP growth they nod along to Ryan's plan. The cuts to Medicare alone should get a lot of attention because that's something people can understand, and economically the plan is garbage.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

He's legitimately a funny person beyond that persona, but it works so drat well that it is a shame to see him move on.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I calculated that growth rate with a lot of assumptions and some integral calculus, but it's still more work than Ryan put into demonstrating the kind of growth that would be necessary. If I had the resources for an in-depth study, I'd account for the following:

1. Automatic decreases in welfare spending due to lower unemployment with economic growth
5. The stimulus to the funeral industry from additional thousands of dead seniors

Wow that sounds a lot harder than copy+pasting the budget he's put forward for the last few years and writing the new date at the top. Also work sounds hard when all you need to do really is cut taxes and stupid poor people stuff and everything will work out because ~~The Market~~

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mineaiki posted:

Wow that sounds a lot harder than copy+pasting the budget he's put forward for the last few years and writing the new date at the top. Also work sounds hard when all you need to do really is cut taxes and stupid poor people stuff and everything will work out because ~~The Market~~

Yup. Ryan's budget has a huge hole where he wrote "AND THEN THE MARKET WILL SOLVE IT." The current budget has a slightly smaller hole but Obama doesn't claim we can let growth close it. Ryan's ideology is based on the idea that if you cut government services you can force them into providing the same level of service for lower cost, but at this point things have been cut so far that increasingly essential spending is being gutted. The average Medicare recipient is projected to need $14,800 of health care money by 2022, the year that Ryan's block grants phase in and every senior gets $8,000 in healthcare food stamps in lieu of Medicare.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fried Chicken posted:

Think equal pay for men and women is a good thing? Well silly lib, the Wall Street Journal is here to correct your so dumb and god damned crazy opinions. It turns out equal pay will trigger the MARRIAGE PENALTY on your taxes

http://live.wsj.com/video/taxes-who...F8-9357FC6CB6F1

This made me cry with such blatant misrepresentation of the tax bracket system.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, here's yer problem.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Have we ever gone through a period like this in our short history where we just had total deadlock like this? What broke us out of it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Civil War.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Monkey Fracas posted:

Have we ever gone through a period like this in our short history where we just had total deadlock like this? What broke us out of it?
Right before the Civil War, I imagine.

There was a war, that changed things.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean the standard half-second kneejerk reaction I have to this is GOP GO HOME FUCKERS GODDAMN :arghfist: but realistically that is going to take a very long time and may never actually happen.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Of course, the reason that the pattern is mirrored in the Senate is because the polarization was not (chiefly) caused by redistricting.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

It's definitely an asspull. Ryan doesn't give numbers for the growth rate, he just says that between closing loopholes and growth there'll be enough revenue to make up for his budget's shortfall, which is even higher than Obama's budget. I calculated that growth rate with a lot of assumptions and some integral calculus, but it's still more work than Ryan put into demonstrating the kind of growth that would be necessary. If I had the resources for an in-depth study, I'd account for the following:

This is why it's possible to be a Republican budget wonk - Ryan can claim that reduced demand won't be an issue, that seniors will figure out how to survive massive Medicaid cuts with the same quality of care, and that the economy can sustain the same kind of growth it did fifty years ago. Because the typical voter doesn't look at the multiplier effect or a senior's hospital bill or graphs of GDP growth they nod along to Ryan's plan. The cuts to Medicare alone should get a lot of attention because that's something people can understand, and economically the plan is garbage.

To add to this, the ignoring the impact of demand shortfalls is a key part to why these budgets don't work and modern conservative ideology. The recognition of the impact of demand on the economic cycle was the key insight of Keyenes, even more than his policy recommendations to offset it. I've seen trying to explain the economic cycle without recognizing the role of aggregate demand compared to trying to understand modern medicine without recognizing the role of evolution. It isn't the whole story, but without it you have no explanation for a massive chunk of it.

And as an ideological point, the schools of economic though the conservatives draw upon ignore the role of demand. Their solutions aren't just supply side focused (and we do need supply solutions because that has a major role as well) the problem is they reject the idea that demand shortfalls can cause downturns. The major insight the is part of the models undergirding the economy is completely off the table.

It is hard to understand why they do this. Picking ideology over evidence is anthesis to the traditional Burke concept of being "conservative" and is more a hallmark of radicals and reactionaries. Charitably, they are trying to use Say's Law on a macro scale when it doesn't scale like that but we don't know why (making it akin to trying to use quantum theory to explain the behavior of macro objects). Less charitably it reflects that those with the supply have the power and want answers that play to their beliefs (making it akin to soviet biologists following Lysenko because it played to the ideological beliefs of the party)

As long as they hew to a school of thought that rejects a major part of understanding the economic cycle their projections are going to be off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Of course, the reason that the pattern is mirrored in the Senate is because the polarization was not (chiefly) caused by redistricting.

Yeah I don't see how they could look at those numbers and conclude redistricting did it. I didn't post it for the analysis, but rather the demonstration of how partisan Congress is.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fried Chicken posted:

By the way I've been meaning to post this for a month but keep forgetting.

So state and local authorities offer all sorts of goodies to companies to attract jobs and incentivize growth and development. (Feds do it as well on a larger scale). All totaled, state and local benefits add up to 110 billion a year.

Koch industries collects 88 billion million of that.

Here's is the study
http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/subsidizingthecorporateonepercent

Here is a summary
http://inthesetimes.com/article/16362/the_real_welfare_queens

1 single corporation collects 80% of all the state and local incentives. A corporation owned by people who inherited their wealth, grew it by gobbling up 80% of the government handouts, and spend that wealth trying to punish the poor for getting help while pushing for more government handouts for themselves.

Aerosmith had it right

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think you could more or less objectively prove that the GOP has become more radical (or at least has more radical elements present in it) than in recent times but I tend to dismiss any notions that the Democratic party has also become more radical as truth-in-the-middle horseshit. I attribute the lack of conservative voting among D lawmakers to an unwillingness to compromise due to a history of the R side just being extremely untrustworthy during almost any and all negotiations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I figured that they meant the more conservative Democrats (such as blue dogs) lost their seats to Republicans. Of course this doesn't really factor into the current Clintonian Democrats that are totally down with slashing public education in favor of charter schools and giving Wall Street money while gutting pensions for instance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think you could more or less objectively prove that the GOP has become more radical (or at least has more radical elements present in it) than in recent times but I tend to dismiss any notions that the Democratic party has also become more radical as truth-in-the-middle horseshit. I attribute the lack of conservative voting among D lawmakers to an unwillingness to compromise due to a history of the R side just being extremely untrustworthy during almost any and all negotiations.

The effect is the same. The Republicans would say they are only radicalizing in response to the leftward movements of the Democrats. Which ever side is correct, or both or neither, the data show that both sides are increasingly partisan.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mineaiki posted:

The article says he's dropping the character. It's going to be interesting to see how people respond to the real Stephen Colbert every night.

It'll probably end conservatives screaming that Colbert isn't a parody he really is saying all that stuff and is meta-trolling liberals or whatever the hell their argument was.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

axeil posted:

It'll probably end conservatives screaming that Colbert isn't a parody he really is saying all that stuff and is meta-trolling liberals or whatever the hell their argument was.
I think they've all had him figured him out for a couple years now.

He really did lead them on for a long time though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man I just want a government that can pass a motion to flush the toilet in the men's bathroom without shutting the country down for two weeks.

Just kind of trying to do a sanity check here- is anything really all that likely to change in the next couple of years? Are we just doomed to an eternally dysfunctional legislature?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man I just want a government that can pass a motion to flush the toilet in the men's bathroom without shutting the country down for two weeks.

Just kind of trying to do a sanity check here- is anything really all that likely to change in the next couple of years? Are we just doomed to an eternally dysfunctional legislature?
If the Democrats really get out the vote for state-level elections in 2020, we might not be doomed to another decade of a House perpetually owned by the Republicans after the next census and redistricting.

We're hosed for the next 6 years though.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The vote ratings do not show whether the Dems or Republicans themselves have shifted right or left in ideology over time, simply that they are more polarized over time.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I highly doubt it. Half the country has totally bought into their idea that the government is inherently worse than the private sector for anything so there's no push from the populace to solve this deadlock one way or the other. It feels to me that the future of the country is coasting on whatever we can drag out of congress while social programs are slowly starved and replaced with whatever scam someone who wants to earn a quick buck creates in its absence. Congress doesn't seem like it's going to change anytime soon and the senate seems like a 50-50 coin flip as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Eventually demographic changes will force the GOP to move left or to be completely marginalized. At least I hope so. In the near term though, nah we're hosed.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

The average senior gets $14,800 in healthcare dollars every year, and Ryan's budget sets a cap of $8,000 on that amount.

Don't write any papers based on this, it's back-of-the-envelope math. It is assuming an average tax rate that remains roughly constant, and that projected annual tax revenue would have to increase from $30 trillion over the next 10 years to $37.3 trillion to balance the budget of Ryan's plan. I turned this into an equation to solve:

010 3((1+g)^x) dx = 37.3, where g is growth and x is time in years. This gives roughly .043 for growth, or 4.3%. That's just a ballpark figure that's useful for showing the problem with Ryan's plan - even Reagan couldn't achieve that kind of growth rate - but it's not what I'd bring to a serious policy discussion.

I always wonder if Ryan or anyone else uses real or nominal figures. Surely it starts to make a difference around year 4.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

Eventually demographic changes will force the GOP to move left or to be completely marginalized. At least I hope so. In the near term though, nah we're hosed.

I figure by the time the Republicans shift left on social issues due to their base not being worth pandering to, the Democrats will have shifted economically so far right in order to appeal to rich backers it wont really matter.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

MaxxBot posted:

The vote ratings do not show whether the Dems or Republicans themselves have shifted right or left in ideology over time, simply that they are more polarized over time.

Here's a chart for that:

By the way, the Senate is currently having a squabble because Republicans are refusing to waive the 30 hour post-cloture delay on a judicial confirmation vote that would occur tomorrow at 5pm with the delay and everyone wants to leave for a two week recess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Radish posted:

I figure by the time the Republicans shift left on social issues due to their base not being worth pandering to, the Democrats will have shifted economically so far right in order to appeal to rich backers it wont really matter.

Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia are reading this post and laughing diabolically somewhere right now.

• Locked thread