Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Inglonias posted:

I'm more curious as to what caused this whole deadlock in the first place. My gut* tells me that a combination of factors like 9-11 and the rapid advancement of technology in media especially is causing us all to just stare at the shiny thing on the ground without actually picking it up and doing anything with it.

*: "My gut" translates to "having no evidence for this whatsoever"

It's partially structural; there are a lot of points in the Congressional process where a relatively small number of people can derail the whole thing if they don't agree. Likewise the Senate gives a lot of power to the individual senators, trusting them to not abuse it to stall the government's functions. Two hundred years down the road now, we've figured out most of the best ways to bend the system in ways that are unintended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Without learning how to take the whole process seriously enough to pay attention to more than just the last vote in the cycle.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

StandardVC10 posted:

It's partially structural; there are a lot of points in the Congressional process where a relatively small number of people can derail the whole thing if they don't agree. Likewise the Senate gives a lot of power to the individual senators, trusting them to not abuse it to stall the government's functions. Two hundred years down the road now, we've figured out most of the best ways to bend the system in ways that are unintended.

The Constitution is fairly conservative in terms of preventing bills from being passed if there's opposition from the minority. Unfortunately this means that there are ways to obstruct innocuous bills for extended periods of time.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Monkey Fracas posted:

The constant banging on the Austerity Drum by the GOP might carry a bit more weight if it actually worked.

Like if it killed a bunch of elderly people and cursed the poor to never leave their socioeconomic class buuuuut actually helped us become strong economically as a country it would at least be a choice. A lovely choice, but a choice.

As is it's the plan where we enact sociopathic policies that do not actually provide any benefit to us.
So in the spring of 2009 Wall Street needed a hot new product to replace mortgage based CDS. What they started doing was going to people and buying life insurance on them. Legally they needed a financial interest to do this so what they did was go to people, offer to take over payments and give them an up front now and in return when life insurance paid out, Wall Street got the benefit payment. They took these policies and sliced and diced them into CDS to replace the mortgages. After all, you can default on a mortgage, but no one can cheat death, so they will all pay out, so they are all AAA. Now, who did they approach for this? People in need of immediate cash, who would benefit from the release of a recurring payment, and were (actuarial-ly speaking) going to die soon (so as to limit the number of payments and maximize payout). Or basically the elderly and poor. The longer they live, the more payments they have to make and the less profitable these instruments become. The sooner they die, the more money Wall Street makes.

Rambling story about how they benefit from killing the poor aside, I don't think that Wall Street wants to end Medicare and Medicaid to profit. As cynical as I am even I don't believe that. I highly doubt most of the big names know what debts go into their products, and even if they do there are other securities more important and bigger payouts for ending the safety net than this particular scheme. Rather, think of the "big" line of Margin Call - "these people do not lose money." Things are set up so they profit no matter what. The economy takes off? They gain. The economy gets worse? Those people die and they gain. Then they apply pressure to make it so they gain the most - think the shorts against the "London Whale" before they outed jp Morgan's position and losses. And if the unexpected happens, like the 2008 crash, they cover their asses at the expense of others (Goldman divesting when they knew what was up) and twist power to reward them (TARP).

By the way, as of the most recent Q4 postings, they took a bath on the life insurance CDS scam. They own the insurance companies so they crafted the policies they sold first, which were structured for minimal payments to maximum payouts. So they applied crooked actuarial tables to figure it out, with the side effect of underestimating the chances of those they were betting against. So since those people haven't died yet it is costing the banks money. So it isn't all bad :unsmith:

She was toast after the rollout, but if they had axed her then
1) changing leadership in the middle of a project is hugely disruptive and could have made things worse
2) the GOP would have blocked a replacement to try and get things to fail, absolutely making things worse

Now that it is all done they can move forward. They only need 50 votes for her replacement, but getting 50 in an election year for "the woman who will run Obamacare!" Will be tough

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 11, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Joementum posted:

Looks like Burwell will get at least one Republican vote for confirmation. Also, I decided to include some of the replies.

I like how now all of Obama's staff picks have to be contested. I wonder if this obstructionist period will be historically remembered.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ChaosSamusX posted:

I like how now all of Obama's staff picks have to be contested. I wonder if this obstructionist period will be historically remembered.

Probably, if any presidential historians are reading this thread :getin:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosSamusX posted:

I wonder if this obstructionist period will be historically remembered.

The Era of poo poo Feelings

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I have to wonder how much of the executive power creep that has gone on recently could be averted if Congress wasn't so dysfunctional. Probably not a lot, but if I was in that chair, yeah I'd be looking for ways to accomplish my goals without having to deal with the obstructionism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Obama's Sexiest Former Cabinet Members

-Kathleen Sibelius
-Gary Locke (:swoon:)
-

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Probably, if any presidential historians are reading this thread :getin:

I like to think that our posts will be referenced in academic texts 50 years from now with attributions to names like SedanChair and Captain_Maclaine.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Joementum posted:

Mike Huckabee has a few more thoughts on the ladies. Also too, the gays.

Yeah, girls don't really want guys following them into bathrooms either. That was a stated reason why a girl in my fifth grade class wanted at least two girls to go with her so a janitor wouldn't corner her again. I'd be OK with dudes wanting the same thing, for that very reason. gently caress you, Huckabee.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Somebody threw a shoe at Clinton. Not sure what to make of that other than some people be crazy.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Late Night with Fake Conservative Blowhard Colbert (Report) should be a given though? I mean if CBS is hiring him but don't want him bringing along the persona that's made him popular in the first place then CBS has a terminal case of the stupids.

Colbert and CBS have already said he's not doing the fake conservative blowhard character. They want a network late night show, not a 60 minute Colbert Report.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PostNouveau posted:

Somebody threw a shoe at Clinton. Not sure what to make of that other than some people be crazy.

Why wasn't she wearing her helmet?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Are Hillary's reaction times fast enough to be president?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I have to wonder how much of the executive power creep that has gone on recently could be averted if Congress wasn't so dysfunctional. Probably not a lot, but if I was in that chair, yeah I'd be looking for ways to accomplish my goals without having to deal with the obstructionism.
you talking in a modern sense or long historical arc? Because in the long historical arc, the concentration of executive power is more a result of external issues. The Cold War saw a steady concentration of power in the executive that didn't match anything prior in history. Bush 1 started to unwind this, but Clinton inadvertently did far more. After his scandals there was a shift in power and prestige toward the legislature both in perception, how fast the legislature would crack down on the executive, and a few bills floated to formally transfer powers to the house and or senate. I remember a few historians in 2000 talking about how that would be Clinton's lasting legacy, restoring the country's traditional balance of power between Congress and the President, making it more focused on local things since your congress critter would have more overall policy sway. 9/11 and a new "long war" reversed that of course, piling what little was deferred back on the executive, making congress resistant to act in opposition to the president, and giving the executive new powers. The opposition to Obama has furthered that as he has had to find work arounds to do things like staff positions, but in the long view he has expanded the powers if the presidency little compared to the aggregation of power there between 1917 and 1991

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Are Hillary's reaction times fast enough to be president?

Nah she just kinda flinched. She's not a shoe-ducking phenom like Dubya.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's not a coincidence that the areas of recent executive power extension happen to all be things where there's a likely majority in Congress in favor of authorizing such actions, but reluctant to publicly state their support for the actions.

You'll notice a different reaction from Congress when the executive tries to flex its muscle in the direction of, say, banking reform.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Joementum posted:

Looks like Burwell will get at least one Republican vote for confirmation. Also, I decided to include some of the replies.

And now the secret daughter is African. :allears:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

paragon1 posted:

"Now"? Is it 1999 again? Quick, invest in this company called "Google", divest from Krispy Kreme, there is going to be this fad called "Atkins"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

paragon1 posted:

Isn't she? I legit forgot where they adopted her from.

I mean I don't doubt that dude is a huge racist piece of poo poo nutjob, but I coulda sworn she was adopted from Africa?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

shrike82 posted:

I like to think that our posts will be referenced in academic texts 50 years from now with attributions to names like SedanChair and Captain_Maclaine.

Are there studies or research into this? How likely will this be when it comes down to internet research? I know MMORPG's got a lot of love with the Daedalus Project for a lot of trends.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Isn't she? I legit forgot where they adopted her from.

I mean I don't doubt that dude is a huge racist piece of poo poo nutjob, but I coulda sworn she was adopted from Africa?

I was under the impression her country of origin was Bangladesh.

edit: or was that another, different Rove smear

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

I was under the impression her country of origin was Bangladesh.

edit: or was that another, different Rove smear

Pretty sure its bangladesh, rove's people put out a robocall describing her as mccain's black lovechild with another woman and it tanked him in the south

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Peven Stan posted:

Pretty sure its bangladesh, rove's people put out a robocall describing her as mccain's black lovechild with another woman and it tanked him in the south

Ah my bad, silly me there have been so many insane racists claiming his innocent adopted child who did nothing to harm them was some horrible family secret shame, I forgot what the truth was!

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Stuff about banks' life insurance scams.

Never heard of that, and it's loving fascinating. Would you happen to have a link to where I could read more about it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Huh, I thought that episode of Leverage about banks shorting life insurance was just made up. The more you know.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

Huh, I thought that episode of Leverage about banks shorting life insurance was just made up. The more you know.

The best part about Leverage is almost all the over the top 'ha ha crazy rich people would never gently caress people over like that right?' are usually based on real things that happen. It's revenge fantasy based in reality.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

emptyspace posted:

Never heard of that, and it's loving fascinating. Would you happen to have a link to where I could read more about it?

I remember reading something about how this was a major issue when they found the treatment for AIDS, as many AIDS patients had resold their life insurance policies for short-term cash, and banks were left holding the suddenly significantly-less-valuable policies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I like the guy suggesting that Sarah Palin should be HHS Secretary. Or any other possible position, really.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like the guy suggesting that Sarah Palin should be HHS Secretary. Or any other possible position, really.

At least she'd have the dignity to quit the cabinet at the first opportunity rather than waiting around for good news to provide an exit.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Ah my bad, silly me there have been so many insane racists claiming his innocent adopted child who did nothing to harm them was some horrible family secret shame, I forgot what the truth was!

I didn't even know that he had an adopted daughter! I just thought the ol' Rove smear had drifted over the years!

You'd have to be a complete shitheel to consider that a real smear, but you know what I mean!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Finnin posted:

Calm the gently caress down both of you the only reason the Republicans will have any chance at the senate in 2014 and 2016 is because of partisan redistricting.

You do know what the Senate is, right? Because the Senate doesn't work like that.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The McCain lovechild thing was a great example of a push poll, not a smear. They asked hundreds of thousands of people in a robocall "Would you vote for John McCain if you knew he had an illegitimate black child?" and all the racist idiots in the south just assumed it was a real thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

The McCain lovechild thing was a great example of a push poll, not a smear. They asked hundreds of thousands of people in a robocall "Would you vote for John McCain if you knew he had an illegitimate black child?" and all the racist idiots in the south just assumed it was a real thing.

I swear there were some disgusting flyers handed out about this, but I can't for the life of me find them.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

At least she'd have the dignity to quit the cabinet at the first opportunity rather than waiting around for good news to provide an exit.

Hahaha, Sarah Palin having dignity. You slay me with your foolishness, Joe.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
The thing people need to keep in mind about the partisan redistricting is that gerrymandering is a moving target. They're trying to fudge elections by redrawing those boundaries, but lots of people move around in a 10 year time frame. Maybe they don't move whole states, but a few miles in any direction could certainly put them in a different district.

The idea that Dems are hosed until 2020 and beyond unless they get control of the redistricting process in 2020 is being overly dramatic. Yeah, the last few have sucked more poo poo than they should have because of redistricting, but people in districts do change over time even if the geographical boundaries don't. These things have a way of regressing toward the mean. It won't regress to the point of being completely fair most likely, but the effects of gerrymandering do diminish over time.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You do know what the Senate is, right? Because the Senate doesn't work like that.

Depends. Was there a push in the first half of the 19th century to make as many states north of the Missouri Compromise line as possible so the northern senators could finally outnumber the south in the Senate? Because it shows remarkable prescience that the Republicans and Democrats were going to switch sides a century later.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yes, but the GOP hasn't exactly had an easy go of getting control of the senate back from the Democrats, even in elections that favored them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Oh man, I missed that part. I can't believe there are still people who belive this.

• Locked thread