Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I think their point was that ideologies still have a negative social impact and making a distinction between thoughts and actions excuses them in a way when we shouldn't excuse them because negative attitudes generally lead to or perpetuate negative actions. Saying it's okay for someone to be racist or homophobic as long as they're not voting for oppressive legislation is missing the point of why those things are bad.

But is this realistic? Even when homosexuality was literally outlawed and seen as a sign of mental disorder it wasn't possible to eradicate it. Why would the converse be true? Doesn't it then follow that the better strategy is actual tolerance of intolerance rather than a fruitless shamefest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I disapprove of Rush Limbaugh and think he should be made illegal. I would boycott his wedding and would not associate with him in public or private.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Why would you buy an Ayn Rand book when they're free everywhere on the internet?

I don't want to steal from anybody, even if they do deserve it.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Fox News accidently waves a white flag during a discussion of Benghazi.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

But is this realistic? Even when homosexuality was literally outlawed and seen as a sign of mental disorder it wasn't possible to eradicate it. Why would the converse be true? Doesn't it then follow that the better strategy is actual tolerance of intolerance rather than a fruitless shamefest?

Actually, the shamefest is supposed to have tons of fruits involved.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SedanChair posted:

I will never approve of people being religious, but I don't want to outlaw religion. Is a "battle" necessary until I change my mind?

Religion is a choice.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

No. These two things are not the opposite sides of the same coin. People are going to be born gay at just about the same rate no matter what we do. People are not born bigot. They're raised that way. Public shaming means fewer children grow into bigots. Won't eradicate bigotry by any means, but it helps. I don't know what you expect tolerance of intolerance to accomplish. Is there a sizable cadre of bigots that only do poo poo because other people don't like it? If hating blacks was socially acceptable would the klan hang up their robes because there wouldn't be any fun in it anymore? Because it was up until recently (and still kind of is depending on the situation) and the only thing that got hung up was black people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Notorious QIG posted:

Religion is a choice.

So is marriage.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

I don't think it's accidental by any stretch, i.e. the part where he paints this as a "victory" for Obama like they were fighting the investigations tooth and nail when they weren't, but it's an interesting development to see them blaming Darryl Issa (not by name though) for the whole thing not becoming a -gate.

Ah Pook posted:

Actually, the shamefest is supposed to have tons of fruits involved.

:laffo:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't think it's accidental by any stretch, i.e. the part where he paints this as a "victory" for Obama like they were fighting the investigations tooth and nail when they weren't, but it's an interesting development to see them blaming Darryl Issa (not by name though) for the whole thing not becoming a -gate.

Yeah, it reads to me more like they're saying "Obama got away with it! :argh:" Like if the prosecution in a high-profile trial went for murder one and couldn't prove it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leofish posted:

Yeah, it reads to me more like they're saying "Obama got away with it! :argh:" Like if the prosecution in a high-profile trial went for murder one and couldn't prove it.

Makes sense, really. I kind of get the feeling they knew from the get go that there was just no way to prove that Benghazi was some sort of massive Oblammo conspiracy to...do something...I don't really even know what they think he was trying to accomplish anymore. This isn't really a surrender but rather "we know Obama is evil and will get him next time."

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Being gay and hating people for being gay. Two identical things with identical causes, which should be treated exactly the same.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Swan Oat posted:

I disapprove of Rush Limbaugh and think he should be made illegal. I would boycott his wedding and would not associate with him in public or private.

You're a good, sensible man.

My only question on BEHGNAZHZI!11 is what where FOX always referring to about X person WHO WAS THERE!!!11 wanted to speak out/testify but Obama Admin wouldn't let them?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

You're a good, sensible man.

My only question on BEHGNAZHZI!11 is what where FOX always referring to about X person WHO WAS THERE!!!11 wanted to speak out/testify but Obama Admin wouldn't let them?

Nobody. There was never such a person. There was a person who claimed to be there but it turned out he was just making poo poo up.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Strawman posted:

Being gay and hating people for being gay. Two identical things with identical causes, which should be treated exactly the same.

Incorrect. Expecting people to not be jerks to each other is as foolish as expecting social conformity. Part of human diversity is being a hateful bastard.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

No I mean "allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream". What does that even mean? Mainstream what?

Mainstream ability to vote, probably. Modern feminism has its roots in the suffrage movement of the late 1800s-early 1900s.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

No. These two things are not the opposite sides of the same coin. People are going to be born gay at just about the same rate no matter what we do. People are not born bigot. They're raised that way. Public shaming means fewer children grow into bigots. Won't eradicate bigotry by any means, but it helps. I don't know what you expect tolerance of intolerance to accomplish. Is there a sizable cadre of bigots that only do poo poo because other people don't like it? If hating blacks was socially acceptable would the klan hang up their robes because there wouldn't be any fun in it anymore? Because it was up until recently (and still kind of is depending on the situation) and the only thing that got hung up was black people.

Irradicating bigotry is a hopeless utopian dream. But irradicating its economic and political effects in the Land of the Free where all are created equal is something that can and should be done. Who gives a gently caress who you call nasty names in the sanctity of your own heart and home as long as it doesn't hurt others? I guess in that sense, bigotry sorta is like homosexuality. :v:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Incorrect. Expecting people to not be jerks to each other is as foolish as expecting social conformity. Part of human diversity is being a hateful bastard.

If public shaming is not a feasible or appropriate way to combat bigotry then what is? The only alternative I see is doing nothing, which is really dumb. Making it not okay to publicly call someone a human being is as much of a victory for gay rights as legalizing gay marriage and they go hand in hand. The general progression is social pressure changes attitudes which then leads to laws changing. I can't think of an instance where a law changed and then social attitudes followed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

How common do you think this viewpoint is and in what situations would this distinction be meaningful in a discussion beyond not hurting someone's feelings for calling them opposed to something they don't believe they are opposed to.

Comes up often enough with abortion. 18% disagree with abortion morally but don't think it should be illegal:

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/01/22/public-opinion-on-abortion-and-roe-v-wade/

e: And 4% think abortions are a-ok yet think Roe should be overturned.:wtc:

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 10, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

If public shaming is not a feasible or appropriate way to combat bigotry then what is? The only alternative I see is doing nothing, which is really dumb. Making it not okay to publicly call someone a human being is as much of a victory for gay rights as legalizing gay marriage and they go hand in hand. The general progression is social pressure changes attitudes which then leads to laws changing. I can't think of an instance where a law changed and then social attitudes followed.

Combat bigotry all you want, just don't ever expect to eliminate it is all I'm saying. Eliminating superficial hatred from the human condition is an unrealistic goal and if that's your win condition for equal rights, you will be disappointed.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 10, 2014

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Notorious QIG posted:

It's still better than nothing because hey, at least they're helping us get legal recognition, but if you don't understand that legal recognition is only part of the battle then I don't know what to say.

I do understand that it's only part of the battle. It just happens to be the biggest and by far most important part of the battle. Actual legal rights for gays are more important than every jackoff in America liking gay marriage. What you're asking for is a cultural change, which will not happen while gays are institutionally discriminated against. When we make the opposition look like a bunch of sticks in the mud as opposed to a legitimate political movement, the cultural change will occur much faster.

Notorious QIG posted:

I guess it's ok to hate black people so long as you don't try to deny them equal rights.

This probably proves my point more than yours. Was slavery totally unacceptable when it was prohibited? No. Was Jim Crow culturally unpopular in the South when it was destroyed? No. It takes time to change an entire peoples' beliefs. Once Jim Crow supporters were marginalized and cast into the extreme of political life, they slowly became more and more unacceptable.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

comes along bort posted:

Comes up often enough with abortion. 18% disagree with abortion morally but don't think it should be illegal:

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/01/22/public-opinion-on-abortion-and-roe-v-wade/

e: And 4% think abortions are a-ok yet think Roe should be overturned.:wtc:

Yeah there are examples of this, such as my own self-stated disagreement with abortion, but how is this relevant to political discussion?

Combat bigotry all you want, just don't ever expect to eliminate it is all I'm saying. Eliminating superficial hatred from the human condition is an unrealistic goal and if that's your win condition for equal rights, you will be disappointed.

Okay but nobody in the thread said that was their goal and I've never seen anyone claim this in real life either so I'm not sure why you're mentioning it.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Well ok, it's easier to "eradicate" an ideology than it is do "eradicate" a sexual orientation. There will always be gays. Granted, there will probably always be anti-gay people (there are still honest-to-God fascists out there after all), but you can do way more damage to a simple ideology than you can to something as natural as homosexuality. See: Jim Crow supporters.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Yeah there are examples of this, such as my own self-stated disagreement with abortion, but how is this relevant to political discussion?

You were asking how common it was for someone to simultaneously disagree with something morally yet not want it to be outlawed and I provided an example of it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

comes along bort posted:

You were asking how common it was for someone to simultaneously disagree with something morally yet not want it to be outlawed and I provided an example of it.

I was initially asking specifically how common he thought it was to disapprove of gay marriage but not support legislation against it. But even then I used your exact example myself in a subsequent post.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

There's a difference between calling someone a human being and saying "I disagree with homosexual marriage but I'm not going to seek it be banned." and trying to draw some sort of equivalency between Obama saying the latter and Bob the Redneck saying the former is disingenuous at best, and actively harmful to the gay rights movement at the worst - we have more than enough evidence that public shaming doesn't make people change their minds, it just makes them feel persecuted and under attack, and as a result more likely to oppose what they disapproved of.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

AdjectiveNoun posted:

There's a difference between calling someone a human being and saying "I disagree with homosexual marriage but I'm not going to seek it be banned." and trying to draw some sort of equivalency between Obama saying the latter and Bob the Redneck saying the former is disingenuous at best, and actively harmful to the gay rights movement at the worst - we have more than enough evidence that public shaming doesn't make people change their minds, it just makes them feel persecuted and under attack, and as a result more likely to oppose what they disapproved of.

I don't give two flying fucks if they feel persecuted as long as they aren't vocal with their stupid bullshit. You're not going to change their minds by being their buddy either. The best you can hope for is making their views socially unacceptable, and that's what public shaming does.

I have absolutely no idea where you got that someone was drawing an equivalency between Obama and a homophobic redneck.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

I don't give two flying fucks if they feel persecuted as long as they aren't vocal with their stupid bullshit. You're not going to change their minds by being their buddy either. The best you can hope for is making their views socially unacceptable, and that's what public shaming does.

How effective has public shaming been at stopping racism against minorities? All it does is change the language used, but is Welfare Queen any less vile a sentiment than friend of the family?

quote:

I have absolutely no idea where you got that someone was drawing an equivalency between Obama and a homophobic redneck.

This entire conversation's been about people demonizing people who disapprove of homosexual marriage but don't seek to ban it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

How effective has public shaming been at stopping racism against minorities?

They're not being hanged for whistling at white women at least.

Cognitive dissonance is easy. I, personally, disagree with most implementations of abortion but I'm pro choice because it's none of my business.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

AdjectiveNoun posted:

How effective has public shaming been at stopping racism against minorities?

Uhhhh, pretty goddamn good? There's still a ways to go but you can marry other races now without everyone freaking out.

quote:

All it does is change the language used, but is Welfare Queen any less vile a sentiment than friend of the family?

That's not all it did, and no it's not really.

quote:

This entire conversation's been about people demonizing people who disapprove of homosexual marriage but don't seek to ban it.

Yeah, and no ones saying put them in jail, the social stigma of the day is against them and we're approving of that. So what's your point?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Uhhhh, pretty goddamn good? There's still a ways to go but you can marry other races now without everyone freaking out.

Would you attribute that just to public shaming? Discounting the Black Pride movement and sustained Education efforts to teach people that Black Americans weren't racially inferior?

quote:

Yeah, and no ones saying put them in jail, the social stigma of the day is against them and we're approving of that. So what's your point?

My point is that public shaming by itself is ineffective, if not counterproductive, even if it's easy and feels cathartic. It isn't going to cause positive change on its own. It's just a distraction from the real things that cause inexorable, effective social pressure - namely education and acts to show the merit of a cause.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Well you've got a more specific definition of the phrase. I think in a general sense an education movement is part of public shaming. They're trying to show people why they should feel ashamed for being racists. It's general cultural and social pressure against a belief or ideology. I don't understand it as limited to just calling racists luddite redneck dickwads with massive inferiority complexes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Some twenty-something kid just called into Limbaugh and said he won't buy insurance because gently caress Obama, and he was mocking his friends for saying how hard it was to find a job and he was like "people are lazy, if you actually want a job you can find a job, I went out job hunting and had a job within two days because I wanted it."

After Limbaugh blew the guy for being such a great little bootstrapper, he asked him what he did for a living. Can you guess?

Service manager for his brother's window company. Which he had experience for from working at his dad's window company.

You could tell Limbaugh felt like an idiot, and the guy backpedaled a bit and was like "well before that I found a job as a waiter."

Yeah bro, sweet gently caress you got mine going on there.

You're coming dangerously close to denigrating nepotism here, goon sir. :colbert:

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Would you attribute that just to public shaming? Discounting the Black Pride movement and sustained Education efforts to teach people that Black Americans weren't racially inferior?

You're moving goal posts hard. Right before this post you asked if public shaming does anything at all, and now you'll only be satisfied if public shaming was the sole cause of a positive change. Public shaming has contributed to the positive changes in race relations and you know it, you're admitting it here. It's only a part of the explanation, but it is a part and you can't just deny that outright.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

You're moving goal posts hard. Right before this post you asked if public shaming does anything at all, and now you'll only be satisfied if public shaming was the sole cause of a positive change. Public shaming has contributed to the positive changes in race relations and you know it, you're admitting it here. It's only a part of the explanation, but it is a part and you can't just deny that outright.

No, I asked how effective it was, because I felt other methods were more effective, as you can see in the context of my posts. I never denied it was a part, only that I felt it was a lesser part than the other methods I mentioned - but I will gladly admit I was wrong to assume people were talking about public shaming in my narrow definition of the term if people are, as Intel&Sebastian says, including the education movement as part of public shaming.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Stumbled across this gem today.

Stephen Colbert's Vile Political Blackface posted:

week, after President Obama gave his highly-mockable “Mission Accomplished” speech announcing that 7.1 million Americans had selected an Obamacare plan, Comedy Central’s Stephen Colbert hit the airwaves. He did mock. But instead of mocking Obama’s laughably manipulated 7.1 million number, he did his usual routine: pretending to be a cluelessly cruel right-winger, Colbert spat, “I wish I could come to you with some good news, but the worst imaginable thing has happened: Millions of Americans are going to get healthcare.”

This routine, in which Colbert plays at conservatism in order to portray it as unendingly ugly, should be labeled for what it is: vile political blackface. When Colbert plays “Colbert,” it’s not mere mockery or satire or spoof. It’s something far nastier.

Blackface, which has an ugly history dating back to at least the fifteenth century according to historian John Strausbaugh, was used to portray demeaning and horrifying stereotypes of blacks. Such stereotypical imitation has not been limited to blacks, of course; actors tasked with playing stereotypical Jew Shylock often donned a fake nose and red wig, as did actors who were supposed to play Barabas in The Jew of Malta. Such stereotypical potrayals create a false sense of blacks, or Jews, or whomever becomes the target of such nastiness.

And this is precisely what Colbert does with regard to politics: he engages in Conservativeface. He needs no makeup or bulbous appendage to play a conservative – after all, conservatives come in every shape and size. Instead, he acts as though he is a conservative – an idiotic, racist, sexist, bigoted, brutal conservative. He out-Archie Bunkers Archie Bunker. His audience laughs and scoffs at brutal religious “Colbert” who wishes to persecute gays; they chortle at evil sexist “Colbert” who thinks men are victims of sexism. This is the purpose of Colbert’s routine. His show is about pure hatred for conservatives in the same way that blackface was about pure hatred of blacks. In order to justify their racism, racists had to create a false perception of blacks; in the same way, Colbert and his audience can justify their racism only by creating a false perception of conservatives.

This is why Colbert is such an effective weapon for the left. Unlike Stewart, whose mockery is no different in kind from Greg Gutfeld’s on the other side, Colbert’s shtick is of a different sort: it’s based on creation of a character who doesn’t exist, but the audience is supposed to believe does exist in type. “Colbert” may not be real, but his audience thinks that Colbert’s Conservativeface resembles reality closely enough to suffice as a stand-in for conservatism. Which means that when they do encounter conservatism, they’re firmly convinced they’re looking at “Colbert-ism” in disguise.

It is nearly impossible to watch an episode of The Colbert Report without coming away with a viscerally negative response to conservatives. That’s because if conservatives were all like “Colbert,” they would be worthy of such a response. Colbert’s routine is designed to convince millions of Americans, especially young people, that the real fakery comes from genuine conservatives, who are all as morally ignorant and repulsive on the inside as Colbert’s character is on the surface.

CBS knows that. That’s likely why they aren’t bringing “Colbert” along with Colbert – it’s too offputting, too niche. Instead, they’ll hope that Colbert without the political blackface can be just as entertaining. The problem is this: will 50% of CBS’ audience simply go amnesiac on Colbert’s career-making hate?
:ironicat: begins from the very first sentence.
:cry: Making fun of conservatives is worse than black-face you guys!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

quote:

Unlike Stewart, whose mockery is no different in kind from Greg Gutfeld’s on the other side

I googled this guy to see some Stewart-esque hilarious mockings. I guess the joke is that conservatives don't find Jon Stewart funny?

Because Greg Gutfeld is really not funny at all.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Whereupon Limbaugh redefines McCarthyism

quote:

RUSH: Grab sound bites 14 and 15. This IRS business is amazing. Let's review. And, by the way, this McCarthyism business, remember, it's in movies all the time. You remember the movie The Way We Were? (interruption) Well, who was in it, then? Okay, Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford. It was all about McCarthyism. The media loves it. It's like Alger Hiss.

The low-information voters know what McCarthyism is and they know who Alger Hiss is. (interruption) Yes, they do. Whenever a Democrat is under the microscope, it's always McCarthyism. (interruption) Well, okay, people that are calling 911 when McDonald's doesn't have McNuggets mind it know who Hiss is, but they think they know what McCarthyism is. Let's review here.

The IRS has been asking American citizens who are trying to get a tax exemption, "Are you now or have you ever been a supporter of the Tea Party?" and that's not McCarthyism. No. The congressman investigating that abuse, they are accused of McCarthyism. So McCarthyism has become the quest for truth of Democrat corruption. That's the new definition of McCarthyism.

Whenever you try to find the truth of Democrat Party corruption, that's McCarthyism and racism 'cause you're not entitled to do that. But this is what the Democrats do. When they get caught red-handed in acts of corruption like Cummings was just caught colluding with Lois Lerner, they start saying the most outrageous thing they can think of try to change the subject.

Cummings and pretty much every one of the members of the Congressional Black Caucasians are experts, masters of this. They are masters of throwing around the most radical, crazy accusations to deflect everybody or distract everybody's attention. I think Cummings even called Issa un-American for pursuing this, couple weeks ago. Cummings said Issa was un-American.

Now he's accusing him of McCarthyism. Meanwhile, nobody knows what McCarthyism really is because a bunch of it was trumped up.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/10/cummings_caught_in_cahoots_with_lerner

The rest of the program was Limbaugh bitching non-stop about how the GOP are labeled as racists

Eric Holder, while standing within a foot of Al Sharpton, posted:

I have been proud to stand alongside of you in supporting efforts to advance the cause of justice that has always been at the center of this , this administrations work I am pleased to note that the last five years have been defined by significant strides and lasting reforms, even in the face, even in the face, of unprecedented, unwarranted ugly adversity. And if you don't believe that, you look at the way ...forget about me... forget about me , you look at the way the Attorney General of the United States was treated yesterday by a House committee. Had nothing to do with me what Attorney General has ever had to deal with that kind of treatment? What President has ever had to deal with that kind of treatment.

quote:

RUSH: You know who got bullied yesterday was Eric Holder. Eric Holder. Yes, he got bullied by a racist, Louie Gohmert. That's the spin on that story yesterday from none other than Holder. Holder showed up... Here you've got a guy, Al Sharpton, who has this group called the National Action Network, which exists because of racist shakedowns of businesses, racial shakedowns.

And here's the Reverend Sharpton who may or may not have been an informant. The latest we have here is that he was caught by the FBI dealing or using cocaine seven months before any mob ties developed and that he was flipped into a mob informant because he faced the cocaine business. Anyway, he has an undeniable criminal past and criminal linkage.

So they asked President Obama, "Well, what are you doing going there?"

"Oh, no, no. We don't pay attention to what happened in the past. That's irrelevant. The history doesn’t matter. This is wonderful event, and we respect Reverend Sharpton immediately and totally. What happened in the past, that doesn't matter."

"Oh, so what Bush did in his eight years doesn't matter then?

"Well, no, not exactly. What Bush did is all that matters. But what the Reverend Sharpton did? No, no. That's of no concern.

From the Washington Examiner: "Obama Unconcerned About Al Sharpton's History with the FBI and the Mafia." I'm telling you, it's a fitting place for Holder to make his remarks about Louie Gohmert. Wherever this was, whatever hotel Sharpton's meeting is held at, it's "the house that racial shakedowns built." The National Action Network is the house that racial shakedowns built. And it was happening at the same time the Reverend Jackson was conducting similar business for the Monochrome Coalition.

"For the record, according to media reports, NAN has been allowed to skirt paying $1.9 million in back taxes..." Listen to this list of things here. Sharpton's National Action Network, the House that racial shakedowns built, owes nearly $2 million in back taxes and they have for years, taxes and penalties. This is since 2006. For eight years they have floated on this! Can you? Can you float eight years owing the IRS $2 million?

Yeah, ask Lois Lerner about it. She's coming up. So, I mean, at this point I don't even think it would do any good for Sharpton to call Tax Defense Partners. Nobody has any expirience here in dealing with somebody who's been floated by the IRS for eight years owing $2 million. Maybe they could help; I don't know. But I don't know anybody else who's been allowed to float like this.

But that's not it. "After it was found to have improperly reported the taxes NAN owed. And according to other reports, the Reverend Al also still owes more than $888,000 in personal debts related to his failed 2004 presidential campaign, as well as more than $100,000 in related debts to the federal government. " So there's a lot of debt that the National Action Network and Al Sharpton personally seem to not to have to be worried about.

And these minor details are not gonna keep Obama from speaking once again at the annual confab. Right here it is: "Obama Unconcerned By Sharpton's History with the FBI and the Mafia -- President Obama isn't worried about the Rev. Al Sharpton's history as an FBI informant with ties to the mafia, his spokesman said, and doesn't think that the news makes his impending visit to Sharpton's National Action Network awkward.

"'Rev. Sharpton and the National Action Network have made significant contributions to civil rights efforts, and the president looks forward to appearing at the conference,' White House [spokeskid] Jay Carney ... The New York Daily News says that 'Sharpton allegedly became an FBI informant after he was caught on tape with a drug kingpin discussing cocaine deals.'"

That takes us back us to Eric Holder, who appeared at Sharpton's house that racial shakedowns built, the National Action Network. Holder went over there after being grilled by the House committee, the Judiciary Committee, and we played for you the sound bites of how that went yesterday.
This is another teachable moment. When Holder was named attorney general by Obama in 2009 or whenever it happened (maybe late 2008, but whenever happened), you remember this. All of these inside-the-Beltway Republicans and even some conservative judicial intellectuals raced to the microphones to announce their full support for Holder. They said that it was a good nomination, that he was a good guy, that Holder was the right guy and this was a pleasing surprise.

We all knew what it was from the get-go. It was suck-up! If anybody was being intellectually honest, this is the guy who engineered the pardon for Marc Rich. This is the guy that was intimately involved with others of those, with the Puerto Rican terrorist group. Anybody who really thought that Eric Holder was one of the best choices anybody could have ever made was simply sucking up and trying to get the word out:

"Hey! Hey! I'm not a racist! Hey! Hey! I'm a cool guy! Hey! Hey! Don't hate me! I know you don't like Republicans, but I'm not your enemy." That's all that was, and look what it got 'em. It never gets 'em anything. Republicans try to practice tolerance, and forgiveness, and openness, and acceptance, and it gets them nothing.

I can't tell you how shocked I was at the Republican inside-the-Beltway judicial intellectual approval of Holder as the choice. That was one of the early signs that I knew we were in for a long winter. That was one of the first indications I had there wasn't gonna be any principled opposition to Obama anywhere at any time.

Then he defended Alberto Gonzalez because why the gently caress not

quote:

Let's go back and listen to flashbacks of Democrats and the way they've treated former attorneys general. Here's Patrick Leahy, Senator Depends, Senator "Leaky" Leahy. It's January 18, 2007. It's a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, and the attorney general is Alberto Gonzales. He testified, and just listen to this. What would we call this, respect for the attorney general?

LEAHY: We knew drat well if he went to Canada he wouldn't be tortured. He'd be held; he'd be investigated. We also knew drat well if he went to Syria, he'd be tortured. And it's beneath the dignity of this country, a country that has always been a beacon of human rights, to send somebody to another country to be tortured.

GONZALES: Before you get more upset, perhaps you should wait to receive the briefing be --

LEAHY: How long?

GONZALES: I'm hoping that we can get to the information next week.

RUSH: So Leahy cursing as Gonzales over supposedly torture. He hadn't even seen a report yet on it. But the Democrats had decided that Gonzales and the United States and Bush were guilty of torture, so it didn't matter what the report said. It was time to launch. Albert Gonzales was harmless. He didn't politicize anything. He was practically invisible as the attorney general.

But they had to destroy him, and they did everything they could to try.
Hey he only authorized torture. Lighten up libs :smuggo:

Back to racism though

quote:

RUSH: Here's Dingy Harry in 2007, March. There was an all-out effort by the Democrat Party to get rid of Alberto Gonzales.

REID: It's unethical, it's immoral, and I believe it's illegal, and Gonzales should be fired or he should resign.

RUSH: Should be fired or should resign. It's fascinating to me to watch this stuff. It's so eye-opening for people. All of this to me serves as a series of teachable moments. I know it's hard to let people know what kind of people they've elected and who they've elected have appointed. But, you know, here's another thing, folks. I don't say this just throwing it off.

How is a parent supposed to teach a child responsibility when the leaders of our nation don't accept any responsibility for anything they do? How is a young child to learn any when the leaders of our nation blame everything on racism? Holder went there yesterday, and Obama does it I don't know how often. It's too much to count.

The media, the Democrat Party, virtually every word uttered about Obama -- if it's not in high praise -- is labeled racism. It's labeled bigotry. If the leaders of the nation are gonna reduce themselves to that kind of childishness, what kind of example does it set? And it does set an example. There is no doubt in my mind. I knew it was going to happen. It was one of the early warning signs, if you will -- or early warning signals -- that racial relations have deteriorated in the last five years.

They have not gotten better, and I'm convinced that a sizable percentage of the people that voted for Obama in 2008 thought they were voting to end racism, or at least they hoped they were. They thought by voting for a black man, the first African-American president, they would sweep away all the detritus and the vestiges of slavery from all of those years and we could finally put it behind us and unite.

I'm convinced that's what millions of people that voted for Obama thought they were helping happen -- and instead, racial strife in this country has gotten worse. A whole new generation of people is being taught that every white person doesn't like black people because of race, and that's horrible. Look at Hank Aaron. I mentioned this yesterday. I cannot tell you how seriously depressing that was.

I grew up loving Hank Aaron. I'm like every other kid. I wanted to play Major League Baseball. I wished I was good enough. When I was a kid, I played baseball every chance I got, and when I tried out for the high school baseball team and didn't make it, that blew my world up for a while. It just destroyed me. I had to deal with the fact, "Maybe I'm not as good as I think."

I'd been in all the youth leagues, and I'd gotten by. But, man, Henry Aaron and that home-run quest? Going to St. Louis when the Braves were in town to play the Cardinals? And then I lived in Pittsburgh and the Braves would come to town, and I'd go watch Pirates and Braves when Aaron was playing.

Then Henry Aaron yesterday comes out and says (summarized), "Well, the only difference of KKK then and today is that they're wearing stand for white shirts and suit and ties and so forth." That sends a message to all kinds of people who, like me, respected and idolized Hank Aaron. So now you have the attorney general, "Oh, yeah, yeah! It was racism yesterday with Louie Gohmert.

"That was all kinds of racism. Can you believe the attorney general had to face that?"
Obama resides to it, falls to it all the time, and the media does as well, and it's not helping any. It's making it worse. Any criticism of Obama is immediately labeled racism. So, the racial divide's growing. It's the exact opposite of what millions of people who voted for Obama hoped would happen.

Nobody will ever convince me... Let me put a different way. I am certain that millions of people voted for Obama for one reason only, and they couldn't have cared less about policy. They hoped that they were making a statement that would heal the country, and look what's happened. So now the number one law enforcement person in the country, the attorney general United States does this?

It was an oversight committee hearing. He was not attacked. He was not approached racially in any way, shape, manner, or form. But he chalks it all up to racism. It's unnecessary. It's a shame. In truth, you know what all this really is? This is five years of a lost opportunity. Barack Obama had a singular opportunity after he was elected, and I made this point when I made my CPAC speech, my frst ever nationally televised address to the nation.

Barack Obama, as the first black president of this country, had an opportunity to heal this country like no other president before him ever had. Barack Obama could have, in these past five years, done more to promote racial harmony than any other president, and he has done just the exact opposite. That's because, as an Alinskyite, that's all he knows.

He is not a unifier, and he is not a leader in that sense. So the first African-American president has, sadly, resorted to exacerbating racial tension. And he's got an attorney general who is helping him. The first time was not yesterday. It was blowing off the New Black Panther case, and then openly saying the Justice Department is not gonna be used anymore to prosecute "my people," or "our people," or whatever it was he said.

Everybody understood what he meant.

So we've been set back.

It's gonna take even more time now just to make up the ground that we've lost in the last five years.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/10/holder_cries_racism_at_sharpton_confab
In summation: Liberals are the real racists

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It must be the ultimate in blueballs to have had to sit and support Bush through poo poo like "Mission Accomplished" and then never get the chance to get any sort of comeuppance on your foes. I suppose that's what would cause someone to act like a website not working for a month is a treasonous offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

moths posted:

I googled this guy to see some Stewart-esque hilarious mockings. I guess the joke is that conservatives don't find Jon Stewart funny?

Because Greg Gutfeld is really not funny at all.

I love that Greg gutfield is so not cool and so not funny he had to make a book to tell every one that he is actually cool and they are the uncool ones. Thus making him probably the lamest guy in history.