Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
1. Sorry about your lovely penalty. Laugh at the player, who is hopefully crying John Terry style.
2. Continue as long as it's not dangerous, make a note in your match report.
3. I think you have to abandon the match here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
1) No retake, unlucky
2) Depends on the light levels, if it's light enough carry on, if it's properly going dark, you can't continue.
3) If the ball doesn't meet FIFA regulations, the match must be abandoned.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Trin Tragula posted:

I've been on more than one pitch that's well within clogging distance of deep and/or flowing water. If the nearest player can't grab the net on a stick in time (or if it's at the place where there's a tall-enough-but-not-that-tall fence protecting a giant reservoir) the football just disappears and you never see it again. Never lost more than two balls at the same match, but if each side only brings one each...

Yeah actually that makes sense. I've never had to deal with actual rivers; this is specifically the pitch I had in mind reading that question:

I'm pretty sure there used to be a net set up, but only tattered remnants testify to its existence. On average, you're good for about one ball going in those woods per game. Usually though you can send a bench player in and he'll come up with a ball (even if it's not the one he went in after)

edit:

Keith Hackett's Verdict posted:

1) Play on: there's no reason to order a retake. No one is at fault here other than the penalty taker. He slipped and scuffed his shot – and the fact that he did not directly make contact with the ball is irrelevant. It is enough that his kick caused the ball to move forward.
Thanks to Richard Gibbon.
2) The managers are right to suspect that the authorities would order a replay in these circumstances, and their reluctance to go through it all again in a busy season is understandable. However, it is your decision, not theirs. You need to judge it on whether a) there is enough visibility to avoid it being a farce; b) whether there is any risk to player safety; c) whether it is reasonable to have half the shoot-out played in very different conditions; and d) whether the paying public can see it properly. I would complete the shoot-out if at all possible, then leave it to the authorities to determine whether or not the result stands. Thanks to Patrick Finnis.
3) You cannot go ahead: a size 5 ball is mandatory in senior football. Delay the re-start in the hope that staff can recover one of the balls from outside the stadium. If they cannot, you have to abandon.
Jason Chau wins the shirt.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Replaying the entire match after a stoppage during the shootout is 100% idiotic. What FA would actually do that?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Captain Trips posted:

Replaying the entire match after a stoppage during the shootout is 100% idiotic. What FA would actually do that?

Bet the SFA would give it a try.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh yeah, this thing:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/03/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

1) unsportsmanlike conduct. Yellow card booking. Note in match report
2) play to the whistle. Goal stands
3) play it like you saw it. Punch your linesmen in the face.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1. Tell the blue guy to cool it and suggest to the red guy that a better haircut might help with the rumors.
2. Break up the fight, then pretend you blew the whistle before the shot went in. If somebody argues, let the fight start again.
3. Just leave.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think Paul Trevillion thought Arthur Darville was the killer on Broadchurch.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

The first one is basically Le Saux / Fowler again, isn't it?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
1) send him offinabus
2) no goal
3) death penalty

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
1) That is vague as hell since wording and context are kind of important but at least a booking for unsporting behaviour.
2) No goal, send off brawlers. I like that this question is basically "someone does something before you have chance to blow your whistle, does it still count?" because the answer is always no, it does not.
3) Get better assistants, stick with your instincts, no goal.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
1. Get behind the gay footballer
2. Play to the whistle
3. Literally murder your linesmen

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Soulex posted:

1) unsportsmanlike conduct. Yellow card booking. Note in match report
2) play to the whistle. Goal stands
3) play it like you saw it. Punch your linesmen in the face.

This.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

1) Tell Phil Neville to stop being a bitch about it, unsportsman like conduct to the offender, yellow card.
2) Kill yourself for being slower to your whistle than the keeper is react and start running out. Assuming "brawl" really means fighting, use your own blood to give both players a red. Goal stands.
3) You only suspect, can't call what you don't know. Again, kill yourself for not noticing that one of your sideline refs is on the wrong side, but be sure to kill the offending one first. Goal stands.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
1. Red card for abusive language/gestures. Note in match report.
2. No goal, red cards to both brawlers. You can't award the goal and red card them at the same time unless you've played advantage. Whistle be damned.
3. Goal. Note in match report. Fire self into the sun.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 7, 2014

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Last week's answers:

quote:

1) The language and the gesture may not be overtly "abusive" – but any goading relating to issues of race or sexuality is clearly offensive, and therefore must not be tolerated. Referees are now empowered to dismiss players for language or gestures which are offensive, and that certainly applies here. I would not hesitate to show a red card. Norman Miller wins the shirt.
2) Goal. The keeper is on the field to keep goal, not to police the game. Play was live, so the goal stands. Maybe you should have been faster to stop play when the players clashed, and maybe the striker who scored has been less than sporting here – but, as always, the basic rule everyone needs to remember is: play to the whistle. Thanks to Abdullah Farouk.
3) First things first – you and your officials have badly messed up here. Before signalling for kick-off you should have checked your assistants are correctly positioned. But as it is, the offside decision is now yours alone to make – and as you cannot rule a goal out based just on a suspicion, you have to award it. Once your assistants are in the correct positions, re-start in the normal way, and include the details in your report. Thanks to Rick McCabe.

This week's image:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1) Thank the guy and let the league sort it out.
2) Do nothing. The player is fifty feet tall and would step on you. Whisper to the nearest player that you could have called that a foul throw, but didn't feel like it.
3) Send them all off the pitch and abandon the match. Tell Vladimir Eisenhower over there to find a more resilient set of players.
4) Wonder if the image you attached will ever show up.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 10, 2014

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

1) Red card to the field crasher
2) I think the more important question is "why is there a giant pair of floating hands" Show yourself of yellow for being high
3) Make the medics stay and play.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
I guess 1 is a red for unsportsmanlike conduct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5hz_k2jHY8

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Grimble posted:

He ran all the way out to the center of the pitch to two foot him when the fan wasn't being threatening towards anyone. Do I think it's stupid and would applaud the keeper? Absolutely, if I was in the audience. If I was the ref, you'd have to show it. That's premeditated, and not instinctual. If the fan was trying to hit someone, then I'd absolutely not even consider throwing a card up. I'd thank the player who saved my rear end from getting my rear end kicked in.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

1: Hackett is going to say it's VC and a red. I'm going with that if I'm certain the fan was coming after me and the player bailed me out, then there's no way I'm going to card that.

2: You have to. Out is out is out. Double check with your AR though.

3: You legally can't continue the game with only 6 players on the pitch. Hackett is probably going to say "terminate the match", I'm going to say "match is paused until one of them is fit enough to get back on the field". If anyone's taking the piss, start dishing yellow cards like candy on Halloween.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Grimble posted:

Yeah, player doing anything aggressive to a pitch invader is a red as VC: "He is also guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against a team-mate, spectator, match official or any other person." The question specifically says 'violent' which kinda answers that.

The answer will probably say something about how you couldn't know what the invader's intentions actually were.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

quote:

1) Send him off. However grateful you may feel, you have to take action because the player has clearly committed an act of violent conduct. It's not much of a thank you, admittedly, but you have to stick to the laws, and you should explain that to him clearly. Thanks to Pete Tomlin.
2) A throw has to be taken from the point where the ball left the field of play. So you have to judge it on that basis. If the ball bounced near the point where it originally went out, you can allow a retake. If not, consider it a foul-throw and award the throw to the opposition. Thanks to Bill Walker.
3) What a terrific question. First things first – if two of the players needed treatment after colliding with each other, they do not need to leave the pitch: that exception is set out in the Laws. But if all the injuries were separate incidents, then you have a big call to make. If the team is temporarily reduced to six players, the game technically should be abandoned. However, I would never want to abandon on a small point of Law, so this is one of those times I'd rely on common sense. Restart, call the players back on as quickly as you possibly can, and explain it all in your report. Andrew Gerrard wins the shirt.

I like the part where "you have to stick to the Laws" and you also have to "rely on common sense" in the same set of answers. And who knows what's going on with #2.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I will say in Hacketts defense that he is at least fairly consistent about not abandoning a game unless absolutely necessary, which I think is a nice principle. It may create a problem down the line but "play ball and let the FA sort it out later" helps out the paying fans at the game at least.

WangNV
Mar 22, 2001
I'm so lonely
Didn't this come up a few weeks ago?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jan-gunnar-solli-weirdest-yellow-3419274

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

1. Yes. You can't wear whatever the gently caress you want.
2. You can't be yellow carded for being offside so if he interferes with play then free kick otherwise play on.
3. I guess you have to award the first goal and deal with a really angry team. Perhaps consult the linesman first in order to offload some blame.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

1) Can't wear whatever you want, but understand that the heat is a factor. Keepers can wear hats, tell him to soak his hat.
2) Offside is ruled only if the player has a distinct advantage, if that player isn't going towards the ball, it isn't called offside until that player comes into play. No yellow, blow for offside when the player comes into play.
3) It's your fault for missing the first goal, you should have called it. Goal to the second team for it actually going in.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Number 2 is one of the stupidest ones they've ever published. Kicking the ball away from your goal during play is not a loving bookable offence, it's the intrinsic nature of the sport. I can't possibly understand how American you'd have to be to think that there's an offence occurring in that frame. This is before you point out that it'd be one of the least effective methods of timewasting possible, since all you're doing is giving the ball back to the opposition.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
For 3 I'd give neither of the goals. The second one clearly didn't cross the line. All hail Hawkeye.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Number 2 is one of the stupidest ones they've ever published. Kicking the ball away from your goal during play is not a loving bookable offence, it's the intrinsic nature of the sport. I can't possibly understand how American you'd have to be to think that there's an offence occurring in that frame. This is before you point out that it'd be one of the least effective methods of timewasting possible, since all you're doing is giving the ball back to the opposition.

They're just running out of questions at this point. That's why every other week there's some dogshit question about Hawkeye not working.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My friend is officiating, and apparently this situation happened to him.

Someone coming off the field got in the way of a throw in because in this league subs are allowed to come on and off during play (weird I know). Someone coming off tried to head the ball during the throw in. He missed, but the ball was played to the striker directly from the throw and he had a one on one break with the keeper. The sideline official blew his whistle (again, weird, I know) to call a foul and not let the advantage rule be played. What is supposed to happen here?

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soulex posted:

Someone coming off the field got in the way of a throw in because in this league subs are allowed to come on and off during play (weird I know). Someone coming off tried to head the ball during the throw in. He missed, but the ball was played to the striker directly from the throw and he had a one on one break with the keeper. The sideline official blew his whistle (again, weird, I know) to call a foul and not let the advantage rule be played. What is supposed to happen here?

Punch everybody in the face and make a note of the incident in your match report.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Subs are allowed while the ball is in play, or just during stoppages?

Either way, I believe the correct action is a 2-minute penalty for too many men on the field.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1) Not approved headgear. Get rid of it.
2) Tell the whiners to stop turning the ball over to that defender.
3) Keith is going to say something dumb like, "We're trained to trust the system, so you were right not to give the first goal; however, the ball being in the back of the net clearly shows the system is malfunctioning, so stop trusting it for the rest of the match. Can't go back to the first goal, so the second goal stands." Or he's going to reverse himself and claim you should have trusted your eyes and awarded the first goal. No matter what, he'll say to mention everything you did that day in your report.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Edmund Honda posted:

Yeah, player doing anything aggressive to a pitch invader is a red as VC: "He is also guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against a team-mate, spectator, match official or any other person." The question specifically says 'violent' which kinda answers that.

The answer will probably say something about how you couldn't know what the invader's intentions actually were.

Reminds me of when Esteban got sent off in the Eredivise for kicking a pitch invader to gently caress. The AZ manager ushered his team off the pitch and they rescinded his red card and replayed the fixture behind closed doors.

I think the manager of an away team that loses a player over that is well within his rights to call the game off, the precedent agrees, so I don't see how a red card is acceptable.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Soulex posted:

none of this makes sense lad. Which team had the throw? Which team was the player going off playing for?What offence was committed that made the liner blow his whistle? Why the hell has a liner got a whistle?! Why are the subs coming and going while play is ongoing?! WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE FFS?!!?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Soulex posted:

Assuming that the player was considered a substitute at the time he became involved, caution the substitute for unsporting behavior and you have an IFK for the team that took the throw in. One of those "should play advantage and come back for caution at next stoppage" scenarios but hey, if you haven't messed up an attack by blowing the whistle instead of calling for an advantage you haven't been refereeing very long.

Fat Lowtax posted:

I think the manager of an away team that loses a player over that is well within his rights to call the game off, the precedent agrees, so I don't see how a red card is acceptable.

A send off for violent conduct is explicitly what the Laws of the Game call for. Real world, you might get away without it, but the textbook answer to that question is always send off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

stickyfngrdboy posted:

none of this makes sense lad. Which team had the throw? Which team was the player going off playing for?What offence was committed that made the liner blow his whistle? Why the hell has a liner got a whistle?! Why are the subs coming and going while play is ongoing?! WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE FFS?!!?

It's a trick question; he's clearly not playing the sport of association football, so it's unreasonable to believe the same rules apply.

• Locked thread