Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I find that I mistakes like that where several situations come down to the wire - I've won several fights across the board by a single liberty. My opponent tenukis, hoping to use it as aji later, and I now have to remember that if ANYTHING happens in that area later in the game I should recount my liberties and resolve the fight. Subsequently I forget and die in the process.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Uncle Jam posted:

There have been self-atari in pro games before, but how about the deciding game of a title match?

http://www.go4go.net/go/games/sgfview/41474

That's a $8500 screw up. (also how do women players survive, if they're not winning tournaments all the time jeez)

I'll assume you've probably seen this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt1FvPxmmfE

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

(also how do women players survive, if they're not winning tournaments all the time jeez)

I forgot to answer this last night, but the answer is that you have to realize that there aren't men's tournaments and women's tournaments. There are open tournaments and women's tournaments, so female pros are playing in the big tournaments along with the men. You don't see them often simply because there aren't very many of them. As of the time I stopped following professional Go, there were only two 9p women: Rui Naiwei and Feng Yun. From that game record I guess Park Shiun is now 9p too.

As far as lesser pros go, men or women, they earn their money by giving lessons, writing game commentaries and ghostwriting books for the big names, rather than by winning tournaments.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

shin42k posted:

That one never gets old. :allears:

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I've tried to switch over from OGS to KGS and just played a few games there. I get no sound from my stones though. What's wrong?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit posted:

I've tried to switch over from OGS to KGS and just played a few games there. I get no sound from my stones though. What's wrong?

You have to download some java soumd hack; it's either in the OP or in the Life in 19 forum. I've had sound for so long I forgot it was an issue.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

shin42k posted:

Oh my god, I love everyone's reaction. :yayclod:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

:slick: :dance: :toot: :derp: [12k] :derp: :toot: :dance: :slick:

Gee, I know I'll get demoted as soon as I play any dude but maaan, just reaching this loving rank was hard work. Gee.

I don't know why I remember this post, but it fits me. :toot:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Kheldragar posted:

I don't know why I remember this post, but it fits me. :toot:

good job! :thumbsup:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Those last 5 games. :smug:

Okay enough gloating. Time to lose. :toot:

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 10, 2014

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Kheldragar posted:

:yayclod:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
If SGFs are associated to CGoban3 (the KGS client), a new version of CGoban3 will cause the association to stop working. Here's how I fixed it on Windows 7:
  1. Delete all files from Java cache, by deleting C:\Users\Xom\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0 (it will be re-created).
  2. Re-install CGoban3 from https://www.gokgs.com/download.jsp ("CGoban for Java Web Start" creates a desktop shortcut).
  3. Right-click a SGF, Open With..., check "Always use the selected program", browse to the shortcut and select it.
reference: http://senseis.xmp.net/?KGSCGobanFileAssociation

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Kheldragar posted:

This is the least thing to be proud about ever

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I just tried playing a game with a fever and a headache. It was a disaster!

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

First game with oiseaux ended in him dying and having to resign after about 80 moves, but it was an interesting game up until that point. The situation in which he ended up dying was extremely complicated, even more so than I thought during the game. After an hour of playing with variations, I think I've identified the last point at which he could have gotten out of it and what the result would be after best play by both sides. But there are very likely more variations that I've overlooked.

Full game commentary including all the variations I tried out here:
http://eidogo.com/#19I0CIeSf

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Thanks xop, I appreciate the review and will be poring over it tomorrow. Will share my basic thoughts; everything is in the commentary but I will highlight things I think I can contribute to

Move 35: Like xop says, this is overreaching. This kind of extra stone gap is what happens when you try and make up for your previous mistakes. As it turns out, had I played the standard knights move, it would have greatly helped in the future. Don't be greedy. Play tighter.

Move 43: Spent ages on this. To play the standard joseki would obliterate my corner and give me nothing to attack. The open skirt gives me an option, in my mind, to connect underneath in emergency or build up a wall to attack O3.

Move 45: gently caress is wrong with you oiseaux

Move 47: Same philsophy with that ridiculousness at Q14 - cut and hope. Cut and hope. I think that against an advanced opponent you at least have to try something, especially considering the lead.

Move 53: Black can't bear the territory white is about to claim. Something?

Move 60: Black decides to try and live

Move 67: All the time in the world, with analysis turned on, and I misread. Move 68 in my head was GAME OVER when it totally wasn't. Here is the lesson - do not let your mind make the preconceived shapes. Read read read, count the liberties, read, do not let your mind make the preconceived shapes.

This is why Life and Death is so important; playing constant games will make you aware of trends but the moment things get serious, you will miss certain routes. Study your problems, count your libs, do not autopilot, do not assume. Read methodically and carefully

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 12, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Move 45: gently caress is wrong with you oiseaux

Things aren't a disaster here, if you look at the variation I gave for 47. I think the main thing with 45 is simply that there's no need to play it right away. Basically, your plan is to exchange R4 for S4 and Q5 for either R5 or S6. Which is fine... but if you want to make sure you pick your order of moves so that your opponent has a hard time resisting. The only way I have of preventing the R4/S4 exchange is to play R4 myself... so the question is, does it seem good for me to play R4 in response to Q5? And maybe it does. But then B R6 doesn't lead to a bad result for you, so that's probably the way to go.

quote:

Move 47: Same philsophy with that ridiculousness at Q14 - cut and hope. Cut and hope. I think that against an advanced opponent you at least have to try something, especially considering the lead.

This is a good point. Playing against a better-ranked opponent without handicap is weirdly like playing as the better-ranked opponent in a handicap game. Though things are even on the board, you can expect that you will end up at a deficit if things proceed sensibly, so you're basically trying to make things messy from the start. I'm glad you see it that way. Usually if I play an even game with a kyu, they're just trying not to be humiliated, which means that I win by 25 or 30 without ever really fighting. Obviously, pushing as hard as you can against someone more experienced is going to lead to a lot of early resignations, but IMO that's a lot better than just coasting to a 20 point loss and patting yourself on the back that it wasn't 50.

quote:

Move 53: Black can't bear the territory white is about to claim. Something?

If you cut the other side first, it's probably better. Just connecting doesn't live in the corner, so he has to capture and let you retake the corner. White does get a lot of almost-solid territory, but it's not totally solid yet and you have two stones in there to provide some aji, though now you probably wish you hadn't exchanged O12/P11 which is why I said I wasn't sure about that.

quote:

Move 67: All the time in the world, with analysis turned on, and I misread. Move 68 in my head was GAME OVER when it totally wasn't. Here is the lesson - do not let your mind make the preconceived shapes. Read read read, count the liberties, read, do not let your mind make the preconceived shapes.

To be fair, that sagari to the first line when there's a friendly stone a one-space jump away such that the opponent can't split without putting himself in atari is a common tesuji that I consistently miss. I mean, not on the move when it's actually available, but when reading out longer sequences... it's easy to assume that a downward atari on the second line is always a capture, but that's basically the one exception.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:frogsiren: Let's do some easy L&D problems :frogsiren:

I took all of these out of Cho Chikun's elementary. Problems #60 through #73

Play f18; white pushes in, black blocks, white throws in the three space, then black takes the other eye; or, if white takes the other eye, play up again at f19 and have miai for any throwin.

Play f19; if whtie blocks, take the other eye at b19. White connecting = three space. If white takes the eye, atari and then connect out.

E18, white cannot block you since it's self atari.

F18 series of atari and connect out; white blocking is self atari and I did not realise this for like 10 minutes. I thought it was a pro problem or something.

c19; white blocks or else black can get out, then black plays b18. If white connects, c16.

d19; if white connects make a bamboo; if white makes a bamboo poke through it.

c19; if white takes, make eye on the right at f19. If white hanes, block for eye; when white takes, take back.

atari b18, white takes, atari on top then connect.

b19; you can always connect.

Make bamboo with e18/e17 being useless miai for life.

e19; both hanes make eyes and white can't cut or anything.

Hane at a18 and then take whatever stones white gives you immediately.

Kosumi at d18 and connect out.

e19, white extends, atari f18. White taking is oiotoshi. White connecting leads to snapback.

e: Hypertor has informed me that a few of these are wrong/not optimal. I will not change my original answer, but feel free to correct it!

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 12, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I found the Hikaru no Go thread (in the archives) and it owns. Some guy in IRC is schooling people left and right ("don't play him without at least 8 handi!") and the thread finds someone to challenge him ("no ghosts allowed!") with a forums upgrade on the line. Challenger loses and buys forums account for guy. Guy is 20 kyu.

Xom fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 12, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xom posted:

I found the Hikaru no Go thread (in the archives) and it owns. Some guy in IRC is schooling people left and right ("don't play him without at least 8 handi!") and the thread finds someone to challenge him ("no ghosts allowed!") with a forums upgrade on the line. Challenger loses and buys forums account for guy. Guy is 20 kyu.

Along with one's own rank, Hikaru No Go is another thing interest in which correlates negatively with playing potential.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Hmm, just lost to a player who undid three bad moves, one after i punished him pretty badly for it. I think I'm going to be more conservative with letting people undo from now on.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Svartvit posted:

Hmm, just lost to a player who undid three bad moves, one after i punished him pretty badly for it. I think I'm going to be more conservative with letting people undo from now on.

If you're friends with the person, let them undo moves. If they're a stranger, fuckit. Odds are they're an rear end in a top hat. But I'm still bitter about something that happened 15 years ago involving an undo.

Opponent asked me for a do-over. Okay, sure, whatever. A minute later, I made a simple mistake and asked for one, and was told no. :wtc:

Edit: Was MTG and not Go, and magic players are much more diskish than Go players though. So maybe it's less of a risk in these parts.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Speaking of MtG and mistakes, MtG was what I was playing before I got back into Go (I broke even grinding Sealed on MTGO).

someone on another forum posted:

I think WSOP-style poker tournaments are [lower-variance than] MtG. In MtG you can't really outplay your opponent—you can only do no stupid mistakes (things where if you analyze for 30 seconds you will know the right move).

I want to differentiate in games and sports between doing no mistakes and playing really well.
In bowling, which is mostly a game about doing no mistakes, there is a limit at how well you can do in a move—you can do 10 pins in one shot, and it's a very common thing to do. And players play to see who does fewer than 10 pins in one shot fewer times. I consider bowling to be about not doing mistakes.
Different is a game like soccer, where the peak to do things is really really really high, and you can always do amazing things to really go beyond expectations and thus outplay the other.

Magic is like bowling; Poker is more like soccer.
I think that's also one of the biggest differences between MtG and Go (and many other games), and I'm incredibly glad to have seen the post I quoted (because I might never have noticed otherwise).

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost

Xom posted:

blast from da past. i played on a goon NNGS server with those guys once, i believe the "hub" mentioned was a goon DC server. they were all much better than me, KGS 28 kyu at the time. poster slorb has been on ITGO in (relatively) recent years, and has also much improved.

e: skimmed through whole thread. there's WuChou in there too!

sensual donkey punching fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 12, 2014

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

The General posted:

If you're friends with the person, let them undo moves. If they're a stranger, fuckit. Odds are they're an rear end in a top hat. But I'm still bitter about something that happened 15 years ago involving an undo.

Opponent asked me for a do-over. Okay, sure, whatever. A minute later, I made a simple mistake and asked for one, and was told no. :wtc:

Edit: Was MTG and not Go, and magic players are much more diskish than Go players though. So maybe it's less of a risk in these parts.

So now again a guy asked for an undo (he tenuki'd a losing fight that could have been ko for him). I refuse and he says he should get it because he was so quick on the undo button. I still refuse and he resigned. Now I feel like an rear end in a top hat.

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Svartvit posted:

So now again a guy asked for an undo (he tenuki'd a losing fight that could have been ko for him). I refuse and he says he should get it because he was so quick on the undo button. I still refuse and he resigned. Now I feel like an rear end in a top hat.

I wouldn't worry about that. If it was obviously a misclick then sure I'd give him the undo, but in your case (where it's a tenuki) it becomes a bit dubious though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Svartvit posted:

So, you either allow him an undo every time he makes an error in judgement, which is unfair to you. Or you win, because he's a crybaby. I don't really see the problem?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Xom posted:

Speaking of MtG and mistakes, MtG was what I was playing before I got back into Go (I broke even grinding Sealed on MTGO).
I think that's also one of the biggest differences between MtG and Go (and many other games), and I'm incredibly glad to have seen the post I quoted (because I might never have noticed otherwise).

That's 100% wrong though. MtG is about seeing what your opponent plays, and being able to assess the situation and plan accordingly. It is about outplaying your opponent. Even more so at the higher levels.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

The General posted:

Online Go players are pretty dickish. Live it's usually pretty civil.

On a related note, sorry to the spectators and particularly to hypertor for being pissy and negative at the end of the last game last night after I blundered. I'm not usually like that, but I was, as you know, quite drunk, and also in a pretty negative mood to begin with; I'm all E/N about work stuff these days and had just had to endure our weekly Friday night dinner with the in-laws.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
If you don't rage while playing baduk then you're not really playing the game.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

xopods posted:

Online Go players are pretty dickish. Live it's usually pretty civil.

On a related note, sorry to the spectators and particularly to hypertor for being pissy and negative at the end of the last game last night after I blundered. I'm not usually like that, but I was, as you know, quite drunk, and also in a pretty negative mood to begin with; I'm all E/N about work stuff these days and had just had to endure our weekly Friday night dinner with the in-laws.

You should just have said that you were in loving fury over go and everyone would understand.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I tried to review the game to make amends, but to be honest, sober I don't actually understand most of the moves I made. I'll still post the SGF when I'm done but past a certain point it's just going to be "both of us have four weak groups and the game is like a strange attractor in the Go position space and every move seems to lead to a situation I don't understand."

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
As far as I can tell in Asia, the proper way to play go is with a smoke in one hand and a drink on the table mostly buzzed. Also you should be very old.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

As far as I can tell in Asia, the proper way to play go is with a smoke in one hand and a drink on the table mostly buzzed. Also you should be very old.

And a pile of cash on the table.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
I played through the interactive tutorial and downloaded KGS - so far I've played a few games vs bots to familiarize myself with the rules. Where should I go from here? It seems like there are hardly any beginners on KGS so I can't find anyone to play with who isn't a bot.

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Zekky posted:

I played through the interactive tutorial and downloaded KGS - so far I've played a few games vs bots to familiarize myself with the rules. Where should I go from here? It seems like there are hardly any beginners on KGS so I can't find anyone to play with who isn't a bot.

The best advice i can give is just to a lot of games with anyone (handicap games can be fun too), and be prepared to lose a lot. Also if you set up your own games, it's not rare that people around your level will come (although sometimes it takes some time).

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
there's lots of beginners on ogs (online-go.com), pretty quick to get a game there.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

there's lots of beginners on ogs (online-go.com), pretty quick to get a game there.

I thought low ranking ogs players were all sandbaggers.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

uranus posted:

When did that happen?
Last time I was on ogs it was full with sandbaggers with 30k rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

That explains why the "20k" I'm playing in the Honinbo is putting up a better fight than the 5ks.