Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clearlydemon
Feb 21, 2007

Got the Wyndham Bayside (formerly the Holiday Inn on the Bay). Not one of my first choices, but I've stayed there almost every time and it has been fine. Also, Peter Mayhew stays there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
You can't really 'transfer' but what you do is check in as whoever has the room reservation, and then use the new person's credit card as the one on file, then on check out just charge it to the new credit card. The hotel never gets the 'deposit' credit card information, they just have the name.

So you need the original reserve-er to check in for the other people basically, then that's it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Soarer posted:

Are reservations transferable? Because we also got the Westin Gaslamp (gf got our Hilton) which is a hell of a lot closer with one king bed for $239 a night.

I've already offered to our friends but if they don't take it I'll transfer to you if I can.

Just have whoever booked the room put your name on file for the reservation as well. Then you just check in as normal. I had to do that last year after I bought a friend's early-bird reservation in mission valley after getting screwed out of a hotel reservation.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Coronado is nice - that was a high choice for me. That's where a lot of the celebs stay as well - I saw Jon Snow there last year (can't remember the actor's name). I was going to rent a boat to avoid the ferry lines, though. Or cab it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Darko posted:

Coronado is nice - that was a high choice for me. That's where a lot of the celebs stay as well - I saw Jon Snow there last year (can't remember the actor's name). I was going to rent a boat to avoid the ferry lines, though. Or cab it.

We ran into merry or pippin at the Hilton(whoever was on Lost). I can't remember his name either :v:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

As an FYI, the Hotel Del is THE hotel of Coronado. You'll have a more comfortable stay there than possibly 90% of the other hotels on the list and backs up directly to the beach.

However, if you're going to SD just for con, you're better off finagling a back reservation that someone else has.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

RevKrule posted:

As an FYI, the Hotel Del is THE hotel of Coronado. You'll have a more comfortable stay there than possibly 90% of the other hotels on the list and backs up directly to the beach.

However, if you're going to SD just for con, you're better off finagling a back reservation that someone else has.

By normal vacation standards, it's the best hotel on the list. It's the only hotel that people actually visit even if they aren't staying there. But yeah, can access is a little harder.

Edit: Our extra Embassy Suites room is up for grabs if transfers are an option. Two double beds and a roll out couch is how it's advertised. -- Mobius has dibs.

Jimmy James fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 12, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy gently caress, the Hotel Del Coronado is nice as poo poo. That's where I'd go if I were bringing friends who weren't gonna con it up the whole time.

edit: I'd also Miami Vice the gently caress out of a rented boat.

Drake Lake
Aug 7, 2003

I'm a respected community leader! A shining pillar of moral strength!
Just read my e-mail for my reservation.

I didn't even ask for the U.S. Grant. No way in hell am I paying $339 a night. it's such a huge setback that it is making me reconsider going to the con.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So the hotel system is like Priceline except for shittier prices?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Drake Lake posted:

Just read my e-mail for my reservation.

I didn't even ask for the U.S. Grant. No way in hell am I paying $339 a night. it's such a huge setback that it is making me reconsider going to the con.

The stuff in hotel circle is really not that bad. The prices are fair and with the shuttles its really easy to get back and forth.

We stayed there our first two years. The first year we booked a room less than a month before the con.

Drake Lake
Aug 7, 2003

Soarer posted:

The stuff in hotel circle is really not that bad. The prices are fair and with the shuttles its really easy to get back and forth.

We stayed there our first two years. The first year we booked a room less than a month before the con.

Thanks, I'm down to give it a shot. April 23rd is that second chance thing, right? Or can I still book now?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Drake Lake posted:

Thanks, I'm down to give it a shot. April 23rd is that second chance thing, right? Or can I still book now?

Earlier today, the Early Bird hotels were still available, though they likely went pretty fast once the denial emails went out. Can't hurt to check the SDCC website, though.

Otherwise, yes, the 23rd will open some up. There are always cancellations due to people requesting multiple rooms "just in case" for Hotelpocalypse and whatnot. Downtown hotels are pretty much guaranteed to be a no-go, but Mission Valley and Harbor Island will certain have reasonable rooms go up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yoshifan823 posted:

Holy gently caress, the Hotel Del Coronado is nice as poo poo. That's where I'd go if I were bringing friends who weren't gonna con it up the whole time.

That's the problem, we are going to Con it up the whole time and after having the convenience of the Marriott Marina last year there's no way the Hotel Del Coronado is going to fly, we were constantly making trips back and forth with hauls of poo poo and relaxing every couple hours or so in the room for a half hour.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

Jimmy James posted:

By normal vacation standards, it's the best hotel on the list. It's the only hotel that people actually visit even if they aren't staying there. But yeah, can access is a little harder.

Edit: Our extra Embassy Suites room is up for grabs if transfers are an option. Two double beds and a roll out couch is how it's advertised.

Hey, you wouldn't possibly still have this room would you? I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands for you as I struck out this year and got nothing.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Mobius 1 posted:

Hey, you wouldn't possibly still have this room would you? I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands for you as I struck out this year and got nothing.

You can have it. I sent you a PM. I'll send you some contact info to get hold of me today.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

Jimmy James posted:

You can have it. I sent you a PM. I'll send you some contact info to get hold of me today.

I just want to say thank you again for this as it has saved my con.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The Voice is going on tour this summer and a stop will be at the San Diego Civic on Sunday July 27.
Tickets go on sale tomorrow April 17 at 10am.

http://www.aeglive.com/events/view/249632

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Either the voice is desperate for talent or they're looking for extra embarrassing footage.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

RevKrule posted:

Either the voice is desperate for talent or they're looking for extra embarrassing footage.

That isn't an audition thing, it's just a concert.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Neraren posted:

That isn't an audition thing, it's just a concert.

This news is somehow worse.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I think they're banking (in fact, I am almost positive they are banking) on the idea that SDCC now is kind of like Coachella is to most of Los Angeles: a "cool" thing you go to just to say you went. So, hey, a concert from a popular tv show is totally ok, right? Even after all these years in the industry, it boggles my mind how much they over/underestimate the fan bases of a convention they practically run in an attempt to "get it."

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

Wondercon reminded me of a thing I always want to do but forget about until late; what is etiquette for asking artists to draw in your Cool Bros Con Sketchbook? Do you only ask the ones who advertise sketches, or is it a common enough thing that you just throw a book at a guy and they're like hell yeah come back in a couple hours and then you shower them in tips? What if you're goon shy and don't know how to ask? Help how do I interact with people :ohdear:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

There's a couple ways to approach this as there's a couple kinds of sketches.

A lot of artists will do a "con sketch" for free, which is just a quick 2-3 minute sketch of whatever you want. I tend to get these at scheduled signings (like at the Marvel/DC booths). Sometimes these are really good, other times, outside of the signature, these don't represent that artist at all. It's a crap shoot but it's also free so you get what you pay for.

There's also commission sketches. These will cost money. Usually the artist will have a sign. If they don't, the best way to get one is to approach and be like "hey, do you do commissions?" at which point they'll give you their prices and sizes. Depending on what you want, artists will be more than willing to do it in your sketch book but sometimes it's better to have them use their own paper. A couple years ago I was without my sketchbook for like 2 days because Rodin Esquejo was a perfectionist.

Also, when you're done, don't forget to post in the original art thread. It needs more collectors posting to it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://www.ghostbusters30th.com/
Traveling Ghostbusters art show will have its own booth, #1806.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Hotel Reservations reopen at 9AM PT tomorrow

edit:
This popped up on twitter
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/vac/4434918509.html

quote:

I booked a hotel for Comic Con that I cannot use. I prepaid and the hotel does not offer refunds for Comic Con reservations.

3 Nights at the PortaVista. Check in on Friday, July 25th. Check out on Monday, July 28th. I paid $1459.12 (I can produce the receipt for verification) I am offering this reservation at 1/2 off at $729.56. The room has a Queen bed. The hotel offers shuttle service to the convention. You will be hard pressed to book a room for this price in San Diego on a weekend and especially during Comic Con. At this point I just want to recoup some of my money. I checked an on Expedia this hotel has a 3.5 star rating. Trip Adviser has this hotel rated 3.5 stars. Orbitz at 3 stars. Booking.com at 4 stars.

Here is a description of the hotel:
Located in the historic Little Italy neighborhood of downtown San Diego, the Porto Vista Hotel features 189 guestrooms with a cool casual vibe of the 1960s Italian coast. Dazzling views of the San Diego Bay combined with a splash of a Mediterranean lifestyle experience, the Glass Door Restaurant and Lounge, a city-view rooftop deck, Evolve Salon, modern meeting & event space and activities including rooftop yoga by Yoga One. The Porto Vista invites guests to stay in style!

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 23, 2014

Drake Lake
Aug 7, 2003

So does getting screen captures of all the bullshit I got help with hotels like it does with badges? Because drat, I've never seen so many errors before.

EDIT: Have lodgings for now. An improvement would be nice, though.

Drake Lake fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 23, 2014

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
edit: Misread

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Ace Parking update

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4253030980788&set=a.1946989771199.58797.1736211870&type=1&theater

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I've never done parking before so I have no idea, but does that also include convention center parking (as coveted as it is, figured I'd give it a shot this year)?

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Space_Butler posted:

I've never done parking before so I have no idea, but does that also include convention center parking (as coveted as it is, figured I'd give it a shot this year)?

Yeah. Pretty much every major lot goes on sale at once. Convention Center and Hilton are the most expensive and also the most likely to sell out first.

Convention Center parking is so glorious, so sweet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So NECAs first exclusive for SDCC has been announced, Super Freddy from Nightmare 5.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Sire Oblivion posted:

So NECAs first exclusive for SDCC has been announced, Super Freddy from Nightmare 5.

I fell way behind on exclusives last year, so I'll be posting links to sites that keep better track of that stuff this year. 2nd post will be for events in the convention center. 3rd post will remain off site stuff.

Also, now is the time for you guys to either beg for a room or offer up space.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

I fell way behind on exclusives last year, so I'll be posting links to sites that keep better track of that stuff this year. 2nd post will be for events in the convention center. 3rd post will remain off site stuff.

Also, now is the time for you guys to either beg for a room or offer up space.

Except from Tran cuz he has a nice comfy bed for me

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Parking is rumored for 5/20 at 9am PT

truTV Impractical Jokers Tour featuring The Tenderloins
Saturday 7/26
7:30PM
http://sandiegotheatres.org/impractical-jokers/
Presale is Thursday at 10am

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Matty announced 2 exclusives, 5 more next Tuesday.
http://news.mattycollector.com/blog/2014/04/30/sdcc-reveals-start-right-now-motuc-dcu-today-more-on-56-513/
Hordak and Imp w/special Imp treasure chest for con goers (memories of Gleek bullshit still haunt me) and Doomsday. But not the Doomsday that beat the poo poo out of Superman, the one that doesn't look remotely like Doomsday at all.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Parking! :rice:
http://www.aceparking.com/comic-con/

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

So this is just information, not actual parking release yet, right?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
This guy works for Ace Parking, he said 5/20 9am
https://twitter.com/jgjerset/statuses/460923368934342656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Anyone want to pick up one of those Freddy's for me?

• Locked thread