Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Holy gently caress. 55 gallon drums loaded with nitric acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

7thBatallion posted:

Holy gently caress. 55 gallon drums loaded with nitric acid.

Holy poo poo.

It's probably going to cost a gigantic amount of money to identify every substance in there. I can simultaneously see the lab rubbing it's hands together gleefully and a police captain going "Holy gently caress, how much?".

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

A White Guy posted:

Holy poo poo.

It's probably going to cost a gigantic amount of money to identify every substance in there. I can simultaneously see the lab rubbing it's hands together gleefully and a police captain going "Holy gently caress, how much?".

He's been collecting dangerous loving chemicals for FORTY GODDAMNED YEARS.

I really want a list of everything they find there. My God.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I want a link to this story. GIS gives me nothing. Goddamn. :catstare:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Long-road-ahead-for-hazardous-chemical-removal-at-Green-Lake-home-254461931.html?mobile=y

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2014/04/1000-containers-of-hazardous-chemicals-at-green-lake-house/

http://q13fox.com/2014/04/08/emergency-response-after-hazardous-chemicals-found-inside-green-lake-home/

http://kuow.org/post/epa-cleans-chemical-house-seattles-green-lake-neighborhood

Note that many, if not the majority of the stash is improperly stored and not labeled. Where's Wally Dickless when you need him.

Kilo147 has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Apr 10, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:stonk: What was he doing with all that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EPA coordinator posted:

The owner had a background in chemistry and research chemistry

Neighbour posted:

He’s convinced he is going to discover the next new element. I’m not kidding.

Are we sure he didn’t have a background in alchemy? Alternatively, look for a particle accelerator in the basement.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Hey, anyone can develop some kind of mental problem. And if you don't have family and friends looking out for you, who is going to argue with a research chemist that they are probably barking up the wrong tree? It's sad when this kind of thing happens and is allowed to go this far before more responsible people step in to take charge.

I admit I don't have a written plan for emergency storage or disposal of everything I've brought home.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

7thBatallion posted:

Reminds me of one of my favorite Superfund sites, the Hermiston Lab.

EPA posted:

A defunct mining laboratory in Hermiston, Oregon, was identified by local authorities and the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (ODEQ) as potentially posing a threat to a dairy distribution center located adjacent to the laboratory in the same building at 81156 N. Highway 395, Hermiston, Oregon. The Hermiston Fire Department (HFD) hazardous materials unit conducted a brief survey of the site and observed mercury, mercury oxide, sodium metal (immersed in oil in a plastic pitcher). Initial reports indicated the site also contained 800 pounds of potassium cyanide pellets in drums, eight 55-gallon drums of acid waste, sixteen five-gallon buckets of acid sludge, twenty 1-gallon jugs of hydrochloric acid, thirty 1-gallon jugs of sulfuric acid, and hundreds of miscellaneous bottles each containing up to 2 pounds of chemicals.

A little inventory from the Cleanup Notice

quote:

During the first inventory on June 8 and another more detailed inspection on June 27, inspectors
found large quantities and varieties of chemicals at the site, including:
• 800 lbs. pelletized potassium cyanide;
• 8 55-gallon drums labeled caustic which are more likely acidic solutions;
• 16 5-gallon buckets of acid sludge;
• 20 1-gallon jugs of hydrochloric acid;
• 30 1-gallon jugs of sulfuric acid;
• 200 smaller laboratory-sized containers of various unknown chemicals;
• About 400 lbs. of marine type batteries;
• 8-10 PCB containers;
• Small amount of radioactive material;
• Brick of sodium metal suspended in drum of oil;
• Trash and debris;
• Soil contaminated with heavy metals;
• 30 1-gallon glass containers believed to contain a 78% solution of nitric acid; numerous other
containers (whiskey bottles) with unknown contents (assumed to be nitric acid);
• 11 boxes (with four 1-gallon bottles each) containing formic acid, sulfuric acid, and nitric acid;
• numerous glass containers include xylene and oxalic acid;
• surplus trailer containing obsolete electronic computer equipment;
• numerous vessels and vacuum tubes containing mercury.

Apparently the owner ran a precious metals recycling business and would routinely use various acids to strip the gold from circuit boards and other computer equipment, then throw the waste in 55 gallon drums in the lot to evaporate. He died and his mother asked a family friend to clean up the site. He took one look at it, said 'gently caress that' and called the state environment department who said 'gently caress that' and called the EPA.

The full listing of poo poo hauled out of there as hazardous waste is insane. 1,817 containers which they bulk packed down to 88 drums containing hydrochloric acid, perchloric acid, sulfuric acid, muriatic acid, nitric acid, formic acid, hydroformic acid, hydrofluoric acid, phosphoric acid, chlorinated solvents, arsenic, mercury, ammonia, cyanide, sodium and other metals as well as random other inks, dyes, and other assorted chemicals.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Where do they even take that stuff to dispose of it? Does it get processed back into something useful and sent off to labs or does the EPA just have a black hole somewhere they throw all this poo poo in?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Light Gun Man posted:

Where do they even take that stuff to dispose of it? Does it get processed back into something useful and sent off to labs or does the EPA just have a black hole somewhere they throw all this poo poo in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I love how people used to just line up to check out any crazy poo poo like that. Let's go watch em dump some sodium, then next week we'll check out the atom bomb test!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Light Gun Man posted:

I love how people used to just line up to check out any crazy poo poo like that. Let's go watch em dump some sodium, then next week we'll check out the atom bomb test!
Man, I've always wanted to see a nuke test, too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Sort of off topic but I always found this highly interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crush,_Texas

Let's go watch some trains collide intentionally, surely there is no danger here.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

7thBatallion posted:

Man, I've always wanted to see a nuke test, too.

Oh, yes. I'd be off pricing plane tickets right now if the US (or whoever) announced that they'd need to do an above-ground test for whatever reason.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Doop de do...yep, that sure is a mushroom cloud...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

7thBatallion posted:

I think we need to keep a closer eye on Genesplicer.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Has he posted recently? Maybe it was him and the schoolteacher bit was all a sham so that he can get ahold of MORE CHEMICALS :ohdear:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Doop de do...yep, that sure is a mushroom cloud...

Looks more like a celery cloud to me! :downs:

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Say Nothing posted:

Someone give his mother the # for the EPA, just in case.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BigHustle posted:

Reminds me of one of my favorite Superfund sites, the Hermiston Lab.

A little inventory from the Cleanup Notice

Apparently the owner ran a precious metals recycling business and would routinely use various acids to strip the gold from circuit boards and other computer equipment, then throw the waste in 55 gallon drums in the lot to evaporate. He died and his mother asked a family friend to clean up the site. He took one look at it, said 'gently caress that' and called the state environment department who said 'gently caress that' and called the EPA.

The full listing of poo poo hauled out of there as hazardous waste is insane. 1,817 containers which they bulk packed down to 88 drums containing hydrochloric acid, perchloric acid, sulfuric acid, muriatic acid, nitric acid, formic acid, hydroformic acid, hydrofluoric acid, phosphoric acid, chlorinated solvents, arsenic, mercury, ammonia, cyanide, sodium and other metals as well as random other inks, dyes, and other assorted chemicals.

Honestly the sodium worries me less than all the goofy acids, mercury, and assorted waste, cyanide compounds, and contaminated poo poo.

Sodium is drat common in nature. And once it's either oxidized (into a strong base, which you can carefully mix with hydrochloric acid to produce... salty water) or chlorinated (into ordinary table salt) it is pretty harmless. Sitting under oil, it's harmless.

Mercury on the other hand doesn't give a gently caress about you, it only ranges from toxic to more toxic. And some of those acids are pretty harsh poo poo to have around too, and cyanide is just, well, cyanide.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Light Gun Man posted:

It pretty much depends on what the waste is and what they can do with it. If it's something that can be recycled and resold, the disposal companies will usually take the waste so they can process and resell it. If it's something that can't be recycled and reused for commercial purposes or is banned from use (PCBs, etc.) the lowest bidder will be paid to process and/or landfill the stuff.

The crap from the Hermiston Lab was sent to a few different places. All of the cyanide solutions went to Teris LLC/Clean Harbors, US Ecology took all of the items containing PCBs (ballasts, transformers, capacitors, etc.) and Pollution Control Industries/Tradebe took everything else.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Arsenic trioxide, a poison and also a FDA approved treatment for certain leukemias.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic_trioxide#Medical_applications

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Say Nothing posted:

Arsenic trioxide, a poison and also a FDA approved treatment for certain leukemias.

Pretty much all chemotherapy drugs are poisons. One of the first chemotherapeutic agents used to treat cancer is directly derived from mustard gas. It was noticed that since, hey, all of these people we're seeing with mustard gas injuries have depleted white cell counts, maybe we could use this to treat lymphomas somehow.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Phanatic posted:

Pretty much all chemotherapy drugs are poisons. One of the first chemotherapeutic agents used to treat cancer is directly derived from mustard gas. It was noticed that since, hey, all of these people we're seeing with mustard gas injuries have depleted white cell counts, maybe we could use this to treat lymphomas somehow.

By the time society has learned to cure/treat all forms of cancer, we'll know exactly how to poison specific parts of the human body with random chemicals. I wouldn't be surprised if some lab was looking into using the wood from a specific kind of antique furniture to find out whether or not it affects rat tumors.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

That's literally the nature of cancer treatment - radiative treatment, chemotherapy, surgery. Basically, "how can we kill cancer without killing the patient?". The cure is worse than the disease out of necessity.

Anyhow, onto dangerous chemical chat :sun:.

Sapa was a traditional syrup that Romans produced by boiling wine in lead-lined vessels, producing a syrup that boiled again into sapa. Its sweetness comes from the fact that it was chocful of lead acetate, of which consumption leads directly to lead poisoning. A number of historical personalities died as a result of coming in contact with lead acetate - the most famous of which is Beethoven, who suffered mental illness and deafness as a result of drinking wines that had been adulterated with lead acetate.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

A White Guy posted:

That's literally the nature of cancer treatment - radiative treatment, chemotherapy, surgery. Basically, "how can we kill cancer without killing the patient?". The cure is worse than the disease out of necessity.

Anyhow, onto dangerous chemical chat :sun:.

Sapa was a traditional syrup that Romans produced by boiling wine in lead-lined vessels, producing a syrup that boiled again into sapa. Its sweetness comes from the fact that it was chocful of lead acetate, of which consumption leads directly to lead poisoning. A number of historical personalities died as a result of coming in contact with lead acetate - the most famous of which is Beethoven, who suffered mental illness and deafness as a result of drinking wines that had been adulterated with lead acetate.

Whenever I think "those stupid Romans" I also have to wonder, what ubiquitous materials in our culture are poisoning us? I'm sure in a few hundred years they'll be more apparent. But right now we're just as ignorant as the previous pinnacle of civilization.

Good old hindsight.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Whenever I think "those stupid Romans" I also have to wonder, what ubiquitous materials in our culture are poisoning us? I'm sure in a few hundred years they'll be more apparent. But right now we're just as ignorant as the previous pinnacle of civilization.

Good old hindsight.

Well, we did spent quite a long time until fairly recently puttin tetraethyl lead into flammable substances and burning it which even if you don't buy the "leaded fuels lead to a rise in crime" theory was not a good idea in the long run.

I mean it was lead ffs, you'd think somebody would have read their history and realised that putting it in more stuff was a bad idea.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BigHustle posted:

Eh, muriatic acid ain't so bad. We use it for cleaning up swimming pools, and stainless steel. Hell, you can go to walmart and buy jugs of it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well, we did spent quite a long time until fairly recently puttin tetraethyl lead into flammable substances and burning it which even if you don't buy the "leaded fuels lead to a rise in crime" theory was not a good idea in the long run.

I mean it was lead ffs, you'd think somebody would have read their history and realised that putting it in more stuff was a bad idea.

The guys responsible for tetraethyl lead in petrol also developed CFCs, so they did not do a great job all round for the environment.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Johnny Aztec posted:

Eh, muriatic acid ain't so bad. We use it for cleaning up swimming pools, and stainless steel. Hell, you can go to walmart and buy jugs of it.

Sometimes it gets into the news when someone uses it as a weapon (splashing it in someone's face to permanently disfigure them) but yeah, it's not the most threatening thing in the world when it's not used offensively.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

BattleMaster posted:

Sometimes it gets into the news when someone uses it as a weapon (splashing it in someone's face to permanently disfigure them) but yeah, it's not the most threatening thing in the world when it's not used offensively.

My uncle didn't have a firearm so he splashed bleach on a burglar who (for whatever reason) was breaking in while he was at home.

Police found the guy pretty easily, which is +1 for chemical weapons home defense.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, isn't it a synonym for hydrochloric acid, which that list also mentions? I always thought it was anyway.

To contribute: I just got a new job (night shift at a factory; I'm that desperate for money) where I get to play with hazardous chemicals! I strip paint off metal parts, so they get immersed in a near-boiling bath of sodium hydroxide and a bunch of nasty non-polar solvents, and then a bath of phosphoric acid. So there's just big vats of the stuff sitting there; it's fun. And every time I put on my protective gear I can't help but think "Jesse, we need to cook".

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Also, isn't it a synonym for hydrochloric acid, which that list also mentions? I always thought it was anyway.

To contribute: I just got a new job (night shift at a factory; I'm that desperate for money) where I get to play with hazardous chemicals! I strip paint off metal parts, so they get immersed in a near-boiling bath of sodium hydroxide and a bunch of nasty non-polar solvents, and then a bath of phosphoric acid. So there's just big vats of the stuff sitting there; it's fun. And every time I put on my protective gear I can't help but think "Jesse, we need to cook".

Yeah, it pretty much is just hydrochloric acid. Anyone who doesn't use this stuff cleaning a (concrete) pool, is only doing half a job.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

XMNN posted:

The guys responsible for tetraethyl lead in petrol also developed CFCs, so they did not do a great job all round for the environment.

Thomas Midgley Jr, yeah. Known as the man who had the single greatest impact upon Earth's environment.

He actually died before anyone realized all the negative side-effects of his inventions. He caught polio in 1940, and ended up nearly paralyzed. Fortunately, a genius of his caliber was able to device a series of motorized pulleys and cords to assist himself in rising up in bed and turning over.

Naturally, it ended up strangling him.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tunicate posted:

Thomas Midgley Jr, yeah. Known as the man who had the single greatest impact upon Earth's environment.

He actually died before anyone realized all the negative side-effects of his inventions. He caught polio in 1940, and ended up nearly paralyzed. Fortunately, a genius of his caliber was able to device a series of motorized pulleys and cords to assist himself in rising up in bed and turning over.

Naturally, it ended up strangling him.

I can't help but imagine him as some real life version of Dr. Strangelove/Merkwurdigliebe.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 12:04 on Apr 28, 2014

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Good old hindsight.
Oil drilling, fracking, tar sands, coal mining and power, etc. There still hasn't been any real accountability for the Deepwater Horizon spill, and that pales in comparison to the ongoing damage being done in less developed countries. Then there's global warming on top of that. We would have to be stupid to do what we're doing

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Good old hindsight.

Asbestos is banned in construction materials pretty much everywhere, except the USA.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Asbestos is banned in construction materials pretty much everywhere, except the USA.

When I was in high school they had to build a new school due to asbestos. Mold was getting into the spaces between walls that so happened to contain asbestos. So it was decided to just build a new school. Asbestos is fine so long as it remains where it is and no one fucks with it. Problem is people have to gently caress with it all the time since it's a building material. To do any work on older buildings usually means asbestos for example. Damnit we're idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

To do any work on older buildings usually means asbestos for example. Damnit we're idiots.
Send a chunk of drywall from any house or commercial building built in the last 10 years out for testing and I would bet that at least 1 in 5 come back positive for asbestos. Just because you can't use sheets of it for insulation or fireproofing anymore doesn't mean it's gone.