Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Tell me more about the wave of child obesity in Nigeria and Bangladesh due to coke and big macs

http://bit.ly/1kJ000f

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Is it possible to be a bigger low effort shitlord than this? How about addressing the points that people have made against you instead of Gish Galloping away?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Well, he's got us there I guess.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

icantfindaname posted:

Tell me more about the wave of child obesity in Nigeria and Bangladesh due to coke and big macs

Actually there is wave of obesity in the world due to a shift from staples to high sugar and high fat food.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Grognan posted:

Is it possible to be a bigger low effort shitlord than this? How about addressing the points that people have made against you instead of Gish Galloping away?

The guy asked me about obesity in the developing world.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

This is considerably more specific than that. Answer the question people have of you if want people to listen to you.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The whole thing is a derail to begin with, the real problem here is that he keeps refusing to give a reason why industrial scale grain production has to stop, or how this could be done without starving millions (billions?) of people.

He's conflating two different problems, the problem of improving people's diets and the problem of maintaining agricultural output with global warming. The solutions to these problems are not the same, and his proposed solution to both seems at first glance to be flat out impossible.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 9, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Grognan posted:

This is considerably more specific than that. Answer the question people have of you if want people to listen to you.

Why specifically Nigeria and Bangladesh? Why do you care so much about those two places? Do you think googling "obesity and the developing world" seeing the thousands of links come up describing the alarming rise of obesity is not enough to answer a snarky question about big macs and soda?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

The whole thing is a derail to begin with, the real problem here is that he keeps refusing to give a reason why industrial scale grain production has to stop, or how this could be done without starving millions (billions?) of people.

Maybe you missed this post

quote:

You're right, shifting from grains and tubers is not really a good idea. We have to eat more whole-grains though, and less of the refined stuff

e: although that does not mean that my claim of "we should eat more fruits and veggies" is incorrect.

By the way, it seems to me that industrial grain production will have a hell of a time adapting to climate change

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Maybe you missed this post

By the way, it seems to me that industrial grain production will have a hell of a time adapting to climate change

Just out of curiosity, which is more tolerant of drought/overwatering/high temperatures/low temperatures, grain or fruit and vegetables?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kalman posted:

Just out of curiosity, which is more tolerant of drought/overwatering/high temperatures/low temperatures, grain or fruit and vegetables?

I have no clue, I have to read research done about this problem before I can answer with any degree of certainty.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I have no clue, I have to read research done about this problem before I can answer with any degree of certainty.

So in other words you admit that you have no idea if climate change will disproportionately affect grains in comparison to fruits and vegetables but feel that it's important that we switch anyway because climate change is going to make growing grain harder?

Thanks.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Do you think googling "obesity and the developing world" seeing the thousands of links come up describing the alarming rise of obesity is not enough to answer a snarky question about big macs and soda?

Yes, because you're being a straw man rather than someone who actually talks about the issues.

http://bit.ly/1kpL4bw

There, I have addressed you with a source that you cannot refute.

edit: The fourth result actually finds you.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Grognan posted:

Yes, because you're being a straw man rather than someone who actually talks about the issues.

http://bit.ly/1kpL4bw

There, I have addressed you with a source that you cannot refute.

This is dumb. I answered a snarky question with a snarky answer. Why are you butt-hurt

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kalman posted:

So in other words you admit that you have no idea if climate change will disproportionately affect grains in comparison to fruits and vegetables but feel that it's important that we switch anyway because climate change is going to make growing grain harder?

Thanks.

I was referring to a comparison between the two types of crops. There's lots of studies out there trying to quantify the impact CC will have on food production. Very recent evidence suggests that at least for wheat, it's nutritional quality is suffering due to increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Which is worrisome.

quote:

For the first time, a field test has demonstrated that elevated levels of carbon dioxide inhibit plants’ assimilation of nitrate into proteins, indicating that the nutritional quality of food crops is at risk as climate change intensifies.

Findings from this wheat field-test study, led by a University of California, Davis, plant scientist, are reported online in the journal Nature Climate Change.

“Food quality is declining under the rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide that we are experiencing,” said lead author Arnold Bloom, a professor in the Department of Plant Sciences.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/food-qu...d%3A+tech_talk+(CBS+News+-+Tech+Talk)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

icantfindaname posted:

He's conflating two different problems, the problem of improving people's diets and the problem of maintaining agricultural output with global warming.

Don't forget the problems of transgenics and Monsanto making money.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
If you've got 5 dollars to get your daily 2500 calories, are you going to spend it all on things that hit the caloric target or are you going to spend it on half your calories worth of fruits and vegetables? This is a situation many people are in. What you're proposing doesn't affect the reason why people go to grains and meat. If anything, we'll probably genetically engineer crops to minimise effects from global warming and land degradation before we go to 'alternative farming' whatever that even means.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

He's conflating two different problems, the problem of improving people's diets and the problem of maintaining agricultural output with global warming. The solutions to these problems are not the same, and his proposed solution to both seems at first glance to be flat out impossible.

No, I trust Olivier De Schutter, Special Rapporteur on the right to food to the UN who says the solutions to these problems are actually achievable.

quote:

“Conventional farming relies on expensive inputs, fuels climate change and is not resilient to
climatic shocks. It simply is not the best choice anymore today,” De Schutter stresses. “A large
segment of the scientific community now acknowledges the positive impacts of agroecology on
food production, poverty alleviation and climate change mitigation -- and this this is what is
needed in a world of limited resources. Malawi, a country that launched a massive chemical
fertilizer subsidy program a few years ago, is now implementing agroecology, benefiting more
than 1.3 million of the poorest people, with maize yields increasing from 1 ton/ha to 2-3
tons/ha.”

The report also points out that projects in Indonesia, Vietnam and Bangladesh recorded up to
92 % reduction in insecticide use for rice, leading to important savings for poor farmers.
“Knowledge came to replace pesticides and fertilizers. This was a winning bet, and comparable
results abound in other African, Asian and Latin American countries,” the independent expert
notes.

“The approach is also gaining ground in developed countries such as United States, Germany
or France,” he said. “However, despite its impressive potential in realizing the right to food for
all, agroecology is still insufficiently backed by ambitious public policies and consequently hardly
goes beyond the experimental stage.”

The report identifies a dozen of measures that States should implement to scale up
agroecological practices.

“Agroecology is a knowledge-intensive approach. It requires public policies supporting
agricultural research and participative extension services,” De Schutter says. “States and
donors have a key role to play here. Private companies will not invest time and money in practices that cannot be rewarded by patents and which don’t open markets for chemical
products or improved seeds.”

The Special Rapporteur on the right to food also urges States to support small-scale farmer’s
organizations, which demonstrated a great ability to disseminate the best agroecological
practices among their members. “Strengthening social organization proves to be as impactful as
distributing fertilizers. Small-scale farmers and scientists can create innovative practices when
they partner”, De Schutter explains.

“We won’t solve hunger and stop climate change with industrial farming on large plantations.
The solution lies in supporting small-scale farmers’ knowledge and experimentation, and in
raising incomes of smallholders so as to contribute to rural development.”

“If key stakeholders support the measures identified in the report, we can see a doubling of food
production within 5 to 10 years in some regions where the hungry live,” De Schutter says.
“Whether or not we will succeed this transition will depend on our ability to learn faster from
recent innovations. We need to go fast if we want to avoid repeated food and climate disasters
in the 21st century.”

Is this guy a looney? Is he crazy for thinking this stuff?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kalman posted:

Thanks.

More on this. According to the UN, climate change is already adversely affecting two important crops.

quote:

“Climate change has negatively affected wheat and maize yields for many regions and in the global aggregate,” according to a 48-page summary of the report

http://www.ipcc-wg2.gov/AR5/

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
What makes you think fruits and vegetables fare better due to climate change. Or are you going to be an eternal agnostic and hide behind "I don't know." about that too.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

logger posted:

What makes you think fruits and vegetables fare better due to climate change. Or are you going to be an eternal agnostic and hide behind "I don't know." about that too.

Is it bad to admit when you don't know something? To answer your question, it seems like both fruits and grain will be impacted by CC. However, it's healthy to have a diet rich in vegetables and fruits, and I think healthy diets are a good thing.

white sauce fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 9, 2014

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Is it bad to admit when you don't know something, or would you prefer I lie and make something up?

It's bad to hold a position that relies on knowing something, and after admitting not knowing that something to continue to argue for that position. I think the preferred choice here is for you to go away and learn the something to see if it influences your position.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Is it bad to admit when you don't know something? To answer your question, it seems like both fruits and grain will be impacted by CC. However, it's healthy to have a diet rich in vegetables and fruits, and I think healthy diets are a good thing.

Of course fruits and vegetables are good for you, but you were asked if climate change would disproportionally affect grains compared to fruits and vegetables and your response singled out only the impact of climate change on grain.

Since you neglected to post anything about the impact of climate change on fruits and vegetables it seemed to me you were trying to lie by omission.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

logger posted:

Of course fruits and vegetables are good for you, but you were asked if climate change would disproportionally affect grains compared to fruits and vegetables and your response singled out only the impact of climate change on grain.

Since you neglected to post anything about the impact of climate change on fruits and vegetables it seemed to me you were trying to lie by omission.

I;m sorry if it seemed I was trying to lie. I'm trying to understand why people in this thread keep asking me the same questions about fruits and vegetables, when there are other problems we face that have not been discussed. CC will affect all aspects of agriculture. We have to change the way we grow food if we are to properly feed a rising population. Right now, billions are obese, billions are starving, and there is very little being done to address these issues. I think I'm going to stop posting in this thread for a while, since people seem to have an issue with me bringing up these subjects here. Cheers guys :)

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bob holness paradox posted:

It's bad to hold a position that relies on knowing something, and after admitting not knowing that something to continue to argue for that position. I think the preferred choice here is for you to go away and learn the something to see if it influences your position.

I did learn something and admit that one of my previous beliefs was misguided. Oh well :)

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

I'm having trouble coming up with an acceptable answer as to why fruits and veggies would be easier to produce on a wide scale compared to grains, and I have to feeling that there is no reason why they would be easier to cultivate than grains. However, the way we process and refine grains often leads to a nutritionally deficient product.

Well, take something like brown rice. It has health advantages compared to white rice because it has more vitamins and a little more fibre, but white rice is commonly enriched to add back the vitamins. Combine white rice with beans and you will probably have all the fibre you need. So why do people use white rice instead of brown? Well, it has a significantly longer shelf life than brown rice and it is frequently considered to be more appetizing. The processing was done for a reason, and the slight loss in nutritional value can be easily compensated for, so the trade off seems totally reasonable. It's important to try and work to make sure people have the resources and knowledge to eat a healthy and balanced diet. You don't really get there by demonizing individual products that fill an important niche in nutrition.

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

Rich people can have healthy diets. For poor people, having a diet at all is what's important to them, and grain-heavy diets will always be more practical for that purpose. For the first time in history, we've nearly eliminated famine as a consideration, and it is due to industrial farming and genetic engineering of grains that we have almost achieved this.

You seem to think that the suffering of a rich American with a beer belly is more important, or a more pressing concern, than the suffering of a starving African. The people at Monsanto disagree.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

AuMaestro posted:

Rich people can have healthy diets. For poor people, having a diet at all is what's important to them, and grain-heavy diets will always be more practical for that purpose. For the first time in history, we've nearly eliminated famine as a consideration, and it is due to industrial farming and genetic engineering of grains that we have almost achieved this.

Do you have a source for this (both that famine is nearly eliminated as a concern and that this is due to GE and industrial farming)? South Sudan is on the verge of a famine. Historically, many famines have happened during times when supply of grains was high. While supply is an important factor in food security, in many cases it matters more how people access this supply and how it is distributed. We could have twice the amount of food necessary to feed everyone in the world and it wouldn't matter if large groups of people were too poor to afford it. In South Sudan the potential famine is driven by social conflict. Genetic engineering can't prevent civil wars.

quote:

You seem to think that the suffering of a rich American with a beer belly is more important, or a more pressing concern, than the suffering of a starving African. The people at Monsanto disagree.

I don't think that Monsanto is driven by the suffering of starving Africans. Surely it's possible to embrace genetic engineering without embracing the companies that profit from it.

teejayh
Feb 12, 2003
A real bastard

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Well, take something like brown rice. It has health advantages compared to white rice because it has more vitamins and a little more fibre, but white rice is commonly enriched to add back the vitamins. Combine white rice with beans and you will probably have all the fibre you need. So why do people use white rice instead of brown? Well, it has a significantly longer shelf life than brown rice and it is frequently considered to be more appetizing. The processing was done for a reason, and the slight loss in nutritional value can be easily compensated for, so the trade off seems totally reasonable. It's important to try and work to make sure people have the resources and knowledge to eat a healthy and balanced diet. You don't really get there by demonizing individual products that fill an important niche in nutrition.
It isn't a matter of just adding back the missing vitamins and minerals. White rice is made entirely of the endosperm of the grain, brown rice still contains the bran and the germ layers. Those two layers still being included helps control the breakdown of the starchy endosperm. With the rise in diabetes among first world populations, nutrition is more than just replacing missing vitamins, and calorie density. The average american diet consists of massive amounts of refined carbohydrates per meal, and it has been that way since the Nixon administration essentially created the industry for Agribusiness. We had so much corn, and other grains, we had to figure out how to turn them into cheap food.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

teejayh posted:

It isn't a matter of just adding back the missing vitamins and minerals. White rice is made entirely of the endosperm of the grain, brown rice still contains the bran and the germ layers. Those two layers still being included helps control the breakdown of the starchy endosperm. With the rise in diabetes among first world populations, nutrition is more than just replacing missing vitamins, and calorie density. The average american diet consists of massive amounts of refined carbohydrates per meal, and it has been that way since the Nixon administration essentially created the industry for Agribusiness. We had so much corn, and other grains, we had to figure out how to turn them into cheap food.

Yes, which is why I mentioned combining things like beans into the meal to compensate and creating a balanced overall diet plan instead of urging people to eat only a diet of white rice.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

Okay, millions of people would be dying of vitamin deficiency if not for golden rice and other biotech products. Is that better?
Just to comment that Golden Rice has still not been used to help fight vitamin A deficiency. I believe a post about this was referred to a few pages back in this same thread.

While looking that up, I ran into this page by Greenpeace:

quote:

GE 'Golden' rice has been in development for over 20 years. The tens of millions of dollars invested in GE 'Golden' rice would have been better spent on VAD solutions that are already available and working, such as food supplements, food fortification and home gardening. Greenpeace believes that, by combating VAD with ecologically farmed home and community gardens, sustainable systems are created that provide food security and diversity in a way that is empowering people, protects biodiversity, and ensures a long-lasting solution to VAD and malnutrition.

What a pile of disingenuous tripe. They encourage opposition to not-for-profit research into Golden Rice and then trash it for not having been tested well enough.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

At least they aren't setting fields used in controlled experiments on fire and then asking where the research is!

Oh wait...well, at least this specific group has never done that! As far as we know!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just to comment that Golden Rice has still not been used to help fight vitamin A deficiency. I believe a post about this was referred to a few pages back in this same thread.

While looking that up, I ran into this page by Greenpeace:

What a pile of disingenuous tripe. They encourage opposition to not-for-profit research into Golden Rice and then trash it for not having been tested well enough.

Let's not forget that their solution to people who are already living at a subsistence level and suffering vitamin A deficiency is that they should spend more of their time working on a home garden to grow their own crops to help save them from vitamin deficiency.

Just guessing here, but possibly they're suffering vitamin deficiency because they can't afford the time and money (and space) required to have that home garden full of vitamin A containing plants?

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Kalman posted:

Let's not forget that their solution to people who are already living at a subsistence level and suffering vitamin A deficiency is that they should spend more of their time working on a home garden to grow their own crops to help save them from vitamin deficiency.

Just guessing here, but possibly they're suffering vitamin deficiency because they can't afford the time and money (and space) required to have that home garden full of vitamin A containing plants?

Their solution is "people who don't have enough to eat are fat and should eat less grains" because they can't compartmentalize issues beyond The Bad Food Thing.

meat sweats fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 11, 2014

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
Hey what's up guys :shepface:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

karthun posted:

Actually there is wave of obesity in the world due to a shift from staples to high sugar and high fat food.

This is true and vastly more palatable than a LMGTFY link. It reminds me of the situation with Tonga facing flak over banning the import of chicken rumps to try and curtail the obesity epidemic that has happened there. While this is way more specific than the points that Tight Booty Shorts was trying to make, you can at least base some discussion on it.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

pd187 posted:

Hey what's up guys :shepface:

My dad has been getting on the fluoride is evil bandwagon. At first he even started buying only bottled water. I had to explain to him Belgium doesn't add fluoride to its water supply.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NeilPerry posted:

My dad has been getting on the fluoride is evil bandwagon. At first he even started buying only bottled water. I had to explain to him Belgium doesn't add fluoride to its water supply.

Precious bodily fluids.

Yes, it's healthy. However, "Eats sufficient calories, could use some more fibre and trace nutrients" is a substantial improvement over "loving starving". Also, bread which includes sourdough and whole grains or seeds is healthier and tastier and generally superior to toast in every way :colbert:

Also, have some required viewing for this thread.
tl;dr: barring half a dozen failed states and war torn hellholes, family planning is working. The world reproductive rate is approaching replacement rate.
As children grow up and old people die off, the older age groups will get filled up and world population overall can be expected to stabilise around 10-11 billion people (the filling up happens because the world population pyramid is still a bit bottom heavy).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm not sure this particular harmful scientific monster has appeared in this thread, so I present to you, the ADD-causing, cancer-inducing, kid-hating phenomenon: :ghost: wifi in schools! :siren:

Metroland posted:

Readin’, Ritin’, Radiation

WiFi in school classrooms is the wave of the future, but critics warn that daylong exposure may not be the healthiest choice for our children

[I]t does seem like New York state is moving forward with the Wi-Fi in public schools. Here is an excerpt from a Power Point presentation at the April 8 Stillwater Board of Education meeting regarding Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s Smart Schools bond referendum.
The push to embrace technology and implement Wi-Fi throughout our schools has gained such momentum that districts resisting the rush, such as the Waterford-Halfmoon Union Free School District, are barely noticed.

And that, according UAlbany Professor David Carpenter, director of the university’s Institute for Health and the Environment, is cause for concern.

“I’ve been sort of a spokesperson for this issue [of Wi-Fi health implications],” Carpenter says. “I can’t seem to escape it. I testified to the President’s [Obama’s] cancer panel three years ago, and I testified to the House of Representatives.” The professor also is outspoken on the subjects of fracking, electromagnetic fields from appliances and waste sites, wind turbines, and other environmental health topics.

He’s been studying radiation effects on children since the 1980s. “We confirmed the previous observations that children who live in homes that are very close to power lines are more likely to have leukemia,” he says. “There are now appearing studies of leukemia around cell phone towers and around radio transmission towers.”

Carpenter thinks that cell phone and Wi-Fi radiation are similar. “The exposure that you get from using Wi-Fi is exactly the same. I have Wi-Fi in my home; it’s not like I am vehemently opposed to Wi-Fi in all circumstances. But the issue with schools is that in an electronic computer room in a school where every kid has a wireless laptop, you are going to have a hotbed of radio frequency radiation. Every child in that room is going to get radio frequency radiation that at some level probably will be approaching that which they would get if they were on a cell phone.”
Carpenter believes that school administrators are in the dark on this topic. “They want to be contemporary with technology, and I don’t disagree with that at all,” he says. “I think it’s just not responsible for school administrators to implement a program that may put students at risk both of developing diseases like cancer and impairing their ability to learn, when there are alternatives [namely wired Internet] that don’t do that.”

Ray Pealer, a community health advocate living in Vermont who runs wifiiinschools.com, notes that while Wi-Fi advocates reference that school Wi-Fi routers function within FCC (Federal Communications Commission) safety standards, he thinks that those standards are inadequate. “They do not recognize any biological effects other than heat, despite thousands of peer-reviewed studies showing a myriad of other effects,” he says.

In 2012, [U.S. Rep. Dennis] Kucinich endorsed a bill requiring cell phones to have warnings similar to those on cigarette packs. “It’s not going to be easy to make the legislative process work in this case because of the enormous financial resources the industry has at its disposal,” he said in September 2012.

Radiation studies go back to at least 1932, when “microwave or radio sickness” was reported by the British NAVY as fatigue, insomnia, headaches, high susceptibility to infection and general anxiety. Carpenter adds that these concerns are amplified for kids. “There are reports of reduced ability for kids to learn, there appear to be some people that are particularly sensitive to radiation and respond by having headaches, fatigue, ringing in their ears.”

The World Health Organization has been studying the radiation effects on children since 2009; however it has no official recommended safety level for any age group. Pealer adds, “There is evidence, it’s growing that if you are younger then the risk is even greater than if you are older. That is a concern because these days every kid has a cell phone.”

Pealer references a Yale School of Medicine study indicating that wireless exposure causes ADD (attention deficit disorder) in mice. According to YaleNews, “Their conclusion was that exposure to radiation from cell phones during pregnancy effects the brain development of offspring, potentially leading to hyperactivity.” Another 2008 study at the University of California-Los Angeles, titled “Prenatal and Postnatal Exposure,” linked cell phone exposure with hyperactivity.

Not every study draws the conclusion that wireless is potentially dangerous to humans, including a recently released study in New Zealand indicating that Wi-Fi exposure to children is relatively harmless.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer of the World Health Organization officially classifies Wi-Fi radiation as a “possible carcinogen.” Carpenter explains that means Wi-Fi gets a three on a one-to-five scale. “Known is the strongest, then probable, then possible, then not, and finally unclassifiable.” Other IARC possible carcinogens include asbestos, lead, paint, and DDT.

“It means that the evidence is suggestive but not absolutely definitive,” says Carpenter. “There is evidence that people exposed to high radio frequency fields are more likely to develop cancer. But they can’t quite say that the cancer was caused by those fields because that evidence is still being looked at. And that evidence is primarily from studying cell phones.”

The professor further compares cell phone studies to Wi-Fi. “The difference is that most people don’t stay on a cell phone more than 10 minutes, maybe. Sitting in a classroom, you can be there all day. What we are concerned about is both the intensity and the duration.” He notes that school Wi-Fi routers are advertised as “industrial strength,” stronger than home routers because they service more computers.

A report in 1971 by the U.S. Naval Medical Research Institute, obtained through the Freedom of Information Law, suggests that the wireless industry may be withholding information about potential danger. An excerpt reads, “If the more advanced nations of the West are strict in enforcement of stringent exposure standards, there could be unfavorable effects an industrial output and military functions.” The NMRI documented more than 2,300 research articles citing more than 120 illnesses associated with non-ionizing (non-heating) microwave radiation.

Carpenter says that the most practical solution is to use cables. “No one is going to deny that kids should be using technology and the Internet. A wired computer lab gives you no exposure whatsoever to radio frequency radiation. From my judgment, there is just no reason to go to a wireless school computer lab.”

Pealer says that we can use hands-free devices for our cell phones, and use line phones instead of DECT (digital enhanced cordless telecommunications) cordless phones, which emit radiation even when not in use. He also recommends that people who are regularly exposed to these technologies take supplements such as vitamin C, ginseng and antioxidants to counter radiation effects.

More government regulation might be a hard sell in the United States, but some European nations have taken steps to ban or limit cell phone use among children, and the Council of Europe has recommended that Wi-Fi be banned from all schools in Europe. San Francisco is considering putting warning labels (like those proposed by Kucinich) on cell phones.

Carpenter warns against becoming too paranoid. “I think that one has to have some perspective, as one cannot avoid all the different things that could be dangerous. If you can do things that decrease your exposure that are not expensive, that are not terribly difficult, even if the evidence for how dangerous it is still somewhat debatable. It’s still stupid not to do that.”

Pealer counters that some of us aren’t paranoid enough. “A lot of people, when they hear the term ‘research,’ they disqualify themselves. Also because wireless technology is so popular, people are so addicted to it, that they don’t really want to look at the issue.”

“My public responsibility is to protect people from getting sick even if we don’t have all of the answers of what the mechanism is,” concludes Carpenter, “In this situation, I think it is extremely unsafe to go to Wi-Fi in schools. Of all places, schools should be the last.”

Anyone with any familiarity with the issue want to comment? On the surface it seems ludicrous to connect non-ionizing radiation to cancer, and it seems that even the research they are bringing up mostly has to do with pregnancy, not childhood, but I'm just a physicist in training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not sure this particular harmful scientific monster has appeared in this thread, so I present to you, the ADD-causing, cancer-inducing, kid-hating phenomenon: :ghost: wifi in schools! :siren:

Anyone with any familiarity with the issue want to comment? On the surface it seems ludicrous to connect non-ionizing radiation to cancer, and it seems that even the research they are bringing up mostly has to do with pregnancy, not childhood, but I'm just a physicist in training.

These people are idiots and probably don't realize they have likely spent their entire lives within a few miles of at least one transmitter that is millions of times more powerful than any wifi.

• Locked thread