Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
While ripping apart my trunk for a retaining nut that mysteriously vanished from the taillight, I found out why the factory XM radio hasn't worked since I got the car. It wasn't plugged in :downs: Now the satellite radio works AND I found the tail light nut. Other than that I washed it and detailed the interior. Now if I can only find that lugnut key...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
I checked the oil level, found it to be about 1/4th above the min-marker on the dipstick. When I wanted to check for sludge under the fillercap in the top of the engine, the entire plastic cover came with because it wasn't put back properly by the mechanic who did the belts a few months ago.

Filling up with a litre of 5W35 and putting the cover back properly has cured the strange whinge that the engine made after a cold start. The very same whinge I went back to the mechanic for 3 times and they couldn't find a thing wrong.

Now I'm wondering if it was indeed the plastic cover that rubbed on the camshaft pulley or whether I've been driving around with far too little oil for months. But if there was too little oil, why didn't the oil light come on sooner? I really hope this hasn't ruined expensive bits of the engine.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The oil light is very likely an "oh gently caress stop stop stop gently caress" light rather than an "hey might wanna check" light, and if it was still above min on the dipstick you're likely fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The oil light is usually an oil pressure light, and you have to starve the oil pump before it comes on, which requires an oil level much lower than "min" on the dipstick.

It'll be fine.

My mechanic told me of a customer with the same model car as me, a Peugeot 406 with the EW12J4 4-cylinder. This engine has a thirst for oil straight from the factory, which isn't a problem as long as you keep an eye on it and check the oil once a month or so.

This particular customer managed to run his car so low on oil that it needed over 3.5 liters to top up, which is pretty horrifying on an engine that takes 4.25 liters on an oil+filter change. I think he finally managed to kill it after 3-4 repeats.

This also means that he would have had to completely ignore the "LOW OIL LEVEL WARNING" chime and message on the display every single time he started the car for at least 6 months.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 10, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, it's actually kind of abhorrent that manufacturers actually don't put REAL oil level sensors in cars now. There's really zero reason why there couldn't be an in cabin light long before the level is low enough to do damage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

You know, it's actually kind of abhorrent that manufacturers actually don't put REAL oil level sensors in cars now. There's really zero reason why there couldn't be an in cabin light long before the level is low enough to do damage.

New Subarus have both an oil level and oil pressure light, from what I've heard.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My BMW (2004) tells me when the oil level is low - usually right about the 'min' level on the dipstick or slightly higher.

Hell, the newer BMWs don't even have dipsticks and depend entirely on oil level sensors.

Which is good since I don't know that BMW has ever made an engine that doesn't burn some oil from the factory. :downs:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My wife dinged one of my doors pretty good putting one of the kids in her car, the wind caught the door and left a good sized dent. I took it to a good PDR guy and it's as good as new again. I don't have an after picture, but you can't tell that dent was ever there. It was the very corner edge of her car door, so the center of the dent was pretty deep. The PDR guy was even able to buff out the scratch left behind under the paint from her car. The repair only cost 100 bucks and took about an hour.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

bull3964 posted:

My ~13 year old Peugeot has this, a little oil level gauge that comes to life when you flick the ignition on.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Considering most of the car-driving public will continue to drive their car after the oil pressure light comes on and not stop until the engine seizes I doubt putting an oil level gauge in the cluster will make much of a difference. Or worse - people will assume you don't need to change the oil until the level gauge reaches E.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
All this oil talk makes me swoon.

It seems as though the harsh Canadian winter has finally started to subside and we may actually be in for spring weather at some point. So i did what anybody else would do: start the annual detail and oil change on the NSX. So far I've washed and clayed the car, with tonight's job starting the polish portion. Tomorrow night is the sealant and Saturday morning is the interior clean.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jammyozzy posted:

My ~13 year old Peugeot has this, a little oil level gauge that comes to life when you flick the ignition on.

It's also extremely inaccurate unless your car is on 100% level ground. Double check with the dipstick regularly.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Oh yeah it's useless at measuring anything more accurate than 'some', but it's an earlier warning than the idiot light and at least makes me slightly less anxious when I hop in the car after it's been sat for a few days.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Washed the car today and took off the winter tires, put the summer rims on and realized that I didn't wash the car before I took the summers off last year. So now I have a clean and shiny car with dirty rims and tires. :emo:

Crunkenstein
Nov 4, 2009
Lubed up and installed a new front beam on my '59 Beetle, and finally got the WRX into the tire shop to get the summer tires put back on.

Also discovered a myriad of PO related issues with the Beetle when taking the old beam off, my favorite being the completely missing inner wheel bearing on the front driver's side wheel. I had put over 1000 miles on it like that, too. :gonk:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wait, by "missing" you mean damaged, right? Not like.. never was there?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GTi_guy posted:

All this oil talk makes me swoon.

It seems as though the harsh Canadian winter has finally started to subside and we may actually be in for spring weather at some point. So i did what anybody else would do: start the annual detail and oil change on the NSX. So far I've washed and clayed the car, with tonight's job starting the polish portion. Tomorrow night is the sealant and Saturday morning is the interior clean.

Hahaha, that plate is awesome.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Finally got around to changing the oil. Didn't realize just how long it had been - 10,754 miles/5 months. :stonk:

Sent a sample off to Blackstone, wonder how hilarious that will be. They did tell me to try 10k on the next oil change though... :allears:

The ridiculous part is the oil was still right on the full mark. Never owned a car that didn't need at least a half quart every 3-5k..

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
my car got schwooped on by east indian jason statham

nsfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUQSTzuY-Q
nsfw

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

drukqs posted:

my car got schwooped on by east indian jason statham

nsfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUQSTzuY-Q
nsfw

oops sorry didnt timg

he's won a major award

and owns a few ferraris

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

some texas redneck posted:

Finally got around to changing the oil. Didn't realize just how long it had been - 10,754 miles/5 months. :stonk:

Sent a sample off to Blackstone, wonder how hilarious that will be. They did tell me to try 10k on the next oil change though... :allears:

The ridiculous part is the oil was still right on the full mark. Never owned a car that didn't need at least a half quart every 3-5k..

That's still within the normal oil change interval for most modern cars (12K miles/20K km) with synthetic/semi-synthetic, don't worry about it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Remember 99% of my driving is very short trips (1-5 miles). I also grew up on the old mindset of "if you go past 3k, you're a <insert something related to communism>". Also, the oil change thing went off about 2-3k ago (though I believe it's calibrated for conventional oil).

That said, Blackstone will tell me just how good/bad I've been; I collected a sample, and dropped it off at the post office about an hour after I changed the oil. So hopefully in a week or two, I'll know just how bad the oil was. My first sample to them was from my last oil change; same oil on both oil changes (Mobil 1 5W30), different filter (first sample had been run through a Bosch filter, the sample I just sent went through an OEM filter)

It got the "extended performance" Mobil 1 synthetic this time, though only because it was the same price as normal Mobil 1 ($26 for 5 qts). The next oil change will definitely have a sample sent to Blackstone; I'm really curious to know what the difference is between the oils.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 11, 2014

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Technically it was Wednesday but the weather has been getting so nice here in WA I decided to give it a bath;

Good ole Brown Bear, there for you when you don't have a driveway :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That doesn't look like a Miata.

Or an Integra.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Replaced the bashed in side mirror with a brand new OEM one off ebay. 30 minute job, didn't break a single plastic tab getting the trim off, and saved over $250 on what the dealer wanted to charge for the job - the mirror only comes as a whole unit and costs almost $400!

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahaha, that plate is awesome.

Thanks, I need to take some better pictures when it isn't twilight.

Last night I got lazy and sat on the couch, so it looks like a marathon session tonight and tomorrow morning. I've got a party to go to tomorrow night and I want to drive my car, damnit!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Pulled the engine out of the race Charade to swap into the Rocky as I change the headgasket on the original engine. The race car is now a chopped up chassis :(

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

DJ Commie posted:

Pulled the engine out of the race Charade to swap into the Rocky as I change the headgasket on the original engine. The race car is now a chopped up chassis :(

RIP Charade race car. At least it was raced before it was put out to pasture.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Got new rear tires! Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs. Went from a 265 to 255 width because they were rubbing juuust barely on super hard cornering and it sounded like death. Now its perfecto. Also smooooth.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I previously installed two fuel filters after a bunch of gunk got into my carburetor, and after a few tanks of gas I decided it's time to switch. Now i'm running the risk of only one filter but it looks like anything that made it through the first one made it through the second one anyway.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Final prep for summer.

Fluids!

Improvising a drain plug tool.

Pulling the ECU data for a remote tune.

...And back on the ground. The car seems so short after being on jackstands for 6 months.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

StormDrain posted:

I previously installed two fuel filters after a bunch of gunk got into my carburetor, and after a few tanks of gas I decided it's time to switch. Now i'm running the risk of only one filter but it looks like anything that made it through the first one made it through the second one anyway.

Time for a new tank or switching where you buy fuel? Your fuel should not be so dirty.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

New engine for my other ride (s10). Stripping and painting this week. $350 from LKQ

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Threw some Chargespeed brake ducts in place of the fogs. I'm digging the look. Sprayed them gunmetal to match my headlight housings. Figured it was a nice change from the normal color matched/black ones.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

For anyone that hasnt seen my thread, I drove my truck under its own power for the first time in 25 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DwXo6rx9DE

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

EightBit posted:

Time for a new tank or switching where you buy fuel? Your fuel should not be so dirty.

What I forgot to say was I cleaned the tank out a few months ago. It was impossible to get it to drain out completely due to the shape of it, so that was what I could never get out with a dozen rinses. I figured I'd just go through a few $2.00 Wix Filters from Rockauto and move on with my life.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mounted my driver side seat in a non-horrifying way.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Since I'm so productive, I also did a front control arm + balljoint on my MK4 today. FWD can suck a dick.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Very nice Fart Pipe. Can't wait to go for a ride in that bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Commie posted:

I feel so empty right now. That was one of the best things to ever grace AI.