Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Machete, if it's not too much trouble could you get another Eevee with the same specs for me?

Edit: Except nicknamed 'Puck?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pureauthor posted:

Machete, if it's not too much trouble could you get another Eevee with the same specs for me?

It's a huge burden.

I'd be more than happy to. I won't be online for a couple hours though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sick. I'd appreciate if you could hang onto mine til sometime this weekend

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

korusan posted:

What with all the bans of things they find hard the past little while
I think calling it "things they find hard" is uncharitable. Ultimately it boils down to the fact Showdown's demographics have changed - there's a lot of people using it who are not simply bad players, but who have no interest in getting better. They're the ones devising things like Funbro whose purpose isn't to win (other than in the degenerate sense of winning by forcing the opponent to rage-forfeit) but to dick with people and amuse the Funbro user at the expense of others. The same goes for Swagplay - nobody at the top of the ladder thought about using it, and it was only in the suspect test that the good players really started playing with it and devised some really ugly metagamery which vindicated peoples' initial gut reactions.

(Also, if you're using last generation's Ubers list you should remove all of Excadrill, Genesect, Landorus, Manaphy, Thundurus and Therian Tornadus, not just Excadrill and Thundurus.)

e: unless you're saying Mega Lucario was banned because "they find it hard" in which case lol. Mega Lucario is Parental Bond Terrakion with Keldeo strapped to its back riding on a Starmie. It has like four different viable sets each of which has completely different responses, so if you pack the wrong thing or mispredict it'll eat you alive.

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 11, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The degenerate sense of winning through griefing players on Showdown.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Crosscontaminant posted:

I think calling it "things they find hard" is uncharitable. Ultimately it boils down to the fact Showdown's demographics have changed

Maybe the switch from Shoddy to PO and then PO to Showdown caused people to leave/not keep up?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I doubt it. I'd put it down to increased accessibility - fewer people are going to try something on a whim if it requires downloading and installing a piece of software versus clicking a link on a website.

Constable Lemon posted:

The degenerate sense of winning through griefing players on Showdown.
Pardon me for valuing actual competition over seeing who can be the biggest dickhead.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ignite Memories posted:

Sick. I'd appreciate if you could hang onto mine til sometime this weekend

Pureauthor posted:

Edit: Except nicknamed 'Puck?'

I have your Evee's ready.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

I have your Evee's ready.

Cool.

My FC is 4012 4430 7329.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pureauthor posted:

Cool.

My FC is 4012 4430 7329.

I'm online, Penpad in game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm online, Penpad in game.

Thanks for the gift!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

So this went pretty well I think. Probably going to give Clefable Heal Pulse or Follow Me instead of Fling though

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-108600612

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Crosscontaminant posted:

I doubt it. I'd put it down to increased accessibility - fewer people are going to try something on a whim if it requires downloading and installing a piece of software versus clicking a link on a website.

This is exactly it—the player base on Smogon's servers has exploded since the switch to Showdown. In the Pokémon Online days, Smogon wasn't the default server, so people had to actively seek it out; there was also the initial barrier of actually having to install PO.

With Showdown, Smogon's server is the default and the program is more accessible.

The hugely increased load is a big part of why Showdown has always been laggy—the staff didn't expect to have as many players as they do, and their networking fixes have basically been hacked together to compensate.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Crosspost from the trade thread, for anyone who wants to cut a hell of a lot of time off of breeding.

There is apparently a "psuedo RNGing" for egg breeding, where you can ensure a 5 IV spread+Nature if you have the correct IV parents. I'll give the simplified version that I'm now using, involving a 6 IV Everstone Ditto and this 0 IV female Rattled Magikarp from Pokecheck (holding a Destiny Knot).

1. Put 6 IV Ditto and 0 IV Magikarp in the Daycare.
2. Bike until the first eggs appears.
3. Reject first egg, and save immediately after.
3. Bike until the second egg appears.
4. Accept & hatch the second egg.
5. Fly to IV Checker and find IV Spread.
6. Note it down and soft reset.
7. Replace the Ditto and Magikarp with the appropriate parents.
8. Accept the first egg from the new parents, and hatch it. It should have the desired IVs.

So if the IV checker tells me the IVs from Ditto+Magikarp are 31/x/0/0/0/31 (he'll mention what IV's are 0, hence using a 0 IV Magikarp), I then throw in a male with perfect IV's in HP and Speed, and a female with perfect IVs in Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense (Ditto can substitute for either parent). The kid will have a 31/x/31/31/31/31 spread, with whoever holds the Everstone passing down the nature (I've got a 6 IV Ditto of every nature, which is awesome), and if the Magikarp egg passed down Rattled, then using a HA female will also pass down the Hidden Ability.

There's more in-depth explanations in other places online, but this is the simplified version I'm now using to cut huge amounts of time off 5 IV breeding. Sorry for all of you guys that have been doing it the hard way.:v:

SkuttyB
Nov 5, 2010

After 20 days, 21 hours, 56 minutes and 103 attempts at the Elite 4, Twitch has finally beaten Pokémon Emerald!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
As much as I love the move tutors in Black/White 2, I really wish that in the next game you can just pay them instead. Hunting down shards for hours is not my idea of a fun time.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Blaziken386 posted:

As much as I love the move tutors in Black/White 2, I really wish that in the next game you can just pay them instead. Hunting down shards for hours is not my idea of a fun time.

Hell I'd love Move tutors to take an interest in Heart scales if they still want specific items. They could even have an elevating pay scale yes I know :doh: for certain moves if they are worried about it being exploited.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Blaziken386 posted:

A lot of money.

I have made so much bank in the Battle Chateau it's not even funny.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaziken386 posted:

I think Gamefreak assumes that throwing in these arbitrary hurdles for moves or evolutions make the game more interesting. One of the many ways they subscribe to an entirely different type of logic than any normal person.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Blaziken386 posted:

Back in Platinum it wasn't too bad since shards were common as hell in the Underground, which was a lot of fun to play. Seriously, who didn't end up mining for hours and getting a bunch of Shards, Plates, Fossils, Evolution Stones, Heart Scales...

Blaziken386 posted:

What pisses me off is that there's a store in Lumiose called the Stone Emporium. Except you can't buy anything but the fire/water/leaf stones there. No thunder, moon, sun, shiny, dusk, dawn, or everstones. Just Water/Fire/Leaf.
It would have been fine (albeit slightly annoying) if the stock changed daily, like the boutiques, but no, they only sell 3 things.
If you're not going to sell Shards or all the Evolution Stones, bring back the Underground, Gamefreak. Please.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

oddly enough, this is the same Eevee that I'm currently using to breed bold and calm future hyper voice Sylveons.

Best so far has been a bold with 18 def and 31 everything else.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pureauthor posted:

Ask me about getting Earth Power onto a Hydreigon.

Do you need one?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Quick question: I know that sites like Pokecheck use the DNS settings to re-route clone pokemon into the GTS. Did anyone make a site that does something similar for Mystery Gift pokemon/items? Like, for example, the ticket that lets you go to the island place and catch a Victini? Because I want a (semi)legitimate Victini.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

No. And even if you did slap a key item as a held item, it wouldn't do anything. As of Pokemon Platinum, receiving the item via Mystery Gift is required to trigger any events. If you just hacked the actual item into the game and used a Walk-Through-Walls code to get to the Victini island, it wouldn't be there.

Any Key Items or PokeWalker courses or whatever would require your save file and a flash cart.

Of course there's no shortage of caught Victinis on PokeCheck. You just wouldn't be able to nickname it.

(I could probably clone and nickname mine if you really want one)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

No. And even if you did slap a key item as a held item, it wouldn't do anything. As of Pokemon Platinum, receiving the item via Mystery Gift is required to trigger any events. If you just hacked the actual item into the game and used a Walk-Through-Walls code to get to the Victini island, it wouldn't be there.

Any Key Items or PokeWalker courses or whatever would require your save file and a flash cart.

Of course there's no shortage of caught Victinis on PokeCheck. You just wouldn't be able to nickname it.

(I could probably clone and nickname mine if you really want one)

No, I meant like a site where you would be able to trigger downloading the mystery gift itself, as if the event was still going on. Not where you cheat the item from it on.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

pik_d posted:

Do you need one?

No, I'm good. Thanks for the offer anyway.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
:siren:Signups are finally up for the next goonleague tourney.:siren:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

If I remember correctly, the Mystery Gift protocol is encrypted.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's good to play friendly battles. You can win with your favorites, but if you play against randoms you'll only face people whose favorites are better than yours.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bongo Bill posted:

It's good to play friendly battles. You can win with your favorites, but if you play against randoms you'll only face people whose favorites are better than yours.

My favorites own, actually. Get on Escavalier's level.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Crosscontaminant posted:

I think calling it "things they find hard" is uncharitable. Ultimately it boils down to the fact Showdown's demographics have changed - there's a lot of people using it who are not simply bad players, but who have no interest in getting better. They're the ones devising things like Funbro whose purpose isn't to win (other than in the degenerate sense of winning by forcing the opponent to rage-forfeit) but to dick with people and amuse the Funbro user at the expense of others. The same goes for Swagplay - nobody at the top of the ladder thought about using it, and it was only in the suspect test that the good players really started playing with it and devised some really ugly metagamery which vindicated peoples' initial gut reactions.

Funbro and swagger are two very different things. Funbro went against the spirit of the game since it's only purpose is to grief people by prolonging a game indefinitely. Swagplay is just another attempt at winning games the conventional way (knocking out pokemon) that some people consider unfair.
The intent behind each strategy is completely different. Swagplay is about using the game's mechanics to win while funbro is just an exercise in spite.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I do whatever psychological gymnastics are necessary for me to make the six most dominant pokemon in the metagame at the time my favorites so I don't experience cognitive dissonance.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Swagplay is just another attempt at winning games the conventional way (knocking out pokemon) that some people consider unfair.
If that was the case I think we'd have seen it used more often at higher levels of play from day one, which wasn't the case - it was used in the lower ladder, identified on the forum as something ugly that less skilled players were using to get cheap wins, and then only got really unpleasant when people were trying to get reqs on the suspect ladder.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't think "ineffective against competent opponents" is the same as "blatant trolling" like funbro was. The Pyro in TF2 was really easy to play and strong in unorganized play or against bad players, but you rarely saw it in high level play because it's easily countered, but that doesn't mean someone playing Pyro is just trolling or employing degenerate strategies.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heavy players on the other hand are definitely degenerate trolls.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is there something wrong with my 3ds, or is there no 3d in the battle maison for some reason?

edit: Machete, i'll be around most of the day to pick up that eevee when you get a chance.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 12, 2014

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Travis343 posted:

Heavy players on the other hand are definitely degenerate trolls.

Only when they have a dedicated pocket medic.

Edit: I can be online in about an hour.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 12, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is there any of my mons you dont have already? bulbasaur, archen, dratini, scraggy, froakie, slowpoke, pinsir, drifloon, joltik, nidoran, venipede, smeargle, breloom, porygon, rotom, nincada, fletchling, klefki or eevee?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ignite Memories posted:

Is there any of my mons you dont have already? bulbasaur, archen, dratini, scraggy, froakie, slowpoke, pinsir, drifloon, joltik, nidoran, venipede, smeargle, breloom, porygon, rotom, nincada, fletchling, klefki or eevee?

I don't have a Klefki. That'd be cool. I can get in on the swagger spamming.

And I'm getting online now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MacheteZombie posted:

Only when they have a dedicated pocket medic.

Which in this analogy, would be what, a Blissey?

• Locked thread