Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Antinumeric posted:

Yeah prepared invasions. I can seem to do one as the count in Brittany 867 every time, but not always as other rulers.

In the case of Ivar the Boneless and the Jorvik guy, the initial Sons of Lodbrok invasion counts as their once per lifetime prepared invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
Is anyone else having trouble with multiplayer games after 2.1.2? At first my friends sat there trying to connect/searching for host. Then we tried loading the save again and they hit 100% but the load % never turned green and I couldn't click the start button. We tried a new game but had the first issue again.

It was so stable at 2.1.1 :(

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

DStecks posted:

Would you guys be interested in more point-by-point breakdowns of things like I did for combat? Because it seems like every Steam sale we get some completely new players coming in asking about stuff, and the game itself isn't documented very well in terms of the real gameplay flow. We've got the tutorial thread, but that's more LP stuff, I'm talking about more of an old-school Prima strategy guide kinda deal.

Yes. I'd be particularly interested in strategies for playing as DLC factions (Pagan, Muslim, Byzantine, etc.) as most new player guides seem to focus on starting somewhere small, while the DLC factions generally throw you into a mess of varying size. Even as a medium-level player, I learned a couple tricks from your combat writeup, so writing out more in that vein is cool as well. Thanks for your work!

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I'll second that, Stecks. Your last write up was really helpful and if you find yourself with the time, I'd love to read any breakdowns you have. I'm still kind of drowning in mechanics so all help is good help.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Geokinesis posted:

Arghh.

Still playing as Socotra and the ruler of Abyssinia has implemented Elective so all his vassals are happy and no-one will vote for me/join my factions as I'm wrong culture and ruligion.
I did something similar to this as a count awhile ago. I swore fealty to the some elective jerk and managed to expand outside and within the kingdom. As Socortra you probably can't expand outside very well. But inside might work. I fabricated and stabbed my way into a couple extra duchies then handed them off to family members. I lost control over them, but they liked me because I gave them so much land and we were related. It took a lifetime and was a bit gamey, but I managed to get elected by a hair.

Then of course I died.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JGBeagle posted:

If anything, the little sliver of Vegas would probably be a county or something. But I think the majority of the West Coast should be wasteland; much of it (Nevada especially) isn't inhabited today. Of course I'm not saying California is a wasteland. Hell if anything that should be an Empire all of it's own. Have the counties form six kingdoms (to represent the whole Six Californias movement going on for some reason) that form into the Empire of California.

Being a West Coaster I have a lot of ideas for it. :v:

If they borrow the same system as EU4 you can have the Great Basin as uninhabitable but the rest should be assignable.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing my 2.0.4 iron man game the past week, finishing it up before I play RoI, but...last night and today I keep getting an error when saving (saving to the cloud) that there might be incorrect characters in the save/not enough space. It's my only save game on the cloud, and the error seems to come and go...like I might get it for a bit, but then saves start working, or it will go on several times and I'll quit for a bit, and when I come back it starts working. Has anyone heard anything on this?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Tsyni posted:

I've been playing my 2.0.4 iron man game the past week, finishing it up before I play RoI, but...last night and today I keep getting an error when saving (saving to the cloud) that there might be incorrect characters in the save/not enough space. It's my only save game on the cloud, and the error seems to come and go...like I might get it for a bit, but then saves start working, or it will go on several times and I'll quit for a bit, and when I come back it starts working. Has anyone heard anything on this?

I had this error. It's due to memory management or something. Try turning off some of the portrait DLCs if you have them. That fixed it for me.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Started my first RoI game and picked the Byzantine Emperor so I could see how everything developed from a central position.

Expansion was hampered by several revolts by Iconoclasts and Sunni but I'm doing well enough on that front. Have conquered the Duchies of Sicily, Crete, Cyprus, Cicilina, Colenia, Eddessa and Tripoli.

Had the son of Satan event fire. I divorced my wife and banished him in the hopes I'd get to seem him take over another kingdom but he kept killing my sons even though he's now a bastard, so I had him shanked.

I had the best result of a marriage ever. I married my father off to the daughter of the Itlian King at the beginning of the game and the half-sister that resulted inherited somehow and then died of an illness right after turning 16. So I inherited Italy without doing anything. Kind of makes me wish devil boy had killed more of my sons because now my second son will inherit the Empire while the fourth son will inherit Italy.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

What Fun posted:

Yes. I'd be particularly interested in strategies for playing as DLC factions (Pagan, Muslim, Byzantine, etc.) as most new player guides seem to focus on starting somewhere small, while the DLC factions generally throw you into a mess of varying size. Even as a medium-level player, I learned a couple tricks from your combat writeup, so writing out more in that vein is cool as well. Thanks for your work!

This. I picked up all the expacs and would love to know more about which rulers are an easy start for certain groups and just general tips on the differences between them all.

I finally got my haraldr fairhair game going. Have Denmark Norway and sweden , reformed the norse faith and am working on getting rid of gavelkind. Skotland is doing a hell of a job in the isles and the Slavs also managed to reform. I'm going to try and avoid fighting with their blob and push old Norse out of britian and Scotland. Will they naturally go from old Norse to the reformed faith or am I going to have to start stabbing?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you have problems with Sengoku try https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82883139/Sengoku2121.7z

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dick Trauma posted:

Thanks to having seniority inheritance forced on me early in the game my Irish-Italo dynasty is crumbling due to one sick old king after another taking the throne. Vassals keep creating "Replace King of Italy with____" factions and there isn't enough stabbing to stop them all. I think it's time to cast off Italy and hope for a nice quiet reign after which I can switch to an inheritance method that doesn't guarantee Rule of the Ancients.

Stab your family members until you get a more youthful heir? Only works if you didn't go overboard with giving out land to your dynasty.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Darkrenown posted:

^^^ not in the public beta

What's the Tiger hunting bug?

Tiger hunts always fail, even if you kill a tiger. On special occasions where you kill the tiger really hard, they pop up both a failure event and a success event.

Edit: it's possible it's fixed, not sure when the fullpatch dropped and my liege has been way, way too busy to go kill tigers lately, what with the whole Northeast India Thunderdome heating up.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 11, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Fullpatch dropped yesterday. I think Tiger hunts works now, I killed a Tiger earlier in the week and got the hunt succeeded message anyway.

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
So, I don't know if it's just me, but does anyone else have the issue of their Buddhist holy order troops not fighting Jains/Hindus? I'm playing as the Kingdom of Lanka (I forgot what it was called. Lankama? Lankaan?) And everytime I recruit them to fight, they just run. I'm fairly sure they aren't Buddhists either, I'm the only Buddhist power in southern India.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Playing a new ironman Norse campaign, I've created the Empire of Scandinavia and conquered the coast up to France. I was going to ignore the British Isles, but now I've come across something I hadn't seen before. I created a merchant republic in Flanders and put my cousin in charge, as my direct vassal. He has a weak claim on Skotland from his mother's side. My niece, who's a a duchess within Skotland, fired a faction to put my cousin on the throne of Skotland. This made the republic of Flanders independent, why is that?
What's going to happen if they win, will he be both Grand Mayor of Flanders and King of Skotland? Will he still be independent?

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Vodos posted:

Playing a new ironman Norse campaign, I've created the Empire of Scandinavia and conquered the coast up to France. I was going to ignore the British Isles, but now I've come across something I hadn't seen before. I created a merchant republic in Flanders and put my cousin in charge, as my direct vassal. He has a weak claim on Skotland from his mother's side. My niece, who's a a duchess within Skotland, fired a faction to put my cousin on the throne of Skotland. This made the republic of Flanders independent, why is that?
What's going to happen if they win, will he be both Grand Mayor of Flanders and King of Skotland? Will he still be independent?

Seems like your Crown Law isn't high enough and allows outside inheritance. If he loses the bid, he'll probably return to your realm (either automatically or by accepting an offer of vassalization once the war ends), but if he gets the kingdom and stays independent then you're going to have a problem because Kings won't accept vassalization.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Torrannor posted:

Stab your family members until you get a more youthful heir? Only works if you didn't go overboard with giving out land to your dynasty.

Unfortunately too many of the rascals have too low a success chance for me to kill my way down to someone who might rule longer than 5-8 years. Even in CK2 sometimes there are problems too big to stab away.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dick Trauma posted:

Unfortunately too many of the rascals have too low a success chance for me to kill my way down to someone who might rule longer than 5-8 years. Even in CK2 sometimes there are problems too big to stab away.

Heresy! I don't want to hear your filthy lies! :mad:

Well, I don't know your exact situation, but could you let somebody else take your highest title and then form a faction to change succession to gavelkind or elective even, and then press your claim/get yourself elected emperor/king again, with a better succession law (of course gavelkind is garbage long term, but still better than having a never ending succession of old men die after a few years).

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

So do Indian rulers actually work like they're supposed to with this new patch? I want to get my elephant on but I don't want to wade through a million revolts first. :shobon:

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

ZeroCount posted:

So do Indian rulers actually work like they're supposed to with this new patch? I want to get my elephant on but I don't want to wade through a million revolts first. :shobon:

that's what it says in the change log

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

ZeroCount posted:

It sounded like the obscene revolt risk was from misunderstanding the units, so it was off by two orders of magnitude.

It also seems like the revolt risk in general is higher in the released patch than the beta patch.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

:effort:POST ON DLC FACTIONS FOR NEW PLAYERS, Part 1: Muslims and Republics

(This won't be nearly as in-depth as the combat guide, and should be taken more as a personal opinion than anything definitive. Because I have less experience with these groups than the main Catholic groups, I may error in my descriptions, and will try to quickly correct any that are pointed out.)

-Sword of Islam:

Islam is probably the most fleshed-out of all the DLC-only religions, with the possible exception of Norse paganism. It's a lot more of a warfare-oriented gameplay flow than Catholicism, with a lot more solid options for conquest.

Decadence is perhaps Islam's defining gameplay mechanic, and exists to balance the easy blobbing Muslim realms can experience. While it was an absolute pain in the rear end to deal with for much of its life, the ROI has defanged decadence, and it's now actually manageable. The gist of decadence is that unlanded, vice-driven family members can gain the "Decadent" trait, which will contribute to your dynasty's Decadence score. Once this reaches 100%, there is a high likelihood of a Decadence Revolt occurring. Previously, this meant very little, but in concept it is supposed to depose you and dismantle your empire. I haven't seen any happen post-ROI, so I can't speak to their efficacy at the moment.

Like many non-Christian religions, Muslims have access to the Conquest casus belli, which allows them to annex any single bordering province for the low, low price of 20 piety. However, truces still come into play, so it's best to gobble up all your neighboring OPM's (one-province minors) before moving up to the bigger fish. This CB allows for some very rapid expansion, even within Muslim heartlands, where Christians are limited to forging claims as their base one-province annexation CB.

For 1000 piety, Muslims can use the Invasion CB to seize all of a non-Muslim ruler's holdings within a de jure kingdom. To do this, the target ruler must have at least 6 counties within the kingdom, and the attacker must have either at least 1 county in the target kingdom, or a border with the target ruler. Because of this, it is not often that you will get to use Invasion, especially considering that many of the kingdoms Muslims are likely to target (the northern kingdoms of Spain) don't even have six counties, meaning that they can never be targeted with that CB.

Islamic realms are locked into agnatic succession, and a unique succession law called Open. Under Open succession, the most powerful son inherits everything. "Most Powerful" here appears to mean the son with the most troops loyal to him, so generally speaking the one with the largest demesne/most vassals. This can theoretically be used to designate an heir, but it doesn't have the safety of Elective's free redesignation, and depends on you having titles to distribute.

Muslims can also have multiple wives. Not concubines, wives; each still counts for marriage alliances. However, only your first wife gives you a stat boost. Wives will very frequently plot to murder each other's children, to ensure that their son is the one who inherits.

Overall, Muslims are interesting to play if you want to build up a big empire and deal more with internal politics than any external threats. Once you reach a certain size, as Muslim realms tend to do, even under AI control, your only real threats are decadence and Crusades. There's also a random event where you "accidentally" have sex with a belly dancer right in front of your entire court, which is pretty baller.

-The Republic:

Merchant Republics play drastically differently from feudal realms, and it's not very intuitive as to what you're supposed to do. There are three major ideas to wrap your head around: patrician family politics, retinue-based military, and trade post conquest.

Unlike feudal realms, where the number of vassals is determined by the size of the realm, in a merchant republic you'll always have precisely four big vassals: the other merchant families. (You can have non-patrician vassals, but the patrician families will usually be dominant). These are the people with whom you'll be vying for control of the republic.

As a doge, you bear two titles: You are the elected head of the merchant republic, and the most senior member of your patrician family. Upon your death, the patrician with the highest "campaign score" will replace you, and it's your duty to ensure that the one chosen is your successor as patrician of the family. Campaign score is increased by age, prestige, and by a campaign fund that you can spend gold to contribute to. To ensure that your successor wins the election, make sure that you are always 500 campaign score ahead of the second-place patrician, since the AI will make last-possible-second campaign fund investments. The AI will not, however, ever donate enough money to beat a 500-point lead. It's a quirk of the AI, and you'll need to exploit it to stay on top.

The title of family patrician will usually pass to the next-oldest member of the family; however, you can manually designate an heir. This is done by giving the "Designated Heir" honorary title to the person who you want to succeed you.

Instead of feudal realms, where the military is levy based, a merchant republic usually protects itself (and conquers) through extensive use of retinues and mercenaries. There is a Palace upgrade path which gives you more retinues, and that should always be your first priority.

Now, for maybe the most important part for new players: how to expand a merchant republic. The first step is to have a trade post in the county you want to conquer. The trade post does not need to belong to your family. Having a trade post in a foreign county gives you the City Conquest CB against the county's owner, which allows you to seize that county's city. This on its own means very little, but having the city then gives you the County Conquest CB, which allows you to seize the county outright. The county title will then be given to the patrician of the family which owns the local trade post, and it will become part of your realm.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Italy you are rich and beautiful but I'm sick and tired of your poo poo. I'm breaking up with you.

I found that somehow a few blobs of Italy remained with Ireland so to make sure things in Italy stay interesting I granted them all independence.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
DStecks = :eng101: Thank you.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

Saitorr posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with multiplayer games after 2.1.2? At first my friends sat there trying to connect/searching for host. Then we tried loading the save again and they hit 100% but the load % never turned green and I couldn't click the start button. We tried a new game but had the first issue again.

It was so stable at 2.1.1 :(

Looks like it was just a bad day to try a multiplayer game, 2.1.2 broke it, 2.1.3 rolled out today and fixes it.

2014-04-11: v2.1.3
--------------------

- Fixed broken MP from v2.1.2
- All Muslim rulers are now notified and given an imprisonment reason when a dynasty member refuses to straighten up
- Added a notification event when a dynasty member goes decadent
- Only Kshatriya women are generated in feudal Indian courts
- Can no longer pick the "Excommunicated" trait in the ruler designer
- Fixed a bug where dead characters could get the wrong liege set
- Fixed bug where the "Become King" ambition would abort due to holding a temporary revolter kingdom
- Added better text when losing decadence from a title grant
- Adjusted to care more about Caste for marriages

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

CommonTerry posted:

Seems like your Crown Law isn't high enough and allows outside inheritance. If he loses the bid, he'll probably return to your realm (either automatically or by accepting an offer of vassalization once the war ends), but if he gets the kingdom and stays independent then you're going to have a problem because Kings won't accept vassalization.

Crown laws were on medium, however everyone involved except the king of Skotland was of my dynasty. I tried to intervene, but unsuccessfully. I invited a cousin of another branch of my dynasty who also had a weak claim on Skotland to my court and won a war to put him on the throne, while the revolt to install my other cousin was still ongoing. Unfortunately, that did not end said revolt. While I was trying to murder the other claimain cousin, another revolt (not from my dynasty) to take the throne of Skotland broke out and since Skotland was now my vassal, I couldn't intervene there either. They quickly won and then crushed the initial revolt. This put the republic of Flanders back into my realm, but as vassal of Skotland, no clue why. I also can't ask the king of Skotland to retract vassalage of Flanders.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The small changes they still keep making to Ruler Designer puzzle and amuse me.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gregen posted:

- Can no longer pick the "Excommunicated" trait in the ruler designer

But that was my favourite exploit!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dry Hump posted:

So, I don't know if it's just me, but does anyone else have the issue of their Buddhist holy order troops not fighting Jains/Hindus? I'm playing as the Kingdom of Lanka (I forgot what it was called. Lankama? Lankaan?) And everytime I recruit them to fight, they just run. I'm fairly sure they aren't Buddhists either, I'm the only Buddhist power in southern India.

Working As Intended probably, the Indian religions are relatively non-heretical to each other and just provide a modest relations malus. Your holy orders beat up on Muslims fine.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Caufman posted:

The small changes they still keep making to Ruler Designer puzzle and amuse me.

Yeah, I mean, I'm honestly the kind of guy to go for "not playing the game right" complaints, but they're just being anal about it. I mean, ruler designer locks out achievements anyway, why spend time tweaking a weird little thing that's kinda game-y anyway? It feels equivalent to trying to balance a save game editor.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThomasPaine posted:

But that was my favourite exploit!

This one might actually be for a good reason, as it SEEMED like being able to pick Excommunicated caused some tiny bugs involving heresies that could lock you into being Excommunicated forever.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hey I dunno if this is a common problem but the ruler of Makuria in the 867 start is consistently being generated as Duchess Zacharias III, despite being a dude.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Okay, I have a problem in the American mod:

Why does he have two noses and how did that happen. I touched portraits_african.gfx, but I haven't messed with the other portraits files at all, and the culture he has is occitangfx, which isn't affected by any of the dlc as far as I'm aware.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grand Tournaments still aren't ending properly :sigh:. I usually get announcements for the first and second place finishers, but so far nothing for third place and no notification that the tournament has concluded until my ruler dies. In some cases this has been over 20 years since the start of the tournament. Fortunately, after the first few months nobody seems to be getting maimed by the tournament during those 20 years.

Ofaloaf posted:

Why does he have two noses and how did that happen. I touched portraits_african.gfx, but I haven't messed with the other portraits files at all, and the culture he has is occitangfx, which isn't affected by any of the dlc as far as I'm aware.

This is a problem in the main game as well.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 11, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

McGavin posted:

This is a problem in the main game as well.

I've somehow managed to overlook it before, then. Nevermind me, then. :downs:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

I started seeing that after the most recent patch. Don't think you did anything. At first I thought it as some sort of hideous wound.

Do the additional music packs ever go on sale? I got a couple of them long ago in my starter purchase bundle and really liked them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I think I've found a bug with the multiple lovers thing. It looks like bastard children of lovers after the first don't pop up the normal event to legitimize/acknowledge/disown - I just get a notice that a child was born to an unknown father, and indeed, the kid only has the mother listed as a parent. But if I turn on charinfo 1, I'm listed as the 'real father.'

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 11, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

McGavin posted:

Grand Tournaments still aren't ending properly :sigh:. I usually get announcements for the first and second place finishers, but so far nothing for third place and no notification that the tournament has concluded until my ruler dies. In some cases this has been over 20 years since the start of the tournament. Fortunately, after the first few months nobody seems to be getting maimed by the tournament during those 20 years.
They should totally throw in some Caligula options where you can do crazy poo poo like mandate the neverending Thunderdome tournament in exchange for making everyone hate you and picking up Lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Seoinin posted:

Hey I dunno if this is a common problem but the ruler of Makuria in the 867 start is consistently being generated as Duchess Zacharias III, despite being a dude.

Loaded up my game and he appeared as a Duke just fine in 867. My current full game had a King rename himself to Queen (of Bulgaria) while Possessed, but I have never found an event that may cause it. :shrug:

• Locked thread