Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

fuf posted:

omg Internet Explorer 8 :negative:
So much wasted time.

Three things:

1) What is the actual market share for IE8? I keep seeing different numbers, ranging from like 1% to 20%.
because those are across different sites. Forget those numbers, what percentage of visitors to your site use IE8?

fuf posted:

2) What are people's thoughts on displaying a "You are using an outdated browser, you should update" message for IE8 users? Do you think maybe it comes across badly and annoys users?
does your boss, project manager, CEO etc feel that the potential loss of revenue from IE8 users outweighs the additional cost in developing for them?

fuf posted:

3) Bootstrap etc advocate a "mobile first" approach where you default to a one-column mobile layout and then use media queries to adjust for wider screens. But IE8 doesn't support media queries. So do you a) write a whole separate stylesheet for IE8? b) use a polyfill to get media queries working in IE8, or c) forget "mobile first" and make your default layout the one that IE8 users will see?
(I couldn't get (b) to work, so I did (a). If I was starting from scratch I think I would do (c))
I ended up using a polyfill for Foundation. No person is going to be running IE8 on mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fuf posted:

So much wasted time.

Three things:

2) What are people's thoughts on displaying a "You are using an outdated browser, you should update" message for IE8 users?

Remember that a non-trivial percentage if people using IE 8 simply cannot update or use anything else due to organizationa policy.

As for #3, if your site is usable even if you delete your media queries, who cares if IE8 gets the "mobile" version. That said, if your mobile container rule isn't width:100%;max-width:some-sane-number-based-on-your-type-size then you should switch frameworks or tweak yours so it is that way.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

We dropped IE8 from our default testing stack a few months ago, and life has been so much better ever since. If clients want/need IE8 support, they can pay extra for it.

That is all I have to contribute here except to agree that you should look at stats for your own audience before taking our advice.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Lumpy posted:

Remember that a non-trivial percentage if people using IE 8 simply cannot update or use anything else due to organizationa policy.

As for #3, if your site is usable even if you delete your media queries, who cares if IE8 gets the "mobile" version. That said, if your mobile container rule isn't width:100%;max-width:some-sane-number-based-on-your-type-size then you should switch frameworks or tweak yours so it is that way.

The only reason my firm updated away from IE8 is that our biggest/most important vendor put a "welp sorry dudes better upgrade" message up, and as a result we upgraded within a week after a VIP freaked out.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The company I'm presently at loves to outsource operations so what happens is the majority of those sites require > IE8 and thus users need to use Chrome, but all the horrendous internal sites only work IE6-8 so the user has to constantly juggle back and forth.

Still amazed that VMware vCloud Director has really poo poo browser support, who writes something new so broken?

It doesn't work in IE8 or anything using Webkit, Firefox is the only reliable client.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The only reason my firm updated away from IE8 is that our biggest/most important vendor put a "welp sorry dudes better upgrade" message up, and as a result we upgraded within a week after a VIP freaked out.

While that may indeed happen, I suspect your firm is the exception. My main point was that many organizations do not allow users to install or update software themselves.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of Django and REST, I'm planning on using Highstock to recreate my old stock charting web app. I wanted to add more functionality to the old app and also make it more dependent on client-side scripting. I'm wondering how I should serve historical stock data to the script.

In a prior attempt at reviving my app, I made a really rudimentary API that served an array of datetime-price data for a given stock symbol, meaning that it was generated server side. What I did was use Pandas' Yahoo! Finance API functionality to get all the stock data, processed it, and served a JS array when a stock symbol was queried.

Also, Django-REST-Framework seems focused on serving data from a database, rather than helping me serve something like that. I don't know if it will help me in this case.

I can't help but think that processing on and getting the data from the server is not very efficient, but I don't know what else I could use. Yahoo! used to serve historical data through YQL, but the historicaldata table has been blocked. I could also get the CSV of the data like so, but I don't know if I'd get blocked from doing a bunch of queries on that. Is making an API solely to serve historical stock data still really that bad an idea?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 7, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm looking for ideas/inspiration for a modern-looking way for adding a related object in a CRUD-style app.

For example, say I have a form for adding a Job to the users database. A Job can have associated Vendors and the form allows the user to select an existing Vendor or add a new one. What's a nice way of doing this?

My current dumb version has a section of the form that has a list of currently added vendors, a section for selecting an existing vendor, and a link that pops up a modal with a form for adding a new vendor.

Any other ideas, or can you point me to any sites doing this in an interesting way?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I'm looking for ideas/inspiration for a modern-looking way for adding a related object in a CRUD-style app.

For example, say I have a form for adding a Job to the users database. A Job can have associated Vendors and the form allows the user to select an existing Vendor or add a new one. What's a nice way of doing this?

My current dumb version has a section of the form that has a list of currently added vendors, a section for selecting an existing vendor, and a link that pops up a modal with a form for adding a new vendor.

Any other ideas, or can you point me to any sites doing this in an interesting way?

This is default behavior for has_many/belongs_to/children relationships in Hobo, which is a superfast prototyping thing for Rails. I would not really recommend it for anything serious at all, but I've used it a bunch of times when I've tried to get a fully functional app up and running in a couple hours.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thermopyle posted:

Are you talking about the UI? If so, you could put a "New" option in the select list that shows the form inline on select.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kobayashi posted:

Are you talking about the UI?

Yes.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This is default behavior for has_many/belongs_to/children relationships in Hobo, which is a superfast prototyping thing for Rails. I would not really recommend it for anything serious at all, but I've used it a bunch of times when I've tried to get a fully functional app up and running in a couple hours.

Wow, Hobo 2.0's screencast intro looks really cool. Definitely made me want to spend a day or two messing around with it. What are some of your concerns with it in production?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
:siren: http://heartbleed.com/ :siren:

Haven't seen this posted in the last few pages. We have a shiny new openSSL vulnerability please update your servers people.

You can check your domain here: http://filippo.io/Heartbleed

ps. I won my contract negotiation and the non-compete was removed.

edit: added some clarity. changed the test site, no more little checkbox.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 8, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
^^^ Be sure to tick the "Do not show the results on the boards" on the above test

Good to hear about the contract Oh My Science!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

ps. I won my contract negotiation and the non-compete was removed.

Contgrats! How'd you eventually get them to give in?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

kedo posted:

"Let me ask you a question -- do you really want to go to all this effort to hire a guy stupid enough to sign a contract with those clauses in it?"

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

I'm building something similar for my work at the minute, using basically the same visual pattern as a todo list. So you'd concatenate your separate lists + modal into one block (delineated by colour/horizontal separator/whatever), with the final list entry an 'add new' button. Expand/contract to display/enter further info, rather than pulling in a modal. Dead simple, basically stripping form styling and rebuilding with CSS/JS. I had some nice examples which I'll try and dig out.

You get a very fluid interface (with simpler, more structured styling in many ways), and better ui performance on smaller viewports (target areas more obviously delineated for one thing, & my test users liked the flow much better than obvious form elements). Forces you to think about it (from structural/design side) as a more reactive interface, rather than as a bog standard form, which is a good thing, plus the interaction/transition methods and structures start to write themselves pretty quickly as well.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

RobertKerans posted:

I'm building something similar for my work at the minute, using basically the same visual pattern as a todo list. So you'd concatenate your separate lists + modal into one block (delineated by colour/horizontal separator/whatever), with the final list entry an 'add new' button. Expand/contract to display/enter further info, rather than pulling in a modal. Dead simple, basically stripping form styling and rebuilding with CSS/JS. I had some nice examples which I'll try and dig out.

If you have a lot of entries, making 'add new' the last one in a list can make discovery of that option very hard. Make sure you test with 100 or 500 entries.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

kedo posted:

I consulted a laywer and gave them the option of adding a consideration clause or dropping the non-compete, I'm guessing my bosses lawyer didn't laugh at that. They didn't want to give me a years worth of salary when I leave.

:siren: please check your servers for heartbleed vulnerability :siren:

Sorry, it's worth repeating.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

fuf posted:

So much wasted time.

This is me. Right now.

If we didn't have 13% of our userbase alone with the client using IE8, I would have drop-kicked IE8 support to begin with.

Alas. :sigh:

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Lumpy posted:

If you have a lot of entries, making 'add new' the last one in a list can make discovery of that option very hard. Make sure you test with 100 or 500 entries.

Yeah, we've the advantage that there's a (low) fixed upper limit. With large amounts, I'd probably look at using a search field with parameters to allow users to rapidly drill down through whatever list/select solution was used.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Potentially dumb question I'm having a hard time googling for whatever reason:

What's an easy way to set something on a parent container and all child containers that tells the browser "render this when you try to print, but not anything above this in the DOM" ?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
What exactly are you trying to do? I suppose you could add a css entry for everything NOT of the ID/class of the container and set display:none, but that's super hacky - :not doesn't really work well in IE I don't think.

You can't change the html layout and just throw everything prior to that in a container that then gets hidden..?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Potentially dumb question I'm having a hard time googling for whatever reason:

What's an easy way to set something on a parent container and all child containers that tells the browser "render this when you try to print, but not anything above this in the DOM" ?

code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="print.css" type="text/css" media="print" />

<div class="outer">
    Don't print me.
    <div class="inner">
    But do print me.
    </div>
</div>
code:
/* print.css */
.outer { visibility: collapse; }
.inner { visibility: visible; position: absolute; top: 0; left; 0 }
This will keep the rest from rendering, but it could cause a bunch of blank space to be allocated. To do otherwise, you could use "Print this!" button that hoisted out the relevant part of the DOM, hid the rest, and called window.print.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Couldn't you just do something like:

code:
.outer > * {
     display: none;
}
.outer > .inner {
     display: block;
}
Would break if .inner is nested in anything, but you could work around that.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="print.css" type="text/css" media="print" />

<div class="outer">
    Don't print me.
    <div class="inner">
    But do print me.
    </div>
</div>
code:
/* print.css */
.outer { visibility: collapse; }
.inner { visibility: visible; position: absolute; top: 0; left; 0 }
This will keep the rest from rendering, but it could cause a bunch of blank space to be allocated. To do otherwise, you could use "Print this!" button that hoisted out the relevant part of the DOM, hid the rest, and called window.print.

The only problem with this is that visibility: collapse; only works on table rows and table row groups (thead, etc.) so this may not do what you intend.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cbirdsong posted:

Couldn't you just do something like:

code:
.outer > * {
     display: none;
}
.outer > .inner {
     display: block;
}
Would break if .inner is nested in anything, but you could work around that.

It would still show the elements in the parent chain (their borders, text nodes, etc.) and they would affect positioning, even if you spelled out the full descendent hierarchy. (In which case please x-post to Coding Horrors.)

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Edit: To be less of a chode I'll actually answer.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

What exactly are you trying to do? I suppose you could add a css entry for everything NOT of the ID/class of the container and set display:none, but that's super hacky - :not doesn't really work well in IE I don't think.

You can't change the html layout and just throw everything prior to that in a container that then gets hidden..?

Our project uses a top nav bar, left hand nav bar, and even a tab control bar. All the actually "stuff" anyone would ever want to print is inside of a content pane. I want to make that happen.

I want to let that content pane be printed/rendered when it's print time, but keep everything else from being rendered. Also, ideally, if the content pane is scrollable (there's stuff stretching vertically) then I'd like it to render as such and print multiple pages.

Fuck them fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 10, 2014

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Edit: To be less of a chode I'll actually answer.

Our project uses a top nav bar, left hand nav bar, and even a tab control bar. All the actually "stuff" anyone would ever want to print is inside of a content pane. I want to make that happen.

I want to let that content pane be printed/rendered when it's print time, but keep everything else from being rendered. Also, ideally, if the content pane is scrollable (there's stuff stretching vertically) then I'd like it to render as such and print multiple pages.

Add a .noprint class to your top nav bar, left hand nav bar, and tab control bar. Your print stylesheet should have this rule: .noprint { display: none; }. Hooray!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Got a problem with iframes. If you go to any product on this site and add it to your cart, you'll get a pop-up iframe quick cart. On the cart is a section for "Customers who bought these items, also bought:", and if you click any link in that section, it'll take you to that product. The problem is, it stays in the iframe, which is undesirable. I've tried putting target="_parent" on the links, as well as target="_top", but neither option fixed it. Halp? Should I just not bother working with their iframe?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I use the Zurb email inliner for email markup. They always output the <style> tags in the body of the HTML. Isn't that incorrect? I always move it back up into the <head> section but I was just curious why they'd do it specifically for emails.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Some email clients strip out the <head> entirely, so I'd imagine that's why they move it to the body.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Yeah. Always have the styling applied as close as possible it's content, lest it get stripped out or misapplied. HTML email :waycool:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

kedo posted:

Some email clients strip out the <head> entirely, so I'd imagine that's why they move it to the body.

And good email builders ensure all styles are inline! :suicide:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Widely-compatible HTML email is a dark art. Recommend not messing with the ritual or its components.

Edit: really, it's best to just not treat it as related to web pages at all. Think of it as RTF with angle brackets or something, because lots of page semantics aren't honoured (internal links, resource references, sometimes the flow calculations).

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 11, 2014

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Widely-compatible HTML email is a dark art. Recommend not messing with the ritual or its components.

OK, we can fix this guys! All we need to do is create a whole bunch of pages / reports that show that plain-text email has a higher click-through rate than HTML email. Then we pass each other our links, get them bandied about on twitter and blogs and so on, then show our bosses our "research" on how much time and money the company will save for better results buy not doing HTML emails any more.

Foolproof I say!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Just go the Apple route and have every single thing inside an image.

It's like early 2000s web development all over again! Use images for everything! Need a headline in a font other than Arial or Verdana? Text in an image! Need to push that table ten pixels lower on the page? Spacer.gif! Need to give people a catchy way to get in touch with you?

e: Real solution – offer "branded" MailChimp templates. Charge a ridiculous hourly rate to "brand" MailChimp's existing, free templates. Branding involves changing colors in CSS and nothing else. Easiest money I make by far.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

Stealing this for my portfolio, thanks!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Heskie posted:

Stealing this for my portfolio, thanks!

Remember, if you don't have at least 10 animated GIFs on your page, you won't get the user's attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
It really sucks that email clients don't play Flash® intros.