Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Unmerciful posted:

Aras said on RHAP yesterday that anytime someone says they are "going for a walk" it is code for going for an interview and "going for a walk to coconut grove" is taking a deuce. This was in relation to Spencer telling Woo that he was just going for a walk, which I thought was a really weak excuse at the time but now makes sense. Apparently this is relatively new terminology because Rob wasn't aware of it. Thought that was pretty interesting and will definitely be listening for people saying that in the future.

Man, if I ever got on Survivor I'd have this song stuck in my head about 100% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njBW6VMfgwo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spirogyra
Dec 19, 2003
I would love for next week if the minority 3 met with the majority 5, and they all decided to just vote out Kass. Majority has the numbers now. One vote won't help the minority.

The best solution is just get rid of her already because she can't be relied on for anything. And if she makes it to the final three, it's going to be a Lil/Fairplay decision (that was Lil, right?). I think she's a person anyone could win against, but I'd rather lose to someone else than have Kass come in second for her random, emotional, COMPLETELY unstrategic play.

Her physical game is nothing, her social game is a god drat trainwreck, and her strategic play might as well be throwing poo poo at trees and voting based on which one it sticks to.

As much as I disliked Trish before (and was no fan of Lindsey either--not taking sides), the fact that they keep showing Jefra's idiot smug face every time a vote goes her alliance's way (while she was practically in loving tears when she thought she was going) puts her on my 'person I want to see gone after Kass' list. Though Jefra is a perfect goat because she's done zilch other than vote how she's supposed to.

I'm really enjoying this season.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Kass' strategy is hilarious because she's basically Will Kirby without an iota of his charm.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Teckiwi posted:

I guess you would hate Rupert stealing the other tribes shoes in on of his seasons then lol. All non idol and essential clothing seems fair game in survivor

Yeah, I would. Was this supposed to be some kind of sick burn?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

LeJackal posted:

Might as well slit all the other contestant's throats in the night then, eh?
This for the win.

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva
What are the chances of Woo and Kass joining up with Spence, Tasha, and Jeremiah to vote out Tony next week?

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Schmitty42 posted:

What are the chances of Woo and Kass joining up with Spence, Tasha, and Jeremiah to vote out Tony next week?

I'd say pretty unlikely considering I think if Kass is close to anyone in that alliance it's Trish and Tony.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Kass' strategy is hilarious because she's basically Will Kirby without an iota of his charm.

Or in Survivor terms, it's the Cesternino v1*, except way too early in the game and without any charm.

(*Which Rob readily admits is the Will Kirby. All hail Will Kirby.)

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Schmitty42 posted:

I'm actually hoping for this. Tony targets Woo - Woo manages to play that into casting Tony as a dictator and mounts a revolt. Probably not going to happen but we've seen similar scenarios plenty of times before. LJ knows that eventually he and Tony are going to have to try to take one another out.

edit: Whoops, read this wrong. I was thinking of the scenario in which Tony's own alliance ousts him after he attempts to cannibalize one of their own

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You guys are all pussies holy poo poo.

Seriously.

Spencer is evil because he made a disparaging remark about the woman who ruined his game for no logical reason, Woo is evil for stealing clue that was left out in the open in the woods...

Kinda reaching here.

Also LeJackal is a terrible poster.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Spencer isn't "evil". It was just kind of a dumb thing to say.

Woo, on the other hand, is awesome and even though I'm kind of rooting for Spencer I thought that whole scenario was hilarious. I would not be disappointed if Woo ended up winning.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

TheChad posted:

Seriously.

Spencer is evil because he made a disparaging remark about the woman who ruined his game for no logical reason, Woo is evil for stealing clue that was left out in the open in the woods...

Kinda reaching here.

Also LeJackal is a terrible poster.

Yeah that whole conversation got a bit out of hand. It's not like Spencer is even the first person to make a disparaging remark about women on Survivor. His frustration is behind a lot of it. But guys like Malcolm, Boston Rob and Russell have said worse with a lot less provocation.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I might be falling victim to the editing, but I can totally buy that Tony will turn on his own alliance next week.

He's pretty much a perfect Survivor character - able to think strategically, reasonably charismatic, and has an addiction to making big moves even if they're entirely unnecessary.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

xbilkis posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure Morgan said it's the best salad she's ever had in her life. If you can't trust that testimonial then I don't know what you can believe in
I'm sure she meant it, too.

(The context was pretty obviously "holy poo poo I'm starving to death and they just gave me vegetables to eat THANK gently caress FOR THE VEGETABLES")

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Before this week I was pretty convinced that the lawyer in Kass was just going for the "guaranteed" cash that she can get for third place instead of whatever it would be if she finished lower while trying to go for the million. Now though I'm pretty sure she's just delusional.

Still, I think they nailed it on the casting again this season. Just goes to show that when you hire fans instead of random people it makes for much better TV. There are probably five or six people from this season that I'd love to see on an All-Stars or Fans vs Faves season again.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bjay9 posted:

Yeah that whole conversation got a bit out of hand. It's not like Spencer is even the first person to make a disparaging remark about women on Survivor. His frustration is behind a lot of it. But guys like Malcolm, Boston Rob and Russell have said worse with a lot less provocation.
Did it really get out of hand? What's the worst thing anyone said about him?

Anyway, for me, I started the season preparing to hate Spencer, because he had the most obnoxious bio/into video. On top of all his political stuff that rubs me personally the wrong way (going on about Mitt Romney, attending U Chicago for economics, reading The Economist (lol), and his plans to become an investment banker), he also called Parvati an unintelligent winner! And he basked in his genius a bunch, one of the "skills" he mentioned in his video was the ability to talk down to people.

But then despite myself I ended up liking him for awhile just because I was rooting for the Brains tribe, and because he did well with such a dysfunctional group. But lately we've been seeing the mask slip, we've been seeing his arrogance leak out, he's made stupid comments, and I'm reminded of what's probably the "Real Spencer" that I disliked from the beginning.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

ColdBlooded posted:

I'm finding it hilarious that Jefra was the one who cast her vote for "Queen Morgan" at TC. She seems like she might have an actual personality, too bad the editors don't let us see it.

I kinda feel the same way - there's been a few little things with her recently that give me the impression that she might actually be pretty cool but that she's just getting an invisible edit.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Guys I'm starting a twitter campaign to get SSpencer fired and/or make him unemployable. Who is with me?

Signal boost this!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

HUMAN FISH posted:

Guys I'm starting a twitter campaign to get SSpencer fired and/or make him unemployable. Who is with me?

Signal boost this!

CRUCIFY HIM!

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Joose Caboose posted:

I kinda feel the same way - there's been a few little things with her recently that give me the impression that she might actually be pretty cool but that she's just getting an invisible edit.

Generally the consensus among former players seems to be that people who get invisible edits just aren't giving the producers much to work with in their confessionals. Granted, that could be a biased perspective but I think it makes sense - it's only to the show's' advantage to have as many well-rounded characters as possible.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Fast Luck posted:

Did it really get out of hand? What's the worst thing anyone said about him?

It was just a really dumb and boring conversation.

I'd honestly prefer another Sandra or Russell slap fight than sit through an argument over who is more evil: Spencer or Woo.

Also: Calling Spencer dumb is unnecessary, he's 21. Of COURSE he has idiotic opinions. :)

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Unmerciful posted:

Generally the consensus among former players seems to be that people who get invisible edits just aren't giving the producers much to work with in their confessionals. Granted, that could be a biased perspective but I think it makes sense - it's only to the show's' advantage to have as many well-rounded characters as possible.

Yeah I get that. A good number of them are probably really cool people to hang out with but just really boring at talking by themselves to a camera.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Unmerciful posted:

It's a mixture of things that make it hard for the producers to make a followable story line from a player. It's also pretty likely that Jefra will get voted out without stirring up anything on her way out.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I have an instinct to root for Spencer and Tasha, but Tony and Woo are awesome, too, so I'm torn. If LJ managed to get to the end dragging two goats (Jefra, probably Kass) he'd be deserving, but a boring winner. Jeremiah's alright, but boring, and he seems like a jury voter or a Mick (though of course edgic is not always super-reliable).
Current arbitrary power rankings
1. LJ. Stable, intelligent, in the alliance with the numbers, and hasn't actively been targeted to the same extent as Tony. Smart players would team up to get rid of him at this stage or soon after, but at this point he seems secure.
2. Tony. Nowhere near as stable as LJ, but possibly smarter, and would trounce him at FTC. In dominant alliance, but willing to make moves.
3. Spencer. Seems to be in the poo poo, but he's a smart guy and he has an HII.
4. Trish. I don't think she's winning, but she's in the dominant alliance and nobody's targeting her or talking her up as a threat.
5. Woo. Potential challenge beast, in dominant alliance, but probably right above Kass on the pecking order (which is not an alliance of equals, Jefra's inspiring speech notwithstanding).
6. Tasha. probably hosed, but she might still win immunity. Seems level-headed and likable, but that could work against her.
7. Jeremiah. screwed unless he magically shows challenge beast abilities or survives until the alliance of 6 eats itself alive while sort of forgetting about him/counting on him as a swing vote. They should have voted him out instead of Morgan.
8. Jefra. Sure, securely in dominant alliance, and not as dumb as many mactors Survivor has had, but not winning, and if there's any sort of shakeup, she'd be vulnerable to a blindside. Actually, though, the reason I place her at the bottom is that nobody's going to vote for her at FTC. :smugdog:
9. Kass. The perfect goat, but so much of a WILDCARD as to make it likely she'll get booted for a similar motive as the Morgan boot; the WE DON'T LIKE YOU, gently caress STRATEGY, GTFO motive.

all of the top 6 could win, I guess.
It'd be the best season of Survivor ever if Kass won, though. We all know this.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Unmerciful posted:

Yeah that's a good point but there's also only so much they can show and, as a result, they may need to cut scenes from players who have little impact on the game, even if they're entertaining/interesting/insightful. Despite her pretty invisible edit, Jefra is still adorable though :3:

Spatula City posted:

It'd be the best season of Survivor ever if Kass won, though. We all know this.

Oh hell yeah. I'm solidly on team KaosKass but I really don't see it happening either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

he also called Parvati an unintelligent winner! And he basked in his genius a bunch, one of the "skills" he mentioned in his video was the ability to talk down to people.
Ok, NOW I dislike Spencer. I didn't know any of that pre-show stuff but you make him sound like a way bigger douche than the show had me believe.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Who Do You Think Has the Best Chance in the Game of Survivor: Brains, Beauty or Brawn? What type of person excels in Survivor? The person who pushes the game forward strategically - the Rob Cesternino, Yul Kwon or Todd Herzog. A Parvati or Ozzy may slip through the cracks, but this is a brain game. :wth:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/214797/

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Was just about to post it. It's getting comical how far people are willing to go to stir up hate for Spencer. I don't even like him THAT much but a few posters seem to be gathering support for a lynching.

Clearly all this energy would be better spent on organizing a plan to waterboard Rupert. :colbert:

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

BGrifter posted:

Was just about to post it. It's getting comical how far people are willing to go to stir up hate for Spencer. I don't even like him THAT much but a few posters seem to be gathering support for a lynching.

Clearly all this energy would be better spent on organizing a plan to waterboard Rupert. :colbert:

People are just mad that someone had the guts to like him cause they don't.
I mean we can't have people in this forum liking something I don't like right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't care if you like him. I just don't. But I'm not looking to lynch him either. Dude just sounds like a cocky douchebag. If you lynched every douchebag it would get messy.

I do think its bizarre he can say Parvatti "slipped through the cracks" of a "brain game". Or compare her with Ozzy. And I actually kind of like Ozzy. But jeez, if you can't see Parvatti is one of the smartest and most skilled players in Survivor history you have to have some kind of issue with her. If you've got a solid argument behind it I'd like to hear it.

And Parv was a cocky douchebag too. But she was drat good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
You're reading way too much into an off the cuff answer to a stupid question. It wasn't some deep insight into his soul. He picked a player recognized for physical challenge prowess in Ozzy, and another recognized as a beauty who effectively used flirting as strategy in Parvati. They were obviously setting up the Brains/Beauty/Brawn rivalry.

Hope that helps.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just think reducing Parvatti to a one dimensional "Beauty" who "slipped through the cracks of a brain game" is a really poor and ridiculous thing even from the perspective of a dumb assed questionnaire. Its not a damning thing for Spencer but it seems like this is what I say about each of these little things. Spencer says something kind of obnoxious or possibly misogynistic or douchey and I say "Its not a big deal on its own." But they add up. That whole interview/questionnaire reads pretty douchey to me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't believe the following post, but it's more fun to keep piling on the Spencer train:

"...A beauty who effectively used flirting as strategy in Parvati." Oh yeah? I bet that's only because she's a dumb woman. If some guy came in and won by flashing his abs at all the ladies, Spencer would say he was a genius manipulator, but Parvati's just a Shallow bitch.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
this thread got real dumb

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Fooz posted:

My clairvoyance is tenuous.

Apparently not. How do I get a reality show for my psychic powers?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So let's say a player was snooping in another player's stuff and found the Idol and took it. How would that play out rules wise? Just a poo poo thing to do or actionable?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, NOW I dislike Spencer. I didn't know any of that pre-show stuff but you make him sound like a way bigger douche than the show had me believe.

In all fairness a lot of the pre-show stuff is hard to judge a person by because at the point they're being interviewed they're still not assured of a spot on the show, so they're still trying to game the producers to some degree to show that they have an interesting personality with the potential to create conflict and be "a personality.". For example, for Big Brother 10 Dan Gheesling's pre show interviews painted him as an ultra conservative and everyone hated him pre-show because of that, and then later it was seen on the show and on his post show interviews that while he is indeed a Christian, he was actually a very tolerant and liberal one who had basically zero conflict with any of his gay housemates or anyone because they held a contrary religious or political opinion. Dan later admitted to playing up a certain stereotype in order to help him get cast. Considering that Spencer is a confirmed fan of RobHasAPodcast (on which Dan has appeared several times and explained his strategy and tips to help get casted) it is certainly probable that he was playing up certain steteotypes and his potential for starting controvery in orser to ensure that he was part of the final cast.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

I just think reducing Parvatti to a one dimensional "Beauty" who "slipped through the cracks of a brain game" is a really poor and ridiculous thing even from the perspective of a dumb assed questionnaire.

That would be dumb, fortunately he didn't say that. The producers asked him directly to talk a little trash to hype the season. He complied. In the process he dared to cite Parvati as an example of beauty and Ozzy an example of brawn. What a monster.

Also he reduced Rob Cesternino, Yul Kwan and Todd Herzog to mere brains. Clearly that means he's a racist homophobe who hates podcasters too.

blue squares posted:

but Parvati's just a Shallow

Now that's some pro level posting. Well played.

Edit:

KKKLIP ART posted:

So let's say a player was snooping in another player's stuff and found the Idol and took it. How would that play out rules wise? Just a poo poo thing to do or actionable?

Was just listening to RHAP with Malcolm on my way out for lunch and he was discussing exactly that with Lisa finding his idol on his first season. Idols cannot be taken from another player. Idol clues however are fair game.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 12, 2014

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I mean in the context of what he's saying he's right. Parvati isn't known for being someone who changed the game, she is just really really good at using her social gifts (which is what 'beauty' is supposed to represent) to execute strategies forged by other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

maniacripper posted:

I mean in the context of what he's saying he's right. Parvati isn't known for being someone who changed the game, she is just really really good at using her social gifts (which is what 'beauty' is supposed to represent) to execute strategies forged by other people.
She's made as clever of moves as anyone else ever has...

• Locked thread