Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

gently caress the gold bars, the real reward for me was two thousand .357 bullets.

...Provided I can leave the place. i'm kind of worried that might be a permanent thing from save bloat, I'm gonna have to console-port my way into a Mojave cell and check.

My suggestion would be to install NVAC along with the latest version of the New Vegas Stutter Remover and see if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I'm going through some AWOP locations right now, and man, whoever made that mod really likes to spawn you in small rooms with 5 or 6 enemies who have huge health bars and who all charge right up to you even if they have guns. I'm not sure how you're supposed to win those fights other than to just stand there, keep shooting, and hope your ammo, armor, and stimpaks hold out.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Yeah, there are reasons so many goons dislike AWOP. It adds a lot of locations, all of which come with fights, but the author doesn't really get the concept of "balance."

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Are you using NVAC? You should be using NVAC.

About AWOP: In the words of Cap'n Beeb, "Killing poo poo got tedious"

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 10, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Cleretic posted:

gently caress the gold bars, the real reward for me was two thousand .357 bullets.

...Provided I can leave the place. i'm kind of worried that might be a permanent thing from save bloat, I'm gonna have to console-port my way into a Mojave cell and check.

Save. Put down mines, blow yourself up completely. Let it reload that save. Save again and load that save. Then leave the area. Voodoo magic that has saved me many times in FO3 and NV when I've been trapped atop the monument or something dumb and couldn't leave without crashing. Also turn off your light if it's on before leaving.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Naky posted:

He's been busy playing real life Minecraft. He says he'll be around again when he's done all the building and such.

Pretty much this; now that my brother's back, we've been working on a number of home construction and other projects that really needed to get done but couldn't have until both of us were here. The next couple of weeks are going to be spent hauling stuff out of multiple storage places (so we can cancel them and save a ton of money a month), going through it all to see what needs to stay and what needs to be destroyed, and then building a storage shed next to the workshop in the backyard, for storing everything.

Sorry for not mentioning the hiatus earlier, but I started to fall behind in the thread and it got to the point where I'd have time to post, but not enough time to catch up. I can't tell you when we'll be done with all the projects we need to get done, because I don't know, but hopefully it won't be too long, because felling a dead tree where the shed will go is actually fun, but I can tell you from experience that building a shed with the weather warming up isn't fun. Neither is making multiple 4 1/2 hour round trips into the LA basin to empty out a storage unit, and spending most of the day there wading through 30 year old dust and rat droppings.

P.S. Jeeps are awesome for pulling tree stumps or even pulling down dangerous limbs before you fell the (dead) tree. Just wrap a stump chain around the bumper and the tree, throw the transfer case into 4-LO, put her in second, and you could rip drat near anything out/down.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Chronojam posted:

Save. Put down mines, blow yourself up completely. Let it reload that save. Save again and load that save. Then leave the area. Voodoo magic that has saved me many times in FO3 and NV when I've been trapped atop the monument or something dumb and couldn't leave without crashing. Also turn off your light if it's on before leaving.

And to clarify on "blowing yourself up completely", it means to die in such a way that you lose at least one appendage.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So if you are playing AWOP and find the Underground, please make sure you have a grenade launcher of some kind, or lots of thrown explosives, or maybe the perk that makes energy weapon kills cause explosions, or anything like that for big area damage. My first encounter in there was against ~20-25 young and normal nightstalkers. I had Arcade in power armor to screen for me while I pumped 40mm grenades into the clusterfuck as fast as I could. This was at character level 32 or 33. Psycho would have helped, but I had just stashed all my chems in my house before going out again and found the place. A couple stealth boys would probably also help if you don't have any AOE damage available, either to pick them off or to get past.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Or, you can take the animal friends perk. All Nightstalkers are bros and help you fight tech raiders with that perk.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Aaaaaand Honest Hearts is done. Good riddance.

I know people poo poo on Mothership Zeta from FO3, but to me this was far, far worse. At least the negatives about Zeta didn't eclipse its strengths; the bland corridor shooter nature of it is a bit annoying, but it doesn't get in the way of teaming up with a bunch of anachronistic prisoners and learning about the alien's experiments. Plus, you got rewarded with a shitload of Alien Blaster ammo, which is great even if you don't use energy weapons much.

I liked a couple things in Honest Hearts (exploring the evolution of religion in the Wasteland was pretty cool, I liked Joshua Graham, and the gimmick behind the Spore Carrier enemies was neat if flawed), but they were pretty massively eclipsed by the enemies being too durable, doing too much damage, and the big 'moral choice' of the whole thing having so little put into it beforehand that there's no draw on either side. At no point before the actual choice do you get any idea of what repercussions this decision could have, so I wound up just siding with Joshua because I thought Daniel was kind of a dick (I wanted to be able to talk to him about trying to quash the Sorrows' religious beliefs, because that's a bit crap, but there was no chance to). Plus, the rewards are pretty much nil unless you use melee weapons, and even if you do the rewards seem to fall short of the Shishkebab anyway.

Fortunately, next up is Old World Blues, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

EDIT: Are you guys sure it was Dead Money with the bullet sponge enemies? Because I could shred those guys pretty easily, but every single thing in Zion was a painful, irritating slog.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You are in for a treat, Old World Blues is delightful.

Dead Money can be cheesed fairly easily with concentrated fire or melee weapons, since the ghost people die if you chop off one of their limbs. Honest Hearts was fun, but a bit too generic. Joshua Graham was cool, and exploring religion in the Wasteland was neat, but the Obsidian maze and Cazadors made it pretty dull.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 11, 2014

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Fortunately, next up is Old World Blues, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

EDIT: Are you guys sure it was Dead Money with the bullet sponge enemies? Because I could shred those guys pretty easily, but every single thing in Zion was a painful, irritating slog.

OWB's baddies can be bullet spongey as all hell, (but the cheesy sci-fi stuff is great)where Dead Money just has enemies that get back up if you don't dismember them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cleretic posted:

Plus, the rewards are pretty much nil unless you use melee weapons, and even if you do the rewards seem to fall short of the Shishkebab anyway.
Joshua Graham's armor is arguably the best light armor in the game, the Survivalist's Rifle and A Light Shining In Darkness are amazing guns, and those cave mushrooms allow you to make Healing Poultices that are superb healing items which obsolete doctor's bags in hardcore mode.

What level did you do HH at? If you go there around level 10 the enemies are rather easy (cazadors only show up a couple times) and an MF Hyperbreeder Alpha will carry you most of the way through. If you go there at level 40 every single White Leg will be packing a riot shotgun, 12.7mm SMG, AMR, or shishkebab.

One thing that I think can help people appreciate HH is playing in hardcore mode, which makes Zion into a land of abundance with clean water always close by and fresh food everywhere you look. The healing poultices become much more useful as limb healers with stimpaks and doctor's bags being nerfed. And if you're pumping your survival anyway the gecko-backed leather armor, reinforced is a very nice armor.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I never remember the whitelegs as being bullet sponges, even at higher levels. A few shots from a trail carbine would always kill them for me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Where do I go in the GECK to edit the ending slides, or see the ending slide logic? I haven't been able to turn this up searching, maybe I'm not using the right terms. Basically I want to get at the slides and VA.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Psion posted:

Where do I go in the GECK to edit the ending slides, or see the ending slide logic? I haven't been able to turn this up searching, maybe I'm not using the right terms. Basically I want to get at the slides and VA.
For the vanilla game look at the quest VEnding and the script NarratorScript.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Nobody Interesting posted:

On TTW has anyone got any information on how you work with FO3 mods? Few pages back someone mentions there's an automatic script but does anyone know how well it works?

It works pretty well and is surprisingly easy to do, but I never ended up using it much because most mods I would want already have updated TTW conversions posted on the forums there or have similar/superior FNV mods available (which most often end up working in the FO3 parts of TTW just as well since everything is run through FNV's engine). So its pretty great being able to use all these FNV mods going during FO3.

For example, I'm using "Fallout Character Overhaul" which is specifically designed for better faces for FNV but still often results in improved faces for a lot of the generics people in the capital wasteland too. And even better, a lot of the bigger and more popular mods such as FCO are specifically getting TTW updates designed around altering those unaffected FO3 areas.

Hah, there's a surprisingly large modding effort for TTW considering its still being called an "alpha" (even though it owns bones for me, aside from the occasional missing mesh you have to grab fixes for of the forums). And double hah considering the page warns against using a bunch of mods but they know and we know everyone is already doing that anyway (I think I had about 100 active ones before merging some and everything was peachy).

Back to the conversion process though, the only time FO3 conversion can be a pain in the neck is when trying to patch those really complex mods that utilize a bunch of scripts with unique references in them (ie Marts Mutants). But again the modding community is all on that poo poo and chances are someone knowledgeable already called dibs and has one in process, no matter how complex.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Aaaaaand Honest Hearts is done. Good riddance.

I know people poo poo on Mothership Zeta from FO3, but to me this was far, far worse. At least the negatives about Zeta didn't eclipse its strengths; the bland corridor shooter nature of it is a bit annoying, but it doesn't get in the way of teaming up with a bunch of anachronistic prisoners and learning about the alien's experiments. Plus, you got rewarded with a shitload of Alien Blaster ammo, which is great even if you don't use energy weapons much.

I liked a couple things in Honest Hearts (exploring the evolution of religion in the Wasteland was pretty cool, I liked Joshua Graham, and the gimmick behind the Spore Carrier enemies was neat if flawed), but they were pretty massively eclipsed by the enemies being too durable, doing too much damage, and the big 'moral choice' of the whole thing having so little put into it beforehand that there's no draw on either side. At no point before the actual choice do you get any idea of what repercussions this decision could have, so I wound up just siding with Joshua because I thought Daniel was kind of a dick (I wanted to be able to talk to him about trying to quash the Sorrows' religious beliefs, because that's a bit crap, but there was no chance to). Plus, the rewards are pretty much nil unless you use melee weapons, and even if you do the rewards seem to fall short of the Shishkebab anyway.

If you're criticizing Honest Hearts and not mentioning the Survivalist, you've failed at Honest Hearts.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Raygereio posted:

For the vanilla game look at the quest VEnding and the script NarratorScript.

Thanks, I'll look those up.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Cleretic posted:

I only ever played the DLC with the jsawyer mod which completely removes all but a hint of bullet sponging from the game but anecdotally ive heard old world blues has a real problem with that. It does quickly give you really powerful weapons though if i remember so maybe that will make up the difference.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

whenever you hear people complaining about "bullet sponges" in any video game ever, it's safe to assume what they really mean is "enemies who don't die in 2 shots with any weapon in the game"

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Yeah I actually enjoyed the enemies being a bit tougher, force me to actually use healing items and not just run and gun the whole thing.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Also finally take advantage of all of the special ammo i'd been finding/making.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Clever Spambot posted:

Also finally take advantage of all of the special ammo i'd been finding/making.

Definitely got a lot of use out of my exploding ammo for the anti material rifle in Honest Hearts

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

There's probably been a lot of posts like this, but I need help getting my mods to work. I got NMM and so far the only mod I've gotten to work is Western Skies, as long as no others are activated. Otherwise, it crashes every time or it stays on the load screen forever. I downloaded BOSS but I'm not sure what to do with it. Can someone run me through this step by step?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
You're probably activating a .esp that needs a master (.esm) that you don't have. This is usually in optional stuff, or meta-mods that make various other stuff work together properly. Like if you had one I like, EVE - Essential Visual Enhancements, and were using the "EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp" file but didn't actually have all the DLC .esm files, it'd crash. This is known as "missing master" afaik.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Paracelsus posted:

What level did you do HH at? If you go there around level 10 the enemies are rather easy (cazadors only show up a couple times) and an MF Hyperbreeder Alpha will carry you most of the way through. If you go there at level 40 every single White Leg will be packing a riot shotgun, 12.7mm SMG, AMR, or shishkebab.

One thing that I think can help people appreciate HH is playing in hardcore mode, which makes Zion into a land of abundance with clean water always close by and fresh food everywhere you look. The healing poultices become much more useful as limb healers with stimpaks and doctor's bags being nerfed. And if you're pumping your survival anyway the gecko-backed leather armor, reinforced is a very nice armor.

I did it at level 22-24. So, yeah, that probably hurt me a bit.

SpookyLizard posted:

If you're criticizing Honest Hearts and not mentioning the Survivalist, you've failed at Honest Hearts.

I loved the Survivalist (although I wasn't such a huge fan of going through his caves, so I just stopped bothering after a while) and think he's one of the strengths of Honest Hearts, but he just didn't really play into the story much. Sure, he's a big influence on the tribes' religious beliefs, but even those were pushed to the side, and didn't really matter to anything.

Alouicious posted:

whenever you hear people complaining about "bullet sponges" in any video game ever, it's safe to assume what they really mean is "enemies who don't die in 2 shots with any weapon in the game"

I don't mind the idea of enemies being hardier, but enemies in Honest Hearts hit for most of my HP in one swing, which is a swing they can make multiple times because they have a fuckzillion HP. In return, they don't really do a whole lot to justify that massive amount of HP. The only thing that I think did something cool with it were the Spore Carriers, but even that could have been done better on an enemy that does suffer noticeably from crippled limbs. Like humans, or Cazadors.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cleretic posted:

I don't mind the idea of enemies being hardier, but enemies in Honest Hearts hit for most of my HP in one swing, which is a swing they can make multiple times because they have a fuckzillion HP.
What armor/weapon were you using? I don't recall them doing that much damage or being that tough even on my first time through where I was ~level 40.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Alouicious posted:

this is actually not the case in fnv, where in their health scales with level

there are definite bullet sponge enemies because otherwise most of wouldn't have dedicated so much time to finding a load order that unfucks that poo poo

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Paracelsus posted:

What armor/weapon were you using? I don't recall them doing that much damage or being that tough even on my first time through where I was ~level 40.

Sierra Madre security armor and a fully upgraded .357 revolver, for the most part. I used the Shishkebab against the less dangerous White Legs to conserve ammo and weapon condition, but for the most part in actual fights I stuck with the revolver.

While it was a nice thing to try, I feel like it might not have been a good idea to focus entirely on pistols, especially revolvers. They don't quite pack enough punch to deal with stuff like this, and revolvers lack the firing rate to make up for it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
My experience with Honest Hearts has been that the White Legs are reasonable enough (though their gear gets kind of overpowered/out of touch with the lore pretty quickly) but the creatures are a pain, they spawn 5 feet from your head out of the thin air and often hit for 1/3 or more of my HP with one swipe.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

this is actually not the case in fnv, where in their health scales with level

there are definite bullet sponge enemies because otherwise most of wouldn't have dedicated so much time to finding a load order that unfucks that poo poo

the health scales with level so you find bigger and badder guns to do more damage because it's an RPG with loot progression. of course they're going to eat every bullet you throw at them if you're going through the whole game with a 10mm, but if you're actually playing the game properly you're punching through a third of their health bar with the Brush Gun by that point

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I don't mind the idea of enemies being hardier, but enemies in Honest Hearts hit for most of my HP in one swing, which is a swing they can make multiple times because they have a fuckzillion HP. In return, they don't really do a whole lot to justify that massive amount of HP.

Are you playing on Very Hard or something?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Sierra Madre security armor and a fully upgraded .357 revolver, for the most part. I used the Shishkebab against the less dangerous White Legs to conserve ammo and weapon condition, but for the most part in actual fights I stuck with the revolver.

While it was a nice thing to try, I feel like it might not have been a good idea to focus entirely on pistols, especially revolvers. They don't quite pack enough punch to deal with stuff like this, and revolvers lack the firing rate to make up for it.

drat, man, the .357's like an entry level revolver. No wonder you had problems. At this point you should be rockin' a .44 at the very least (and if you want to stick to using one gun throughout the entire game, grab the Signature Weapons mod)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

M.Ciaster posted:

drat, man, the .357's like an entry level revolver. No wonder you had problems. At this point you should be rockin' a .44 at the very least (and if you want to stick to using one gun throughout the entire game, grab the Signature Weapons mod)

I probalby should have, since I liked the idea of using the same weapons all the way through; the .357 I'm using was the one looted from the Powder Ganger right out of the tutorial.

I suppose I can at least solve the problem by using the Police Pistol from Dead Money. I dunno if that thing's much better, but it at least reloads a lot faster.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cleretic posted:

I probalby should have, since I liked the idea of using the same weapons all the way through; the .357 I'm using was the one looted from the Powder Ganger right out of the tutorial.

I suppose I can at least solve the problem by using the Police Pistol from Dead Money. I dunno if that thing's much better, but it at least reloads a lot faster.
If you plan on using the same weapon through the whole game, you should look into the Signature Weapons mod, which will allow you to beef up a single weapon type as you kill things with it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
...Well, of all the things that could have happened when starting Old World Blues, I did not expect to have a minor anxiety attack. Something about that surgery just got to me.

Funny how Christine's pretty serious angle on that didn't really affect me at all, but the outright comedic one that kicks off OWB did something I've only ever had happen once before.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That sucks. Are you okay? Is it something you need to talk to someone about?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Nah, it's fine, I'm just not great with some surgery scenes, particularly brain surgery I think. Probably just comes from having to go through a number of those operations growing up, but it's no biggie and doesn't come up often. Kinda weird that OWB would trigger it when Dead Money and Point Lookout didn't, though. Maybe it was the delivery, PL and DM don't really dwell on it for too long, while OWB takes quite a while before changing the subject.

Kept playing, though, and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than Honest Hearts. There's definitely some minor bullet-sponge issues, particularly the robo-scorpions, but it's not as bad and the writing seems to be lifting the overall experience a lot more. Switching to the Police Pistol probably helped. I can tell the rewards are better, too, even if I haven't found any that benefit my character build yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having a robotic spine replace your real spine is tough, man.