Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

Captain Capitalism posted:

They recently just discontinued the slacker backer option, since they're ramping up for Beta.

*cries into his wallet*
Oooh, money!

Way back when I was thinking of going in for one of the higher tiers on the Kickstarter but then my disposable income took a solid nosedive. Ahh well, I'm sure I'll give Hex a go soon enough. Until then, more Android: Netrunner data packs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
If you're interested in any specific tiers just post around saying so, someone just found a seller for a $250 tier a page or two back.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Korak posted:

So for us that haven't been following since alpha began, how is the game shaping up compared to MTG?

Do you mean in terms of fun or in terms of gameplay?

In terms of fun, I'm liking it. Most of my modern Magic experience has been limited (as opposed to Constructed, rather than as opposed to extensive), and I'm finding the two pretty similar. I imagine constructed Hex is reminiscent of Block just after the first big set comes out, though with a smaller pool of people to try to solve the format.

In terms of gameplay, the game is extremely similar, down to the rough division of the colors/shards. If you've played Magic, pretty much everything in the game will make sense as soon as you see it. The only real exception I can think of is the "reversion" mechanic, which undoes all modifications to a card and returns it to the basic version - this has some interesting applications, such as removing damage marked on a card. I don't know whether it removes counters too. There's a lot of stuff they can do in Hex that they can't do in MtG due to the fact that Hex has a neutral arbitrator which can keep track of literally everything, but if Hasbro demanded an MTGO-exclusive set and WotC turned out the Hex starter set, it wouldn't really feel out of place.

There are two big differences I can think of in the ways the game plays. The first is the champions, which gain "charge" every time you play a basic resource and have some ability that costs charge: there's the one that draws a card for 5 charge, and the one that drains 1 life from the opponent for 2 charge, and so on.

The second is that color requirements are a lot easier in Hex, as they're merely thresholds you have to meet instead of costs to pay. For example, in Magic, if you have 2 Islands and 4 Plains and Wind Drake (cost 2U) and Cancel (cost 1UU) in hand, you have to pick between playing the Drake and holding up Cancel (total cost 3UUU, but you only have 4UU as far as blue is concerned), but in Hex if you have played 2 Sapphire shards and 4 Diamond shards you can play a Phoenix Guard Trainer (cost 3|S) and still have Countermagic (cost 3|SS) available, because playing the Trainer doesn't decrease your Sapphire threshold.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 12, 2014

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
Well, late last year I did do the Slacker Backer option, got an invite but due to financial concerns contacted Cryptozoic to see if I could get a refund before I used it, they obliged.
I guess they don't have the means to cancel accounts or some such. Since my login info still works.

Naturally though, I'm hesitant to use the client because it's effectively stealing. I guess.
I wonder if there's a way I can just Paypal Cryptozoic $50 and maintain access. I shall contact support!

e: Contacted them. If they say there isn't I'll just not use the client until I get beta access or something, else it's not fair on all who've paid.

gredgie fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 12, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
As long as you still report bugs then you're doing what they need you to - it's just the rewards and stuff you won't get later like boosters and such

One of the European articles indicates that they intentionally turn a blind eye to people who asked for a refund but still login

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

I haven't had a chance to test Survival of the Fittest on a seagull.
It's possible the interaction is just an inconsistency in the coding and not a special exception to combat rules. I found it allows lifedrain troops to heal myself.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I really, really wish there was an option to turn chat off, or at least general chat. I have to leave sounds on so I can hear when the next round of a tournament starts, so all I hear is "plink plink plinkplinkplink" and the flashing chat icon is distracting on top of that.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Zurai posted:

I really, really wish there was an option to turn chat off, or at least general chat. I have to leave sounds on so I can hear when the next round of a tournament starts, so all I hear is "plink plink plinkplinkplink" and the flashing chat icon is distracting on top of that.

Disabling sound is a really easy way to fix this.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I recently turned sounds back on because I wanted to hear the new card noises, if you switch over from general chat to local / social then you won't get spammed with plinks (though you will have to switch it over again and again between different screens)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Disabling sound is a really easy way to fix this.

If I do that, I can't hear when a new round of a tournament starts, and gently caress staring at the screen doing nothing for 15 minutes.

Grim posted:

I recently turned sounds back on because I wanted to hear the new card noises, if you switch over from general chat to local / social then you won't get spammed with plinks (though you will have to switch it over again and again between different screens)

I'll give this a try, though. Thanks.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

gredgie posted:

Naturally though, I'm hesitant to use the client because it's effectively stealing. I guess.
I wonder if there's a way I can just Paypal Cryptozoic $50 and maintain access. I shall contact support!

e: Contacted them. If they say there isn't I'll just not use the client until I get beta access or something, else it's not fair on all who've paid.

You are a good person.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Wow

gameinformer.com posted:

Hex: Shards of Fate is an upcoming free-to-play MMOTCG from Cryptozoic Entertainment, and we’ve got an exclusive preview card to share! This card is will be included in set 2 of Hex and looks like an interesting option for ruby decks to take advantage of direct damage spells. Not only does Heart of Fire get rid of minor threats that the opponent may have on the table, it permanently increases the efficacy of your future board-burning efforts.
Hex features player-vs-player tournaments, dungeon crawls and three-person raids, an auction house, and the ability to equip cards with items that bestow new abilities. The title is currently in early access.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I cannot wait to play a version of Magic where Red is a good color (ignoring that Red has been pretty good lately in MtG). Heart of Fire is just so awesome.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

That's... definitely gonna go in my Wrenlock/Skarn/Chimes deck.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, that's crazy good. I wonder if it also applies to actions on troops, like the Avalanche Giant?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zurai posted:

Yeah, that's crazy good. I wonder if it also applies to actions on troops, like the Avalanche Giant?

I'm pretty sure that troops have abilities, not actions.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So I just sat in a draft queue for like 40 minutes as basically the only person in the queue - people would join and then drop after a minute or two, this is the kind of thing I'm worried about for the early phase of Hex where player numbers will be at their lowest and people in other timezones get stuck only playing on the weekends

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Grim posted:

So I just sat in a draft queue for like 40 minutes as basically the only person in the queue - people would join and then drop after a minute or two, this is the kind of thing I'm worried about for the early phase of Hex where player numbers will be at their lowest and people in other timezones get stuck only playing on the weekends

17,765 people backed the Kickstarter. More joined through Slacker Backer. These people will likely be trying to get their card game friends into it, I know I will. I imagine that once the Beta/Release starts, they're going to be marketing this thing like crazy.

We're the small minority who are keeping up with the process through alpha. Don't forget, this is still a closed alpha. It's fun playing and all, but there are no stakes behind it. It's not sustainable without a rewards system, which there isn't. Several other major features aren't in the game yet, either. Population will jump when Beta starts, when PvE gets added, when rewards are given out, and finally when we get full release.

Don't worry about it yet, there's plenty of time.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Go RV! posted:

17,765 people backed the Kickstarter. More joined through Slacker Backer. These people will likely be trying to get their card game friends into it, I know I will. I imagine that once the Beta/Release starts, they're going to be marketing this thing like crazy.

Don't worry about it yet, there's plenty of time.

Those of us in other timezones are always going to get hosed. We're just not going to have the community the USA has. Combined with the whole walled gardens thing, I've pretty much resigned myself to never playing with anyone unless it's my early morning or late evening.

I'm extra doomed because Taiwan and non-English speaking Asia has no clue about Hex. It's not approachable for them. If I get walled in with these guys I'll have like 5 people to play with. At least Grim is in Australia, which has a sizable English speaking TCG community.

Edit: Also once this goes free to play I'm pushing the poo poo out of it.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 15, 2014

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Afgad posted:

Those of us in other timezones are always going to get hosed. We're just not going to have the community the USA has. Combined with the whole walled gardens thing, I've pretty much resigned myself to never playing with anyone unless it's my early morning or late evening.

Walled gardens only affect who you're allowed to trade/AH with. Tournaments/games are global.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea but Trading stuff is still a very big part of a TCG :sigh:

And yea I was referring to the period between beta and who knows how long into release - a lot of those 17,765 people will be made up of users looking to combine 4 accounts, a lot of people won't really start playing much until PvE is out, a lot of people don't like to draft (I know, blasphemy right?), etc

It's not all doom and gloom, but the first year or so of Hex I expect will be fun but something I will only be able to enjoy on the weekends (or if I buy a new laptop and bring it in to work...)

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Grim posted:

(or if I buy a new laptop and bring it in to work...)

I admit it, most of the time when I play Hex I am at work. That is, if I'm not working. This does make it impossible for me to draft unless it is a weekend though.

Also, Swiss drafts are nice but they are certainly not friendly to people who have to do stuff. They take so long! Who has time to spend 4-6 hours on Hex, using the same deck no less? I found myself getting bored.

I'd much prefer asynchronous, but asynchronous draft is probably a no-go. If only pro tier got a choice of a free sealed every week :allears:

There are too many questions about the walled gardens to really say how it will work. My thread went to 14 pages before it collapsed in on itself, but the response was overwhelmingly in favor of letting people choose their region. I think CZE got the idea.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Go RV! posted:

I imagine that once the Beta/Release starts, they're going to be marketing this thing like crazy.

I remember Cory hinting that their KS funding is drying up while talking about marketing -- probably why they're pushing for monetized beta in the next few updates.
Cory basically said Hex's marketing will be just himself trying to personally connect with media and people in the industry.

I'm guessing he's trying to grow the game's community in a grassroots style. He puts a lot of emphasis when talking about community.
The interviewer on that twitch stream was really dense after Cory pushed aside the "When does Steam happen?" question, and then later talked like Steam was an inevitable part of the game's marketing plan.
He knows the implications of opening a game's floodgates to Valve's distribution platform.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hell yea just received my emails about HEX Closed Beta Account Information

• In Closed Beta, your account will be wiped of cards currency and other items you may have received in the Alpha stage.
  • Your friends list and any in-game mails you sent or received in Alpha will be wiped.
  • We will send you Kickstarter backer rewards information in a separate email in the near future.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Any info yet on combining accounts?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Remb posted:

I remember Cory hinting that their KS funding is drying up while talking about marketing -- probably why they're pushing for monetized beta in the next few updates.
Cory basically said Hex's marketing will be just himself trying to personally connect with media and people in the industry.

If that is true then it makes a lot of sense. I just got an email saying my closed beta account is being created and the closed beta starts soon, with info on the kickstarter rewards coming soon as well. I've got mixed feelings, as getting the rewards when the game feels half finished doesn't feel as exciting. I mean we haven't even got to try PVE yet and a large majority of the KS rewards besides packs are PVE stuff.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Soooon... http://hextcg.com/client-download/

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

katkillad2 posted:

If that is true then it makes a lot of sense. I just got an email saying my closed beta account is being created and the closed beta starts soon, with info on the kickstarter rewards coming soon as well. I've got mixed feelings, as getting the rewards when the game feels half finished doesn't feel as exciting. I mean we haven't even got to try PVE yet and a large majority of the KS rewards besides packs are PVE stuff.

Seriouspost here: If you don't like it, don't play it.

I don't mean that in the snarky way, I mean it with genuine earnest: Betas are not for everyone. They're not even for a few people. They're there for people that just totally cannot loving wait for this cool new game they're super stoked to play.

I really like hex, I like it a lot. But I've played enough of it to say that I don't enjoy the current form just due to the nature of a beta test and I barely play it. I don't think I've played more than twice in as many months.

But I'm still super stoked to play it when its finished. You can't force yourself to like an unfinished product, and going from Super Unfinished to Very Unfinished isn't going to make you enjoy it any more.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah I pretty much have to agree with Vincent there.

Mostly I'm sad they're bringing in Beta so soon because I love the free drafts and access to all cards. Making pack raptor decks is going to be a nightmare once we lose access.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I started dabbling in Hex again after not playing for quite awhile during Alpha and it definitely feels better now as far as not crashing and cards doing what they're supposed to. The card manager is still kind of wonky but better than it used to be.

Really now what I'd like to see is some UI and usability/readability improvements like making cards easier to read without having to manually do the "zoom to huge" thing and then have to click or ESC to get rid of it all the time. I mean just something like scaling the text better or having a mouseover that shows a more readable version of the card text (hell, just do it like they do on the card manager even) would do wonders. My hope is that now that they've got all the cards in and most of the game modes and mechanics hashed out that they'll have more time to focus on that.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Ideally they would allow 3rd party applications so users could customize their UI/game experience to their black little hearts' content.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

WayAbvPar posted:

Ideally they would allow 3rd party applications so users could customize their UI/game experience to their black little hearts' content.

That's a minefield for a competitive game with real money on the line.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Zurai posted:

That's a minefield for a competitive game with real money on the line.

According to Cryptozoic, data about what cards an opponent has in their hand and stuff like that isn't sent to the client until they need to know. Aside from peeking at their hand, I can't think of anything a 3rd party addon could do to cheat that couldn't also be accomplished with a pad of paper and Skype.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Vincent Valentine posted:

Seriouspost here: If you don't like it, don't play it.

Hard to explain what I was getting at. I think with the Kickstarter hype I let my expectations get pretty high and things just aren't as I anticipated they might be at the point in time when we are going to be getting our rewards. I actually don't play it more than once every month or so and that's just to see how things are coming along.

For people who had two accounts that you were merging into one, did you get one email or two emails about the closed beta? I only got one email, but I had specified to combine both of my accounts back when the Kickstarter was happening.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

katkillad2 posted:

Hard to explain what I was getting at. I think with the Kickstarter hype I let my expectations get pretty high and things just aren't as I anticipated they might be at the point in time when we are going to be getting our rewards. I actually don't play it more than once every month or so and that's just to see how things are coming along.

For people who had two accounts that you were merging into one, did you get one email or two emails about the closed beta? I only got one email, but I had specified to combine both of my accounts back when the Kickstarter was happening.

I got two, so merging might be a series of e-mails

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Some people on the CZE forums seem to think it will just be codes that you are given and apply to your account, which would make sense but I don't know what their source is

Also I have been having a lot of fun putting together a Midnight Shepard deck! Abusing the fact that Angel of Dawn comes into play if its the first card you drew this turn (even if thats during your opponents turn) and Secret Labs to get stuff into the graveyard, it's great to finally have an excuse to play that guy!

edit: also looks like they might have an OSX Client up soonishly

edit edit: you can download the OSX Client now

Grim fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 18, 2014

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Grim posted:

Hell yea just received my emails about HEX Closed Beta Account Information

• In Closed Beta, your account will be wiped of cards currency and other items you may have received in the Alpha stage.
  • Your friends list and any in-game mails you sent or received in Alpha will be wiped.
  • We will send you Kickstarter backer rewards information in a separate email in the near future.

I... didn't get that email. Odd.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It's the same info as from this article so I wouldn't worry yet, but maybe check Spam / Deleted Items / etc

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

BenRGamer posted:

I... didn't get that email. Odd.

If you use Gmail by chance, mine went to the dumb "promotions" tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Thoom posted:

According to Cryptozoic, data about what cards an opponent has in their hand and stuff like that isn't sent to the client until they need to know. Aside from peeking at their hand, I can't think of anything a 3rd party addon could do to cheat that couldn't also be accomplished with a pad of paper and Skype.

Improved sorting of cards in limited tournaments. Automated ranking of cards for limited play, streamlining the drafting/deckmaking process. Improved interface making things faster and easier and giving quicker access to information.

When your time is limited, and that limitation is part of the restrictions the tournament is designed around, speeding things up for some people but not others isn't something they want to do.

• Locked thread