Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I want the Saffron City stage from the N64 game to return. I just like the platforms and atmosphere of that map. I don't care if they cut the Pokémon hazard.

Actually I wouldn't mind the N64 Peach's Castle and Hyryle Castle returning too. Also Subcon from Melee, just because I like the unaltered SMB2 music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

nerdbot posted:

The Dragoon is a fun idea in concept but just doesn't work. I always turned it off.

Also hated how the dragoon always turns off the smash ball until someone finally completes it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Fourside was the best map for Giants+Mushrooms+Metal Box action :madmax:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Echo Chamber posted:

I want the Saffron City stage from the N64 game to return. I just like the platforms and atmosphere of that map. I don't care if they cut the Pokémon hazard.

Actually I wouldn't mind the N64 Peach's Castle and Hyryle Castle returning too. Also Subcon from Melee, just because I like the unaltered SMB2 music.
RIP any characters with bad vertical recovery that get stuck between buildings, like DK, and Ness because of how his up B works.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Echo Chamber posted:

I feel like the successor to Saffron City was Fourside, which had a similar structure and feel. I liked Fourside better, honestly.

I want to see a 64-era stage return, though, and it'd have to be one of those three stages you mentioned.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Echo Chamber posted:

Actually I wouldn't mind the N64 Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle returning too.

These would both be great to get back.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

With how they're actually updating the visuals for past stages this time, it'd be really neat to see N64 stages return. HD Hyrule Castle :swoon:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh my god

I had no idea this was a thing. It looks so bad, like... the budget had to have only been 10 dollars or something.

I admit I smiled really hard seeing Dial M For Monkey in a video game. This is a very diverse cast!

Although, this also proves that even with a well-picked roster, you still need solid combat mechanics behind it. It would be so cool to see some of these in a proper brawler.

Who the hell was toilet guy though?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

That game had good intentions but poor execution.

Excels posted:

Who the hell was toilet guy though?

Toilenator, Kids Next Door. Probably one of the Token Joke Characters of every fighting game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That game led me to learning that Ben Ten's rival is named Kevin E. Levin.

Kevin E. Levin.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Color Printer posted:

That game had good intentions but poor execution.

Toilenator, Kids Next Door. Probably one of the Token Joke Characters of every fighting game.

Shoulda gone with I.R. Baboon.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

That game led me to learning that Ben Ten's rival is named Kevin E. Levin.

Kevin E. Levin.

Oh Goddammit.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh my god

I had no idea this was a thing. It looks so bad, like... the budget had to have only been 10 dollars or something.

Is there just no music at all?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I assumed the uploader just turned off the music so you could hear what the characters were saying. Or maybe it's really poo poo so they just turned it off because it was annoying them.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Uh, Captain loving Planet is a fighter in that game.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

codenameFANGIO posted:

Uh, Captain loving Planet is a fighter in that game.

It's too bad the game sucks because the concept is gold :(

They should do a sequel, but do it right this time.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Crawfish posted:

I thought the Parasol was in Brawl, and I didn't know the Super Hot Curry was confirmed for Smash 4 yet.

And nope, Parasol didn't return.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Parasol

Also forgot Red Shell didn't return either.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Im gonna be mad if they dont allow a 5th person to use the pad to zoom and zip around the battlefield and take photos. Sorta like how Melee let you do but without taking up a player slot and without messing with the player's view.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I was just thinking about Mewtwo, and I think he is going to be left out in an attempt to future-proof the series. If he gets in more than one game, people could consider him grandfathered in, like Marth for instance. And that would take up a pokemon slot on the roster, which is bad because Sakurai, I think, wants those slots to be ever-evolving (heh) to include the newest pokemon generations. Charizard is just taking the place of Pokemon Trainer, and very well may be replaced in the next game as he has only appeared as a solo fighter in one game. I'm getting meta with this poo poo.

E: I have no idea what "getting meta" has to do with anything I just said

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DrPaper posted:

And nope, Parasol didn't return.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Parasol

Also forgot Red Shell didn't return either.

My favorite Smash thing is that all the food is 2D photos of food. I saw those in screenshots and thought, "Oh I'm glad the food is still photos".

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I am Reverend posted:

So there's this indie documentary making the rounds that gives a pretty interesting look at the competitive Smash community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL0FhRGhgFs
Um, this is the best documentary I've ever watched. Definitely check out episode 2.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Space T Rex posted:

E: I have no idea what "getting meta" has to do with anything I just said

So what you're saying is Meta-Knight is confirmed for Smash 4.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I never Meta Knight that I didn't like!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

GameXplain put out another new video, this one picking apart the Direct and pointing out some things that most people might have missed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dzSeICAwZA

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Space T Rex posted:

I was just thinking about Mewtwo, and I think he is going to be left out in an attempt to future-proof the series.

I am certain Mewtwo will be one of the last unlockable hidden challengers. And both of its mega evos will be the final smash (X or Y triggered at random), or at the very least Mega Y.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So there's no way Jigglypuff is out and I'm still expecting a surprise Mewtwo announcement. I don't envy the Smash team cause they have to control themselves and not just make half the roster Pokemon :v: There's so many to choose from!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Macaluso posted:

I don't envy the Smash team cause they have to control themselves and not just make half the roster Pokemon :v: There's so many to choose from!

I'm pretty sure Sakurai does all the controlling for them! :devil:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Pokemon is pretty much the one franchise that I'm okay has multiple representatives. Mostly cause they all feel unique.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zain posted:

Pokemon is pretty much the one franchise that I'm okay has multiple representatives. Mostly cause they all feel unique.

Besides, being away from the shackles of a turn-based RPG with four move limits would let most of them really show off. Smash Bros: Pokemon Edition would be the game that everyone who ever purchased a game in that series wanted from the day they first saw the little monsters.

It'd be like the anime, but actually good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Macaluso posted:

So there's no way Jigglypuff is out and I'm still expecting a surprise Mewtwo announcement. I don't envy the Smash team cause they have to control themselves and not just make half the roster Pokemon :v: There's so many to choose from!

That Pokemon fighting game that might be happening is really interesting for that reason, there is a lot of variety to tap into. I hope they do go absolutely loving nuts on that, too, I want Mismagius to fight Magnezone.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

"We have decided to stop making Smash in favor of our new project, Pokemon Stadium 3. Please understand."

Excels fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 12, 2014

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Excels posted:

"We have decided to stop making Smash in favor of our new project, Pokemon Stadium 2. Please understand."

But Pokemon Stadium 2 did happen.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

But Pokemon Stadium 2 did happen.

... meant to put a 3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

... meant to put a 3

Technically that one happened too! They just went all Final Fantasy with the naming since the first one was lovely and never left Japan.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Geostomp posted:

Besides, being away from the shackles of a turn-based RPG with four move limits would let most of them really show off. Smash Bros: Pokemon Edition would be the game that everyone who ever purchased a game in that series wanted from the day they first saw the little monsters.

It'd be like the anime, but actually good.

Actually the fights are the one reason I really watched the anime as a kid. Being able to dodge and have to aim abilities would be actually fun.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What do people think about Palutena here? I liked Kid Icarus Uprising and I'm ok with her inclusion but I can't say she's the first character that came to mind.

She was a boss fight, right? I'm curious about her moveset.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

What do people think about Palutena here? I liked Kid Icarus Uprising and I'm ok with her inclusion but I can't say she's the first character that came to mind.

She was a boss fight, right? I'm curious about her moveset.

I don't think she's a particularly interesting choice if she gets in, but maybe they'll surprise me. Most of her moves are varieties of laser beam and it's easy enough to see how they'd fit into a moveset (final smash: Palutena Glam Blaster) but it's pretty generic and uninspiring.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Well they did free her up from being Pit's Final Smash, so she isn't a 0% chance or anything.

Sounds like most people would prefer Medusa or Hades, though i'd prefer Hades as a boss in potential Boss Battles mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crawfish posted:

Well they did free her up from being Pit's Final Smash, so she isn't a 0% chance or anything.

Sounds like most people would prefer Medusa or Hades, though i'd prefer Hades as a boss in potential Boss Battles mode.

I don't think Hades would be a great character to be honest. His actual abilities are all fairly meh and people mostly remember him for his personality.

What he would be would be a great stage. There's an Inside Hades level in Kid Icarus Uprising and they could have him commenting on the fights which would capture what is fun about the character a lot more than him being a fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Adam Jensen should be in because DEHRDX was first announced on Wii U. He fights by throwing vending machines and putting ragdolls in compramising positions.

• Locked thread