Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Except Xenogears is also long and also a book in Disc 2 pretending to be a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Rick Springfield is my favorite troper.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
All Rape Is Unrequited

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The good news is that at least Sailor Moon doesn't have any rapes in it! ...just "Mind Rape" and one character "making her think she was going to get raped at one point" and some very overt rape overtones.
Bullshit, in 1997 I saw this one site and

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Byde posted:

Except Xenogears is also long and also a book in Disc 2 pretending to be a game.
On the other hand, anime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they want their Bible animes, why don't they just watch the series where Jesus and Buddha are college roommates?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Because that movie is actually good and doesn't have possible rape overtones.

Really I always figured anime Bible was Evangelion.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fiend Computer posted:

Because that movie is actually good and doesn't have possible rape overtones.

Really I always figured anime Bible was Evangelion.

I'd be surprised if tropers couldn't find rape in any given work of (non)fiction.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

If they want their Bible animes, why don't they just watch the series where Jesus and Buddha are college roommates?

I'd have thought Superbook was the obvious choice. :shrug:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Austrian mook posted:

Is there an anime version of the bible, and does it have a TvTropes page?
Close enough? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manga-Bible-Tyndale-House-Publishers/dp/1414316798/

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Sham bam bamina! posted:

On the other hand, anime.

Speaking of which, is Xenogears supposed to be a homage to Evangelion? They both have all the same qualities of each other: giant robots, emo, bible references, Adam and Eve, crazy girls, pretentiousness, problems during production, etc. etc.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Byde posted:

Speaking of which, is Xenogears supposed to be a homage to Evangelion? They both have all the same qualities of each other: giant robots, emo, bible references, Adam and Eve, crazy girls, pretentiousness, problems during production, etc. etc.

Not really. The similarities are superficial at best.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does this have a name? I kind of need to watch this.

Tropers wouldn't be able to finish the Bible because they'd be too busy working out whether God is a tsundere or yandere for Adam.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Let's not kid ourselves, God was tsundere through and through, Jesus on the other hand.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MinistryofLard posted:

Tropers wouldn't be able to finish the Bible because they'd be too busy working out whether God is a tsundere or yandere for Adam.

The series is called Saint Young Men. I learned about it from the animation gifs thread. It looks hilarious.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

MinistryofLard posted:

Arcsquad12 posted:

The series is called Saint Young Men. I learned about it from the animation gifs thread. It looks hilarious.

It is hilarious, although sometimes the jokes hinge a bit on what life is like for low-income households in Japan.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Byde posted:

It's probably because Christianity is an exotic religion most people in Japan don't follow, so you can throw in bullshit references to sound deep and no one is going to get angry or call you on it.

It's the same over here with Zen/Hinduism/all the other assorted forms of Buddhism/Taoism

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The Bible actually has a fairly extensive page on the site, or at least it used to.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Byde posted:

Xenogears has a ton of tributes and references giant robot anime, including Eva which was and is hugely influential. Xenogears at least had the Gnostic symbolism in the story mean something though.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cursed With Awesome is for situations where something that the story treats as a horrible "curse" really isn't that bad and on the contrary is actually really cool. Think books where perpetual youth is treated as a bad thing because the people around you die before you do, or a video game where lycanthrope/vampirism is basically just a giant stat boost and the normal drawbacks don't exist.

The Examples include a Real Life section.

Autism posted:

Autistic savants: They generally have superb mathematical abilities, despite being burdened with autism and being bully magnets. However, it's generally with very severe cases and is extremely rare.

Not just mathematical abilities; savants can be gifted with artistic, musical, linguistic talent, and so on. The problem is, they tend to only be skilled in that area and absolutely nothing else. It can get oddly specific, too; a savant might be able to draw a horse perfectly, but can't even draw a cloud in the background.

Boobs posted:

Being small or flat-chested. You may not get a lot of attention and you may even feel left out or be teased. But you also have an easy time finding bras and shirts that fit you (may even be able to squeeze yourself into an extra small shirt and still be comfortable) and you won't have to suffer the back pains that your larger-chested counterparts likely do (for example, Queen Latifah said on the Tyra show that her breasts became downright torturous when she used to play basketball, and Tyra added that merely rushing to answer a ringing phone could be painful.)

Some studies show that smaller breasts also are more sensitive, having the same amount of nerves spread over less fatty tissue. Cursed with awesome indeed.

On the subject of breasts, Danielle Houghton, so according to this article (which also references this trope page; freaky!). Her breasts have actually kept growing for quite some time (some say it's because of a medical condition; others birth control gone wrong), are still are. She however gets it worse than other busty women: she needs to also have regular reductions to prevent them from going overboard.

Spergin posted:

While this can vary from the perspective of the individual with it, Asperger's Syndrome is this. Sure you generally will have less social ability, but you have lowered social inhibitions and have "special interests" which enable one to memorize, study, and focus on said subject for longer amounts of time then a normal person.

Coming from said individual's perspective, while Asperger's is a socially harmful condition, the social handicaps just mean that you have to work around them, making gained ability that much more meaningful, truly exemplifying this trope.

If you are born female, however, it can easily lead into Blessed with Suck territory, due to the fact it isn't as easy to diagnose a girl with Asperger's as it is with a boy. Check the trope page for a detailed explanation.

For the RPG Crowd: It's been said that Asperger's Syndrome comes across as if someone decided to make 'Charisma' their dump stat and put all the saved/'saved' points into 'intelligence'.

Virgins posted:

Single people. Although they may feel lonely at times and get ridiculed by others, single people have plenty of benefits. They have more freedom, less drama in their lives, more focus on goals, no worries about someone cheating on them, etc.

All of the above can apply to virgins as well. In addition, virgins don't have to worry about the risks of ST Ds and unwanted pregnancies.

"Blessed With Suck", by the way, is for the opposite: where something that is meant to be good turns out to be awful, like in the story of Midas. Apparently it comes as a surprise to tropers that an autism-spectrum disorder might possibly not be good to have (but only if you're a female).

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 11, 2014

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: On the subject of breasts

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Her breasts have actually kept growing for quite some time (some say it's because of a medical condition; others birth control gone wrong)
Birth control? What?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
"For the RPG Crowd: It's been said that Asperger's Syndrome comes across as if someone decided to make 'Charisma' their dump stat and put all the saved/'saved' points into 'intelligence'."

Oh thank dear christ I was getting confused.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Birth control? What?

Some methods of birth control work by altering hormone levels, which can affect breast size.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Some methods of birth control work by altering hormone levels, which can affect breast size.
Oh, duh. :doh:

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Wait, there's a trope page for Asperger's?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Loki_XLII posted:

Wait, there's a trope page for Asperger's?

Isn't that just all of tvtropes dot com?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Check out the TVT page for any upcoming high profile movie (I'm sure this also works with TV shows, games and other pieces of troper-preferred media) and you'll see that tropers love to fill them to the hilt with "tropes" despite the fact that they've yet to be released. It combines the Internet's love of reporting on every new scrap of information about an unreleased movie with TVTropes' "must catalog everything" obsession and the results are just as worthless as you'd expect.

Seriously, look at how much bullshit they've already written for the new Godzilla film. Imagine what that page will be like when tropers have actually seen the movie!

And then there's creepy poo poo, like in the YMMV tab:

Hilarious In Hindsight posted:

The casting of Aaron Taylor Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen as husband and wife, considering the fact they were recently cast as Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Especially when you remember Ultimate Marvel.

"Especially when you remember" links to Twincest, a trope which makes me sick to my stomach.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ninjasaurus posted:

"Especially when you remember" links to Twincest, a trope which makes me sick to my stomach.

Calling it TWINCEST is awful but you can blame Marvel this time, for unironically having an incestuous romance as a central plot for the Ultimates universe. It isn't even portrayed as a bad thing for them to gently caress, so it's perfect for Tropers

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

Calling it TWINCEST is awful but you can blame Marvel this time, for unironically having an incestuous romance as a central plot for the Ultimates universe. It isn't even portrayed as a bad thing for them to gently caress, so it's perfect for Tropers

Wasp told Captain America about it and he didn't understand at first, and she clarified as though it's just a normal thing for the modern day and he wasn't getting it because of his time displacement.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

WickedHate posted:

Wasp told Captain America about it and he didn't understand at first, and she clarified as though it's just a normal thing for the modern day and he wasn't getting it because of his time displacement.

I did not know that.

Boy am I glad I don't read comic books anymore. :smug:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, it was a universally hated mini. Or as TV Tropes would put it, "So Bad It's Horrible".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, it was a universally hated mini. Or as TV Tropes would put it, "So Bad It's Horrible".

it might just have been a miniseries but it also winds up being the catalyst for pretty much every crossover event that follows

because their love was so pure, you see

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Really happy that I never got into comics as a kid. SA has taught me that my own nerdery of having birthday parties at museums was perhaps the most benign form of nerd childhood I could have. At least it never came close to giving me a socially cripling sexual fetish or insane obsession with unspeakably awful fandoms.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Little Blackfly posted:

Really happy that I never got into comics as a kid. SA has taught me that my own nerdery of having birthday parties at museums was perhaps the most benign form of nerd childhood I could have. At least it never came close to giving me a socially cripling sexual fetish or insane obsession with unspeakably awful fandoms.

Were they museums for painted art or did you love dinosaurs like the rest of us?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

every kid likes dinosaurs

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm a grown adult and I'd totally have a birthday party at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. Place owns.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I got to sleep over in a museum when I was a kid, it was pretty sweet.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Spergin posted:

While this can vary from the perspective of the individual with it, Asperger's Syndrome is this. Sure you generally will have less social ability, but you have lowered social inhibitions and have "special interests" which enable one to memorize, study, and focus on said subject for longer amounts of time then a normal person.

Coming from said individual's perspective, while Asperger's is a socially harmful condition, the social handicaps just mean that you have to work around them, making gained ability that much more meaningful, truly exemplifying this trope.

If you are born female, however, it can easily lead into Blessed with Suck territory, due to the fact it isn't as easy to diagnose a girl with Asperger's as it is with a boy. Check the trope page for a detailed explanation.

For the RPG Crowd: It's been said that Asperger's Syndrome comes across as if someone decided to make 'Charisma' their dump stat and put all the saved/'saved' points into 'intelligence'.

I can't wait until someone tells this snowflake that Asperger's doesn't actually give you higher intelligence. And why does being an autistic girl make you blessed with suck as opposed to being an autistic boy?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Clochette posted:

I can't wait until someone tells this snowflake that Asperger's doesn't actually give you higher intelligence.

Now, now, I'm pretty sure it correlates with higher intelligence.

...because being a well-off shut-in induces Asperger's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I know quite a few people with Asperger's syndrome who are undeniably intelligent and surpass their peers in knowledge or academic achievement, but I know just as many who are just nerdy and not really good at anything that isn't their favorite RPG series or anime trivia.

• Locked thread