Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Not having Raw and Smackdown live / or even up the next day takes away significant value of the network for me. TV/Cable is a soon to be dead medium that the sooner it collapses under it's own weight the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

When in the episode is this?

A bit after the first match, I believe. They don't have that episode thoroughly bookmarked but it's at least after 10 minutes?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
It's really adorable that folks are complaining about wanting raws and smackdowns when it was neither promised and it'd compete with their upcoming media rights deal that will be several times the amount of annual revenue for the network.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

cheesetriangles posted:

Not having Raw and Smackdown live / or even up the next day takes away significant value of the network for me. TV/Cable is a soon to be dead medium that the sooner it collapses under it's own weight the better.

WWE is depending on those big $$$ TV contracts to make the Network work. There's not enough people to cover the lost of PPV revenue and the TV contracts. Even if everybody who watched Raw subscribed.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Acrolos posted:

Yeah, I remember all of that from when I was a kid...but then again, I never really watched Raw that much. The reason this came up in my mind was because I realized that in all of the episodes I've watched, I've yet to see the Undertaker. He hasn't been in any matches, there haven't been any promos, nothing. I assumed Hogan was on his way out because Lugar is getting the big push, but the lack of the Undertaker was an odd thing.

I do know that he's a part of the Survivor Series match that they are pushing now, as a result of the Tatanka injury angle...so maybe Undertaker is coming back from an injury of some kind that I don't remember.

I have definitely noticed that anytime there is a big angle, they are usually showing clips from Superstars rather than it happening on Raw.
It was really weird seeing whatever Raw they were showing late last night, and having Ludvig Borga in a squash match to promote an upcoming Superstars match against Tatanka. I think I perceived Raw as the A-show back then, but only because I didn't have cable so it seemed so remote and mysterious. Now that I'm seeing some of this stuff in full for the first time, it seems like that isn't the case, at least not in 1993.

Or it seemed like Raw had more "name" vs "name" matches than Superstars (maybe 3 per show instead of like 3 per month) but major angles were more likely to go down on Superstars. And title changes, while always more likely to happen on PPV, were pretty evenly spread between Superstars, Raw, and house shows.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

cheesetriangles posted:

That's cute but without the TV show, on cable, the WWE loses a shitload of money and viewership

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Moreover, moving Smackdown and RAW to be Network exclusive hamstrings them in the long run. Having good shows on free tv/basic cable is how new fans get into it; if you can't watch anything decent without a $10/month commitment your stream of new fans slows to a trickle. This is one of the reasons the popularity of boxing has dropped so steeply since the advent of HBO/Showtime.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Smackdown might potentially be on the Network, but Raw will never be because there's too much money in it being on cable and because how the hell would you bring in new fans if all of your content was on a pay service someone has to seek out.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
The fact is most people have cable and watch TV. If you don't that's fine, I get it. But WWE is not going to cater to you, they're going to cater to the casual viewer and try to get people to start watching. The network is a giant bone thrown to current viewers and people who don't watch because they can't afford the pay per view prices, plus die-hards who want all that library content. It's not the WWE Channel

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I'm pretty sure he meant "It'd be nice if Raw/Smackdown could be aired concurrently on The Network" not "I wish Raw/Smackdown only aired on The Network and nowhere else" guys. Still won't happen any time soon, but it'd beat the poo poo out of using crappy streams.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can see at some point Raw being simulcast, but not without a very different TV deal first.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

The regular stream for Raw is incredibly good. I don't know about Smackdown because yeah, like I'm gonna watch Smackdown

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Fiveace Attorney posted:

The fact is most people have cable and watch TV. If you don't that's fine, I get it. But WWE is not going to cater to you, they're going to cater to the casual viewer and try to get people to start watching. The network is a giant bone thrown to current viewers and people who don't watch because they can't afford the pay per view prices, plus die-hards who want all that library content. It's not the WWE Channel

Yeah, the "dying format" thing is always overstated a little- cable IS in decline and the old TV model will have to change eventually, but in the meantime millions of people are watching the top TV shows on networks and cable and the people who own the stations won't walk away from that before they have to.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Under the vegetable posted:

I got the WWE Network because I don't even have loving cable. I'm not going to make my monthly Verizon bill go up double, plus pay 60 dollars a month or whatever for fuckin ppvs. I love wrestling and wrestling right now is primo, but I'll drop it like a hot potato if they start pulling wacky "oh mania is on cable tho" nonsense.

Honestly I'm hoping the Network is a move to eventually get Raw and Smackdown off of television and onto the Network too, and have a direct subscriber base in lieu of advertisers influencing the product quite as much, since this pre-show on one thing and then I have to find a stream or something since I don't have cable and then back to the WWE Network thing is for the birds.

Do you realize how much their TV deal is worth? Raw and Smackdown will not be going to the network for at least 15 years.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Why does it have to be exclusive? Can Raw not be on cable and the network?

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Do you think USA would just be okay with that?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Not if WWE wants 300 million for their TV rights.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Most likely not. Just wishful thinking :(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spikeguy posted:

I've been meaning to ask you since you went to Wrestlemania, have you watched the event again on the Network? Every time I do, I get this big drat smile on my face.

I've watched basically the whole thing except the majority of Lesnar/Taker. I watched the end of it though. And I've watched Bryan win the title like 15 times. :)

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I've watched basically the whole thing except the majority of Lesnar/Taker. I watched the end of it though. And I've watched Bryan win the title like 15 times. :)

How quiet was it when Taker lost?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

It, in all seriousness, was like an actual funeral. I honestly thought it'd ruin Bryan's moment because I didn't think the crowd would cheer for anything again. God bless Orton, Batista, Bryan, and The Authority for actually pulling off re-energizing the crowd whatsoever.

Also everyone watch that "No Hope With Dope" thing, it is the best thing.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

It wasn't quite from where I was sitting. Just a lot of holy poo poo, and bullshit chants. The event comes off quieter than it was because the dome is so loving big.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
isn't one of the biggest reasons investors were being bullish on WWE stock the idea that their upcoming TV deal will be much more lucrative than their current one?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spikeguy posted:

It wasn't quite from where I was sitting. Just a lot of holy poo poo, and bullshit chants. The event comes off quieter than it was because the dome is so loving big.

It was DEATHLY quiet where I was, man.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The more I think about the Taker loss, the less I like it. The match sucked eggs and there was no buildup to it. It was very WTF instead of "wow."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It was DEATHLY quiet where I was, man.

Where were you at? I was directly across from the entrance in the plaza section. I was around a pretty rowdy bunch. What was funny was I was sitting between some guys from Canada and some guys from Japan. One guy from Canada was wearing a Lesnar shirt and I was wearing a Bryan shirt and we were heckling each other all night. In the end, we both got what we want.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fiveace Attorney posted:

I think DVR numbers only factor into ratings within the first 24 hours. There comes a point where the show is so old that viewship doesn't matter because people are not watching the commercials.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spikeguy posted:

Where were you at? I was directly across from the entrance in the plaza section. I was around a pretty rowdy bunch. What was funny was I was sitting between some guys from Canada and some guys from Japan. One guy from Canada was wearing a Lesnar shirt and I was wearing a Bryan shirt and we were heckling each other all night. In the end, we both got what we want.

I was with a rowdy bunch too. I was in 140. There was a small pocket of pro Lesnar dudes, but it was mostly Taker fans. Two guys got a bullshit chant going and then a "We Want Refunds" chant. When I was walking out there was one loving SMASHED Lesnar fan who just kept going "EAT SLEEP BREAK THE STREAK! SUCK IT TAKER! WOOO! GOT TWO WORDS FOR YOU TAKER! SUCK IT!" and everyone around me just totally no-sold it, it was hilarious.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It, in all seriousness, was like an actual funeral. I honestly thought it'd ruin Bryan's moment because I didn't think the crowd would cheer for anything again. God bless Orton, Batista, Bryan, and The Authority for actually pulling off re-energizing the crowd whatsoever.

Yeah, watching it live this is what made it doubly worse. It was bad enough the streak went away after a terrible match where the crowd wasn't into it....made even worse by the fact that it looked to completely kill the crowd for what should be a special moment later. It's pretty amazing that they got the crowd back.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

isn't one of the biggest reasons investors were being bullish on WWE stock the idea that their upcoming TV deal will be much more lucrative than their current one?

I think Variety reported that they were going for double their current rate and, that for that price, the network that got them would expect digital rights to be included.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I think DVR numbers only factor into ratings within the first 24 hours. There comes a point where the show is so old that viewship doesn't matter because people are not watching the commercials.

90 minute cuts of the shows go up on Hulu the next day, so I was under the impression that the lack of replays 24 hours after the live show was more related to their deal with Hulu, not the TV companies.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm watching this week's countdown finally and man, there is so much bitter in the Disco Inferno interviews. The dude was legit over and you can tell everyone was crazy jealous.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm watching this week's countdown finally and man, there is so much bitter in the Disco Inferno interviews. The dude was legit over and you can tell everyone was crazy jealous.

Definitely. That was super weird to me. In one segment they're talking about how the Mountie was such a good annoying heel, and in that segment they act like fans annoyed at the annoying heel.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Scott Steiner hates ducks.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Also the part where he asks the concierge for the number of a palm reader is legit funny, not just wrestling funny

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DannoMack posted:

Also the part where he asks the concierge for the number of a palm reader is legit funny, not just wrestling funny

I remember him being one of my favorite wrestlers back then and watching that segment completely validated it for teenage me.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Can I get a little list of good PPVs and RAWs from the earlier era? I'm a new fan, pretty much caught up on current storylines, just watched the Mick Foley doc and goddamn. Did every other match bust out the barbed wire and thumbtacks?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zonekeeper posted:

90 minute cuts of the shows go up on Hulu the next day, so I was under the impression that the lack of replays 24 hours after the live show was more related to their deal with Hulu, not the TV companies.

They still want you to watch on a DRV within 24 hours and forget to skip the commercials I guess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Astro7x posted:

They still want you to watch on a DRV within 24 hours and forget to skip the commercials I guess.

I think it's more that Hulu is partially owned by NBCU so they still get a cut from people watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I'm so confused. I thought RAW replays were on the Network? I see four episodes from 2014, and I can't find any more by searching.

Am I crazy? What gives? I want to watch last week's episode, but no dice.