Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Volume 15 of Yowamushi Pedal is translated and Midosuji's trashtalking and expressions reach new highs (or lows?)
Even his breakdown expressions are amazing. And him bringing up the rabbit against Shinkai... he's the guy you love to hate :allears:

And then the ending of that volume... the hot-blooded battle of sprinting demons :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I don't think there's a thread for it and it's kinda hard to categorize, so i'll use this thread.

More Awkward Confessions Gone Wrong: the manga.

And appropriate BGM.

Dunno why i love this thing so much, but it has never disappointed me so far.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

HenryEx posted:

I don't think there's a thread for it and it's kinda hard to categorize, so i'll use this thread.

More Awkward Confessions Gone Wrong: the manga.

And appropriate BGM.

Dunno why i love this thing so much, but it has never disappointed me so far.

Did you miss the Miscellaneous Romance & Shoujo thread? This would go perfectly in there!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I've recently been revisiting Hikaru no Go a bit, after not having watched/read it in like 10+ years, and it's a pretty fascinating experience. I really loved and responded to it when I first got into it, and I even remember following the scanlations as they were released, chapter by chapter, and doing the same with the anime. I liked superficially because growing up I was very into playing chess and M:tG in tournaments and such, and the idea of a shounen series about Go is mildly comparable to what a show about playing one of those games would be like -- in that it's an intellectual game that has a highly competitive scene -- although I hasten to add that I prefer Go to both of those games and think that it works the best for a series like this for tons of reasons, not least of which because there is so much historicity within the game, but because it's aesthetically beautiful as a game in every way, from the gorgeous solid wood goban to the black and white stones, the sound they make, the deliberate pace of the game... it's all just so lovely.

And other than the supernatural element of Sai possessing Hikaru, everything is VERY much grounded in reality, to a degree that you very, very rarely see in shounen anime/manga. The whole Go scene is kinda weird and offbeat, and most of the players you see are geeks, misfits, weird/slightly creepy older guys, etc. Hikaru isn't some paragon of virtue and talent or some sort of badass, he's just a bratty little kid throughout most of the show, even after his Go skills emerge. You actually watch him grow and mature and emerge into adulthood. The anime kinda botches the visual growth of the characters by having inconsistent production values (I always thought), but in the manga, watching Hikaru and Akira slowly grow from little kids into young men is really great, and mostly really well done by the artist.

Another thing is that the main character does *not* always win the big game. In so many shounen series the tension is just nonexistant because you *know* the main character will succeed. But it's impressive how they undercut this from the start, in part by making the unbeatable character Sai, a much more complex and interesting dynamic exists and is developed.

Oh and another thing: I think Hikaru no Go is like one of the very few shounen animes I have seen that features a female character (Kaneko, at Hikaru's school in the Go Club) who is overweight, unattractive, and not a sex object -- and yet portrayed in a fairly strong and positive way, even though she's very much a supporting character. Just one of those things that seems absurdly rare for anime.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 7, 2014

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
edit: Oh, right, it has it's own thread.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 10, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is Inuyasha a decent series at all? ADTRWiki does not seem to like the anime very much, is that just the anime or also the manga?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I find both repetitive, especially the anime due to filler padding. Manga doesn't have the padding, but the arcs themselves still generally go through the same motions over and over again from what I remember.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The anime also doesn't really..end. It just kind of stops. Unless there was more to it that Adult Swim never bothered to air, the last episode is just "someday we'll catch Naraku....some day..."

In general the anime is not very good, I remember back in highschool around like 2008 when they still aired four episodes a night at like 4am I managed to watch the entire series over a few months cuz insomnia rules and it is the most tedious shounen I've ever experienced to this day.

Also they seem to always operate on the assumption that the viewer won't ever remember plot points since every goddamn fight Moroku would try to use his wind tunnel only for someone to tell him he can't because of Naraku's poisonous insects. Every. Goddamn Time.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 11, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

quote is not edit.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Is Inuyasha a decent series at all? ADTRWiki does not seem to like the anime very much, is that just the anime or also the manga?

Rumiko Takahashi is hack and a profoundly dull writer. Tedious is really the best way to describe Inu Yasha and anything else she worked on. There is never decent payoff for slogging through the epic-length stories that claim to be romance, but never actually progress in any meaningful way.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
See also Oh My Goddess which I hear is actually ending after what, thirty years and is pretty legendary for the main couple never so much as kissing.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Seven Deadly Sins getting an anime!. I love the series, but I still wish Kongou Banchou had gotten one. Still, curious what studio is gonna get it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Rumiko Takahashi is hack and a profoundly dull writer. Tedious is really the best way to describe Inu Yasha and anything else she worked on. There is never decent payoff for slogging through the epic-length stories that claim to be romance, but never actually progress in any meaningful way.

I liked Maison Ikkoku. It ended pretty well, but the whole resolution to the romance was realllllllly dragged out. Like there's a whole five volumes or more from the couples' admission of love, through their wedding, and finally the end.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Hey Maison Ikkoku was good, and

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This talk about Rumiko Takahashi reminded me, did Ranma 1/2 had an ending? The anime was kind of big here on the 90's but it was never fully aired.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This talk about Rumiko Takahashi reminded me, did Ranma 1/2 had an ending? The anime was kind of big here on the 90's but it was never fully aired.

The anime never had a proper ending. The manga did, though the way it was done pissed a lot of people off. (I was fine with it personally.)

As far as Rumiko in general goes I loved the heck out of Ranma and Maison Ikkoku back in the day. Inuyasha always sucked though, and Rinne always felt like it was just her retirement plan. In general everything she does is just set-up/introducing characters and then episodic nonsense all the way to the end. Plot is not her thing.

I'm worried that Seven Deadly Sins is getting an anime too soon. It's not even a hundred chapters in yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

See also Oh My Goddess which I hear is actually ending after what, thirty years and is pretty legendary for the main couple never so much as kissing.
They kissed a few times! It just never went beyond that, which wound up getting a really silly hand wave excuse in the final arc.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 12, 2014

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Seven Deadly Sins is awesome and so is Maison Ikkoku.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

They kissed a few times! It just never went beyond that, which wound getting a really silly hand wave excuse in the final arc.
Hahaha what was it? Would he die if he got a boner or something?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Pierson posted:

Funnily enough there's a shonen manga with that exact premise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

Heaven basically sealed his sexual drive to prevent procreation between humans and gods. I couldn't stop laughing.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Delete oh gently caress I'm stupid and didn't read the thread.

Well While I'm here any magic and sword shounen mangas to recommend?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Negima and UQ Holder. If you can get past the first 2 volumes of Negima, and deal with a smattering of fanservice here and there, then the action is a lot of fun. UQ Holder is a sequel, but you don't need to read Negima first (you still should though!)

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I actually reread the whole InuYasha manga recently, because I own the first half of the series and wanted to decide if I should sell them or not. It was a fun nostalgia trip but, yeah, I would never recommend that series to anyone who's never read it before. Maison Ikkoku is her best work, InuYasha is, at best, a guilty pleasure. While I still enjoyed the earlier parts, the second half of the series is so painful to get through. There's monster-of-the-week stuff through the very last volumes.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What is people's opinion of Dragon Ball these days? I didn't really watch DBZ as a kid and I just read through Freeza in the manga, and it's entertaining enough. It's interesting to see what other peoples' opinions are seeing as it's the most well known shonen in existence. Having just gotten into anime/manga I have nothing to compare this to beyond limited middle/high school nostalgia.

I will say though that I'm not super impressed with the anime, even the Kai remaster. I think I'm just too old to overlook the fact that it, and shonen in general I guess, was written for 13 year olds, and this seems to bleed through a lot more in anime in general than it does in manga. I haven't read Naruto (yet) but rewatching episodes is something of the same experience.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 12, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

icantfindaname posted:

What is people's opinion of Dragon Ball these days? I didn't really watch DBZ as a kid and I just read through Freeza in the manga, and it's entertaining enough. It's interesting to see what other peoples' opinions are seeing as it's the most well known shonen in existence. Having just gotten into anime/manga I have nothing to compare this to beyond limited middle/high school nostalgia.

I will say though that I'm not super impressed with the anime, even the Kai remaster. I think I'm just too old to overlook the fact that it, and shonen in general I guess, was written for 13 year olds, and this seems to bleed through a lot more in anime in general than it does in manga. I haven't read Naruto (yet) but rewatching episodes is something of the same experience.

Not crazy about the anime. The manga is really solid; though it starts to show cracks as Toriyama changes the plot according to fan and editor wishes around the Cell arc, it's still good as long as you don't mind the traditional battle shounen formula (that Dragonball itself helped shape).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

I'm reading the manga now (currently on the Freeza storyline) and it's a mixed bag. It's obvious in places that Toriyama is making things up as he goes along, the characters don't have much depth, and the fights can get pretty samey at times. I'd honestly consider it weaker than Naruto or Bleach overall (although Naruto has been pretty bad for a while lately). However, there's some really good stuff early on, and even in the Saiyan Saga things like teamwork and tactics still matter; it's not total crap like Reborn (yet?). If nothing else, I think it has historical value because of the ways it obviously inspired other series (particularly Hunter x Hunter, but obviously most shonen battle manga to some extent).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 12, 2014

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
edit: Wrong megathread.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Pierson posted:

Yes, but his artwork now is *gorgeous*.

Honestly, I quit paying attention to the plot long ago.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

Heaven basically sealed his sexual drive to prevent procreation between humans and gods. I couldn't stop laughing.
That's amazing.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Delete oh gently caress I'm stupid and didn't read the thread.

Well While I'm here any magic and sword shounen mangas to recommend?
Magi is fun and has not yet ascended up it's own rear end in a top hat.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

Seven Deadly Sins getting an anime!. I love the series, but I still wish Kongou Banchou had gotten one. Still, curious what studio is gonna get it.

I gave it a try, it's entertaining but that one chick manages to be even worse than Lucy from FT holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh boy, new Plug-In Girl!

edit: um, :stare::stare::stare:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 15, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
It's a new Soul Catcher(S) chapter!

I'm guessing the flute player might have a respiratory illness or something like that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Silver2195 posted:

I'm reading the manga now (currently on the Freeza storyline) and it's a mixed bag. It's obvious in places that Toriyama is making things up as he goes along, the characters don't have much depth, and the fights can get pretty samey at times. I'd honestly consider it weaker than Naruto or Bleach overall (although Naruto has been pretty bad for a while lately). However, there's some really good stuff early on, and even in the Saiyan Saga things like teamwork and tactics still matter; it's not total crap like Reborn (yet?). If nothing else, I think it has historical value because of the ways it obviously inspired other series (particularly Hunter x Hunter, but obviously most shonen battle manga to some extent).

To defend Reborn the Vongola rings arc was great, and the first part of the future arc was real promising.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dexo posted:

To defend Reborn the Vongola rings arc was great, and the first part of the future arc was real promising.

Yeah, even Reborn had some strong points early on, although it was never exceptional. It nevertheless had several fundamental problems that it showed hints of early on, even if they didn't fully emerge until later: the cyclical character development (Tsuna in particular keeps becoming ok and then reverts to being terrible), the constant powerups changing everyone's abilities to the point where every fight was essentially between two unknowns (which means less seeing known abilities used tactically), the constant powerups leading to inconsistencies, the messed up ideas about gender and sexuality (even by shonen manga standards), and probably other things I've forgotten.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Went back and read Kingdom from the beginning and it's pretty great. Switching back and forth between ridiculous fights and ridiculous strategies and tactics gives it a lot more variety than most shounen.

Also for some amusement read the wikipedia articles on the characters' real counterparts.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New LasBoss X Hero

Ok, what the gently caress is going on? :psyduck:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New LasBoss X Hero

Ok, what the gently caress is going on? :psyduck:

The dumbest thing. I'm enjoying it, but I can't pretend that it's making a lick of sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silento posted:

Negima and UQ Holder. If you can get past the first 2 volumes of Negima, and deal with a smattering of fanservice here and there, then the action is a lot of fun. UQ Holder is a sequel, but you don't need to read Negima first (you still should though!)

I just wanted to mention that if you still don't like Negima (I really tried, but the fan-service and setting - in terms of the main characters being a class of girls taught by a little boy - were too much), still give UQ Holder a shot. While nothing amazing, it's been a pretty solid shounen title so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So, um, which version of FMA should I be watching? I've seen the first chunk of Brotherhood (up to about the point where it breaks off from the original) and it's pretty great, but I've been reading bits and pieces about the original and it sounds... kinda batshit insane but also really dope.