Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

UberJew posted:

Sacramento and cool stuff don't belong in the same sentence.

Doesn't Sacramento has lovely levies or something that will fall apart and destroy the whole city if there's an earthquake? That seems pretty cool. Living on the edge et cetera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
That train museum is pretty cool. Assuming it's still there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Illuminado posted:

but you have to go to Sacto for the cool stuff.

^^^ The first time these words have been used in this combination.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
It's not the sprawling megalopolis that is San Diego or the Bay, but you can actually live there, and there's a variable plethora of fun things to do; decent venues, bars, restaurants, clubs, hiking, cycling, camping, water stuffs, and good food to eat. Win/Win in my book, but you can keep going back to arguing about how terrible it is to live in SF/LA/SD.

Also, it'll be Natomas (our halo city to the north) that floods, and they get what they deserve to have developed all that residential land on a floodplain.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 11, 2014

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

withak posted:

^^^ The first time these words have been used in this combination.

I live way up in the North Valley and I don't know anyone who goes to Sacramento for leisure. Everyone just drives the extra distance to the Bay where things are actually happening.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Tacier posted:

I live way up in the North Valley and I don't know anyone who goes to Sacramento for leisure. Everyone just drives the extra distance to the Bay where things are actually happening.

Things? I still have a bunch of friends who will come see shows from Redding and Chico fairly regularly, but whatever this is getting drawn into an odd sort of pissing match.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
ATM Sacramento is hosed if a bad flood comes. They are fixing levees pretty fast though so in a few years they might not be quite as hosed.

Along the same lines, a little-known fact is that southern CA should live in fear of an earthquake near the delta. A bunch of levees would fail and result in the flooding of several large areas that are currently dry and located below sea level. That would result in things flowing backwards for a while, drawing up salt water from the bay into the delta. Currently not enough fresh water is allowed out through the delta to push that salt water back into the bay, so the intakes to the aqueducts carrying water south would be sitting for quite some time in water too salty to be potable. If they are lucky that earthquake might come at the end of a number of record rainfall years because emptying out every full reservoir in northern CA could maybe barely push that salt water back out to the bay in a year. With the current state of northern CA's climate and reservoir storage it would be several years at least before anything drinkable could be pumped out of the delta.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Illuminado posted:

Things? I still have a bunch of friends who will come see shows from Redding and Chico fairly regularly, but whatever this is getting drawn into an odd sort of pissing match.

I don't actually think Sac is a terrible place to live. It's conveniently situated geographically and I'd take it over Stockton or Fresno any day of the week. It's just not a place I think of as a destination, in the sense that it very rarely gives me reasons to go there. I'm definitely not throwing stones since I live in Chico where there's even less to do.

withak posted:

ATM Sacramento is hosed if a bad flood comes. They are fixing levees pretty fast though so in a few years they might not be quite as hosed.

Along the same lines, a little-known fact is that southern CA should live in fear of an earthquake near the delta. A bunch of levees would fail and result in the flooding of several large areas that are currently dry and located below sea level.
Tulare lake shall rise again!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Bar bands are always horrible and annoying as poo poo once you get over 30 years old kids. :corsair:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tacier posted:

Tulare lake shall rise again!

Maybe not that far south.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Alright fellow statespeople, where in California can you find a reasonable intersection between affordable land, proximity to a metro area, and water availability?

I want a tiny farm someday but I think I've been priced out of California, unless I go back to Fresno. And I ain't goin' back to Fresno.

Presumably some places here on the north coast might do, but I think it's too remote for me long term.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

RabbitMage posted:

Alright fellow statespeople, where in California can you find a reasonable intersection between affordable land, proximity to a metro area, and water availability?

No such thing.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

withak posted:

No such thing.

I know. Damnit, California. :negative:

My desire for these things has me looking places I never thought I'd go, like Texas. And Florida. I feel like a traitor.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Maybe like the area around Lompoc? I know there's still some smaller family farms there and it's not desert. I have no idea how expensive it is but sure nothing like the horse ranches and wineries in Paso Robles.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

RabbitMage posted:

Ohio.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lots of water along the coast, if you don't mind the salinity.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Columbia River Valley, Oregon/Washington. Reasonably close to Portland, reasonably affordable, and the Colombia provides reasonable supply of fresh water. Also it's beautiful.

For example, with a minute of googling: 5.5 acres in Dallesport, WA. Looks to be about 40 or 50 miles from Portland, and $90k for what I'd call enough land for a "tiny farm" might be what you're looking for pricewise.

You can find land like that in California, but not anywhere near a metro area.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

It also has Santa Anita which puts it ahead of 70% of California jurisdictions already.

Which is in Arcadia? I agree, though, that I love Chinese food and, thus, like Alhambra.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

erobadapazzi posted:

Which is in Arcadia? I agree, though, that I love Chinese food and, thus, like Alhambra.

Ah yeah, whoops, well Alhambra has the Fosselmans.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Doesn't Sacramento has lovely levies or something that will fall apart and destroy the whole city if there's an earthquake? That seems pretty cool. Living on the edge et cetera.

They never built the Auburn Dam which would have been a sword of Damocles ready to kill a million people but there are a number of other dams in the mountains that if they broke could put most of the city under 20 feet of water.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

RabbitMage posted:

Pick two.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

RabbitMage posted:

I want a tiny farm someday but I think I've been priced out of California, unless I go back to Fresno. And I ain't goin' back to Fresno.

Presumably some places here on the north coast might do, but I think it's too remote for me long term.

Tracy, maybe? I grew up in nearby Livermore and know someone who has a modest family farm in Tracy and they're definitely not anything even close to approaching rich. Not sure about the water situation, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy,_California

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RabbitMage posted:

There's some beautiful spots along 395 but they're still a drive to "major" metro areas. The area around Minden and Carson Valley in general is also very nice and you have short drives to Tahoe and Reno from there, but it's technically Nevada.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aerox posted:

Tracy, maybe? I grew up in nearby Livermore and know someone who has a modest family farm in Tracy and they're definitely not anything even close to approaching rich. Not sure about the water situation, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy,_California

Tracy's water is the same sacramento delta water that gets shared between Sacramento, the Smelt and LA so I wouldn't be too optimistic about the future water situation.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
...for the price of a decent sized Bay Area home with 2 parking spots! No Blue Bottle coffee though*, and a fixie bike probably isn't the best choice for the terrain.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/70858-Highway-70-Graeagle-CA-96103/2112414173_zpid/

Maybe grow potatoes, wheat or have a large christmas tree farm.

*check out the coffee thread for home roasting and pourover alternatives!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 11, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

There's a reason houses are cheap there.

The Bay Area has thousands of amazing restaurants, dozens of amazing museums, hundreds of live music venues, interesting events and activities happening every day, and yet still manages to have lots of high-quality protected green space. This is why it's more entertaining to live here than in the Inland Empire.

We also have a higher average standard of living, much better employment prospects, a functional public transportation network, milder summer weather, a far more multicultural population, and we actually provide more services for the poor, too. We have fresher groceries (and a wider variety of fresh groceries), and a wider variety of outdoor activities you can get to within an hour or two's drive.

And of course we have more liberal politics, although obviously some people prefer that and some people hate it.

It's definitely more expensive to live here (but we also have higher salaries). I'm sympathetic to those who can't or don't want to pay what it costs for real estate in the bay area. But to actually prefer the soul-sucking cultural vacuum of the Inland Empire just strikes me as either rationalizing one's inescapable situation, or alternatively, a really bizarre prioritization of home square footage over all other aspects of human quality of life.

Also it doesn't smell like cow manure every other day.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Maybe it didn't make the list from 2 pages ago because it has moderate access to some nice nature areas but Yucaipa is hands down, without a doubt, the worst, most boring city I have ever been to.

Edit: and I grew up in Menifee of all places, so I know lovely and boring.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

RabbitMage posted:

Define Metro area. If you're looking for an LA, San Francisco vibe, then you're going to be priced out unless you don't mind a 1-2 hour commute into those places.

If you don't mind the compromise, I grew up in Chico (~200k population area), and can tell you that it has enough stuff there to make you feel like you're living in a real city. You can get ~10-20 miles outside of town, and can get a good couple of acres for not a terribly high price. Durham, Biggs, Orland being the agricultural towns surrounding it.

If you're looking for some place closer to San Francisco, then Tracy/Livermore/Manteca would be a good choice like Aerox said. Also near that area are Vacaville, Fairfield, Dixon, Winters that are rural enough to have a bit more feasible pricing, while remaining about 30m from Sacramento and 60-90 minutes to the Bay Area (depending on traffic) so you can have your civilization at arms reach. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I guess "metro" might have been a bit ambitious, but odds are I'm going to end up working in a city (looking toward zoos and aquariums) and for reasons of visiting family, a reasonable drive to a larger airport is a major plus. I'm in Humboldt County now, and flying out of the airport up here is twice as expensive as it was in Fresno, and three times as expensive as it would be flying out of SFO/San Jose. If I don't have to contend with snow I'm fine with a 30-50 minute commute.

It would be a small farm, I'm thinking 2-5 acres, just enough for a little homesteading on top of a fairly normal life.

I am tired of the lovely Central Valley summers, but I can deal with hot if the air is breathable and I can keep the vegetables watered.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Uh you can try Sonoma/Mendocino. I grew up around Healdsburg & Cotati and theres a lot of little farms and such around Petaluma/Cotati/Sebastopol outskirts that were 'reasonable' but they may have skyrocketed again. But you might want to consider it before they finish the SMART Train (which will be a crappy debacle imo but that's another story) because prices will probably be on a steady rise after that.

It's also "reasonably" close to SF/Bay Area. I used to drive from Petaluma -> Lafayette after my work shift to visit my girlfriend and back and it was probably about ~1 hr-ish. Going directly to SF should be faster.

Tacier posted:

I don't actually think Sac is a terrible place to live. It's conveniently situated geographically and I'd take it over Stockton or Fresno any day of the week. It's just not a place I think of as a destination, in the sense that it very rarely gives me reasons to go there. I'm definitely not throwing stones since I live in Chico where there's even less to do.

Yea that's a good way to put it. I lived in Davis and I can confirm it does own (except for pollen). Sacramento, while the weather sucks even more, isn't horrible. It's biggest downfall is that it's still very car-oriented (though that's changing and there are some very bikeable areas) and gets really hot at times (but so does 95% of CA). Otherwise there was ton of great food, arts, history, very diverse and energetic culture, and affordable living. I live in Berkeley now and every now and then I pine for Davis. Cost of living was like a 1/4th of what it is here and honestly there is generally better and cheaper food options in Davis/Sac than there is here in the East Bay (though we have better upscale restaurants)

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 12, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

RabbitMage posted:

You didn't mention crime, so Vallejo. You can get a fairly majestic, if worn, Victorian in Downtown Vallejo for pennies. You can walk to the ferry which goes to San Francisco fairly quickly and regularly.
Note, however, the crime rate and a police force which would sooner shoot you than help you. Also whatever they call Marine World these days is a den of thievery.

Edit: Wait a farm? The problem is that productive farm land is actually quite expensive.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Last time I was in Sacramento it was looking pretty roughed up by the economy. Drug deals on the sidewalk in broad daylight, people smoking pot where I was waiting for the light rail even though there were cops in the stations. That was a few years ago though, maybe it's picked up.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wars are done and I'm getting out of the military. I'll be moving to LA this august. Friends of mine are looking for an apartment in/near KTown and I'll be bankrolling them with my hoodrich GI Bill welfare money.

Anyone have words about that area? Also, what are you guy's thoughts on USC vs UCLA? Any thing that differentiates the two culturally or silly stereotypes about one or the other? Any recent transplants able to share an experience of culture shock when they first moved in?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

KirbyKhan posted:

Wars are done and I'm getting out of the military. I'll be moving to LA this august. Friends of mine are looking for an apartment in/near KTown and I'll be bankrolling them with my hoodrich GI Bill welfare money.

Anyone have words about that area? Also, what are you guy's thoughts on USC vs UCLA? Any thing that differentiates the two culturally or silly stereotypes about one or the other? Any recent transplants able to share an experience of culture shock when they first moved in?

I'll get it out of the way: You know what UCLA and USC students have in common? They both got into USC

But seriously, UCLA is better for just about every program other than performing arts and isn't in one of the shittiest parts of town. USC is generally full of rich overprivileged douche bags who alternate between superiority complexes and complete cluelessness. UCLA on the other hand is expensive as hell to live within 10 miles of and every restaurant and bar in the area outside of Westwood Village itself is full of shallow morons from Beverly Hills. Both schools are full to bursting with Chinese nationals subsidizing locals by paying full tuition.

As far as living in LA? I would check out the Los Angeles LAN thread for ideas of cool things in the area here's one bit of advice that's never failed me: ALWAYS get tacos from trucks that already have Mexican lined up. Even if you're not hungry, it's worth it.

I sound like a bitter heart but honestly, LA is a fun town full of cool people from everywhere. You may not make a lot of close friends super quickly (especially if you're in your 20's and aren't in showbiz) but you'll always have a story to tell. Things happen here and even if it wears on you the city sucks you in.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 12, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Pook Good Mook posted:

LA is a ... town full of ... people
Edited for truth!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
As a San Diegan that is in drives all over LA often for work take this advice when it comes to food:

"When in doubt, eat some tacos."

I have literally stumbled upon cool little nooks of LA just looking for tacos.

The downtown warehouse/garmet district has some cool spots. Near the old NABISCO building is a cool cafe smashed into an old railway spur.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Really though the break down these days between USC and UCLA is generally speaking USC has better professional programs and UCLA has better arts and sciences (although both schools have good programs across the board). USC is the more selective school these days but that's probably because they can play private school games to tweak admissions. Both schools are full of twerps and with tuition these days only rich kids go to either school. UCLA is in Westwood which is kind of nice and probably the least convenient place to travel to or from in the while United States (not joking at all). USC is south of downtown in a less nice neighborhood. It's probably not more dangerous than most of the east side, it's just not an interesting neighborhood like Koreatown or Hollywood.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So here's Jerry's logs at Celebrate UCI:

There's a Young Americans for Liberty booth saying "THE ONLY WAY TO GET REAL CHANGE IS THROUGH R:evil:UTION"
there's also a booth saying "SAVE CALIFORNIA, GOT LIBERTY? TIM DONNELLY FOR GOVERNOR" :laffo:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Reminder to people moving to LA: the LAPD is (in)famous for a reason. Your every interaction with them could be your last and its something you need to fully understand before you interact (carefully) with them.

https://www.tytnetwork.com/2014/04/11/cops-shoot-kill-daniel-tosh-staff-member/

quote:

“Monday night, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department mistakenly shot and killed a production assistant for Tosh.0 after mistaking the 30-year-old for a stabbing suspect.

According to the Los Angeles Times, John Winkler went to a neighbor’s apartment Monday night to try to help three people who were being held captive at knife point. Responding police shot Winkler when he ran from the apartment with one of the victims.

Winkler was shot once and died later that night at a local hospital.”

They killed the hero, and unloaded towards a house full of victims. (Three of them started firing, and only managed to put one bullet in the intended target at close range.)

This is not that uncommon (it just happens that this time the victim was attached to someone famous so its news). Like that old meme goes treat them like rabid animals and interact with them cautiously and at a distance, and hopefully not in the direction they are "aiming".

quote:

"It's just a really sad story," he told the Times, adding: "He basically went to help some neighbors and ends up getting shot."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sheriff-admits-mistakenly-killing-tv-producer-in-west-hollywood-20140410,0,1972682.story

quote:

The Sheriff’s Department’s initial news release the day after the shooting made no mention of the mistaken identity and said the two people shot had “aggressed the deputies.”

I know this will turn into a white-knight invasion from another subforum, so I will not post about it again, but this is actually something to think about if youre moving into the LA area. The police here are very dangerous and very much immune to repercussions. Interact with them when you need to, but never forget this.

edit:

From last year: Watering your lawn in a non-submissive way can get you killed (without warning) as well.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/04/local/la-me-ln-water-nozzle-shooting-20130404

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

hepscat posted:

Last time I was in Sacramento it was looking pretty roughed up by the economy. Drug deals on the sidewalk in broad daylight, people smoking pot where I was waiting for the light rail even though there were cops in the stations. That was a few years ago though, maybe it's picked up.

Government is back in a big way. Not sure that open pot smoking is a sign of decline? Sacramento cops (hell, most urban California cops) aren't that concerned with weed.
Also, where are you seeing drug deals? Every city has less good neighborhoods where you'd see that stuff.

• Locked thread