Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Ewar Woowar posted:

I wouldn’t be so sure at this point in time. Everything outside of the big four and the best 3 teams in France are comparable or lower than MLS. The lesser EPL teams are much worse than MLS, at least for young player development. Every MLS team looks to have runs off of midfield through balls whereas Sunderland didn’t really do that this season. The Bundesliga is a more technical league with more advanced in-game psychology. Serie A is actually less athletic than MLS but it requires very quick and sophisticated in-game decisions. Spain is a funny one because the top and middle are better than MLS but not so much on the bottom. Regardless, it’s closer to what works at the international level than the frantic out-of-control pace of most EPL teams.

lmao right thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Ewar Woowar posted:

I wouldn’t be so sure at this point in time. Everything outside of the big four and the best 3 teams in France are comparable or lower than MLS. The lesser EPL teams are much worse than MLS, at least for young player development. Every MLS team looks to have runs off of midfield through balls whereas Sunderland didn’t really do that this season. The Bundesliga is a more technical league with more advanced in-game psychology. Serie A is actually less athletic than MLS but it requires very quick and sophisticated in-game decisions. Spain is a funny one because the top and middle are better than MLS but not so much on the bottom. Regardless, it’s closer to what works at the international level than the frantic out-of-control pace of most EPL teams.

:love:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

belgend posted:

How are they this delusional about their domestic league

They're Americans. They think they're the best at everything.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Ewar Woowar posted:

Haha, MLS is loving poo poo, anyone can see that when they watch a game. It's sloppy and awful. That being a serious post is the best thing I've seen in this thread.

You have to figure those European league players who've made the switch with age get so loving frustrated in that league but just have to deal.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Dunban posted:

They're Americans. They think they're the best at everything.

Beyond just tactics, the USMNT also has this wild crazy thing now called legitimate world-class players. A stacked midfield is anchored by the #BasedHolyTrinity of Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan, while both the front and back lines are athletic, composed and straight up brolic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Now that United are well and truly out of the Champions League next season (unless Arsenal spectacularly collapse, and Everton lose both their big games against City and United, and drop points somewhere else, which is actually quite possible), can Rodgers table a cheeky bid for Danny Welbeck? His movement is superb, and he'd provide a different option to Coutinho in games, and can give Sturridge/Suarez a rest with Champions League football on the table for next season.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

Beyond just tactics, the USMNT also has this wild crazy thing now called legitimate world-class players. A stacked midfield is anchored by the #BasedHolyTrinity of Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan, while both the front and back lines are athletic, composed and straight up brolic.

loving :lol: never stop posting these

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Ewar Woowar posted:

:wtc:

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

It would be cool to stab this 19 year old, imo

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

greg can you change my name to "straight up brolic"

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

mynameisjohn posted:

I can and will, later on tonight

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

I can and will, later on tonight

Rename me Anthony Vanden Slorre

E: lol this isn't pwm

but seriously rename me

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Somebody should get renamed #BasedHolyTrinity imo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
*tears streaming down face* Thank You Based Holy Trinity

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Destroy My Sweater posted:

that's the problem.... you don't let Ronaldo decide anything. You get in his face and you piss him off. If I were Klinsmann... I would tell every right-sided player who will see time in our defensive third...."Listen.... Ronaldo has no idea who you are right now... if he doesn't remember your face, and know your name by the end of the game.... and hate you..... then you've failed today."

I like this one because basically every single time I've seen someone try to piss off Ronaldo or rough him up, he ends up scoring. Getting him all riled up is like the last thing you want to do. I remember the first game against Sweden in the knock-out qualifiers, seeing him pissed off at not getting decisions, at being tackled dangerously, and I couldn't help but think he'd go on to score a winner out of pure spite.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

It would be cool to stab this 19 year old, imo

You're going to love this Finn
http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...y-clint-dempsey

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

honorary degree in Haters Gonna Hate from U MAD

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

belgend posted:

It might possibly be the worst thing I've ever read.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

75% of his other articles are about MMA, why do they let these dudes write about football.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

mods, please: stacked midfield is anchored by the #BasedHolyTrinity of Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan, while both the front and back lines are athletic, composed and straight up brolic.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

75% of his other articles are about MMA, why do they let these dudes write about football.

It's all Sean Wheelock's fault.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

belgend posted:

Wow yeah I broke out laughing when I reached this part

it's just. so. bad.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also the comments on that article are a goldmine.

quote:

You must have missed the mark Donovan left on Everton during his loan stint there in early 2010.

Before his arrival, Everton was averaging less than 1.2 points per match and was mired at the bottom of the table. For the 10 games Donovan was in the lineup, Everton averaged 2 points per game and climbed into contention for a Europa League spot, which they only missed because 10-man Liverpool consistently put two defenders on Donovan on the flank during the Merseyside Derby that February and won it 1-0 on a set piece.

As for Dempsey, it was his goal that kept Fulham in the Premier League in 2008, his 7 goals that helped Fulham get a Europa League bid in 2009, and his golazo that knocked Juventus out of the Europa League in 2010. A bit more than "a great season", perhaps.

e: same guy

quote:

I was refuting your statement that Donovan "hasn't been to one of the bigger leagues and left his mark on a team." Donovan did exactly that. I fail to see how Everton's history of slow starts negates what his addition to the lineup accomplished.

Would Donovan walk into the starting XI of Man United? Probably not, no. But let's not pretend he's a piker because he's not Andres Iniesta. In the end, they both had famous match-winning goals in South Africa.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Yeah I was going to quote that poo poo too. What the hell is wrong with these people?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I mean, poo poo, I liked it when Simeon Jackson made it to the Premier League with Norwich, but you don't see me posting dissertations about how his DzSaBOTSh changed Norwich's play when he came on for three minutes at the end of a 9-0 defeat or what the gently caress ever. Also it turned out he was too poo poo for the PL anyway (still scored 3 goals a season though, take notes Jozy) but who gives a poo poo.

pdog
May 7, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Holy poo poo, is this guy comparing Iniesta's world cup winning goal to Donovan scoring against Ghana or whatever to get out of the groups?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pdog posted:

Holy poo poo, is this guy comparing Iniesta's world cup winning goal to Donovan scoring against Ghana or whatever to get out of the groups?

All injury time goals are exactly equivalent to each other, regardless of circumstances or opposition. :v:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm actually considering stopping reading this thread because it makes me irrationally angry.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

vyelkin posted:

Would Donovan walk into the starting XI of Man United? Probably not, no.

even these ridiculous creatures can't bring themselves to claim that perhaps their best ever outfield player is better than Tom Cleverley

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

I'm actually considering stopping reading this thread because it makes me irrationally angry.

Sounds like someone just got his honorary degree in Haters Gonna Hate from U MAD

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

mynameisjohn posted:

Štraightup Brolič , Hajduk Split legend

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Will USA win the world cup in the next fifty years?

quote:

Yes. Most likely...

The United States has an extremely large population. While it may not have the greatest number of points per person ratio in terms of Olympic medals, (or even the largest ratio of people who play soccer vs. those who do not) the large population supports the statement, especially given the fact that there are still 50 cups left, starting now. It only has to win one....

quote:

Yes the U.S. men's team win the World Cup in the next 50 years.

I think that the U.S. men's team could win the World cup in less than 50 years. Even though they have great competition in Brazil and Jamaica, I still think sooner or later we will win one. U.S. is known for having some of the best athletes in the world, but we have not conquer soccer yet, I think that motivation will make the soccer team more better and eager to win.

The poll came in 80% yes to 20% no.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Brazil. And Jamaica.

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
Those 22 seconds were the best we have had this season.

For those 22 seconds we were on top of the world, beating the reigning champions in their own stadium.

Those 22 seconds we were Manchester UNITED. There was no #MoyesOut or #MoyesIn, we were one.

For those 22 seconds Patrice had redeemed himself.

Only for it all to be washed away in 22 Bavarian seconds.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Hahahahaha, I think I'm gonna have to start using "22 Bavarian seconds" as a measure of time from now on

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

tetsman posted:

Brazil. And Jamaica.

A Neymar or a Mariappa

e: Mariappa by the way has the same amount of goals in the PL as Jozy

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Will USA win the world cup in the next fifty years?

quote:

still 50 cups left, starting now.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Maybe hes talking about the League of Nations

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

belgend posted:

A Neymar or a Mariappa