Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
If they really want to make Modern more accessible, they should just print a bunch of the premium dual lands at common. You can get away with keeping the reprints of the other modern staples at rare since only some of the decks will want 2-4 of them, but when every deck needs over a dozen expensive lands that don't exist anywhere close to meeting demand, thats a problem if you want more people to care about the format. Modern decks will still be pricey, but your mana base shouldn't cost this much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Northjayhawk posted:

If they really want to make Modern more accessible, they should just print a bunch of the premium dual lands at common. You can get away with keeping the reprints of the other modern staples at rare since only some of the decks will want 2-4 of them, but when every deck needs over a dozen expensive lands that don't exist anywhere close to meeting demand, thats a problem if you want more people to care about the format. Modern decks will still be pricey, but your mana base shouldn't cost this much.

Shocklands (which are the premium dual land in Modern) are $10 each. Fetches were also about that much while they were in Standard.

Yes, fetches need reprinting. But Modern will still be plenty accessible even if they're printed at Rare.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Shelved Mono Black Aggro for a week and played BG Graveyard for fun, went 2-2. Pity pack had a Kiora in it, so I made my money back and then some.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I enjoyed GTC only because a) Boros Best Guild was great and b) Dimir was terrible.

Entropic posted:

Did anyone ever actually pull of the Burning Vengeance draft deck?
I did in the first triple-INN draft I was in and it was incredible. Something like 3-4 BV, Snapcaster, Think Twices, and dumb blockers like Fortress Crab and Armored Skaab to gum up the ground while I pinged people to death with Geistflames and other flashback nonsense.

It was seriously one of the most fun draft decks to play ever.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Lol, orzhov was clearly best in GTC limited. I got up to around $125 in store credit off the back of orzhov. It was like a hard counter to boros, with removal and lifegain all mixed in to disrupt the aggro gameplan while at the same time getting through with evasive threats.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Northjayhawk posted:

If they really want to make Modern more accessible, they should just print a bunch of the premium dual lands at common.

They should absolutely not do this, at all.

Also, can people not edit their posts to reply to people after them? It's okay to make a new post! It makes the thread easier to read, especially when the reply is on a new page.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Literally The Worst posted:

They should absolutely not do this, at all.

Seeing as how I don't own any dual lands, I am 100% certain they should just reprint the old dual lands as commons in M15 because gently caress your value. Maybe not yours specifically, but someone's!

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Failboattootoot posted:

Seeing as how I don't own any dual lands, I am 100% certain they should just reprint the old dual lands as commons in M15 because gently caress your value. Maybe not yours specifically, but someone's!

Oh goody! This old chestnut!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Failboattootoot posted:

I can't imagine how printing dual lands that aren't gates at common would be bad for standard at all.

Also while we're at it let's reprint Force at uncommon.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I can't imagine how printing dual lands that aren't gates at common would be bad for standard at all.

It actually wouldn't be bad for standard because rarity doesn't actually matter for the health of standard.

It still might be a bad idea, but that's not why.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

Believe it or not, but this is a terrible idea!

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Can we get an Artist Masters? Sets which involve the best looking cards in the game, full art promo versions and special full art lands. :D In my dreams, perhaps.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Believe it or not, but this is a terrible idea!

No no but see who cares about its impact on anything, I just want my duals and I want them nowwwwwwwww.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

No no but see who cares about its impact on anything, I just want my duals and I want them nowwwwwwwww.

If you want dual lands nowwwwwww and for cheap, get good proxies instead? That's what I plan to do when I make my casual commander deck. :confused:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Samael posted:

If you want dual lands nowwwwwww and for cheap, get good proxies instead? That's what I plan to do when I make my casual commander deck. :confused:

I'm being facetious, as evidenced by the fact that I also think duals that are better than guildgates at common is the stupidest poo poo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You could probably do typed taplands at common, which would be meaningfully better than gates if the format also had Farseek or anything like that, and having five-colour green be a viable Limited archetype wouldn't be too bad. Though if you put all ten in one set opening packs would just feel bad, and you can't really put a ten-card cycle at uncommon without messing things up either.

Anything more potent than that pretty much has to be uncommon+. Scrylands could probably have been uncommon rather than rare, but they're not especially pricy anyway.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Jabor posted:

Though if you put all ten in one set opening packs would just feel bad, and you can't really put a ten-card cycle at uncommon without messing things up either.

This is the first thing I've heard since this started up (presumably for the millionth time) that sounds like an actual argument rather than just smug condescension. Is the issue just that a cycle of 10 commons that do nothing but mana fix leads to, well, Dragon's Maze? I'm a pretty low level magic player so I assume I have to be missing something that isn't my value :cry:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

This is the first thing I've heard since this started up (presumably for the millionth time) that sounds like an actual argument rather than just smug condescension. Is the issue just that a cycle of 10 commons that do nothing but mana fix leads to, well, Dragon's Maze? I'm a pretty low level magic player so I assume I have to be missing something that isn't my value :cry:

Perhaps it might do better in the basic land slot then? No one really uses those basic lands to a huge extent since most starter items come with a block of them and it wouldn't have to be every set that does that.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I enjoyed drafting Dimir in GTC a lot. Most people thought it was terrible because people tended to draft Dimir as a tempo deck with cards like Hands of Binding and those decks were pure garbage. Boros and Orzhov were the best guilds by quite a lot of course but a good Dimir control deck could easily win a draft. If you didn't get the right cards for the deck it was very bad(several people fighting over Dimir cards was an ugly thing) but cards like Death's Approach or Psychic Strike ended up going quite late and those cards were very good in the Dimir deck.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

HMS Boromir posted:

The reason why nobody bothers to explain their point is because this argument has been seen a dozen times in this thread alone.

Dual lands being rare leads to them being more expensive. This means there's cards that are both expensive and in high demand. The profits from this don't go to WotC, they go to the game stores, and without this money many game stores couldn't keep operating - which would mean there's nobody to host Magic events, which is bad for WotC.

In addition, just reprinting high-value things at common would crash the value of existing stocks in stores, and this would lead to nobody keeping a decent amount of individual cards in stock in fear of having their money go up in flames - and this would lead to the cards being more common but way harder to actually get.

And there will be people coming out of the woodwork to scream how WotC would sell so many more boosters this way. They wouldn't make enough money from selling boosters to make up for having to set up their own event / store network.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Ah. Well that makes sense. Thanks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HMS Boromir posted:

Essentially, yeah. With a 10-card cycle even in a large (or core) set, you're going to see on average one in every pack - and unlike the basic lands at the back, there'll be a lot of packs with multiples. If those cards are, for example, colour fixing that you only want in one particular combination, that means they'll go late every pack and you'll see a disproportionately large number of them instead of the useful-yet-filler commons that you want to round out the bottom of your draft deck. Think how many cluestones go around from a DGM pack to get some idea.

DGM has it particularly bad because you drafted it first, and so all this fixing is going around before people really know what fixing their deck is going to end up wanting (RGD honestly seems like it would a much better format than DGR), but even if you put in the first set (and draft that set last once the full block is released), that just makes the three or four months where people are drafting three packs of the first set even more awful.

--

The other upside to having rare lands is that the EV out of a booster is always fairly constant (at least while a set is in print) - having valuable dual lands at rare spreads out a good amount of that EV over cards that are always going to be fairly moderately-priced - without them, you run the risk of something like DGM, where almost all the EV is in a single card, and everything else is comparatively worthless, which is overall pretty awful for the secondary market.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I kind of feel like RTR would have been better if it had been one large set focusing on all ten guilds, then two small sets each focusing on five.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Failboattootoot posted:

While I don't understand the sentiment in the slightest, there are a lot of people who really like their cards having monetary value, or (like certain posters here :ssh:) are shop owners who do significant business in Magic singles. The collector aspect is really a big draw for some people, just because having something that other people don't makes you better than them because possessions are what is valuable in life. Or something.

Look, I don't get it in the slightest, but it's a real thing with a lot of emotion behind it. If you don't like the collector's aspect of Magic, just proxy. It's not too hard. Or play Netrunner; buying a pack gives you a full playset of every legal card in that expansion. The only real issue is if you really want to do competitive Magic, and in that case, it's just the price of going down that route.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
SCG starting with a mono black mirror match. Yawn.

Froghammer posted:

I kind of feel like RTR would have been better if it had been one large set focusing on all ten guilds, then two small sets each focusing on five.
How would that have changed the cards printed? Theoretically it shouldn't have changed anything since the entire block is designed roughly at the same time.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The on the back-up match, Esper Midrange player just bounced a Desecration Demon and then cast REAP INTELLECT for 2 to steal Demon and Bile Blight from the opponent's deck.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Boco_T posted:

The on the back-up match, Esper Midrange player just bounced a Desecration Demon and then cast REAP INTELLECT for 2 to steal Demon and Bile Blight from the opponent's deck.
I absolutely have to see this match now. It's on Twitch, right?

Shut up Cedric, Kruphix is...okay.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 12, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Random observation: aside from the typical business peoples, apparently there's some sort of volleyball tournament next to the GP Philadelphia hall, making for an extra unintentionally hilarious demographic of people milling around/waiting in line for food at Reading Terminal Market.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Yeah I'm surprised Cedric poo poo all over Kruphix when he loves Tron aka Lots o' Colorless Mana dot deck. The only way I see Kruphix not being good is if the format gets more aggro. If it stays this mix of grindy incremental advantages vs explosive starts he does a lot to give a UG/x mage an advantage the longer the game goes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Korak posted:

Yeah I'm surprised Cedric poo poo all over Kruphix when he loves Tron aka Lots o' Colorless Mana dot deck. The only way I see Kruphix not being good is if the format gets more aggro. If it stays this mix of grindy incremental advantages vs explosive starts he does a lot to give a UG/x mage an advantage the longer the game goes.

Bant control.
"EoT, Sphinx's Rev for 20. And keep all of those cards in my hand."

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Why in the world would you make a token and double-block instead of just exiling the Satyr?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
:lol:Naya Aggro guy could kill Tom Ross' madcap skilled firedrinker satyr but instead makes a 2/2 token and double blocks to lose two cards. Case of someone not reading their own cards?

I love Tom Ross' deck and when JOU hits I imagine he'll move to three colors.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

AegisP posted:

Why in the world would you make a token and double-block instead of just exiling the Satyr?
Because Taylor is a bad. There is actually no good defense for that play.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Are we expecting news from PAX anytime soon?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Rogue 7 posted:

Are we expecting news from PAX anytime soon?
1:30 EST although it may run later. We should get a ton of news I just don't know if they're streaming it?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Veyrall posted:

Because Taylor is a bad. There is actually no good defense for that play.

It damages the other player! I am not actually defending that play please dont hurt me

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I...don't know if I can support that Mono-Green deck. It's seems so dead to something, but I can't figure out what.

Besides Mono-Black.

Edit: Two 5/5 Mistcutters vs UW Devotion. Sounds good.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 12, 2014

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Korak posted:

1:30 EST although it may run later. We should get a ton of news I just don't know if they're streaming it?

Magic's Facebook just said it was streaming at 1:30 EST here: http://www.twitch.tv/pax2

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

the expression the dudes face really kills the art for me.

'Whaaaaa by golly I think I've done been amputated ahyuk!"

You know, it took until the picture was blown up like that to realize it was just a dude on his knees holding a stomach wound and not just an armless legless torso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
"Theros release was the biggest release ever."

"Venser is the player's planeswalker in DOTP 2015 and so he's hunting you."

14 game designers from other games are designing cards, PvZ's card:

Then shuffle your library? Wouldn't it have been easier to just put on bottom of the library? Interesting card regardless.

Looks really good.

Korak fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 12, 2014

• Locked thread