Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Don't forget there is also always the possibility of being involved in a trade (whether your team creates the proposal or not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Can anyone recommend any (preferably free and online) resources for learning about football strategy? I mean things like the strengths of and weaknesses of different formations, play design, pass routes, which lineman is blocking who ect.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Smart Football makes you smarter.

http://smartfootball.com/

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think it's Pat Kirwan who wrote "Take your eye off the ball" which was a really good book.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Yes and yes. I'm considering reading through it again this summer.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

There's not much on formations and specific plays, but "Finding the Winning Edge" by Bill Walsh is a great "how-to-coach-an-NFL-team" book that you can probably download somewhere.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Thanks all :) I'll probably grab some of these from amazon.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Cruel and Unusual posted:

There's not much on formations and specific plays, but "Finding the Winning Edge" by Bill Walsh is a great "how-to-coach-an-NFL-team" book that you can probably download somewhere.

Has anybody actually read this thing? I made it through like 10 pages and it felt more like a motivational book than a football book.

I was hardly expecting any X's and O's but all I got was the kind of poo poo a high-school coach yells out at halftime to his "troops".

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Trin Tragula posted:

Smart Football makes you smarter.

http://smartfootball.com/

As awesome as smart football is the issue is he kind of hits things at a higher plane of basic understanding. I'll read an article and I'll get frustrated because he name drops these concepts that you are already supposed to get while explaining everything further. I know some stuff, but I'm still too ignorant on basic strategy to go into the level he's operating on.

Is there a good beginner's/intermediate level resource? One that helps explain things In a broader sense to start?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Have you tried searching the concepts on the blog? There's a big old archive there and it's very possible he's gone over whatever it is in the past.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

GNU Order posted:

Has anybody actually read this thing? I made it through like 10 pages and it felt more like a motivational book than a football book.

I was hardly expecting any X's and O's but all I got was the kind of poo poo a high-school coach yells out at halftime to his "troops".

There's a lot of that pseudo-Art of War stuff in the beginning, but also a lot of good material on how a football organization is built, what a coach actually does, how practices are run, etc.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In overtime, if team A kicks onside and recovers, then scores a field goal, does team B get a possession, or is it over?

Edit: nevermind, google is my friend.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 12, 2014

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utf-X0qJT0

What was the flag on Kam Chance for?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utf-X0qJT0

What was the flag on Kam Chance for?

From that angle I would guess for rolling him over and throwing him to the ground rather than just making a clean tackle. If the ref thought he had the option for the straight tackle and instead deliberately chose to throw him to the ground when "in the grasp", it's roughing.

Edit: From the rulebook

"Rule 12, Player Conduct posted:

Article 13, Roughing the Passer
UNNECESSARY ACTS AGAINST PASSER
(2)
A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (1) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up or cradle the passer with the defensive player’s arms.

So I guess the ref felt the QB was in a defenseless position (in the act of throwing the pass) and the rusher was obliged to avoid throwing him down.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 12, 2014

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Could also be something about slamming the QB's head into the ground, although that isn't under his control with that kind of tackle.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This looks worryingly like what we in the trade call "a poo poo flag", and we hope that when we throw them, someone else is around to talk us off it. Trouble is, when you're the white hat, you don't do much, but when you do have something you're not going to get much help with it. Maybe the NFL's hilarious protection-of-passer rules cover that tackle somewhere, somehow, but it doesn't look good.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

If a player retires while still under contract, when is he allowed to come out of retirement? Does he have to pay a penalty? I'm thinking about Phil Costa, for instance.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If a player retires while still under contract, when is he allowed to come out of retirement? Does he have to pay a penalty? I'm thinking about Phil Costa, for instance.

I believe at any time they can come out of retirement, but if they're under contract at the time of retirement the team controls their rights even if the contract is essentially void.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is there a place to download decent scouting reports going back more than a few years, or does anyone have access to a good repository and is willing to "co-author" an analysis? Plan is to do a text analysis and correlate it to NFL outcomes, and I think it will mostly be "gee whiz" stuff more than a useful tool.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

pangstrom posted:

Is there a place to download decent scouting reports going back more than a few years, or does anyone have access to a good repository and is willing to "co-author" an analysis? Plan is to do a text analysis and correlate it to NFL outcomes, and I think it will mostly be "gee whiz" stuff more than a useful tool.

I know I commented in the draft thread but just in case you (or anyone else) missed it, the analysis you did was really awesome, and I enjoyed reading it. I'm hopeful you get this next project going soon because it'd make for some very interesting off season football talk as well. Anyone that can help you, should, for the betterment of my entertainment options this summer. Thanks.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

KettleWL posted:

I know I commented in the draft thread but just in case you (or anyone else) missed it, the analysis you did was really awesome, and I enjoyed reading it. I'm hopeful you get this next project going soon because it'd make for some very interesting off season football talk as well. Anyone that can help you, should, for the betterment of my entertainment options this summer. Thanks.
Thanks! I will let you know when I can chain a few hours together and get part 2 done.

I clumsily tweeted part 1, put it on facebook and reddit, got a (brief) mention in a 538 post, and all that amounted to like 100 views. SA added another 100 views all on its own. Racking up views isn't really the goal (thankfully because 100+100=200=not much!) but still thanks goons.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

BlindSite posted:

I believe at any time they can come out of retirement, but if they're under contract at the time of retirement the team controls their rights even if the contract is essentially void.

So, they'll have rights to the player, but he isn't under contract? So like a draft pick?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

So, they'll have rights to the player, but he isn't under contract? So like a draft pick?

I believe that's what happened with Ricky Williams.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Sweet, thanks.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Why is the draft only 7 rounds if every team scrambles around signing a grip of UDFAs every year

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

indigi posted:

Why is the draft only 7 rounds if every team scrambles around signing a grip of UDFAs every year

The main purpose of the draft is to keep the league competitive - the weakest teams get the first shot at the best talent. After seven rounds, there isn't enough differentiation in talent any more to make much of a difference, so formally drafting players isn't worth the effort. Letting teams scramble and sign whomever they want from then on is more efficient (and ultimately cheaper, the real reason).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

indigi posted:

It used to be even more rounds. Do you really want the media machine to drag this poo poo out for even more days? At least with the UDFAs they get the signings done in ~24 hours and move on already.

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009
Is there some correlation between which New York football team someone follows and which New York basketball team they follow?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chifley posted:

Is there some correlation between which New York football team someone follows and which New York basketball team they follow?

It's usually Giants/Knicks/Yankees and Jets/Mets/Nets

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Except no one roots for the Nets

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I don't follow basketball or baseball so I might be making a hell of an assumption, but to me that reads as bandwagoner vs. Non-bandwagoner.

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009
Are the Giants as far ahead of the Jets in popularity as the Yankees and Knicks are of the Mets and Nets respectively?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's bandwagoners all the way down. Yankees, Knicks, and Rangers have dominant fan leads over the other respective city teams. Giants/Jets is probably 55/45 in the Giants favor due to recent success with a little family lineage sprinkled in.

I don't know too many people where those fandoms line up though. I'm a Jets/Knicks fan. A buddy is Yankees/Giants/Islanders.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I was going to respond and then realized it's more of a Febreeze "10 types of NY fans" categories situation than something you can parameterize, and someone else could do a better job of the categories than I could. But yeah I think as a first pass beyond the geography thing you have more Yankees/Giants/Knicks fans than M/J/Nets fans, and the latter (proportionally at least) have more hardcore fans in baseball and football.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's an Islanders fan?

Is he also Bigfoot? Because that's how rare those are.

Adrenalist
Jul 8, 2009
Why was the Wildcat so effective?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Adrenalist posted:

Why was the Wildcat so effective?

NFL teams weren't prepared for it and a direct snap creates a mismatch in favor of the offense (10 blockers vs. 11 defenders means that the ballcarrier only has to beat one guy to get space in theory and that guy is often reading and diagnosing the play as it happens as opposed to taking the most efficient route to the ball carrier).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is the Pro Football Hall of Fame worth doing? I'm going to visit my brother on a long weekend later this summer and Canton's on the way. Is it actually neat or does it fall into "oh so...that was not worth $23" territory? Bear in mind that I am a dork and love museums.

Also, $23 geez, but I guess it's like $25 to go to the top of 30 Rock and be like "ok so that's what NYC looks like from very high up."

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I dont know poo poo about the PF HoF, but I can tell you the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame sure as poo poo isn't worth it. But that isn't anywhere close to answering your question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KettleWL posted:

I dont know poo poo about the PF HoF, but I can tell you the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame sure as poo poo isn't worth it. But that isn't anywhere close to answering your question.

Actually, I'm staying in Cleveland like...six blocks from there, so that will probably keep me from doing that. It's not something I'd thought of doing, but the temptation would be there with it being so close to the hotel.

• Locked thread