Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wade Wilson posted:

Is that a ghost Ben Franklin?

Yeah, Deadpool and the ghost of Ben Franklin are total bros.

Pierson posted:

Speaking as someone who stopped reading Deadpool when he was still a super-whacky fourth wall-breaking comedy jackass (I think the last thing I read even involving him was Agent X) where do I start this whole "Deadpool becomes a cool guy and cool things happen to him" storyline? Because it sounds kickin' rad.

The beginning of the latest volume. The first arc is universally not very well-liked, but it introduces his supporting cast and everything that follows is fantastic. After reading #25, check out the 13-part digital series Deadpool: the Gauntlet by the same writing team (Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan), which explains how Deadpool met his wife.

He also goes through some traumatic poo poo during the run, but it's one of the all-time best Deadpool storylines and shouldn't be missed. If you want to just skip to the happy times, just read the Gauntlet and go straight to #27.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I for one loved the first arc. But I loved all the rest of this volume, too.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I liked the first arc, but every single thing afterwards just blew that arc out of the water. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is easily one of the finer comics of last year.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Pierson posted:

Speaking as someone who stopped reading Deadpool when he was still a super-whacky fourth wall-breaking comedy jackass (I think the last thing I read even involving him was Agent X) where do I start this whole "Deadpool becomes a cool guy and cool things happen to him" storyline? Because it sounds kickin' rad.

Also check out Cable & Deadpool. Pretty good, though it becomes more or less a Deadpool single title toward the end of the run.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Basically, bad Deadpool stories happen when a writer forgets that comedy and tragedy are two sides of the same coin. If all you see are random panels on Tumblr, it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking the character is only good for lolmonkeycheese gag stories. But the most effective part of the character, to me, is that despite how silly and hosed-up he is, he still tries, on some level, to do the right thing. It's why moments like him swearing not to let Cable down, or letting that girl die finally during this current run, or not taking Archangel's money during X-Force and condemning them for murdering a child works.

Not to mention, you can only have those moments if Wade cares about other people, which is why the addition of the white caption boxes as a 'thing' are symbolic of missing the point. They only exist to give him someone to exposit and quip to, without having to put effort into building a relationship with another character, or indeed, characterise another person who might give a crap about Deadpool. It's shorthand for "stories are hard, but wasn't it funny when Wade said chimmichanga, lol?!"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Too much happiness in this thread so here's Starlight #01

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 12, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wow, I just looked that up and saw that it was written by Mark Millar. I had no idea he was capable of anything resembling subtlety and emotion.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hakkesshu posted:

Wow, I just looked that up and saw that it was written by Mark Millar. I had no idea he was capable of anything resembling subtlety and emotion.

Haha, I told my friend the same thing after reading his copy.

Then I read the newest issue of Kick-rear end...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hakkesshu posted:

I had to google that myself just because I refused to believe it.

Where the gently caress was this Mark Millar all this time? Is there another page not posted where he shouts "YOU'RE LIKE THE CANCER THAT KILLED MY WIFE AND I'M GOING TO REMOVE YOU FROM THIS CITY BEFORE YOU CAN KILL MORE PEOPLE" at a criminal or something? I'm not able to handle him showing character emotion not wrapped in a big shouty fist fight.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I had to google that myself just because I refused to believe it.

Where the gently caress was this Mark Millar all this time? Is there another page not posted where he shouts "YOU'RE LIKE THE CANCER THAT KILLED MY WIFE AND I'M GOING TO REMOVE YOU FROM THIS CITY BEFORE YOU CAN KILL MORE PEOPLE" at a criminal or something? I'm not able to handle him showing character emotion not wrapped in a big shouty fist fight.

"Look out Starlight! Her uterus is booby trapped!"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

To be honest I only got Starlight because Parlov was doing art and there's never enough Parlov art but Millar has been restrained with his shock value. That could easily change (and probably will) but so far it's a nice homage to old sci-fi serials with Parlov channeling Mobius in places.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

Too much happiness in this thread so here's Starlight #01

No matter how many times I read that last page, I keep seeing it as, "We tried to get her chemo to treat it, but we were $50 short."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gavok posted:

No matter how many times I read that last page, I keep seeing it as, "We tried to get her chemo to treat it, but we were $50 short."

I am pretty sure that is the intended message.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Waterhaul posted:

To be honest I only got Starlight because Parlov was doing art and there's never enough Parlov art but Millar has been restrained with his shock value. That could easily change (and probably will) but so far it's a nice homage to old sci-fi serials with Parlov channeling Mobius in places.

It's easier to read Millar if you think of him as the Quentin Tarantino of comics. Kill Bill, Death Proof, Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained are all homages to various types of schlock movie; Supercrooks, Starlight, The Secret Service and Superior are also homages. That's why Nemesis and to a lesser extent Kick-rear end are his weakest works - they start from a high concept that has no limits to its absurdity other than those imposed by the writer. Millar isn't good at that.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Gavok posted:

I more read it as impulsive spending was a regular thing for people living more in the 'now', and as such had no savings when needed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WAR FOOT posted:

I more read it as impulsive spending was a regular thing for people living more in the 'now', and as such had no savings when needed.

If they're in America savings of almost any normal amount still wouldn't be enough to pay for cancer poo poo. They either have insurance and are partially hosed, or don't and she killed herself.

Besides, if you read that contextually like a normal person you see that the money wasn't the forteller, her believing that everything was perfect was. The money was just an incidental to demonstrate her kindness and compassion and connection to other people - her oneness with life.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 13, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrPaper posted:

And with Marvel ramping up Thanos for the movies, it's probably best to move DP on.

What does this have to do with Deadpool?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Rhyno posted:

What does this have to do with Deadpool?

Deadpool died briefly and saw Death. He fell in love with Death. For whatever reason, Death either liked him back or gave that impression because she never cared for Thanos and he was obsessed with her. Thanos was pissed off and has tried to fix this problem on a few occasions, including making Wilson immortal.

So yeah, Thanos sees Deadpool as a romantic rival, and it's probably why Deadpool fell for a queen vampire/ruler of the undead.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 14, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Don't you mean Wilson?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Don't you mean Wilson?

J.H. Williams III is immortal. You didn't know?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This is from Ted McKeever's Perpetual Mourning from Batman: Black and White Vol. #1. It's one of my favorite Batman comic stories because it dials the character back to being a fallible human being dealing with simple street crime. Batman so often loses any shred of humanity in comics either by being a grim and maladjusted brooder or by having defacto superpowers in the "I've thought 10 steps ahead of everyone" Morrison BatGod sense. In McKeever's hands, a lot of the depictions of Batman in comics seem so shallow by comparison. Anyway, if you haven't read the story, the gist is that Batman is performing an autopsy on a woman who was killed in a mugging. Here's my favorite page from it:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Lose #2, I think.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
:stare: What part of that is touching and inspiring?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Things can be touching without being inspiring. It doesn't hurt to branch out a little from pictures of superman crying.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 2, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Still, I would have posted that in the horror thread, personally.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Things can be touching without being inspiring. It doesn't hurt to branch out a little from pictures of superman crying.

Hey, guys, I just saw this really moving image. It makes the feels.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Kind of dilutes the topic though?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Like the funny/badass/whatever other panel threads we have people could spend more time contributing rather than picking at whether something is really relevant to the thread.

Everyone is going to have different tastes and opinions on what exactly is covered under the topic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Hey, guys, I just saw this really moving image. It makes the feels.

Oh come on, have you not seen all the dead dog comics? This has been the "Touching/anything that doesn't fit into the other threads Panels" thread for a while now.

Anyway, here's something I've been meaning to post but I'm afraid it'll be too confusing out of context of the rest of the issue so I'm gonna have to do a lot of explaining and it still might not make any sense. Batman/Superman #4: A very young, pre-Justice-League #1 Batman and Superman have been sucked over to Earth 2. Earth 2's a lot like pre-reboot DC because Clark and Lois are married and the Kents are alive and everybody seems happier (also Batman and Catwoman are married). They promptly meet up with their counterparts and get pulled into a showdown involving some mysterious crystal that's being held by the military that amplifies power and may be the key to defeating Darkseid (who they haven't fought yet, remember, it's in the past). Anyway, while fighting said military, Catwoman and Lois are flying around in the Bat-jet but lose a wing and start going down. Annnd Superman-2 gets blasted into space.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
From Transformers MTMTE issue 16, answering the question: Can robots love?

Something truly horrible just happened that killed "rewind", the tiny robot at the end. This is a truly needless death, the Transformers are not at war and these particular robots are just off in space not involving themselves with anyone. And it turns out Rewind was married to Chromedome, the robot watching this message. This was Rewind's last message to Chromedome.

What "injecting" means: Chromedome can use the needles in his fingers to pull an Inception and alter your memories. And he's about to delete his own memories of Rewind instead of living with the loss of his loved one - and this isn't the first time he's done that, either.

Middle page: Drift took the blame for the horrible thing that happened. It wasn't his fault at all but he felt that it was something he needed to take the blame for.

Came across these pages again and I felt like they needed to be shared somewhere. I suppose they might mean a little more if you've read the comic and can relate to robots who don't have mouths, but I personally think this is still a sad and sweet gut-punch regardless...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

James Roberts really is the writer the Transformers fandom does not deserve. Here's some of the preceding pages to establish a bit more context.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

The rest here.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Context: Scrroge McDuck has been living in Duckburg for 50 years. The city holds a contest in which the person who fulfills his greatest wish get a million dollars. It turns out that the contest secretly is a plot by a coalition of his greatest foes, though - after defeating them, an angry and disgruntled Scrooge retreats to the Money Bin.

5 hours late edit: Oops, forgot the source! Don Rosa - A Little Something Special (1997)

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 14, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Injustice: Year Two #13. Black Canary visited the abandoned Arrow Cave (abandoned due to Superman having killed Ollie), to find Harley squatting there. The two fought until Canary called for time out and started puking into a bucket. Harley realized that Canary was pregnant and started laughing at the absurdity of a superhero having morning sickness.

I thought this was a really on-point take on the Harley/Joker relationship without having to resort to physical violence.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
There's more feeling and emotion there than 99 percent of the New 52.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Aww, jeez. Harl. :(

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
Some pages from Thor: God of Thunder #24. The Asgardians have decided to leave Earth after Broxton was wrecked in the last arc.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm betting the little girl called Thor's room, and now Thor has to crash on the couch :3:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
And then that tower eventually turned into the main location in the Dredd film.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's weird that the Injustice comic seems to take the most hamfisted parts of the game (the normal song-and-dance of Harley and the Joker) and pull something genuinely great out of them (having Ollie and Dinah be a big part of her redemption is inspired), and turn the things you'd think had potential into idiocy (Damien 'killing' Nightwing)