Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

ulmont posted:

That doesn't make sense here though; if I was going to get switched out because the top level title changed, it should have happened when I got promoted to the King level revolt title.

e: also, are you sure? I thought some of the laws (primo, for instance) had authority requirements and didn't get canceled if authority changed?

That's a good point... Dunno why that would be. But again I would stress the intention is and has always been to reset you away from succession laws you shouldn't have access to, so even if the enforcement is a little janky, the overall impact is almost certainly intended :)

And yeah I meant purely cultural/religious requirements, should've said. And not for the gender law (last I checked you can switch to Basque for Absolute Cognatic then out of Basque and it's fine). If you console switch to Primo as an unreformed pagan it'll always reset on succession, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Does anyone else keep getting a CTD when trying to export to EU4? It worked for me once, but now it keeps crashing.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Man, starting in India took a long time. I chose a duke in Delhi and quite easily got my independence, but my first few rulers all died before I could get the 500 karma for a subjugation CB. When I finally DID get one off, it was with a ruler who inherited at 15 and is now nearing 90. And my brilliant plan to marry my female heir matrilineally to the king of, eh, the green blob to the east (who was also set to inherit the other huge kingdom in southern India) failed when my ruler finally knocked out a son at 83 years of age, making him my next heir. So over the centuries, I've been able to holy war-conquer all of Persia, but I only have a grand total of one kingdom title in India so far. And I've got several thousands of karma points that're just doing nothing.

Tl;dr: the Hindu subjugation CB should be useable multiple times per ruler, cost less karma, or there should be better ways than the bi-yearly feast, the trait and random events to get a decent amount of karma together.

And tiger hunts are useless after the first decade of the game, which is a shame because tigers.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've noticed that whenever I'm using the Tengri holy order the AI can't resist attacking them, no matter that they're attacking 2k men into 5k on a mountain across a river. They just keep sending guys running into them.
I wonder if it is some weird quirk in the AI evaluating the army composition and seeing light cavalry and horse archers and just going "well, I have these heavy guys and I can crush them".

Also, My Hungary/Carpathia game might have ended the Shia revolt prematurely. It spawned right in the middle of Mesopotamia which I had seiged down in my war with the Abassids and since the Shia spawned like 80k men I hurriedly peaced out and grabbed all the territory they were in and trying to siege sub-holdings of. That caused them to disappear and I can't seem to find them anywhere else.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ulmont posted:

That doesn't make sense here though; if I was going to get switched out because the top level title changed, it should have happened when I got promoted to the King level revolt title.

I'm not sure whether the game auto-switches, but I think the mechanic here is that when you get a title (instead of creating a new one), it keeps its existing succession law - and when you get a kingdom when you used to be a duke, its existing succession law overrides your existing succession law.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Perchance does he have the inbred trait?

Caik posted:

Well, you could just start as the Saffarid and instantly switch to Zoroastrian with the decision. You only need 1000 piety.

Yes I've tried that and must admit it's quite fun I just personally don't see it as a "true" Zoro campaign. I've managed to pull it off as Karen and got a beastly Persian empire to show for it but still haven't managed to pull it off as Gilan.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ulmont posted:

e: also, are you sure? I thought some of the laws (primo, for instance) had authority requirements and didn't get canceled if authority changed?

Sounds to me like you got screwed by the title changes involved by revolts. When you create a new title, it copies over your old succession law, and presumably in the code to do that is a check to see if you're eligible for those succession laws. Under the old system, your plan would have worked, since you're maintaining a single title, so the game never thinks to check if anything is weird, but the new system introduces places for the game to check for shenanigans.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
A sultan took over part of England and now the counties are no longer called counties, is there a way for me to convert them back to counties after I take them over?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Azuth0667 posted:

A sultan took over part of England and now the counties are no longer called counties, is there a way for me to convert them back to counties after I take them over?

They should automatically, although you may need to save and reload. I once had a Sultanate stuck as a Kingdom until I did that due to culture switching inheritance fuckery.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Spakstik posted:

Any tips for surviving the early game as Semien? Staying independent usually ends with one or more of my neighbors stomping my guts in after a year or two, and holy wars are out of the question for the same reason. Swearing fealty to a bigger kingdom seems to result in my character getting converted in short order, which kind of defeats the purpose of playing Semien. I'm pretty bad at playing tiny non-Irish rulers, basically.

Whenever I play with a small nation I just save up everything. Every scrap of money, usually that allows me to mercenary gamble my way out of the initial wars.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Bishop Rodan posted:

Does anyone else keep getting a CTD when trying to export to EU4? It worked for me once, but now it keeps crashing.

The converter hasn't been updated for RoI yet.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Alikchi posted:

Huh, seriously? I thought it would have been included with the patch. That would certainly explain it.

Is there an ETA on when it will be?

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
My guess would be the next .x update

They've mostly been bug crunching

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DStecks posted:

Under the old system, your plan would have worked, since you're maintaining a single title, so the game never thinks to check if anything is weird, but the new system introduces places for the game to check for shenanigans.

I think Allyn is right; the game seems to check on each succession to see if the succession law is viable as well. So what I need to make this work is to be able to start with a Celtic capital, pop Celtic culture and fire Tanistry after 10 years of rule, then switch back to an Altaic capital and pop back to Altaic culture for the Tribal Invasions.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Couple minor text omissions I spotted last night. Latest patch. Figured I might as well post them for the dev here :shrug:

Bishop nomination description

Embargo CB description

Piety placeholder in "Request Money" description

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ulmont posted:

So what I need to make this work is to be able to start with a Celtic capital, pop Celtic culture and fire Tanistry after 10 years of rule, then switch back to an Altaic capital and pop back to Altaic culture for the Tribal Invasions.

The next wrinkle: Temporary Revolt titles make it impossible to change succession law as long as any of your vassals has a revolt going...and you can't join that revolt to fix it.

From my vassals list:

Leading to:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Alikchi posted:

I haven't tried it with the RoI fix patch, but I exported a game with the original RoI launch version, and even though there were a few bugs (Jainism was missing an icon, but it still had a localization string and bonuses) it still worked and was playable in EU4.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ulmont posted:

The next wrinkle: Temporary Revolt titles make it impossible to change succession law as long as any of your vassals has a revolt going...and you can't join that revolt to fix it.

From my vassals list:

Leading to:

Yeah its always been like that. Even before the unified revolts rebelling vassals of vassals are always your vassals, which is good other wise they'ld be picked off even with the temporary titles.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Edit: drat phone

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 12, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Just got RoI the other day, been having a blast. Haven't had any revolt bugs, or tiger hunt bugs, but when I sacrifice a woman to Kali the event uses male pronouns. Though when educating my current ruler I stupidly got him the kind trait and now he can't sacrifice anyone.

Is there any reason why I can't use my current guru as a chaplain? I've been able to use previous gurus no problem, but this one doesn't show up in the list at all. He has a religious education and is the correct religion. I can't remember if he's a Brahmin or not, could it be a caste issue?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rincewind posted:

I haven't tried it with the RoI fix patch, but I exported a game with the original RoI launch version, and even though there were a few bugs (Jainism was missing an icon, but it still had a localization string and bonuses) it still worked and was playable in EU4.

Are you sure of that? I ended up with no noticeable bonus for Jainism (unless +1 tolerance of true faith was supposed to be it), and onlly generic national ideas for India.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DStecks posted:

Sounds to me like you got screwed by the title changes involved by revolts. When you create a new title, it copies over your old succession law, and presumably in the code to do that is a check to see if you're eligible for those succession laws. Under the old system, your plan would have worked, since you're maintaining a single title, so the game never thinks to check if anything is weird, but the new system introduces places for the game to check for shenanigans.

Yeah, that's probably what's going on. Because the culture restriction for Tanistry is in the potential stanza instead of the allow stanza, it was revoked as soon as the title check happened.

Are there any Mongol cultured provinces or countries at game start? You could go Mongol for Ultimogeniture and also have access to the Tribal Invasion CB.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

DStecks posted:

As far as I am aware, everybody can forge claims on anything they want. It's just that it feels more prominent with Catholics because they're more dependent on it.
There are some restrictions: http://pastebin.com/z8KvErVp
You can't fabricate claims on titles your chancellor has a claim on, your chancellor's titles and your chancellor's liege's titles, and as a Catholic you can't fabricate claims on titles of your religious head, the Pope, but you can fabricate claims on the pope's and your chancellor's vassal's titles.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 12, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nightblade posted:

There are some restrictions: http://pastebin.com/z8KvErVp
You can't fabricate claims on titles your chancellor has a claim on, your chancellor's titles and your chancellor's liege's titles, and as a Catholic you can't fabricate claims on titles of your religious head, the Pope, but you can fabricate claims on the pope's and your chancellor's vassal's titles.

Wait, what? Is it even possible to have a chancellor who's not either in your court or a direct vassal?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DStecks posted:

Wait, what? Is it even possible to have a chancellor who's not either in your court or a direct vassal?

Well It would be weird if you got a claim on your own castle.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rumda posted:

It had occured to me that it might simply be a sanity check so that you don't get claims on your own titles, but why not then simply code it so that you can't get claims on your own titles? It would be a hell of a lot safer to do that, instead of depending on an assumption about how the game works. That's how bugs happen.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

DStecks posted:

I don't think so. It confused me too, but

Rumda posted:

now I get it. :ughh:

DStecks posted:

It had occured to me that it might simply be a sanity check so that you don't get claims on your own titles, but why not then simply code it so that you can't get claims on your own titles? It would be a hell of a lot safer to do that, instead of depending on an assumption about how the game works. That's how bugs happen.

It's an event that happens to the chancellor, so that may be the only way to code it? I'm not a modder, I can barely understand the code for the event, so I don't know.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Nitevision posted:

Couple minor text omissions I spotted last night. Latest patch. Figured I might as well post them for the dev here :shrug:

Thanks!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

You know I haven't thanked you enough for basically being the go between for us and the rest of paradox, I know Johnan Podcat, and Wiz also post but your there in each thread it really says a lot about PDS as a company that their devs are so enthused with their games.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

OddObserver posted:

Are you sure of that? I ended up with no noticeable bonus for Jainism (unless +1 tolerance of true faith was supposed to be it), and onlly generic national ideas for India.

That was supposed to be it-- it wasn't the most unique or flavorful bonus, but that and the fact that it had a localization meant that Jainism was defined somewhere in the converter.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Rumda posted:

You know I haven't thanked you enough for basically being the go between for us and the rest of paradox, I know Johnan Podcat, and Wiz also post but your there in each thread it really says a lot about PDS as a company that their devs are so enthused with their games.

It's entirely selfish. I really like playing the games we make, so it's in my own best interests to get bugs fixed :)

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
The tool-tip for feudal tax and city tax have been missing since the release of RoI:

It's showing the demesne tool-tip instead, but the one for church tax works.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

1stGear posted:

Oh my god how do I start what do I do ahhhhhhhh

That's a normal reaction to first seeing that map. The general recommendation is to start in Ireland as it serves as an unofficial “Tutorial Island” for the game. I personally suggest starting as Dublin. As a short-term goal, form the Duchies of Meath and Leinster and conquer the other province. From there, aim towards forming the Kingdom of Ireland. Once you can do that, you have a solid grasp of CK2's basic mechanics.

So I followed this advice on my first playthrough and managed to form the Kingdom of Ireland with all the counties except Ulster. I was just about to pursue a fabricated claim on Ulster when the Aztecs showed up with their 200k-strong army and took over all of Europe. I managed to take back the kingdom as an Aztec vassal after being demoted the Duke of Meath but then all my vassals hated me and foisted Seniority succession on me and now all my heirs have poo poo stats and everyone in the kingdom hates me and welp :(

What's a good second thing to try? Was thinking a merchant republic. Also is there a way to not get rolled by the Aztecs? Building up to that many soldiers seems to be nigh impossible. Even the Holy Roman Empire could only muster like 40k.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Hrm. Did you try offering vassalization? Unless they hate you counts will usually accept vassalization from kings. This can help speed up the process from forging claims slowly.

As for the aztecs, disable the DLC. I'm not in the "it's bad" camp, it serves a purpose (gives the western side of the map an invasion to fear since the mongols will almost never get that far) but there's really no effective way to deal with it other than "get big enough that you can defeat them" (Which requires getting VERY big).

As for what to play next...do you have Sword of Islam or The Old Gods? Try a Muslim or a Pagan, theyre suitably different from Christians that there's a lot to see.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Me and a few other guys with lots of experience doing EUIV multiplayer tried CK2 multiplayer with the current patch and found it still broken. Any news of fixes for this?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
If anyone's looking for a good intro to India, 1066 Solkani (Gujarat) is pretty interesting. You've got an isolated Shia neighbor who, if you can survive the inevitable early holy war (which isnt hard, your neighbors are likely to jump in to assist), gives you some easy expansion options. Park your chancellor on the Seljuks to keep on good terms and they'll be too distracted with poo poo in the west to hassle you.

You also have a kind of weird situation where you hold a dukedom to the east, but all of the holdings underneath are controlled by someone else. I gave it away to a vassal so I could hold onto my duchies with actual holdings, but I guess you could use it as another early expansion avenue.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 13, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Sri Lanka is also a pretty good safe choice. You only have one real neighbor (Connected by the land bridge) that reduces chances of random invasion, by the same token that neighbor is small enough that you can take them on pretty easily.

Sulla
May 10, 2008
Stuff like this is why I would never in a million years ironman this game.

Is there any way to mod this into something more reasonable? Not this specific Host, that's gonna be done away with through the console because screw that, but for future games in general?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

If you kill the leader it disbands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
What's your total levy size? That seems pretty large for an adventure if your standing army is your whole force.

• Locked thread