Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Brand new and already on the flywheel, I had a hold on the pressure plate as I was taking bolts out and it slipped by, landing right on the edge of a leg on the engine hoist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Namechange to Slim Slippins.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SyHopeful posted:

Namechange to Slim Slippins.

Clutch slippins.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Beach Bum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVmJ-bW7IpM

Browsing youtube I saw the preview and knew that magnificence awaited :allears:
So what happened here? Too much NOS snuffed out the combustion?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The N2O made it run super lean and probably melted half the engine.

e: Happy now?

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 13, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Collateral Damage posted:

The NOS made it run super lean and probably melted half the engine.

So you're saying it would work with a diesel? :haw: Volunteers anyone ?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Diesels can use NOS just as petrol engines, with some major differences.

To begin with you can't just inject diesel and NOS into the intake as you would in a petrol engine. The injected fuel would ignite far too early in the compression stroke, way before it should. Your engine will either basically stop dead or more likely break something expensive. Adding just NOS without extra fuel just wastes the nitrous since there isn't any extra fuel available for it to oxidize/burn, so it just gets thrown out of the exhaust. Doing this in a petrol engine would cause it to run lean, doing this in a diesel engine does nothing (besides wasting your precious nitrous).

What you can do is either

1) Add propane together with the nitrous. Propane has a higher octane rating than diesel and will not ignite too early. This method is quite common and tried and tested.

2) Make the regular fuel system run rich as you inject the nitrous. All the idiots "rolling coal" could probably get quite the extra power by adding NOS, since black exhaust from a diesel is from running rich.

Also of note is that if you add a lot of nitrous you still need to retard the timing as you do with a petrol engine, the difference being of course that timing in a diesel is adjusted by changing the injection timing (since injection = ignition in a diesel).

I'm sure that was a joke and I simply sperged off for no reason, but whatever. The reason I know this is that my friends brother feels that 305hp/620Nm on the rear wheels on his BMW 335D isn't enough, and when we meet he's always eager to talk about his car and his plans for it with me.

vvv --- Well, I'd prefer if they'd just pipe the exhaust into the cabin, thereby solving the problem in another way, but if they added NOS they wouldn't be "rolling coal" because all that extra fuel (that comes out as black smoke) would be burned instead, giving MORE POWA and less soot.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 13, 2014

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

2) Make the regular fuel system run rich as you inject the nitrous. All the idiots "rolling coal" could probably get quite the extra power by adding NOS, since black exhaust from a diesel is from running rich.

There's a special circle of hell for you if you're encouraging "rolling coal" dicks to add NOS. Even for just suggesting it as something they might benefit from.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 13, 2014

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slavvy posted:

It's a really common design on older RWD vehicles in general, and on trucks/vans still. Every hilux and landcruiser I've seen has had a mechanically driven fan on the front of the water pump, as did BMW's until they went to a fully electric design.

In the early nineties lexus had a setup where the radiator fan was driven by a small belt linked to a hydraulic motive unit. Power steering lines ran to the unit and the hydraulic pressure spun an impeller linked to the pulley which turned the belt and spun the fan. Some cars had the impeller as part of the fan housing directly driving the fan.

Toyota is at least thoughtful enough to run twin V belts on the fan/water pump combo on the hilux/landcruisers. Partly I suspect because it needs them for power transfer, partly for redundancy.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

That poor LNF. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Captain Postal posted:

There's a special circle of hell for you if you're encouraging "rolling coal" dicks to add NOS. Even for just suggesting it as something they might benefit from.

It will just get them off the street faster. Let em try, they are destroying their engines anyways.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Diesels can use NOS just as petrol engines, with some major differences.

To begin with you can't just inject diesel and NOS into the intake as you would in a petrol engine. The injected fuel would ignite far too early in the compression stroke, way before it should. Your engine will either basically stop dead or more likely break something expensive. Adding just NOS without extra fuel just wastes the nitrous since there isn't any extra fuel available for it to oxidize/burn, so it just gets thrown out of the exhaust. Doing this in a petrol engine would cause it to run lean, doing this in a diesel engine does nothing (besides wasting your precious nitrous).

What you can do is either

1) Add propane together with the nitrous. Propane has a higher octane rating than diesel and will not ignite too early. This method is quite common and tried and tested.

Also of note is that if you add a lot of nitrous you still need to retard the timing as you do with a petrol engine, the difference being of course that timing in a diesel is adjusted by changing the injection timing (since injection = ignition in a diesel).

I'm sure that was a joke and I simply sperged off for no reason, but whatever. The reason I know this is that my friends brother feels that 305hp/620Nm on the rear wheels on his BMW 335D isn't enough, and when we meet he's always eager to talk about his car and his plans for it with me.

vvv --- Well, I'd prefer if they'd just pipe the exhaust into the cabin, thereby solving the problem in another way, but if they added NOS they wouldn't be "rolling coal" because all that extra fuel (that comes out as black smoke) would be burned instead, giving MORE POWA and less soot.

Its easier to boost fuel and add more air than add nitrous to a diesel, I think we're safe.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) is a company (now owned by Holley) that specializes in nitrous oxide injection parts and systems.

N2O is nitrous oxide, the gas that is injected by a nitrous system.

You cannot inject a company into an engine. Please help me make the ringing in my head stop. :spergin:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Nidhg00670000 posted:

To begin with you can't just inject diesel and NOS into the intake as you would in a petrol engine. The injected fuel would ignite far too early in the compression stroke, way before it should.

How? I honestly don't understand how injecting something incredibly cold like N2O in a diesel would increase instead of decrease preignition.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Customer states vehicle was making a noice and died in our parking lot. Technician was unable to start the vehicle.

Hm.

Think I found it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
^^ For once you can actually trust the customer's report of the vehicle "dying" in the parking lot. Seems pretty literal to me.

SyHopeful posted:

How? I honestly don't understand how injecting something incredibly cold like N2O in a diesel would increase instead of decrease preignition.

It's the extra diesel that is the problem not the N2O here. The N2O requires extra fuel to burn, though.

On a gas engine you can just shoot extra gas in along with the N2O and it only burns when the spark hits it unless boost goes too high for the octane rating and compression ratio of the engine. On a diesel, the whole point is that ignition happens due to compression, so if you inject diesel along with the N2O as you would on a gas engine... it preignites whenever the hell the compression sets it off, which could be well before TDC, which is BAD.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 13, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

13 INCH DICK posted:

Customer states vehicle was making a noice and died in our parking lot. Technician was unable to start the vehicle.

Hm.

Think I found it.

This is like teasing. C'mon now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

13 INCH DICK posted:

Hm.

Think I found it.

Magnificent.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

True, they wouldn't be dicks who "roll coal", but they'd still be dicks. So I say you shouldn't (unwittingly) encourage them.

Unrelated fact: The best way to really piss off 'dem fag tree huggers is to prove that global warming is total LIEberal bullshit by piping your exhaust directly into your cab. Those hippies fuckin' hate that.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well, wouldn't that just make them ordinary "car enthusiasts"?
I would argue no, because a) they at one stage were "rolling coal" and they have to live with that for the rest of their lives, and b) anyone who uses NOS or N2O on the street is just a bit of a dick.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm sorry, don't you mean LIEberal? :freep:
Fixed.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 13, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) is a company (now owned by Holley) that specializes in nitrous oxide injection parts and systems.

N2O is nitrous oxide, the gas that is injected by a nitrous system.

You cannot inject a company into an engine. Please help me make the ringing in my head stop. :spergin:

Yeah, my bad. I blame watching F&F while being bedridden for almost three days with tonsillitis and accompaning migraine.

SyHopeful posted:

What kastein said.

Captain Postal posted:

True, they wouldn't be dicks who "roll coal", but they'd still be dicks. So I say you shouldn't (unwittingly) encourage them.

Well, wouldn't that just make them ordinary "car enthusiasts"?

Captain Postal posted:

Unrelated fact: The best way to really piss off 'dem fag tree huggers is to prove that global warming is total liberal bullshit by your piping exhaust directly into your cab. Those hippies fuckin' hate that.

I'm sorry, don't you mean LIEberal? :freep:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

kastein posted:

^^ For once you can actually trust the customer's report of the vehicle "dying" in the parking lot. Seems pretty literal to me.

It's the extra diesel that is the problem not the N2O here. The N2O requires extra fuel to burn, though.

On a gas engine you can just shoot extra gas in along with the N2O and it only burns when the spark hits it unless boost goes too high for the octane rating and compression ratio of the engine. On a diesel, the whole point is that ignition happens due to compression, so if you inject diesel along with the N2O as you would on a gas engine... it preignites whenever the hell the compression sets it off, which could be well before TDC, which is BAD.

So a lower A/F ratio in a diesel can directly lead to preignition? Or does the N2O make that possible? Man I know so little about diesels.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SyHopeful posted:

So a lower A/F ratio in a diesel can directly lead to preignition? Or does the N2O make that possible? Man I know so little about diesels.

You should probably re-read what I posted... that's not what I said at all.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
N2O adds oxygen, raising the A/F mixture, not lowering it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SyHopeful posted:

Diesels compress air, thereby heating it up to create an environment that will ignite the diesel fuel when injected.

The Nitrous Oxide would cause pre-ignition because it would not reach TDC (where the diesel itself would be injected) before igniting, causing it the engine to reverse direction with disastrous results.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SyHopeful posted:

A/F ratio has nothing to do with it. Only air enters the combustion chamber. The air is then compressed, this compression heats the air. Roughly around TDC of the compression stroke, fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber. The fuel is then ignited by the heat from the compressed air. If you already have fuel in the air coming in through to intake, it will ignite before the regular fuel introduction, causing pre-igintion, which is bad.

In an N2O system on a petrol car, you usually add extra fuel along with the N2O. In a diesel you can't do this, for reasons as above.

vvv --- Propane-N2O systems aren't super uncommon, but I agree that there are a lot easier ways to add power to a modern diesel. This whole derail was from me taking cakefools joke seriously. Sorry.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 13, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The way to PROPERLY inject N2O into a diesel is to do so with it mixed with water vapor at low volume.

But the power gains with water-methanol injection are much better and easier than N2O with a diesel anyways, so its rather moot. Once again, you can get more power from a diesel easily with bigger injectors and a larger forced air solution than the N2O is going to give you, and you can do it cheaper and safer for the motor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

The way to PROPERLY inject N2O into a diesel is to do so with it mixed with water vapor at low volume.

But the power gains with water-methanol injection are much better and easier than N2O with a diesel anyways, so its rather moot. Once again, you can get more power from a diesel easily with bigger injectors and a larger forced air solution than the N2O is going to give you, and you can do it cheaper and safer for the motor.

All the 1000hp guys run w/m, nitrous, AND propane.

Then again, they also blow their engines up all the time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

All the 1000hp guys run w/m, nitrous, AND propane.

Then again, they also blow their engines up all the time.

They also know that they will blow up the engine a lot. Its part of the risk of making that much power using additives like propane, water-methanol, and nitrous, like you said :)

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

kastein posted:

I don't work as a mechanic, I sit at a desk and design PCBs/write firmware all day. I do this poo poo for fun (there's something wrong with me...) and therefore workmans comp doesn't really help much.

No joke this is exactly what happened to me, except I was (barely) able to keep from pulling back, and only needed steroid eye ointment (guess what loving sucks to put on your eye twice a day?) instead of an eyepatch.

Wear your goddamn eye protection, guys. It's been 5 years and optometrists still comment on the fact that they can still see a slight mark in my cornea from that little incident. My vision is fine (20/15 corrected) but that eye gets dry and uncomfortable sooner if I'm dehydrated or out in the wind.

A while back, but at Boy Scout summer camp about 20 years ago, I was playing soccer in a large campsite and clotheslined myself across my left eye on bailing twine some shitheel strung between two trees. My open eye slid about a foot along the rough-as-gently caress twine and all I could feel was searing pain in my left eye. Doc had to pull some pieces of thread out of my eye and I wore a patch for a week, but I still see fine out of that eye.

To this day, there is scar tissue connecting my eye to my eye socket on the far left side of my left eye. Every new eye doc has to say something about it.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

:stare:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, it's a mechanical success for the designer of the pipe, at least. :shobon:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

drat, and I thought putting a piece of 3/4" iron pipe through one of the tires on the 5 ton (ran over the corner marker post of my property, didn't notice it buried in the underbrush) sucked. I'd hate to be the guy who has to pay for the new tire, or the guy who has to install it.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

kastein posted:

You should probably re-read what I posted... that's not what I said at all.

So more air and fuel than designed in a diesel can cause preignition, because there's more volume being compressed and therefore it hits its ignition point earlier in the compression stroke?

Snowdens Secret posted:

N2O adds oxygen, raising the A/F mixture, not lowering it

I know this much. kastein said the extra fuel is the problem, I'm trying to understand why. N2O serves the same basic function as a turbo or supercharger but diesels love boost, so what makes N2O different is what I'm apparently failing to grasp.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SyHopeful posted:

So more air and fuel than designed in a diesel can cause preignition, because there's more volume being compressed and therefore it hits its ignition point earlier in the compression stroke?

No no no, you are missing entirely: Diesel fuel is not present in the air like gasoline is in the air of a petrol car.

Diesel Cycle:

Intake (Air Only)
Compression
Injection of Diesel Fuel and Ignition
Combustion
Exhaust.

The diesel fuel is injected AFTER the air is taken in and compressed. If the diesel fuel was added during intake, it would never reach TDC and detonate, once again reversing the engine direction catastrophically.

Adding the N2O would enrich the oxygen in the air to the point where it could self-ignite when compressed and heated, never getting to the point where diesel would be injected. You can get around this in a couple different ways, but mostly through accurate metering of air/N2O enrichment so that the N2O does not exceed the quanity of normal O2 pulled in. Propane is used as a suspension to seperate the N2O molecules so they will not pre-ignite (ironically, given the flammability of propane).

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 13, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Stop thinking about the N2O at all, it's WHY you need to put more fuel into the engine as well, but it has no part in causing the preignition.

Preignition in this case is caused by putting diesel into the engine before the injectors fire (because you're trying to bring it in along with the charge air.) Diesels work by compressing the charge air to well above the point that will cause self ignition when the fuel is injected by the injector; then you just inject the fuel when you want it to ignite. If you put diesel into the charge air, it ignites at some uncertain point prior to then - depending entirely on when the fuel hits the flash point for the given cylinder pressure it's presently at. This could be significantly before TDC, which is going to try and turn the engine the wrong direction when it's already turning pretty quickly the right direction, which only ends in sadness, crushed bearings, lunched pistons, and "customized" cranks and connecting rods.

That's why they typically put propane in with the charge air on nitrous injected diesels, as mentioned - propane has a high enough octane rating that it won't preignite, so it just goes along for the ride with the nitrous and charge air, then burns along with the fuel when the fuel gets injected and instantly starts burning.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Edit:

kastein posted:

Stop thinking about the N2O at all, it's WHY you need to put more fuel into the engine as well, but it has no part in causing the preignition.

Preignition in this case is caused by putting diesel into the engine before the injectors fire (because you're trying to bring it in along with the charge air.) Diesels work by compressing the charge air to well above the point that will cause self ignition when the fuel is injected by the injector; then you just inject the fuel when you want it to ignite. If you put diesel into the charge air, it ignites at some uncertain point prior to then - depending entirely on when the fuel hits the flash point for the given cylinder pressure it's presently at. This could be significantly before TDC, which is going to try and turn the engine the wrong direction when it's already turning pretty quickly the right direction, which only ends in sadness, crushed bearings, lunched pistons, and "customized" cranks and connecting rods.

That's why they typically put propane in with the charge air on nitrous injected diesels, as mentioned - propane has a high enough octane rating that it won't preignite, so it just goes along for the ride with the nitrous and charge air, then burns along with the fuel when the fuel gets injected and instantly starts burning.

Is my post VVV (didn't see your post before I replied) more accurate, then?

CommieGIR posted:

No no no, you are missing entirely: Diesel fuel is not present in the air like gasoline is in the air of a petrol car.

Diesel Cycle:

Intake (Air Only)
Compression
Injection of Diesel Fuel and Ignition
Combustion
Exhaust.

The diesel fuel is injected AFTER the air is taken in and compressed. If the diesel fuel was added during intake, it would never reach TDC and detonate, once again reversing the engine direction catastrophically.

So the compression stroke superheats the air and at TDC the fuel is injected, which is ignited by the hot air. Do I have it now?

I'd always thought that the fuel was injected before TDC, so that the air and fuel were mixed pre-TDC.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 13, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^No mixing necessary, there's enough heat to ignite the initial charge, which releases more heat, and there's always extra air so you will always get a clean burn, which is the purpose of pre-mixing in a gasoline engine.

I think people are assuming it'd be a wet shot system like a gas engine, where extra fuel is injected by a dedicated injector alongside the N2O. I imagine the ideal setup on a diesel would be to do a dry shot (N2O only, no fuel) and then program the computer to add extra fuel when you hit the shot to take advantage of the extra oxygen content.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SyHopeful posted:

So the compression stroke superheats the air and at TDC the fuel is injected, which is ignited by the hot air. Do I have it now?

I'd always thought that the fuel was injected before TDC, so that the air and fuel were mixed pre-TDC.

Yup, thats how it works. Fuel is injected at roughly 0.1- before TDC, but VERY close to exact TDC to maximize the efficiency of work.

The fuel burns right when it enters the air, they are mixed by a 'burn bowl' on the piston that encourages the diesel fuel to mix more efficiently with the air. On an indirect injection diesel, the air/fuel is initiated in a pre-chamber and then the resulting gas is directed into the cylinder.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 13, 2014

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, thats how it works. Fuel is injected at roughly 0.1- before TDC, but VERY close to exact TDC to maximize the efficiency of work.

The fuel burns right when it enters the air, they are mixed by a 'burn bowl' on the piston that encourages the diesel fuel to mix more efficiently with the air.

Okay. I got it now, thanks fellas. :downs:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Discussions like this are why I love this drat forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry for this everyone. :shobon:

Here's a cool animation of a simulation of fuel being injected in a diesel. It's not a mechanical failure.