Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

W.T. Fits posted:

No Crazy Chocobo in the XIII-2 section. :negative:

That aside, looking forward to this.

It'll be DLC... I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

fronz posted:

I am deeply upset nobody beat me to saying gently caress yeah Crystal Chronicles

Awesome as it is that they're including it, I'm not completely on board with the selection of tracks. It really could have used more of the dungeon tracks, since that's where the soundtrack really shines.

Though I guess you also need to make sure the tracks are fast enough and/or have a good enough beat to properly play rhythm gameplay with it, but there's still a couple songs for that. (1 2 3 4)

Looper posted:

Crystal Chronicles is one of those few tragic games that works better as a soundtrack.

I've heard a few rumors that there's some "multiplayer mode" and it's "kinda fun" but you know how videogame rumors are.

I played hundreds of hours of Crystal Chronicles with my brother and friends. It was an amazing game if you actually got it going.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Me and my friends each coincidentally had the extra poo poo. And it was glorious.

But it was still fun alone and if you disagree you're wrong please see a mental health professional.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Any tips for a newcomer to XIII-2? I needed a game to test out my new PS3 and make sure it's working good and XIII-2 was the cheapest RPG they had at Movie Trading.

• It's an easy game and it's not particularly serious until the end so just kick back and have a good time putting moustaches on robots etc.
  • If you go somewhere and it pops up "CHAPTER WHATEVER PART 2" and you haven't done part 1 yet, jump out to the map asap and come back later.
  • When someone tells you to go find a bunch of invisible macguffins just grab a gamefaqs and get it done. What a dumb quest.
  • The DLC is pretty cool if you like tough battles and/or sweet card games.
  • Decide early if you want to bother maximising your stats because you need to be doing some arcane poo poo with your levelups. IMO not worth it for a slight edge against the DLCs, but it's up to you.

Oxxidation posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to Chronobind.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 12, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
To this day I have a box in my room with three GBAs and four link cables I've managed to build up over the last several years... it sits in my room, waiting.

One day.

(I had a plan to do a group LP of it at one point but that fell through for a bunch of reasons.)

FF:CC is a hella fun game to play multiplayer, so long as you're good at not arguing over who carries the bucket and at least two players have figured out how to carpet-bomb -aga spells.

Plus the music is astoundingly good. (It's just a shame the soundtrack versions don't incorporate the level intros with the faded-in instruments and the little story narration).

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 12, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Any tips for a newcomer to XIII-2? I needed a game to test out my new PS3 and make sure it's working good and XIII-2 was the cheapest RPG they had at Movie Trading.

Dehumanize yourself and face to Chronobind.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Further to this:

Fedule posted:

Plus the music is astoundingly good. (It's just a shame the soundtrack versions don't incorporate the level intros with the faded-in instruments and the little story narration).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBZJy0vAoyg&t=13s

Here's the same track in context (starts 12 seconds in). Give this video a look to see the way I wish all whimsical JRPGs would introduce their dungeons and handle their music. Even in this guy's lovely 360p quality-murdering capture you still gotta appreciate the aesthetics of that game.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 12, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

• It's an easy game and it's not particularly serious until the end so just kick back and have a good time putting moustaches on robots etc.
  • If you go somewhere and it pops up "CHAPTER WHATEVER PART 2" and you haven't done part 1 yet, jump out to the map asap and come back later.
  • When someone tells you to go find a bunch of invisible macguffins just grab a gamefaqs and get it done. What a dumb quest.
  • The DLC is pretty cool if you like tough battles and/or sweet card games.
  • Decide early if you want to bother maximising your stats because you need to be doing some arcane poo poo with your levelups. IMO not worth it for a slight edge against the DLCs, but it's up to you.

Thanks for the advice but aren't there like multiple endings and poo poo? Should I be aiming for any one in particular?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
There are multiple endings but you need to beat the game regularly the first time, and get the normal ending first.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Thanks for the advice but aren't there like multiple endings and poo poo? Should I be aiming for any one in particular?

There's only one actual ending to the story, but after you see it you can go back and mess with the plot at various points for some "bad end" type things. They're great, and nothing is missable. Time travel rules.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 12, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
All you need to know is that the canon ending is Snow and Serah having magical adventures on their time traveling robot motorcycle.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

What you don't have 3 friends and hundreds of dollars in additional videogames and accessories that can only be used in three games for the system? And one of those friends doesn't want to be stuck on chalice duty and literally not get to do anything but move the cup? Thats crazy talk.

It was kind of fun when you got it going but not remotely worth the investment.

Zelda Four Swords was an actual blast and I'm baffled that they never brought the idea back with either DS' wireless capabilities.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Zelda Four Swords was an actual blast and I'm baffled that they never brought the idea back with either DS' wireless capabilities.
They made a 3DS cloneport of Four Swords GBA :downs:

Four Swords Adventures was pretty fun, but some of those puzzles got a little out of hand. We were stuck for literally an entire afternoon in Kakariko Village because we couldn't figure out "jump and then throw the guy you're carrying to get across the gap to push the barrels." But not as long as we were stuck on the Agahnim-style shadow boss because our one friend was a gigantic loving idiot who couldn't time his deflections. He was so legendarily bad at it that we give him poo poo about it even now, nearly a decade later.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

precision posted:

Why isn't Theatrhythm on Android?! :negative:

It would be cheaper to buy a 3DS and the game than it would be to get all the songs that come with the 3DS game on iOS, so you're kind of in luck honestly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

They made a 3DS cloneport of Four Swords GBA :downs:

Four Swords Adventures was pretty fun, but some of those puzzles got a little out of hand. We were stuck for literally an entire afternoon in Kakariko Village because we couldn't figure out "jump and then throw the guy you're carrying to get across the gap to push the barrels." But not as long as we were stuck on the Agahnim-style shadow boss because our one friend was a gigantic loving idiot who couldn't time his deflections. He was so legendarily bad at it that we give him poo poo about it even now, nearly a decade later.

They made a Four Swords 3DS port that they gave away free for a day or two, and didn't advertise it well at all so lots of people didn't hear about it until after it ended because Nintendo are incompetent fucks when it comes to the internet. :negative:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I'm playing FF XIII-2 for the first time ever

This game is WEIRD but I really really like it

I think the most bizarre thing about 13-2 is it feels like the dev team sat down and thought out the mechanics for like three final fantasy games and an s-e original ip offshoot game a la kingdom hearts, twewy, bravely default...then they panicked and just crammed every single idea in there so it's like you're constantly doing random poo poo

Coming from 13 being the ultimate in a focused experience it's just weird in here when it's ADHD gameplay

Also

No gods. No masters. Only chronobind

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sefal posted:

get all destruction spheres. Besaid and macalania temple get blocked off.
I remember a young me going back to Besaid to get the destruction sphere for Anima, and got completely annihilated by dark Valevor

At college a couple of weeks ago I watched a guy finally get 0.00 on catcher Chocobo, twice (the first time he didn't have the celestial mirror), amid much much swearing, then triumphantly paraded his vita around screaming "I did it! gently caress the loving CHOCOBO RACES!"

Then he stumbled onto dark magus sisters and died

He hadn't saved in that time

I literally could not stop laughing at him

Then I died in the shrine of amana like fifty billion times so

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've never played the first Theatrhythm despite being a fan of the music, is it worth playing?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kanfy posted:

I've never played the first Theatrhythm despite being a fan of the music, is it worth playing?

Not with Curtain Call on its way, no.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4McFphSfHq8&t=76s

Can anybody tell me what game this music is from? It sounds kinda cool.

E: the part where it shows the party fighting the mandragora bosses

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

LadyPictureShow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4McFphSfHq8&t=76s

Can anybody tell me what game this music is from? It sounds kinda cool.

E: the part where it shows the party fighting the mandragora bosses

That's The Price of Freedom from Crisis Core. Great theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJ91H4mraU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Kanfy posted:

Oh, that IS a great theme. Is all of Crisis Core's music this good?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Most of them are full orchestra remixs of FFVII's music, so yeah, they're bretty good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Price of Freedom is probably the one real standout original track but it's one hell of a good original track.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's also Under the Apple Tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6MF0IfsvQ

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
After seeing Captain America 2: Patriotic Boogaloo I can't help but imagine that song playing in the background when he gave that speech in SHIELD headquarters.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, Crisis Core had a great soundtrack. My favourite is one I think was original, SOLDIER Battle I think it was called?

Aw, it just occurred to me that if there's one bad thing about Bravely Default not technically being a Final Fantasy it's that stuff from the soundtrack probably won't make it to Theatrhythm.

Oh well, I'll probably still get it anyway. Never got round to the first game, guess I'll just wait for the sequel.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

McDragon posted:

Aw, it just occurred to me that if there's one bad thing about Bravely Default not technically being a Final Fantasy it's that stuff from the soundtrack probably won't make it to Theatrhythm.

I don't think they'll draw the line that sharply.

The sequel (Curtain Call) also contains songs from the SaGa series, so I could easily see some BD songs coming as DLC somewhere down the line.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The onlY Bravely Default song that really matters is the vocal version of Vagrant of Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHdnI1OpsA0

Partial Love, Partial Light
Partial Light, Partial Link

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Gologle posted:

All you need to know is that the canon ending is Snow and Serah having magical adventures on their time traveling robot motorcycle.

Honestly I would have preferred that over the actual ending :smith:

Also, is theatrerhythm: the seconding available only on 3DS? Because I'd play the poo poo out of that on my Vita or iPhone.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
The actual ending to FFXIII-2 is the best. It's such a straight "gently caress you" to everyone.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

The onlY Bravely Default song that really matters is the vocal version of Vagrant of Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHdnI1OpsA0

Partial Love, Partial Light
Partial Light, Partial Link

Serpent Eating the Horizon begs to differ. :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBTIUzPpEQ

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kanfy posted:

If there's one good thing you can say about the Compilation(and there pretty much is only the one), it's that the soundtracks are always good.
Even Dirge of Cerberus had cool music.

Also I really don't like XIII-2... The combat seems worse than XIII to me but everyone told me it was better.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Also, is theatrerhythm: the seconding available only on 3DS? Because I'd play the poo poo out of that on my Vita or iPhone.

The original game is on iOS, but you're going to have to pay for every single song past the first three. Assuming they don't change the pricing model for whatever iOS port eventually happens, it'll run you ~$200 for the full track list of Curtain Call. Still interested? :v:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Artix posted:

The original game is on iOS, but you're going to have to pay for every single song past the first three. Assuming they don't change the pricing model for whatever iOS port eventually happens, it'll run you ~$200 for the full track list of Curtain Call. Still interested? :v:

:negative:

That's loving retarded. It would be cheaper to buy a 3DS. I'll just have to hope they port it to Vita later.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

NikkolasKing posted:

If there's one good thing you can say about the Compilation(and there pretty much is only the one), it's that the soundtracks are always good.
Even Dirge of Cerberus had cool music.

Also I really don't like XIII-2... The combat seems worse than XIII to me but everyone told me it was better.
As XIII-2 is so vastly easier than XIII, it's far more of an exercise to build paradigms and a team in general that can finish random encounters in as little time as possible (never mind the stars). That is its own kind of challenge and vastly improves flow if you try to approach it like that. Also, because you don't have that much to gain from it, as soon as you got the monster to try out or feed to another one, just never fight the encounters again. Pick your fights and finish them fast, it's really different but I overall much prefer the game to its predecessor.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Simply Simon posted:

As XIII-2 is so vastly easier than XIII, it's far more of an exercise to build paradigms and a team in general that can finish random encounters in as little time as possible (never mind the stars). That is its own kind of challenge and vastly improves flow if you try to approach it like that. Also, because you don't have that much to gain from it, as soon as you got the monster to try out or feed to another one, just never fight the encounters again. Pick your fights and finish them fast, it's really different but I overall much prefer the game to its predecessor.

The difficulty spike in 13 is so loving sharp and so loving annoying it took a fairly mediocre game and just killed it for me. Every enemy becomes a sack of HP and you basically always have to use the same paradigms against the same enemies, and every single encounter is just SO loving long. The game opens up, but in a really lazy way, with fetch quests sprouting up and, after 25 hours or so they actually finally have a fork in the road, and one of the forks just leads to some bullshit giant robot that kills you right away or something.

Then you get to the stupid little village and fight Space Pope again and he sucks and this game sucks and that's where I stopped playing.

The only genuinely fun portion of that game was that big tower level, and that's because it's basically just a FF12 dungeon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You thought the best part was that crappy tower on Pulse? I mean, yes, it was clearly TRYING to be an FFXII dungeon but it failed at it in every way. "Go here and kill this!" "Now go here and kill that!" Rinse and repeat. Plus the whole place was just ugly and boring so even the "it's nice to look at/has cool msuic" excuse doesn't fly like for most of the game.

I think my favorite area in XIII was Eden Under Siege but since you didn't get that far I guess I would have thought the Palamecia be the coolest part. (the big ship where you first fight the Pope)

The end of XIII is such a schizo game for me. I loathed Pulse, I absolutely loved Eden, and then I hated Orphan's Cradle. I was like "this game sucks" and then "Okay I'm back onboard" and then "I'm never playing this again."

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I got my collectors edition of final fantasy 14 today. The company I pre ordered it, sent it early, because the release date is on a Monday and there are no package delivery's on Monday. (they are pretty awesome for doing that). But I should wait till Monday before registering my copy, and just ride out the early access. or is there no harm if I register it now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hey I enjoyed Pulse, but then again, I was warned ahead of time I'd need to do some heavy grinding at soon as you touch down on it to even survive random encounters, and I did!

e: Also one area on Pulse just plays elevator muzak and it never fails to not make me laugh